• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

Yeah, while there is some great reactive stuff in the game they miss some really obvious stuff. This is the exact type of thing that the original DE1 nailed. There was a line of dialogue for pretty much every bit where JC would discover something before a main character gave him the info.

Yeah, that was one of the greatest parts of the original. There were so many times where that game surprised you with what the devs had thought of in terms of doing things out of sequence or whatever.

Human Revolution was okay at that as well, but not to the same extent. There were still some cool moments (for example, try disabling the signal in DRB territory before you're told to).

Looking forward to replaying Mankind Divided and trying to see how many situations like that there are. Don't have my hopes up too high, but I'm sure there's some surprises.

Zomba13

I thought the Breach stuff was stuff for the Breach mode? Like you find it in the campaign, give it to the man, then it unlocks stuff in the breach mode. You can't actually use it in the game, it's a collectable like the triangle codes right? It just lives in it's own section but you have to hand it in.

I thought the Breach stuff was stuff for the Breach mode? Like you find it in the campaign, give it to the man, then it unlocks stuff in the breach mode. You can't actually use it in the game, it's a collectable like the triangle codes right? It just lives in it's own section but you have to hand it in.

That's how it works, yes. There's a page in the UI that details your progress.

SoulClap

Did they not test their soundmix with 5.1 systems or something? Dialog is absolutely horridly mixed with the rest of the soundmix.

There isn't even an option to select your sound setup so I'm assuming it's not even got a proper 5.1 mix.

I noticed this as well, I thought it was just my system.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Anyone read the new novel?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/178565120X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Wonder if its worth the time.

Yeah, I read it (only five bucks, which is a good price point for game tie-in novels) - honestly, I feel like it should have been included with the game or with the deluxe version of the game at least. You get some good background that sets up the world of MD, TF29, and there's some substantial interaction between Jansen and an old friend from the first game. You also are introduced to some minor characters that appear in side quests in MD and on TF29. Spoiler for an apartment you can break into/side mission and the opening event in MD:
one of the bad guys in the book actually appears in the background at the train station (before the bombing - look for the woman with reddish hair in the background during Alex's and Jensen's conversation - the implication is she is the bomber, of course :)) and you can break into her apartment and see that she's been tracking/photographing Jensen and Alex. Another bad guy in the novel shows up dead in one of the side missions (the one with Sarif).

The book does a far better job than MD does at humanizing and personalizing Jensen since readers can see his internal thoughts and feelings about events and people. Swallow is not the best writer in the WH40K-verse (that's Abnett, of course), but he knows how to craft a coherent and engaging plot. (The phrase
"hot screaming lead"
does appear in the book, which I think Swallow may have left in as a hat tip to his 40K-fans, though. :))

To sum up, if you're interested in the broader story of Deus Ex and the world that Adam Jensen inhabits and the people he interacts with in both HR and MD, I would recommend getting the novel.

Window

Spoiler for an apartment you can break into/side mission and the opening event in MD:
one of the bad guys in the book actually appears in the background at the train station (before the bombing - look for the woman with reddish hair in the background during Alex's and Jensen's conversation - the implication is she is the bomber, of course :)) and you can break into her apartment and see that she's been tracking/photographing Jensen and Alex. Another bad guy in the novel shows up dead in one of the side missions (the one with Sarif).

This was very cool to run into. I wondered if it would play a part later in the game.

Ducarmel

Finished my new game+ last night, got all the side quest I missed and the only significant difference was I killed everybody that was a bad guy in my opinion (I wiped out all the Dvali before i left for London but there seemed to be no consequences for doing that) and I went heist, which allowed me to do things differently in the London convention center mission to get those 2 specific achievements. I will do one more run as pacifist with the ending I want if it does affect the dlc.

I do have a problem with Allison or Heist. IMO gameplay wise and story wise the heist is the better option that will lead to the better ending. I don't see how a pacifist Jenson can justify going for the bank instead of Allison with all we know about the situation.

A whole launch week to fix a widely encountered game halting bug, when they confirmed they had the fix as far back as last friday. Ouch.

Honestly they should have never confirmed they had that fix. They should have only said they were working on it. Just makes people more upset if it's delayed for some reason. (Which is probably why it wasn't released on Friday or today -- QA probably found some big problem with the fix.)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
A whole launch week to fix a widely encountered game halting bug, when they confirmed they had the fix as far back as last friday. Ouch.

Sometimes... you just have to some extra testing, just in case your fix doesn't create a new game breaking bug. :p

luxarific

Nork unification denier
This was very cool to run into. I wondered if it would play a part later in the game.

Yeah, I totally missed
her in the station scene - saw that referenced on Reddit and it's really obvious it's her from the description provided in the book and the facts we learn about her when breaking into Madame Photographe's apartment. She also appears in other scenes in the game! (I totally missed these as well)
. Swallow thanks the Squeenix team/writers in the book credits and nifty book-game references like this show that he had a lot of access to the game script/universe bible.

Fledz

So at what point should I be playing the DLC mission? Someone said after SM05 earlier, around the time you head to GC.

Surprise early PC patch: http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=191223

• Fixed a crash during the subway loading scene.
• Fixed issue with loading a saved game while in cover and pressing [SPACE], causing Jensen to vault over cover.
• Fixed crash when leaving for Golem City.
• Fixed issues where the UI was offset at some aspect ratios, such as 21:9.
• Fixed issue where vibration was not working on gamepad.
• Fixed an issue where some keyboard language settings could cause the game to not launch.
o Some users had a workaround by creating a new user account or by changing their keyboard language setting.
• Fixed various issues related to Breach.
• Fixed issues related to Tobii EyeTracking.

Just downloaded for me.

Regginator

After finally beating the game I wonder if Adam Jensen we play as,
is nothing more than a clone, and the true Adam is likely dead or in stasis?

I was wondering the same thing!
This one is definitely a clone
, they hinted very heavily at it during the Sarif side missions SM03 Aug Mystery.

Janus is the real Adam
is my thinking.

That's kind of a stretch though, anyway to back that up?

Clegg

After finally beating the game I wonder if Adam Jensen we play as,
is nothing more than a clone, and the true Adam is likely dead or in stasis?

Could you imagine the shit that would get especially after what happened to the last major AAA game that did this.

Can someone make a best Augs list. I don't know what to do. My first playthrough is stealth until shit happens.

I have the basic exploratory Augs from HR and then then Icarus dash fully upgraded. Have 6 pts. but I can't decide!!

lucius

I switched back to Human Revolution controls I just couldn't get use to the new one.

If anyone wants my 360 Deus Ex:HR and Missing Link DLC codes I got with the game PM me I already own both.

Nete

It's a shame we can use the extra difficulty level on NG+.

Can someone make a best Augs list. I don't know what to do. My first playthrough is stealth until shit happens.

I have the basic exploratory Augs from HR and then then Icarus dash fully upgraded. Have 6 pts. but I can't decide!!

Remote Hacking is a must for stealth. Tesla is more situational, but still really good.

Jeffrey

So... is Deus Ex 1 worth going back to? I'm pretty sensitive to 'old games', so I worry I might not enjoy it.

get all the navigation (and super lungs and electric shield), hacking, Eye vision, max out all the Energy upgrades, double takedown, remote hacking.

mbpm1

Everything related to battery bc you get like no nrg time for this one
Cloaking for your stealth needs
Remote hacking for sure
Wall punching aug for making new paths
Gas breathing
Jump aug

I don't think anything else directly pertains to stealth so you can choose as you'd like after

Pehesse

Could you imagine the shit that would get especially after what happened to the last major AAA game that did this.

Probably/hopefully none at all. Deus Ex has never been a series about a specific character. In fact, you could argue that's one of the main things holding Mankind Divided back, AND it'd make a lot of sense in context of the whole series.

(I dream about MD starring another character, possibly even a small chargen a la IW - it would only need slight rewrites to star, say, Aria, and present the core issues with much more focus, allowing us to feel the augmented segregation with much more weight than Jensen ever could, and some bonus added DX touch if we had reason at the start to doubt both TF29 AND the Juggernaut Collective - I'm veering into fanfiction territory, but seriously, it could've been so much more with so few tweaks and changes)

I find the current theory about Adam
being a clone
actually quite interesting, it makes some things in the game take a different meaning. It doesn't all fit, but I'd like it if it could be true.

So... is Deus Ex 1 worth going back to? I'm pretty sensitive to 'old games', so I worry I might not enjoy it.

Depends what you're looking for, and your open mindedness to a different/wider set of mechanics and an older presentation. The original DX still has the strongest level design, and arguably versatility in mechanics of the series (and of many, many games). The soundtrack is also absolutely killer. Some can't see past the "jankiness", for lack of a better term. Some still find it as pleasurable to play as it was on release. It took me four tries to get into it: first time, I couldn't finish the first mission, second time I got lost in NYC, third time I gave up at the airfield. Fourth was the charm, I can still remember the feeling of awe when I reached Hong Kong for the first time... and that was over 10 years ago. Unmatched DX moment for me: at the airfield, reaching
Lebedev
and trying
to kill Agent Navarre
... and having the game roll with it.

If you ask me, it's a visionary game - one that unfortunately simply couldn't be made today with the current industry practices. I play it every year, and I love it even more each time. It's one of my main design references as far as reactivity and player agency in a game goes. Haven't seen it beat yet.

Janus is the real Adam
is my thinking.

That'd be interesting indeed. I was more of the camp where Janus=
Morpheus
, but I could see it go both ways.

Honestly on my second play through I finished mission 2 first before starting the side quests. Since it is very clear when side quests will lock out there is no harm in doing that to get back your augs.

I got my augs back in less than 5 minutes.

You can get your augs fixed as the first thing once you're in the city.

You have lots of other options, both to take care of the papers guy and to bypass the blockade.
to get past the blockade, you can use superjump and go high, or sneak through the side passage
. If you don't want to pay up,
just asking him but not confronting him will trigger the quest steps to investigate how they are making the papers, which gives you a much safer way of surviving.

What? you can get your augs fixed the first thing when you get to the city.

Plus every area in this game can be entered alternatively without using augs, I don't think there is even a single area which you can't enter because you don't have a particular aug or any aug, they can all be entered using something like stacking up boxes or breaking the door, all the augs do is provide you an alternative and faster way of doing the same.

As for your other situation, You have 5 options there itself that and none require augs, you can sneak past them, you can get a side quest from him that will lead to solving this problem, you can pay him up, you can shoot him from across the street so that no one sees you or you can fight head on by confronting and it is certainly possible to do that even if difficult (which it is for the right reason).

The choice is there, you are just not noticing it.

Whoops, seems I got a little heavily wrapped up in the first dump of missions at the base. Started the other mission and got my augs back immediately. I'll have to bear that in mind when I go for a second run through. You were bang on about me missing a bunch of obvious alternatives too. I don't know how I missed
the hole in the fence by the side of the papers guy.
. Guess I need to bear in mind not to rely on the vision aug too much.

Jeffrey

Whoops, seems I got a little heavily wrapped up in the first dump of missions at the base. Started the other mission and got my augs back immediately. I'll have to bear that in mind when I go for a second run through. You were bang on about me missing a bunch of obvious alternatives too. I don't know how I missed
the hole in the fence by the side of the papers guy.
. Guess I need to bear in mind not to rely on the vision aug too much.

I mean the very first thing once you are in prague was 'i should check out this doctor to fix my augs' :p

Your fault!

Yeep time to bail from this thread for awhile, too easy to context clue together what happens in the endgame from partially spoiler tagged posts.

Been too busy rummaging through every cupboard in Prague to get caught up in the story

I mean the very first thing once you are in prague was 'i should check out this doctor to fix my augs' :p

Your fault!

I tried that at first but couldn't see a way around the guy. I figured it was going to chain off of the other mission or something, which it did anyway later on. unsurprisingly I'm still missing obvious stuff as I can't find a solution
for the conspiracy theorists mission. Guess I need to scope the place inside and out to try and find some secret route.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Just did a mission for Samidzat in the Piscus building, holy crap that was good level design, I spent around 2 and a half hours exploring what was, seemingly, quite a smallish building that kept expanding as I found more stuff, incredible. I really hope the game continues this.

Liamc723

Just finished the game and it was good, but not much more than that I think.

It stays consistent in its quality and I enjoyed myself throughout, but there wasn't really any moments where the game impressed me or blew me away.

The definition of a 7/10 I guess.

gdt

I'm having trouble get a side quest to pop up.

It's the one where you go back to your Aug Doctor buddy to upgrade Adam....

How do I make it happen? I've returned to Prague after Golem City.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
anyone play deus ex go?

found hitman go too hard after a while so i stopped, never picked up lara croft.

I found it harder than Hitman Go personally. Lara Croft is probably the easiest out of the three.

It's pretty awesome though if you don't pay attention to the totally unecessary storyline

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Quick question, is it true that you can only do Mission 11 or 12, and not both? They asked for a choice, but I wasn't clear if the game truly rules anything out.

I'm curious, too. I keep waiting for the damn call.

Just finished the game and it was good, but not much more than that I think.

It stays consistent in its quality and I enjoyed myself throughout, but there wasn't really any moments where the game impressed me or blew me away.

The definition of a 7/10 I guess.
I agree with this. Never takes that leap in any one area even if I find the total package satisfying.

I'm at a boss fight - the only in the game I presume (first playthrough, feels near the end).

I've really enjoyed this game but this boss fight is bollocks.

Jeffrey

I'm at a boss fight - the only in the game I presume (first playthrough, feels near the end).

I've really enjoyed this game but this boss fight is bollocks.

If you need a hint if you are stuck:

eat some biogel. wait until his titan armor is down. cloak get close. emp him with shotgun/pistol etc. melee him right after. Finish!

This didn't pop up for meet until about 75% way through the main story.

-------

Just completed it now, so many questions!!

Top Bottom