• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

Then there's just situations that make no sense. For instance I'm currently doing the
papers quest
at the start and
confronting the dude leaves me surrounded by 4 guys armed and ready to shoot, with nowhere to take cover in time without dying. Essentially I have to pay up or let him go about his business.

You have lots of other options, both to take care of the papers guy and to bypass the blockade.
to get past the blockade, you can use superjump and go high, or sneak through the side passage
. If you don't want to pay up,
just asking him but not confronting him will trigger the quest steps to investigate how they are making the papers, which gives you a much safer way of surviving.

I'm sure this had been mentioned many times, but the back of Jensen's head keeps clipping through the collar of his default jacket and it'd driving me crazy. It's in every. single. conversation.

nOoblet16

I'm a little miffed about the start of this game. Getting dropped into the city it seemed I was about to be given the freedom of choice but if anything it's all an illusion still right now. The amount of options are limiting since you're stuck in this phase of your AUG's being screwed up and it's going on a bit long to be honest.

Then there's just situations that make no sense. For instance I'm currently doing the
papers quest
at the start and
confronting the dude leaves me surrounded by 4 guys armed and ready to shoot, with nowhere to take cover in time without dying. Essentially I have to pay up or let him go about his business.

What? you can get your augs fixed the first thing when you get to the city.

Plus every area in this game can be entered alternatively without using augs, I don't think there is even a single area which you can't enter because you don't have a particular aug or any aug, they can all be entered using something like stacking up boxes or breaking the door, all the augs do is provide you an alternative and faster way of doing the same.

As for your other situation, You have 5 options there itself that and none require augs, you can sneak past them, you can get a side quest from him that will lead to solving this problem, you can pay him up, you can shoot him from across the street so that no one sees you or you can fight head on by confronting and it is certainly possible to do that even if difficult (which it is for the right reason).

The choice is there, you are just not noticing it.

Timeaisis

lol, initially I felt similarly but soon realized how silly that was. I'd rather enjoy a few of the experimental augs than none at all. Just deactivate augs that don't fit your playstyle... I mean,
you get access to any deactivated augs later anyway if you finish Koller's side mission.

You do? I wish I would have known that earlier. The game a was all like "PERMANATELY".

Regginator

You have to get them both done in a certain amount of time, I read somewhere around 10 minutes but I finished at around 7 thanks to conveniently placed floor ducts on your way to
save the delegates. If you plan on fighting Marchenko instead of using the kill switch you should go for the delegates first.

I don't think it was timed, or at least definitely not 10 minutes. I (M17)
rescued Brown and the delegates
first, then went to subdue (M16)
Marchenko
, but I took my sweet ass time in both objectives. There was at least 20-30 minutes between the two.

Would it be possible to completely clear out Prague of civilians etc? I mean kill them all? I killed everyone in Adams apartment block and dumped their bodies in the sewer. There might be something wrong with me :D

Finished the game stealth first time and got the trophy, so now just having some fun on NG+

Marchenko
, but I took my sweet ass time in both objectives. There was at least 20-30 minutes between the two.
Not if you did it in reverse order.

nOoblet16

Marchenko

It's definitely timed,
you have about 10 minutes which is enough if you save delegates first but not if you do it the other way around. In addition to the timer you also have to remain unseen if when trying to take out the 11 guards and also when you want to go for the delegates first.

Jeffrey

Finished the game last night , its just hard to classify this game mentally. It's a game i finished in 1 week, which is rare these days, so that does mean I had a good time with it.

Love Prague and everything about it (now if only there was less sidequest objectives that require you to go back and forth between the 2 zones with long loading). Heck most of the separate story mission zones were great.

It's just the whole main story bits that's baffling. I assume they were trying to treat this game as the 'middle chapter' in a trilogy, but it feels even less than that. Like almost a side story. I put 20+ hours into this game, yet the main story missions were a tiny fraction of that.

It's almost like they spend a sizable amount of time building Prague, then started on story stuff, then ran out of time and shipped it lol.

Good game regardless. The ending hints at
more hidden augs and features in Jensen,
so hopefully the core gameplay systems get some major additions in the sequel. Can't rehash HR twice.

I still feel like the energy system could use an overhaul, or at the very least I hope in the sequel you aren't so nerfed out of the gate. Waiting around for energy to recharge to melee a dude is the absolute worst.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
So regarding the GRAM facility mission

I chose to contact Miller when I woke up and I get an auto alarm past a certain point in the mission right after Chikane calls me. Should I have chosen Alex at the start to avoid this?

Ruff

I chose to contact Miller when I woke up and I get an auto alarm past a certain point in the mission right after Chikane calls me. Should I have chosen Alex at the start to avoid this?

As far as I know it' scripted to happen automatically at a certain point. I picked the other option, too.

Jeffrey

I got no alarm when I contacted
alex.

Tizoc

Hmm i chose the other one and didnt get it
Are u sure u didnt leave any ko-ed bodies lying around in rooms?

Ruff

Well that sucks then. There goes my pacifist/no alarms run.

Edit: I was thinking of my second save where no alarm went off, sorry. Yeah, seems like you're boned unless you have a backup save beforehand. Sucks that they do that to you, but the game does give you quite a few hints about the situation.

It's weird. I contacted
Alex
and got the random alarm too. I heard of others saying it was supposed to happen and doesn't actually mess with your achievements and like so didn't ruin mine. I figured it was some story based thing.
Did you
use the ice driller thing?

Just got this game in the mail. About to boot it up and am hype! Haven't played a Deus Ex game before but all the talk on here has gotten me really interested.

Any tips for a complete newbie?

Just got this game in the mail. About to boot it up and am hype! Haven't played a Deus Ex game before but all the talk on here has gotten me really interested.

The game is about freedom. If what you're trying isn't working there are multiple other ways of going about it. Don't force anything. Be flexible and you'll have a great time.

Ruff

Make different saves for each story mission. There are some places where you will most likely want to do something a different way, especially in the later parts.

It's almost like they spend a sizable amount of time building Prague, then started on story stuff, then ran out of time and shipped it lol.

See I think in terms of main story content the games are pretty comparable. In HR for mission specific locations you had:

Sarif Factory
Highland Park
Tai Young Medical
Picus
Singapore
Pangea

The rest were in hubs.

in MD you have:

Dubai
Golem City
GARM
London

And I would argue that Golem City is so large it's the equivalent of 2 of the mission areas from HR. And the bank is easily the equivalent of of a specific mission area as well (if you take that mission), it's just that MD does a very Deus Ex-y thing and lets you explore it at any point in the game which puts it in an odd area between side quest and main story.

Ruzika Station too but that's kind of small.

It's just the pacing that is radically different. HR has a very clear story escalation that kicks in about halfway through when you get to TYM. From that point on there are no new hubs and only a couple of sidequests. It gives the story propulsion. Further, it bounces you back and forth between Detroit and Hengsha throughout the game and that gives it scope and variance of pacing that doesn't exist in MD.

I think you could keep the content of the game nearly identical and just change the structure a bit by
Breaking up Golem into 2 separate visits (making it feel more like a hub) and making the bank main mission mandatory and locate it in a different city. You could keep the interior identical and just say it's in NYC or something
and the game immediately gains a bit more scope and feels more like HR in the process.

MD instead just keeps things on an even keel. It never really goes into overdrive. You still get meaty sidequests doled at every turn, even late in the game. Personally, I dig it. MD, to me, is Deus Ex Noir. You're a hard boiled detective unraveling the threads of the criminal underground in a city and it has that slow burn pacing so typical of noir. But that's a big departure from the rest of the series and won't be to every taste. And it doesn't help that I don't think EM was upfront with the changes to the game style. All the way until release I was expecting something with a more similar to feel to HR.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I'm coming across some lighting issue in the beginning of the game when in Prague. When viewing the environment with Jensen at a certain plane, it's like a light switch turns on, but if I lower the plane of view, it shuts off. This is anywhere from indoors to outdoors.

This has been happening before I met up with the guy who repairs by augmentations, so I don't know if that was purposely done because I was injured from the metro explosion, but is this a common thing in the game?

I am on PS4, by the way.

Also, I hate aiming in this game. Once again I am displeased to find that Deus Ex's controls are not enjoyable. *sigh*

Nephtes

Son of a fucking bitch!

I really dislike these one time use items and Breach Software.

I go to the place where you can sell Breach Software. The option says "Do Business".
When you select Do Business on ANY other vendor, you're taken to a screen where you can choose what to sell or buy.

The Breach Software guy?
NOPE
You just sold all your Breach Software. Congratulations.

Well fuck, let me reload a save game because that's not what I wanted to do.

NOPE.

Your Breach Softwares are now all marked "traded" already and insult to injury you lost all the money you would have made... because Breach Software is one time trade per save game.

Would have been nice to know before I reloaded a save prior to the sale that I didn't know I was making and of course had no save after the sale.

Thanks Eidos.
Thanks a lot.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah I was kinda confused when the game handed over my Breach software to the guy without any prompt whatsoever.

It seemed like the start of a sidemission, but it's pretty much nothing? Some credits I guess? I don't even remember what I got for them.

Ruff

Was anyone else getting annoyed at how the lens flare effect on hacking nodes looked exactly like the line that links those nodes together? Made it hard to see what connected to what most of the times.

Nephtes

Yeah I was kinda confused when the game handed over my Breach software to the guy without any prompt whatsoever.

It seemed like the start of a sidemission, but it's pretty much nothing? Some credits I guess? I don't even remember what I got for them.

If they wanted to pull shit like this, they shouldn't have done like Dark Souls and not let you save at all and auto save everything.

But no, they have this weird hybrid system where you can use a one time use thing, go back in time because you died or fucked up or whatever and the thing you used is gone forever...

Who thought this was a good idea?

probably the suits at the top who figured it would mean more microtransactions... Joke's on them, I'm not spending money on that.

Literally just credits. It's some BS.

--

Do you get anything cool giving that other merchant Neuropozene? I keep running into people who seem really desperate for it, and the Intel A just led me to an apartment I'd already ransacked.

Grisby

Can anyone give me a hand in
Golem
City? Having trouble trying to get to this bottom area that's covered in gas. It's right under that lady who
asks you to find her brothers, before you rescue them in the jail.

Can't seem to find a vent or anything to go down.
I believe you get everything Jensen is carrying, money, Praxis kits and unlocked skills. My apartment storage reset. I think leveling for Praxis kits resets to its original lower value too.

And I believe I got a load of Praxis kits from that guy near the beginning of the game again, so you should be able to unlock everything.
Aw man, your apartment storage resets? That kind of blows. Was hording all of the weapons I wanted to try on a 'loud' playthrough.
Anyone read the new novel?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/178565120X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Wonder if its worth the time.
Haven't yet. I liked the first so I'm planning on picking this one up.
Never played Human Revolution. Would you guys recommend playing it first for the best experience or jumping straight into this?
I'd play the first and then pick this up later. MD does come with a long retrospect video, but HR is a legit good time.

Jeffrey

See I think in terms of main story content the games are pretty comparable. In HR for mission specific locations you had:

Sarif Factory
Highland Park
Tai Young Medical
Picus
Singapore
Pangea

The rest were in hubs.

in MD you have:

Dubai
Golem City
GARM
London

And I would argue that Golem City is so large it's the equivalent of 2 of the mission areas from HR. And the bank is easily the equivalent of of a specific mission area as well (if you take that mission), it's just that MD does a very Deus Ex-y thing and lets you explore it at any point in the game which puts it in an odd area between side quest and main story.

Ruzika Station too but that's kind of small.

It's just the pacing that is radically different. HR has a very clear story escalation that kicks in about halfway through when you get to TYM. From that point on there are no new hubs and only a couple of sidequests. It gives the story propulsion. Further, it bounces you back and forth between Detroit and Hengsha throughout the game and that gives it scope and variance of pacing that doesn't exist in MD.

I think you could keep the content of the game nearly identical and just change the structure a bit by
Breaking up Golem into 2 separate visits (making it feel more like a hub) and making the bank main mission mandatory and locate it in a different city. You could keep the interior identical and just say it's in NYC or something
and the game immediately gains a bit more scope and feels more like HR in the process.

MD instead just keeps things on an even keel. It never really goes into overdrive. You still get meaty sidequests doled at every turn, even late in the game. Personally, I dig it. MD, to me, is Deus Ex Noir. You're a hard boiled detective unraveling the threads of the criminal underground in a city and it has that slow burn pacing so typical of noir. But that's a big departure from the rest of the series and won't be to every taste. And it doesn't help that I don't think EM was upfront with the changes to the game style. All the way until release I was expecting something with a more similar to feel to HR.

Makes sense. Yeah the story stuff really doesn't ramp up at all until the very last mission. Kinda wish there was more urgency. Most of the story stuff just involves you stealthing around doing recon for the most part.

Wish there was more Golem sized 'mini zones' with some side stuff and what not to do.

GRAM
and
London
were just 'levels'.

Pretty much the only memorable moments in the game is
rucker dying. And the ending credits 'twist' that everyone can easily guess?
I don't really remember anything else.

Kinda reminds me of those syndicated tv shows with 'cases of the week' and they slowly move the 'main plot' forward over time. Very slowly.

If they wanted to pull shit like this, they shouldn't have done like Dark Souls and not let you save at all and auto save everything.

But no, they have this weird hybrid system where you can use a one time use thing, go back in time because you died or fucked up or whatever and the thing you used is gone forever...

Who thought this was a good idea?

probably the suits at the top who figured it would mean more microtransactions... Joke's on them, I'm not spending money on that.

I don't understand what the problem is, why would you want to wait to sell them? Finding the breach software exists to add unlocks to the separate Breach mode, selling the software in the single player doesn't stop the unlocks from showing up in your Breach game.

psychotron

Never played Human Revolution. Would you guys recommend playing it first for the best experience or jumping straight into this?

I recommend playing it simply because it's an excellent game. You could use the recap video on Mankind Divided to catch you up on story, but you're missing out on a great experience. The game also holds up very well, as I've been playing on XB1 BC.

Kinda reminds me of those syndicated tv shows with 'cases of the week' and they slowly move the 'main plot' forward over time. Very slowly.

They pretty much wrote themselves into a corner after HR. In HR they introduced new Illumanti members like Hugh Darrow and Bill Taggert. But they also disposed of them in the same game. Now the entire conspiracy is on the table and we know that Adam isn't going to take down Bob Page, DeBeers, Everett, etc. Same applies to Manderley's increasing role as well.

Kind of a similar situation to the Metal Gear games- MGS3 was able to bring a lot to the table but after that there really was only so much they could do story-wise with Peacewalker and TPP.

I like how incredulous Adam was when someone asked him to break into a bank. The same bank I had already had him break into twice.

Yeah, while there is some great reactive stuff in the game they miss some really obvious stuff. This is the exact type of thing that the original DE1 nailed. There was a line of dialogue for pretty much every bit where JC would discover something before a main character gave him the info.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Son of a fucking bitch!

I really dislike these one time use items and Breach Software.

I go to the place where you can sell Breach Software. The option says "Do Business".
When you select Do Business on ANY other vendor, you're taken to a screen where you can choose what to sell or buy.

The Breach Software guy?
NOPE
You just sold all your Breach Software. Congratulations.

Well fuck, let me reload a save game because that's not what I wanted to do.

NOPE.

Your Breach Softwares are now all marked "traded" already and insult to injury you lost all the money you would have made... because Breach Software is one time trade per save game.

Would have been nice to know before I reloaded a save prior to the sale that I didn't know I was making and of course had no save after the sale.

Thanks Eidos.
Thanks a lot.

I thought I had lost something too when I used this vendor and he took my Breech kits, but you don't - this is just the game's way of allowing you to turn in the Breech tokens you find during your main game playthrough to unlock stuff in the completely separate Breech mode game. Hording these in the main game does nothing for you. As with other things, this isn't really explained well in the game.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
After finally beating the game I wonder if Adam Jensen we play as,
is nothing more than a clone, and the true Adam is likely dead or in stasis?

Paganmoon

Did they not test their soundmix with 5.1 systems or something? Dialog is absolutely horridly mixed with the rest of the soundmix.

There isn't even an option to select your sound setup so I'm assuming it's not even got a proper 5.1 mix.

mbpm1

Yeah, while there is some great reactive stuff in the game they miss some really obvious stuff. This is the exact type of thing that the original DE1 nailed. There was a line of dialogue for pretty much every bit where JC would discover something before a main character gave him the info.

I can only imagine how my Adam would have been if they had this.

"Oh, you want me to break into that place? Already took everything not nailed down a few hours ago."

"Oh, you need me to go to this apartment? Already found out she's crazy, no need."

Did they not test their soundmix with 5.1 systems or something? Dialog is absolutely horridly mixed with the rest of the soundmix.

There isn't even an option to select your sound setup so I'm assuming it's not even got a proper 5.1 mix.
There's a cutscene late in the game that will blow out your speakers. It sounds like all channel stereo. It's louder than any other dialogue in the game.

Sound mixing doesn't get talked about 1/1000 as much as graphics do even though so many games are horribly mixed and have poor directional sound.

Jeffrey

After finally beating the game I wonder if Adam Jensen we play as,
is nothing more than a clone, and the true Adam is likely dead or in stasis?

possible.

With this being a square enix game, who can say that it doesn't go all Kingdom Hearts at some point.

Top Bottom