• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

hteng

Banned
~Devil Trigger~ said:
Does anybody know How
You get Stylish points evading?? Or is that for Dante??!

thx

evade at the last moment (easier to see if you have table topper learnt), this secret mission is for nero, the style points for evading are very little so you have to keep on evading and taunting to get the style points up

Dahbomb

What is the orb category measuring at the end of a mission. Is it the amount of orbs hidden in the level? Is it total orbs like what you get from killing enemies? If its from the rbs you can find in a level can't you just run around anywhere and get orbs from past missions. I have no clue what its asking for.
It's both but the main way you can get red orbs is by killing enemies with SSS style ranks. You get more red orbs for killing enemies in higher rank, you will not attain the full red orb count unless you pull some insane combos.

Drewsy

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
If any owners of the 360 version haven't already done so, for the love of Sparda change Lock-On to the Right Trigger.

Weird, I think I'd much rather have lock on mapped to the default button as opposed to a trigger.

fabs115

played through the first 4 missions on human mode, i played a little devil may cry 3, but thought i was new to the series... but even with automatic off human is still a little too easy, i think im going to start at the beginning on DH tonight when i get back from work

TommyT

I'm absolutely loving the game! I just got it during work yesterday and after some attention with my significant other I finally got home to play it for about 3 hours. Everything ( except for some wonky camera angles ) is fun and exciting making it hard to want to put down. Getting SSS, hell even SS, on some of these missions is going to be pretty tough and I'm thinking it can't be done until you replay it with your already leveled up character. I can't wait till we get some harder difficulties though, both are a bit too easy though. Either way it will definitely get finished before the weekend so I can just work on rankings!

Dahbomb

I got this game yesterday, I just finished Mission#4. I will just give some minor impressions for now.

*Haven't figured out EXACTLY what this Auto Skill thing does. I think its just an RPG mechanic where you automatically level up moves depending upon what option you have chosen. It's like when you reach a certain price point, you automatically receive an upgrade/move. This is speculation, I haven't actually put this through a trial and error because I haven't had the time.

*There are some subtle touches put to the game that really polish the entire package. Most people will over look them especially the new comers but I am really digging them. For example, when you beat a mission and choose to replay a mission, on the mission screen you have an image of your best previous run and ranking to remind you how you have done on it.

*Mission#4 boss fight was Bael. It was a surprisingly unique boss fight and I enjoyed it. I admit when I first saw it I was like "WTF is this?" but it's actually a pretty cool and different boss fight. It's not that hard, but then again Devil Hunter isn't that hard at all. Oh and the opening cutscene for it may not be safe for work if you know what I mean. So much moaning... After beating this boss battle you get a corpse that allows you to find hidden areas (that's what it says, haven't put it to the test).

*Oh and I can confirm that enemy rebound has to be purchased as a move. It's called "Enemy Hop" and I bought it early on. It's lame IMO but doesn't really change much other than putting more emphasis on the fact that this is a genuine DMC mechanic and not some weird gimmick. Nero's running drop kick has to be purchased as well, it's called Rainbow.

*The enemies are very solid and easy to combo. The battle with the White Knights was cool. So far I have yet to encounter an annoying enemy. The Mephisto are kind of tricky but if you watch their movements, there is a specific place where you can Snatch > Buster them. Then you can start a small combo. Again, DH in general is fairly easy so I haven't felt the heat from the enemies yet.

*A lot of platforming in this game, surprisingly. It's all fairly easy. Puzzles are well... lame just like all puzzles in action games. One took quite a while to get through. Then again I am not even a fan of puzzles so whatever...

*Obligatory "OMFG GREAT GRAPHIX WITH EXCELLENT GAME PLAY AND PRETTY CUTSCENES AND HOLY CRAP I AM PLAYING A DEVIL MAY FUCKING CRY!!!!!111" post. Right now I haven't been hit by anything disappointing in the least aside from Nero's weapon repertoire but the Perfect IR mechanic makes up for it (some what...). Game is like a 9-9.5 thus far but I expect it to drop some when I beat the game judging from impressions.

OH and where's this Secret Mission#3 people keep talking about?

I just saw a video of the first mission in DMD.... :lol :lol :lol

I am laughing because I can already hear the screams of anguish a mile away. The guy is a decent player but gets owned in less than a minute!

For those of you who care, I am playing it on the 360. Originally I thought that putting the Lock-On to Right Trigger would fix the bumper problem but IMO it's just better to get accustomed to the Bumper. The Right Trigger with DMC just feels weird, not the button itself but using it with the middle finger.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Dahbomb said:
*Oh and I can confirm that enemy rebound has to be purchased as a move. It's called "Enemy Hop" and I bought it early on. It's lame IMO but doesn't really change much other than putting more emphasis on the fact that this is a genuine DMC mechanic and not some weird gimmick. Nero's running drop kick has to be purchased as well, it's called Rainbow.

what? i did'nt buy that. i just got Speed and when i run, i press "select" and voila

Kyoufu

Dahbomb said:
I just saw a video of the first mission in DMD.... :lol :lol :lol

I am laughing because I can already hear the screams of anguish a mile away. The guy is a decent player but gets owned in less than a minute!

Wow that looks sick. However I'm not saying that guy is a bad player, but shooting Dante a few metres away is basically begging to get stinger raped. Should be a great challenge.

MechaX

~Devil Trigger~ said:
i stopped at Credo last night

seriously, so far best Boss fights in the series

I still go back to that mission and play through it just so I can fight him. I certainly have to give it to DMC4: Even though you'll be fighting the bosses multiple times, so far, they certainly are some of the best boss fights in the series. Credo is actually fun to fight (Which, IMO, fun boss fights were pretty far and few between in DMC3, outside of Vergil 2, Cerberus, and Beowulf) and while he's not tough as nails on Devil Hunter, I can easily see it racking up on higher difficulties.

Anyway, insignificant impressions from me (Finished Mission 13).

- The fight with the Incomplete Savior shot up multiple points after doing the God Hand-esque Pummel for the first time.

- The story so far isn't really that bad. It's an action game, for christ's sake.

- Add me to the list of "People who tried to I-Rev with Dante".

- I'm going to have to get used to Dante. And as insignificant as it may sound, the Gilgamesh's lack of a zoning move (Like the Stinger) is messing me up. But, I think the Gilgamesh is more like the Ifrit than the Beowulf.

- Fighting Echidna again was actually pretty fun as Dante.

- I can see exactly why backtracking would piss some people off, but at least Capcom at least tried to change stuff up with the environments.

Defuser

~Devil Trigger~ said:
what? i did'nt buy that. i just got Speed and when i run, i press "select" and voila
The name of the dropkick is called Rainbow,Dahbomb meant to say speed but instead said the running dropkick.

Dahbomb

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Then wtf does Rainbow do then? :lol

I need to look again then, I may have made a mistake when I was purchasing moves.

Dahbomb

Nemesis556 said:
From the achievement guide (Prima). What is this >_>
WTF that doesn't make any sense! :lol

How can you play as Super Nero WITH Dante or vice versa? And is the "Secret" concerning the Achievement related to it being a Locked achievement or that you get a secret something for beating the game with that achievement?

Defuser said:
The name of the dropkick is called Rainbow,Dahbomb meant to say speed but instead said the running dropkick.
Oh yeah that! :D It is listed as Rainbow but you actually get it as part of the Speed upgrade.

dralla

Is Table Topper worth buying? I don't even know what it does, it sounds like the regular evade move? Proud Souls are tough to come by, so I don't want to waste them.

Kyoufu

dralla said:
Is Table Topper worth buying? I don't even know what it does, it sounds like the regular evade move? Proud Souls are tough to come by, so I don't want to waste them.

Table Topper is awesome if you can use it. Basically its like a just-roll/evade except you dash to the side and sprint immediately, boosting your style meter and allowing you to counter attack. Also sprinting = dropkick in the face of evil.

Sectus

BotoxAgent said:
noob question: What difference does setting the combo on Automatic make?
-Pistol will automatically charge after a few seconds when standing idle or moving around
-When firing normal pistol shots you don't have to click for every shot, one click means 3 pistol shots
-When doing melee attacks on the ground it seems the game will automatically choose a combo for the player (including combos which may launch and juggle the enemy)
-The game will give the player random instant-exceed while doing melee attacks (seems to happen about 30% of the time, very few of them being perfect)

Early in the game you probably won't notice the difference between normal and automatic as you have a tiny amount of moves to choose between. I recommend playing with Automatic off, and if you ever feel it's overwhelming to manage different combos you can try Automatic.

Help me out here.
My gaming skills aren't what they used to be so I find other ways to make up for it.
With Ninja Gaiden I killed bats forever to get health potions. Those potions helped me get through many a boss battle.
Are there any sort of health potions in the DMC series?

Kyoufu

CitizenCope said:
Help me out here.
My gaming skills aren't what they used to be so I find other ways to make up for it.
With Ninja Gaiden I killed bats forever to get health potions. Those potions helped me get through many a boss battle.
Are there any sort of health potions in the DMC series?

Yeah you can purchase Vital Stars with red orbs.

Nemesis_

Dahbomb said:
WTF that doesn't make any sense! :lol

How can you play as Super Nero WITH Dante or vice versa? And is the "Secret" concerning the Achievement related to it being a Locked achievement or that you get a secret something for beating the game with that achievement?

Oh yeah that! :D It is listed as Rainbow but you actually get it as part of the Speed upgrade.
Secret, as in the achievement is "secret"/

Perhaps something you unlock when you finish Hell or Hell Mode? I mean, why include a character select if it just means that you can select between your standard character or auto standard character? >_>

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Nemesis556 said:
Secret, as in the achievement is "secret"/

Perhaps something you unlock when you finish Hell or Hell Mode? I mean, why include a character select if it just means that you can select between your standard character or auto standard character? >_>

Bloody Palace.

Dahbomb

Defuser said:
Btw Dahbomb, what are the DMC veterans impression of DMC4 so far?
On the boards most of the n00bs got the game so far, the veterans have generally gone dark and haven't said much about the game because they are too busy trying to master the game and come up with the end all combo video. Some of the stuff that I have gathered from people who have actually played and finished the game:

Pros:

*Great graphics all around with only minor tidbits here and there that detract from the experience. Cutscenes are almost FMV quality in some cases. Art wise it also hits the spot and is line with the standard of the series. Echoes the memory of DMC1 in some cases.

*Excellent game play and gets better and better with additional difficulties and upgrades. This is fucking DMC, 'nuff said just wait for the combo videos. :lol

*Bloody Palace is some what better than DMC3, mostly because of the enemies. The fact that you have all of your arsenal at once makes this mode even more complete. Mixed bag on the timer but I do not think most people have a problem with it, it's just to avoid some exploitive mechanics in the game.

*Enemy designs/mechanics are WAY BETTER than DMC3 and ALMOST DMC1 caliber especially in the harder difficulties. Boss fights are very solid as well but the best one thus far appears to be the Dante encounters with the Credo one behind it.

*Nero's story is some what decent despite MOST of the veterans not even liking Nero. :lol

*Difficulty ramps up insanely in later difficulties. Hell or Hell mode is exactly what the veterans have wanted (ie. the difficulty setting to end all difficulty settings). Haven't heard of anyone beating HoH mode yet which basically tells you how ball crushing it is.

*Devil Hunter ranking system is addicting and keeps pushing the vets to play even better than they played DMC3. I haven't heard of any exploits/glitches in the system but those usually take some time to find out.

*Devil Trigger mechanics for both Dante/Nero make the game a lot more exciting. It's what the vets have wanted since they were jacked with DT concerning DMC3. Now DT actually means something than just boosted stats.

*Most veterans who were fans of DMC1 said this game is a lot like that one, spiritually. Better enemy designs, re-fights of bosses, better art/environment design, backtracking, final boss fight, emphasis on enemy interaction and timing (for Nero), re-introduction of Ifrit moves in Gilgamesh, superior DT system, returning DMC1 enemies. If DMC3 didn't exist, DMC4 would get a 10/10 no doubt about it because of the huge leap from DMC1 in most areas.

*General polish added to the game and subtle touches. Introduction of "Bonus" system, enemy handicaps, tweaking of taunting mechanic, Perfect IR mechanic, tweaking of Style meter, addition of Sprint etc. Most of these things and a lot more are things that mostly the hardcore fans will realize as newcomers or even casual players of DMC will go "wait that's it? I thought this was in the previous DMC games already".

Cons:

*Omission of moves like Pole Play, Free Ride, Crazy Combos, Wild Stomp and Wall Run have toned down the over the top personality of DMC3 but the game is still fairly OTT as most of you guys already know. The omissions are still quite unwarranted.

*Where are the fucking new weapons? And where are the GOD DAMN COSTUMES?

*Playing more as Nero as compared to Dante was lame (because DMC fans are predominantly Dante fans). It's also more lame that Dante, who you play less as, is more complex than Nero game play wise which just makes the disparity of game play time even more confounding.

*Story, especially Dante's part, sucks balls. Lack of Vergil makes this game lack a significant bad ass character especially with Dante being so ridiculous cheesy (this is coming from DMC3 fans btw). The ending is also extremely vague for Nero and the final boss fight sucked.

*The other complaints are basically what most of the people and reviews here have already said: Backtracking, recycled content, stupid puzzles, Nero being limited compared to Dante etc.

The general consensus is that there is no general consensus on DMC4 yet. It's too early to tell where it specifically ranks in the entire series; ie. better than DMC3SE, better than DMC1. Most people have come away from the game impressed saying that despite its faults its still an excellent DMC game that gets better and better the more you play. Most of the hate is coming from people who haven't actually played or are major fans of the story of the series.

Zzoram

I just bought DMC4 for Xbox 360 today. I had a $30 gift card for EBGames from Christmas so I figured I'd use it.

While I was there:

I saw more copies for PS3 on their behind-the-counter glass covered shelf, and someone was buying the PS3 version just as I was leaving. I suspect they ordered more PS3 copies figuring it would sell better on that platform. Also, when I was entering, someone bought a PS3 40gb.

Dahbomb

Dave1988 said:
Kobayashi says "DO NOT WANT" to DLC.
Kobayashi says a lot of things and you of all people should know this by now.

DMC4 will have DLC, I am calling it right now. After some of the fans will start going into outburst mode, Capcom will take notice. You cannot take away costumes from the fangirls. :lol

Narag

Dahbomb said:
Kobayashi says a lot of things and you of all people should know this by now.

DMC4 will have DLC, I am calling it right now. After some of the fans will start going into outburst mode, Capcom will take notice. You cannot take away costumes from the fangirls. :lol

I won't lie. I'd pay money for a playable vergil.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Dahbomb said:
The general consensus is that there is no general consensus on DMC4 yet. It's too early to tell where it specifically ranks in the entire series; ie. better than DMC3SE, better than DMC1. Most people have come away from the game impressed saying that despite its faults its still an excellent DMC game that gets better and better the more you play. Most of the hate is coming from people who haven't actually played or are major fans of the story of the series.
Please, it's just the IGN board that says the game suck and you seem to value their opinion more than every other board out there.

It's the only place that says the game is disappointing and these haven't even played the game on the virtue that it's not teh Debil may cri!1 bocsause dant eisnt teh main ddude!

Dahbomb

Narag said:
I won't lie. I'd pay money for a playable vergil.
I would buy DMC4 AGAIN just to play with Vergil. I know it's sad and I fell into the same trap with DMC3SE but I just love me some Vergil.

Pedobear said:
Please, it's just the IGN board that says the game suck and you seem to value their opinion more than every other board out there.

It's the only place that says the game is disappointing and these haven't even played the game on the virtue that it's not teh Debil may cri!1 bocsause dant eisnt teh main ddude!
There are people outside the IGN board who have their issues with DMC. It varies from person to person but they aren't "OMFG DMC4 is DMC2 caliber debacle" that is happening in the IGN board. That place is a mess you cannot even carry a normal conversation there now because the same 5 users go on the verbal diarrhea of DMC4 sucking according to their interpretation of what a DMC story/game SHOULD be like. That place is like the extreme of things obviously but DMC4 certainly has some issues that make it not the perfect DMC game, but still an excellent one.

Hey guys know what's awesome? I'm on mission 16, so that means I'm almost at the end right? Well, thing about that is this game has pretty much the best replay value since Burnout 3 and even though I'm almost finished with it storywise, I've only scraped the bare surface.

I have a test to take and when I get back I have the rest of the day off. *bounces*

Dahbomb

brandonh83 said:
Hey guys know what's awesome? I'm on mission 16, so that means I'm almost at the end right? Well, thing about that is this game has pretty much the best replay value since Burnout 3 and even though I'm almost finished with it storywise, I've only scraped the bare surface.
This is DMC lol.

Kyoufu

Dahbomb said:
I would buy DMC4 AGAIN just to play with Vergil. I know it's sad and I fell into the same trap with DMC3SE but I just love me some Vergil.

There are people outside the IGN board who have their issues with DMC. It varies from person to person but they aren't "OMFG DMC4 is DMC2 caliber debacle" that is happening in the IGN board. That place is a mess you cannot even carry a normal conversation there now because the same 5 users go on the verbal diarrhea of DMC4 sucking according to their interpretation of what a DMC story/game SHOULD be like. That place is like the extreme of things obviously but DMC4 certainly has some issues that make it not the perfect DMC game, but still an excellent one.

Same trap? dude, 3SE was worth every penny! Vergil made the game even more enjoyable for me.

Some things I hope for DLC or Special Edition:

*Play as Dante in all missions. (this'll be complicated because of grim grip level design)

*Boost the Dark Slayer style. It fails.

*Playable female, preferably Trish or Gloria.

*Nelo Angelo (vergil)

Will pay a handsome price for those additions.

BTW, is it me or does Lucifer boss come from Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne?

Video of that here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=2ZCuDmLnZ0A

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Dahbomb said:
That place is like the extreme of things obviously but DMC4 certainly has some issues that make it not the perfect DMC game, but still an excellent one.
True! It's not perfect. It's not even as good as DMC3.

But being better than DMC is one hell of an achievement.

Dahbomb said:
This is DMC lol.

Yeah I know... but oddly enough when I beat DMC1, 2, and 3, I didn't have too much of an urge to do anything else with them. I loved the hell out of 1 and 3, and I've beaten them more than once, but I didn't bother learning the combos and things like that. But with this one, I don't know what makes it stand out but I've just enjoyed this one so much more and I can see myself actually trying for S ranks on most of the missions.

Dahbomb

brandonh83 said:
Yeah I know... but oddly enough when I beat DMC1, 2, and 3, I didn't have too much of an urge to do anything else with them. I loved the hell out of 1 and 3, and I've beaten them more than once, but I didn't bother learning the combos and things like that. But with this one, I don't know what makes it stand out but I've just enjoyed this one so much more and I can see myself actually trying for S ranks on most of the missions.
Read my post about subtle polish changes to the mechanics. There are things in DMC4 that weren't in DMC3 that are subtely added to give the appearance of the actual depth in the game. With the previous DMC games you really didn't know how deep you can get but with DMC4 you sort of have an idea.

Same trap? dude, 3SE was worth every penny! Vergil made the game even more enjoyable for me.
Yeah but it doesn't change the fact that it SHOULD HAVE been in the game day one. Just like how unlockable costumes SHOULD HAVE been in DMC4 day one.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Don't have the time for GAF right now, but I took the pic of my t-shirt (poster is in another page):

uKRSDcBxo.jpg

JgBcfFCwQ.jpg

Dahbomb said:
Read my post about subtle polish changes to the mechanics. There are things in DMC4 that weren't in DMC3 that are subtely added to give the appearance of the actual depth in the game. With the previous DMC games you really didn't know how deep you can get but with DMC4 you sort of have an idea.

True. But whatever the case, I like what they did with it.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
four missions in i'm kind of disappointed. the basic combat is great -- i really like nero's devil bringer and exceed. but the ratio of combat to puzzle/exploration/platforming nonsense has been worryingly low. and neither of the two bosses so far has been very interesting in terms of patterns. i agree with the sentiment that this is more like dmc1 than dmc3...and i'm a dmc3 fan. preliminarily, i wouldn't say it's as good or as challenging as dmc1 either. damn it, why didn't people understand dmc3 -- 1up called this a 'return to form' :/

well, there's still plenty of time for things to pick up...though i'm troubled by the reports of heavy recycling

Top Bottom