• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

maskrider

To a DMC newbie like me (although I have 1, 2 & 3SE, I didn't play much), the difficulty jump from Devil Hunter to Son of Sparda needs quite a bit of adjustment and getting used to.

I died 2 times at the first mission of SoS, and now am figuring the way to finish the boss in Mission 4, ha ha ! I think I might not have the patience to play anything higher than SoS.

drohne said:
four missions in i'm kind of disappointed. the basic combat is great -- i really like nero's devil bringer and exceed. but the ratio of combat to puzzle/exploration/platforming nonsense has been worryingly low. and neither of the two bosses so far has been very interesting in terms of patterns. i agree with the sentiment that this is more like dmc1 than dmc3...and i'm a dmc3 fan. preliminarily, i wouldn't say it's as good or as challenging as dmc1 either. damn it, why didn't people understand dmc3 -- 1up called this a 'return to form' :/

well, there's still plenty of time for things to pick up...though i'm troubled by the reports of heavy recycling

I can see where you're coming from, I just don't have a problem with it... I think there's been a good amount of combat and platforming. Not really much puzzle solving, I mean in standard DMC fashion you don't really have to think about the puzzles, at least not in my experience. I would say the combat picks up greatly though later.

Mamesj

Banned
*Story, especially Dante's part, sucks balls. Lack of Vergil makes this game lack a significant bad ass character especially with Dante being so ridiculous cheesy (this is coming from DMC3 fans btw)

Lol wat? Dante in 4 is less cheesy, only because he has fewer lines, even if they are all cheesy :lol

I agree with a lot of the points made. I was all set up to feel like the game is worse than 3:SE, but I forgot about styles and loved the devil bringer rather quickly. The boss fights and enemies are fucking awesome too. Still not completely set on where I would put it in the series, but all I know is it is a damn good DMC game, which is all that matters, of course.

Kinda missing the banshee reaper things with the scissors/scythe though :D

neojubei said:
All DMC fans will most likely pay for a downloadable Vergil, Capcom should bank on it if they are smart.

This is Capcom we're talking about here...they love money. If we're vocal enough, hopefully we can get some DLC!

MechaX

Dahbomb said:
*Devil Trigger mechanics for both Dante/Nero make the game a lot more exciting. It's what the vets have wanted since they were jacked with DT concerning DMC3. Now DT actually means something than just boosted stats.

The inclusion of DT altered moves and additional bonuses is something that really should have been in DMC3 from the get go (I'd take the ability to have an additional Air Hike and a forward dash over the ability to glide very slowly with Nevan DT any day of the week). The only thing that I'm more neutral about in DMC4's handling of the DT is the lack of DTExplosion/Charged DT. It sucks because that was pretty much the best way to do crowd control (And kill enemies before everybody decided to DT on DMD). On the other hand, I do admit that I relied a bit too much on it in DMC3 due to its absurd damage and usually instant SSS.

drohne said:
well, there's still plenty of time for things to pick up...though i'm troubled by the reports of heavy recycling

You might go through the same environments, but if it's worth anything, the enemies differ astronomically from Nero's portion (And combine that with the trend of being introduced to a new type of enemy almost every mission).

Mamesj said:
I agree with a lot of the points made. I was all set up to feel like the game is worse than 3:SE, but I forgot about styles and loved the devil bringer rather quickly.

Heh. From the impressions on people on the IGN board, I was expecting that DMC4 dropped the ball on DMC2 levels of droppage. So far, I'm actually having more fun with the game than DMC3 (SE Vergil nonwithstanding). Now which is the better game.. eh. A bit too early for me to decide that one.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Dear IGN retards,

DMC2 has bad combat.
DMC4 has good combat.

HOW ARE THEY ALIKE

solve for x

Mamesj

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Dear IGN retards,

DMC2 has bad combat.
DMC4 has good combat.

HOW ARE THEY ALIKE

solve for x

2 is the square root of 4, thus 4 is like 2. but 4 is 2 times 2, so 4 is actually twice as bad as 2.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I'm going to have to play this a bit more especially over the weekend, but I make a final analysis of the game. So far I've beaten Berial, Bael and angus. Those knights are damn good enemies, much better than the frosts. I haven't gotten Dante, yet however Nero is an ok character even if i cannot change weapons and styles, the ex system sort of makes up for it a bit. Then again, I haven't touched Dante yet in this game, so my opinion can change.

As of what I've played so far in DMC4, i would put all the DMc games in this order

DMC3SE being the best, especially with a playable Vergil,
DMC1 because of the different styles, enemies and bosses,
DMC4 for Nero and the knights battle, Berial boss battle
And of course lastly DMC2. I used to think I got some enjoyment from DMC2 but playing it last weekend showed me that this game does not age well and is very poor in the DMC series.

Mamesj

Banned
The night remind me of the chess pieces in 3, but better/more aggressive. Also, the reaper things whose cloaks you have to rip off (with the weird laser blade move) are like improved versions of the Fallen in 3.

One thing's for sure, the attack patterns of the enemies in this game are soooo much better than previous games.

Kyoufu

I think hoping for a playable Vergil in DMC4 is futile. Capcom will probably bring him back in DMC5 after we're done with the complaints.

I would prefer they resurrect him with a plot behind it rather than a half-arsed addition.

Instead, take that half-arsed addition you call Dark Slayer and expand it, jesus christ.

painey

that frog fucker destroyed me on human, but i had a gold orb and it revived me and then i chopped him up and served frogs legs for supper. I always hate how you spend 10 minutes slashing the shit out of enemies and bosses, only for a cut scene to show Nero or his buddies killing all these enemies in 1 hit.

Mamesj

Banned
Kyoufu said:
I think hoping for a playable Vergil in DMC4 is futile. Capcom will probably bring him back in DMC5 after we're done with the complaints.

I would prefer they resurrect him with a plot behind it rather than a half-arsed addition.

Instead, take that half-arsed addition you call Dark Slayer and expand it, jesus christ.

I would rather have playable Trish or Lady in this one :D with a....2 PLAYER MODE. Do it Capcom, don't worry about balancing too much. :D

Vergil would be weird since he has nothing to do with this game.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
wow , Yuji Shimomura should go to hollywood or something , he is the best action director/fight choreographer ever .

i don't know , but i can't imagine new DMC without him as action director .

Doc Evils said:
How long would it take me to finish 1,2,3 and 4?

Just play 1, 3, and 4. And each game is somewhere between 10 and 15 hours, I'd say, though depending on skill and how fast you go through them, YMMV.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
drohne said:
four missions in i'm kind of disappointed. the basic combat is great -- i really like nero's devil bringer and exceed. but the ratio of combat to puzzle/exploration/platforming nonsense has been worryingly low. and neither of the two bosses so far has been very interesting in terms of patterns. i agree with the sentiment that this is more like dmc1 than dmc3...and i'm a dmc3 fan. preliminarily, i wouldn't say it's as good or as challenging as dmc1 either. damn it, why didn't people understand dmc3 -- 1up called this a 'return to form' :/

I'm somewhat in agreement. The puzzles are a bit irritable and too constant, though I do like the standard selection of enemies a bit more than DMC3's variants, they haven't quite reached the complexity and design of DMC1 foes as of yet. The flying scythe's for example are extremely lacking compared to the fierce multi-faceted scythes in DMC1. Nothing on par with a Shadow encounter either. Though what is on offer looks great and makes for unique punching bags, but "return to form?" not yet...

Nero is a blast to use though, Exceed and Buster makes for some thrilling arena matches, and there is a noticeable improvement in my combo counter with each 'upgrade'.

The plot could use more cheese and visceral insanity. I'm starting to hover my finger over the skip button the farther I progress. DMC3 this isn't.

Drewsy said:
Weird, I think I'd much rather have lock on mapped to the default button as opposed to a trigger.
It's all about comfort. Holding down R1 on a Dual Shock doesn't bother me the slightest, but holding down the 360's Bumpers for a little while is awkward. I much prefer having actions mapped to a bumper that require you to just press it in like a button and use the triggers for something I'd want to hold down for a while like lock-on. I recommend giving it a shot. I was able to adapt to it pretty quickly even though I just went through DMC3 again the other day.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Dahbomb said:
Kobayashi says a lot of things and you of all people should know this by now.

DMC4 will have DLC, I am calling it right now. After some of the fans will start going into outburst mode, Capcom will take notice. You cannot take away costumes from the fanboys. :lol

Need to correct that...Fanboys dammit. Always about the fangirls...but noooo...A guy can't find Dante as a sexy beast ^_^

Yes I want costumes!!!:lol

Aladuf

Banned
Well I don't know what just happened but I beat the boss at the end of Mission 4 and after that they showed a cutscene of a gate lowering but after that I walked around for about 5 minutes and couldn't get anywhere. It's like where the gate was, even though it lowered, it wouldn't let me pass by... there was an invisible wall. :( Even though I saved, now I have to do Mission 4 over again.

nm, it turns out that I must me fucking blind. :p

Mamesj

Banned
I wish you could map actions to more than one button...I would definitely put guns on the RT for Nero (for easier charging.)

Kyoufu

Mamesj said:
I wish you could map actions to more than one button...I would definitely put guns on the RT for Nero (for easier charging.)

Then why don't you? Just put DT on A or something.

I'm putting DT on Triangle, and Shoot on a shoulder button. What irks me is that Exceed is trigger only :/

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
TheGuardian said:

i know he did Versus , Azumi , Alive and Skyhigh i have them all on DVDs , i even own his newest movie Death Trace ( but he was just the director not the fight choreographer for that movie ) , from Versus to DMC4 his fight scenes is way better now , he is one awesome dude

i want him in hollywood cuz overrated Kitamura is doing movies in hollywood ( maybe for DMC movie or something ) , the world should know the real genius behind all fight scenes in Kitamura J-movies .

Sectus

CitizenCope said:
Help me out here.
My gaming skills aren't what they used to be so I find other ways to make up for it.
With Ninja Gaiden I killed bats forever to get health potions. Those potions helped me get through many a boss battle.
Are there any sort of health potions in the DMC series?
Don't worry, you'll be fine. While you can't easily grind for potions (well, you can replay older levels, but that might backfire), there's several ways to make the game easier:
-Human difficulty is like playing another game on Very Easy
-You can turn on Automatic mode to make using combos easier, so you can focus most of your time on evading enemies
-And if you do happen to die several times in a row, the game seems to turn the difficulty further down temporarily

Tiduz

Eurogaime
I wish dante had his own finishing moves like nero,
Stabbing that plant bitch trough the chest and thrusting the sword over and over again is awesome

tribal24

Banned
Tiduz said:
I wish dante had his own finishing moves like nero,
Stabbing that plant bitch trough the chest and thrusting the sword over and over again is awesome

yeah i do aswell the thing i hate about nero though is that he is to basic. but when i got dante i was pressing circle and saying wtf is my devil arm, :lol then i noticed it was dante

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
C- Warrior said:
Get used to just-Revving.

Swing your sword, and tap Left Trigger the moment your blade connects with the enemy. this can be continually changed as long as you get the timing right.

I really need to get this down. I had no idea that "just-revving" even existed. I beat Belial by constantly evading his attacks and charging up my lanterns from far away before unleashing on him. Is "just-revving" possible in mid-air combos as well?

I am actually kind of glad I never got into DMC3, because it looks like a lot of DMC3 veterans are having a hard time enjoying the game and Nero since everything is apparently so different. The only DMC game I played through completely was the first one back when it first came out, and DMC4 reminds me a lot of the first one.

So far I'm loving the game. I'm playing it on Devil Hunter and the difficulty is just hard enough to motivate me to continually strive to improve my skills and refine my combos. It's not impossibly hard like the original Ninja Gaiden or DMC3 (for me at least).

slade

Don't know if this has been covered already but are Epilogue 1 and 2 the only endings in the game? Also, how do you get that picture with Dante and Nero sitting on the couch?

I am loving the game so far, mission 8 for me right now. My biggest complaint is that I don't feel like I am advancing my character like I did in DMC3. In DMC3 practically every level introduced a new weapon or skill, plus you were building Dante up as well, basically you always had something new to play with. Mix that with the hard difficulty and it was a game where you really felt like your character was growing into this ultimate badass. Once you beat the game there were still many styles to mess around with so the game always felt fresh.

Here the easy difficulty and the lack of weapons so far just gives me this "every other action game" fell to it where I am just going from one level to the next. Nero is not terrible but he is simplistic. I think back to DMC3 and i remember feeling rewarded for getting through the game, here I feel like I am just playing to see the next level.

I know it will be much better on higher difficulties so I am not worried. The game is great, just not DMC3 great.

tribal24

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
I am loving the game so far, mission 8 for me right now. My biggest complaint is that I don't feel like I am advancing my character like I did in DMC3. In DMC3 practically every level introduced a new weapon or skill, plus you were building Dante up as well, basically you always had something new to play with. Mix that with the hard difficulty and it was a game where you really felt like your character was growing into this ultimate badass. Once you beat the game there were still many styles to mess around with so the game always felt fresh.

Here the easy difficulty and the lack of weapons so far just gives me this "every other action game" fell to it where I am just going from one level to the next. Nero is not terrible but he is simplistic. I think back to DMC3 and i remember feeling rewarded for getting through the game, here I feel like I am just playing to see Dante.

I know it will be much better on higher difficulties so I am not worried. The game is great, just not DMC3 great.

fixed

ElyrionX

Just finished the game.

Jesus christ, Mission 19 was a huge pain in the ass. Fuck the dice game. I swear, there was one board that I went through the complete round at least seven times because I couldn't get the right roll. WTF is this shit.

Also, while Nero is really fun to play at the beginning, it just becomes painfully clear how basic his gameplay is after you get Dante. With his styles and arsenal, he just has so many more ways of attacking than Nero. I'll even go so far as to say that if Dante wasn't in this game, it shouldn't even be called a Devil May Cry game.

I also really like the fact that Dante's levels are particularly easy. The game emphasizes Dante's strength and superiority over Nero in its cutscenes and story, and I would expect it to be reflected in the gameplay itself. How many times have we seen a super-powerful character in a game's cutscenes only to get a severely gimped character when you actually get to control that character in the game itself? I'm really glad Capcom went down this route with Dante.

And with regards to Dante's weapons, I'd say overall it's somewhat disappointing. While Rebellion, Gilgamesh and Lucifer are fun to use and are very distinct from one another in terms of attacking style, I do miss the elemental graphical effects of weapons such as Agni and Rudra and Nevan. Those weapons were flashy and very entertaining to watch while you used them. I do like what they did with Rebellion though. The Drive move got a really nice update and feels a lot stronger than before. Dance Macabre is just awesome to execute.

Holy shit, at the begging of mission 9 I did a charged shot at the knights when they shot an energy ball, it bounced right back instantly killing them giving me tripple S :lol .

MrDaravon

I'm in mission 5, and I can't do the instant rev in actual battle very often :lol . I can do it fairly consistently outside of battle, but my timing goes to shit when I'm actually fighting. How much should I actually be worrying about this?

Kyoufu

Toonami 99 said:
Holy shit, at the begging of mission 9 I did a charged shot at the knights when they shot an energy ball, it bounced right back instantly killing them giving me tripple S :lol .

Wow really? Thats awesome...

maskrider

slade said:
Don't know if this has been covered already but are Epilogue 1 and 2 the only endings in the game? Also, how do you get that picture with Dante and Nero sitting on the couch?

1. Seems so
2. Clear the game

ElyrionX

Oh, and I also want to say that the goddamm platforming and puzzles in this game sucks. It doesn't help that the shitty camera makes platforming quite frustrating at times. I almost broke the controller at that level where you had to slow time to jump onto that massive spinning blades thing to get to another door. We don't need lame board game and goddamn gyro blades in a Devil May Cry game. Instead of spending time designing all these stupid levels and puzzles, Capcom should have just added more weapons and made the levels simpler. A DMC game should be 95% about the combat scenarios and 5% about the levels/puzzles.

Oneself

I'm going through the painful installation process right now. So much about this "story recap", it takes 6 minutes and a half and loops along the horrible music.
I'd rather be stuck in an elevator right now.

Oneself said:
I going through the painful installation process right now. So much about this "story recap", it takes 6 minutes and a half and loops along the horrible music.
I'd rather be stuck in an elevator right now.

You're on a computer... posting on GAF... i'm sure there are other things you could be doing while it's installing.

VaLiancY

ElyrionX said:
Oh, and I also want to say that the goddamm platforming and puzzles in this game sucks. It doesn't help that the shitty camera makes platforming quite frustrating at times. I almost broke the controller at that level where you had to slow time to jump onto that massive spinning blades thing to get to another door. We don't need lame board game and goddamn gyro blades in a Devil May Cry game. Instead of spending time designing all these stupid levels and puzzles, Capcom should have just added more weapons and made the levels simpler. A DMC game should be 95% about the combat scenarios and 5% about the levels/puzzles.

I feel the same way. The gyro blades weren't that bad but the fucking puzzles and platforming annoy the hell out of me.The fucking
fan in the headquarters took me a while because I had to struggle with the camera and lack of an air hike.
I'm at the last board game and now I feel my fun has plummeted because of that.
Yay, More fucking boss fights!

Cmagus

If you live in Canada and haven't bought it yet Best Buy online is offering Devil May Cry 4 and Turok for $89.99 bundle thats quite a savings

Top Bottom