• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

thats a little overboard lol

Can't help it, I'm exploring as much of Prague as I can before moving on. There are so many routes and interesting things to see, it's been fun.

I'm almost done with that though so I'll be moving onto the side missions probably in my next session.

The best part of it is that you're still a pacifist.

I also discovered that alarms triggered by rogue turrets don't count as you triggering them. I still got Smooth Operator after I hacked a random turret in the bank to waste everyone on a floor.

Carrying a hacked turret around to kill everyone for you is genius though, I'm definitely going to do that sometime.

Guttertrash

Neo Member
Been pretty bored so far. Not sure how the cover system is less intuitive than gears of war was over 8 years ago. The exploration is really cool though, I just really don't enjoy the combat. I was going to do a ghost run but since I wasn't given enough ammo for my tranq rifle, it become too much of a chore. Still one of the best AAAs to come out this year, but that's a pretty low standard.

Does anyone else think it's weird how you can hear Adam's voice but not the people talking to him on his comm-link?

I can't get into this game. It just seems so slow and boring.

I spend myself walking around limited hubs, with nothing to do. They don't feel like toy boxes with distractions, but just turgid spaces that I have to walk through just to get to the next mission.

And, when that mission comes, it involves intolerable and long cutscenes with characters seemingly made of plastic.

The game design and animation just seems so mid 2000s.

Am I missing something? Does it get better?
This is exactly how I feel. I'm also surprised with people loving Prague, I'm hating it at the moment.

BeeDog

Still loving the game and exploring the many nooks and crannies of Prague. It's hard to mentally map all the different paths and keeping count on what you need to follow up on. The main complaint I have so far is that the game seems to have a tendency to allow you access to areas which should be story-related. If you get there outside of a story, it's just an environment to explore without any challenges, which is boring. These areas should've been locked out until you hit the specified (side) mission.

nOoblet16

Been pretty bored so far. Not sure how the cover system is less intuitive than gears of war was over 8 years ago. The exploration is really cool though, I just really don't enjoy the combat. I was going to do a ghost run but since I wasn't given enough ammo for my tranq rifle, it become too much of a chore. Still one of the best AAAs to come out this year, but that's a pretty low standard.

Does anyone else think it's weird how you can hear Adam's voice but not the people talking to him on his comm-link?
If you are playing on PS4 and have your DS4 speakers off then that happens, either turn it on or switch the info link speakers fromDS4 to television.

SomTervo

I saw a comment thread somewhere that fixated on whether Adam still had functioning male junk. It's juvenile, but it speaks to how disconnected we are from his psychology - we don't even know if he's been effectively neutered by his transformation. And if not, we don't know whether he's sexually active, or whether he's so weirded out by everything that he's become celibate.

In his apartment if you shower you can pretty clearly see that he's all-aug from the belly-down.

No sexing for Jensen, I'm afraid.

It was a bit harrowing to notice and for me, actually did provide some insight into the character. I fully agree that he is a bit of a wet fart, though.

I think it's all story at this point. It's difficult for me to differentiate what story beats (including side quests) have potential of being good. I was unsure about this game to begin with so it's just a rental. I'm not upset, just wondering if I should force myself to stick with it. It sounds like I shouldn't :)

Yeah TBH the story is so un-gripping in this one it's actually funny. I can't believe how turgid they made almost every piece of dialogue. There are moments where it's like "yeah, this is cool" but they come like once an hour at most.

Good thing the gameplay is great.

I was asking my brother how does he shit/piss and I don't think these are juvenile questions to ask. You can see waist down he's all machine.

Would be interesting to know how he feels about it all. Especially sex drive.

nOoblet16

In his apartment if you shower you can pretty clearly see that he's all-aug from the belly-down.

No sexing for Jensen, I'm afraid.

It was a bit harrowing to notice and for me, actually did provide some insight into the character. I fully agree that he is a bit of a wet fart, though.

Yeah TBH the story is so un-gripping in this one it's actually funny. I can't believe how turgid they made almost every piece of dialogue. There are moments where it's like "yeah, this is cool" but they come like once an hour at most.

Good thing the gameplay is great.
Pretty damn sure it's been mentioned that he is only augmented from his knee and down.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Try as much, and despite being a huge fan of the series, I just cannot get into this game. There's fun buried in there but I just do not care about anything. It's so flat and dull and zzzzzzz. I don't even care about Prague, despite recognising how many cool secrets the hub has, and its impressive density. Nothing has a presence, and I feel no weight or brevity to the locations, the writing, the cast, and the direction. Like even Prague doesn't feel "Deus Ex" to me, just a weird mish mash of artist dreamy trendy European cyberpunk-lite design. I feel no sense of it being a society impacted by a major event. I feel no authenticity or commitment to a strong thematic vision. I'm gonna keep trying to get into it but I'm really, really disappointed in my own reaction.

televator

I'm at the point where you have to chose between one objective or another... Holly rucking shit doe the game make it severely annoying in the first way that I attempted it. Why make it a choice if you're just going to annoy the hell out of me I try to progress one way?

w0s

So I started my new game plus but upped the difficulty to what was the max the first time. I gotta say the fucking map sucks now. Sure a lot is familiar but at the same point sometimes it can just be so obtuse. Wish they kept the map/location showing from the normal setting.

ffvorax

So, best difficulty to choose to play first time considering I would like to complete it again without killing anyone on a second playtrought? (not considering for the first playtrought 'cause probably will be more fun to try different choose on the first play...)

CHC

Try as much, and despite being a huge fan of the series, I just cannot get into this game. There's fun buried in there but I just do not care about anything. It's so flat and dull and zzzzzzz. I don't even care about Prague, despite recognising how many cool secrets the hub has, and its impressive density. Nothing has a presence, and I feel no weight or brevity to the locations, the writing, the cast, and the direction. Like even Prague doesn't feel "Deus Ex" to me, just a weird mish mash of artist dreamy trendy European cyberpunk-lite design. I feel no sense of it being a society impacted by a major event. I feel no authenticity or commitment to a strong thematic vision. I'm gonna keep trying to get into it but I'm really, really disappointed in my own reaction.

I am liking the game a lot but I won't refute any of your points - I see where you're coming from and when it comes to dialogue, characters, and the events of the world - well, I really couldn't care less about them. I'm often tempted to skip dialogue just because everyone talks too much and too slowly with too little to say.

In terms of art direction, I think on its own its great, but the extremely futuristic look doesn't really aid relatability. As interesting as some of the designs can be I kind of miss the original game's "normcore" look where people just wore regular ass clothes and the world looked pretty much like it does now, with a couple high tech doodads here and there. This feels like an artist planned it from the top down - which is fine, and beautiful - just not that plausible.

What's hooked me is the huge, labyrinthine hub of Prague - breaking into and out of places, finding new uses for my augmentations and abilities, and just witnessing some really good environmental storytelling. In future games I can definitely live with the art remaining the same despite its jarring differences from the original Deus Ex, but if they want me to care about anything that's going on they need to up their game in terms of characterization and animation. All of the dialogue is just so un-fun and unengaging, and the fact that 90% of the time it's just two static characters talking and occasionally doing canned emotes makes the whole process of investigating via dialogue feel dry and uninteresting.

Iceternal

Did you like Human Revolution though ?

I agree it's a very disappointing sequel.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
not really related, but other than the SE store (which is out of stock right now), where can one get a collector's edition of the PC version in the US?

Cairnsay

Banned
Hi! Can anyone help me with a rough guide as to how long I have left:

Just got back from the GARM facility. It's raining, and Prague is in lockdown.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

You have to get them both done in a certain amount of time, I read somewhere around 10 minutes but I finished at around 7 thanks to conveniently placed floor ducts on your way to
save the delegates. If you plan on fighting Marchenko instead of using the kill switch you should go for the delegates first.

mbpm1

You have to get them both done in a certain amount of time, I read somewhere around 10 minutes but I finished at around 7 thanks to conveniently placed floor ducts on your way to
save the delegates. If you plan on fighting Marchenko instead of using the kill switch you should go for the delegates first.

So it's actually timed? Good to know for a next playthrough. Are there any other situations that are timed? Like is going to save
the bomb maker and rob the bank doable?

Window

I think HRs art direction while very good felt rather uninspired and definitely unlike anything in the original in tone. It felt like another take on the Blade-Runner aesthetic (albeit a good one). MD brings more originality to its world creations while feeling more authentic. While Prague is missing the more outlandish sci-fi architecture of something like Hengsha, Golem city comes fairly close (and is another slice of the Blade Runner look).

Ruff

So it's actually timed? Good to know for a next playthrough. Are there any other situations that are timed? Like is going to save

I don't think so. I hadn't even entered the bank yet and decided to check out the other location, the police were already there and a lot of shit apparently went down really fast

There is no way to do both. They intentionally lock you out of one.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What transfer within a NG+? Literally everything? Your money, your inventory and your aug skills? So you can actually get every aug skills during a NG+ playthrough?

Jeffrey

Interesting, so I guess i did that quickly.

used the bombmakers deadswitch, stealthed, shot him with emp pistol, then meleed to knock him out. Then slowly wondered to the other place (got lost) and accidentally fell down into the elevator, which might have been a shortcut? idk. Saved everyone.

I'm a little miffed about the start of this game. Getting dropped into the city it seemed I was about to be given the freedom of choice but if anything it's all an illusion still right now. The amount of options are limiting since you're stuck in this phase of your AUG's being screwed up and it's going on a bit long to be honest.

Then there's just situations that make no sense. For instance I'm currently doing the
papers quest
at the start and
confronting the dude leaves me surrounded by 4 guys armed and ready to shoot, with nowhere to take cover in time without dying. Essentially I have to pay up or let him go about his business.

ecierif

What transfer within a NG+? Literally everything? Your money, your inventory and your aug skills? So you can actually get every aug skills during a NG+ playthrough?
I believe you get everything Jensen is carrying, money, Praxis kits and unlocked skills. My apartment storage reset. I think leveling for Praxis kits resets to its original lower value too.

And I believe I got a load of Praxis kits from that guy near the beginning of the game again, so you should be able to unlock everything.

w0s

I'm a little miffed about the start of this game. Getting dropped into the city it seemed I was about to be given the freedom of choice but if anything it's all an illusion still right now. The amount of options are limiting since you're stuck in this phase of your AUG's being screwed up and it's going on a bit long to be honest.

Then there's just situations that make no sense. For instance I'm currently doing the
papers quest
at the start and
confronting the dude leaves me surrounded by 4 guys armed and ready to shoot, with nowhere to take cover in time without dying. Essentially I have to pay up or let him go about his business.

Honestly on my second play through I finished mission 2 first before starting the side quests. Since it is very clear when side quests will lock out there is no harm in doing that to get back your augs.

I got my augs back in less than 5 minutes.

Window

papers quest
at the start and

You can get your augs fixed as the first thing once you're in the city.

i was starting to get afraid the pacifist and foxiest achievements were bugged on me, but apparently they unlock after the 10-ish minute credits end (even after the post-credit scene), NOT after the actual game's ending. and you can't skip them. anyway.

all in all, great game. narrative wise a bit weak, but the gameplay is absolutely fantastic. such a shame the story didn't reach its potential, because that would have made this the best deus ex allround for me, above the original and human revolution.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

No, that mission is one or the other and impacts your options for the final mission.
If you choose the bomb maker you get a switch to deactivate Marchenko's bombs, if you choose the bank you get antidote should the delegates drink the champagne. But you really shouldn't need either because getting to the delegates quickly is laughably easy to do.

Top Bottom