• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Jirotrom

BradVanDam said:
what difficulty is everybody playing on
devil hunter... its pretty easy... may be easier than DMC3SE... feels damn good though. I'm starting to rev way more consistently now, but right now I'm not trying for high scores or anything. In all honesty this is my favorite DMC yet, I know some will disagree but the combat feels way better than DMC3's. I didn't think I would dig nero but I am liking this a whole lot.

Jirotrom

VaLiancY said:
Another fucking board game and its longer. The Chess fight in DMC3 was far better then this.
I don't remember this chess fight...

a Master Ninja said:
I hate that kind of oversight.

If any owners of the 360 version haven't already done so, for the love of Sparda change Lock-On to the Right Trigger.
why are you so angry...? Its not like its hard to change it.

purg3

slept with Malkin
a Master Ninja said:

If any owners of the 360 version haven't already done so, for the love of Sparda change Lock-On to the Right Trigger.

Seriously, changing lock on to the trigger was the first thing I did when I got the game.

hteng

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
I'm just wondering what everyone's life guage is at. I'm at mission 8 boss and I still only have one bar of health and 4 or 5 dt notches.

I'm missing the last block, i've done all secret missions but i'm still missing 3 blue fragments

Jirotrom said:
why are you so angry...? Its not like its hard to change it.
You misunderstand, the disappointment was directed at instances when games don't acknowledge that if you can beat the harder difficulties you shouldn't need to bother with the lower difficulties to reap their rewards. Guitar Hero does the same thing.

unomas

Banned
I got to the end of mission 4 on devil hunter and for some reason when I didn't complete it I started back at the first part of the mission. I'm not really feeling the game so far, I'm playing on Devil Hunter and it just feels kinda meh for me, I can't imagine doing another 10+ missions. I dunno, I'll give it another chance tomorrow.

noonche

Alright, so I don't get this whole charging the Red Queen thing (exceed is it?) with Nero. Can some someone explain it to me?

Drewsy

Banned
BradVanDam said:
im gonna play h u man mode then i'll do devil hunter

fail.

Here's your reward!
pink_7.jpg

Narag said:
I didn't realize the 360 version had the popup showing where friends were when you first turned it on. God bless capcom for this multiplatform bounty of awesome.
Yup the PS3 version does that too.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
I'm on the third mission and let me say: I was having a lot more fun with the demo. I hate being stripped of all my abilities at the get-go. For longtime DMC fans, this is terrible. For new-comers, it's relieving.

I'm the former, so.... ****! I'm finally upgraded to the point the demo-Nero was though, so at mission 3, hopefully the game really begins.

The game, on Devil Hunter, is pretty easy so far. Again, I miss DMC3's relentless and insane difficulty because you always felt like you could better yourself or increase your manual dexterity to push forward. So far in DMC4, I feel I could completely forego the EX system and rush through the game.

Hopefully it picks up. Remember: it's still fun, but I was hoping for a bit more challenge. So yeah, only complaint thus far.

Nemesis_

Mission 3. I'm on the second side of the giant portrait with "Your Holiness" at the north end.

I smash the blue switch thingy, activate it, now what? I've destroyed the mirror to get the Blue Orb too, but no door behind it.

Any ideas?

Zefah said:
I finally picked the game up today for the Xbox 360. I was a bit worried because I suck at fast-paced action games like this and Ninja Gaiden and I couldn't beat Belial in the demo, but I decided to take the plunge anyway. I started on Devil Hunter difficulty and I was actually able to beat the first stage and Belial without dying (I had to use a few heal items on Belial, though). I couldn't beat the time-attack "secret mission" in the first stage, though. Does anyone have any tips on how to beat them in such a short amount of time?

Anyway, the game is awesome. The sound, graphics and controls all kick some serious ass and load times are almost non-existent. I can't wait to play more, but I need to do some studying for midterm exams now...

Get used to just-Revving.

Swing your sword, and tap Left Trigger the moment your blade connects with the enemy. this can be continually changed as long as you get the timing right.

Nemesis_

Nemesis556 said:
Mission 3. I'm on the second side of the giant portrait with "Your Holiness" at the north end.

I smash the blue switch thingy, activate it, now what? I've destroyed the mirror to get the Blue Orb too, but no door behind it.

Any ideas?
Nvm >_>

MiamiWesker said:
What is the orb category measuring at the end of a mission. Is it the amount of orbs hidden in the level? Is it total orbs like what you get from killing enemies? If its from the rbs you can find in a level can't you just run around anywhere and get orbs from past missions. I have no clue what its asking for.

No one can help with this?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
And I thought I had instant-revving mastered in the demo; the final game has even more combos for Nero (I just bought the /\ pause /\ pause /\ /\ /\ combo). Damn is it hard to get the IR down for that one!

dirtmonkey37 said:
And I thought I had instant-revving mastered in the demo; the final game has even more combos for Nero (I just bought the /\ pause /\ pause /\ /\ /\ combo). Damn is it hard to get the IR down for that one!

There is no such combo. Look at it again ;)

MiamiWesker said:
No one can help with this?

I honestly don't know. I've only accomplished this on the firs mission (dante vs. nero)

Just smash up all the benches.

I think in order to get 100% orbs, you can't run from any 'unique- first time fights' (not counting respawns, find all orbs, smash all objects which can give you orbs.

Objects that regenerate after coming and returning to a new screen (i.e, benches and shit) aren't required if you've already smashed them.

hteng

Banned
Ferrio said:
Does ingame/manual do a good job of explaining the system, or will I have to go else where to learn stuff?

in game manual does not say anything about secret missions, instant revvings...etc

Daante

Hiya all! :)

Got my CC PAL PS3 version yesterday.. , played alot last night! :p

I was wondering what kind of style i should go for with Nero? , atm i have been using "Vaerity" for some missions and it seems pretty good hu?
Im a little lost how this "system" works , you can switch between this 3 systems, novice,Varetiy and Orthodox, or you can choose to not choose any of em and spend points on learning all skils manually? (sorry if it seems like a noob question , actually i am a dmc veteran but this makes me a bit dizzy :S , and no i havent read the manual cause i was to fired up yesterday to install the game and start playing it! :p )

Lince

Banned
neojubei said:
Is it is me or does the full game runs and looks better than the PSN demo?

sharper IQ with better texturing in some places and I think that "frame blending" technique has been toned down a lot.

PSN: Lince_SPAIN

Defuser

Daante said:
Hiya all! :)

Got my CC PAL PS3 version yesterday.. , played alot last night! :p

I was wondering what kind of style i should go for with Nero? , atm i have been using "Vaerity" for some missions and it seems pretty good hu?
Im a little lost how this "system" works , you can switch between this 3 systems, novice,Varetiy and Orthodox, or you can choose to not choose any of em and spend points on learning all skils manually? (sorry if it seems like a noob question , actually i am a dmc veteran but this makes me a bit dizzy :S , and no i havent read the manual cause i was to fired up yesterday to install the game and start playing it! :p )
Let's just say nobody actually use that point allocation system as Nero's gameplay is virtually the same regardless novice,variety or orthodox. It's best you spent the points manually yourself to see which skills you will need the most or suit you.

Daante

Defuser said:
Let's just say nobody actually use that point allocation system as Nero's gameplay is virtually the same regardless novice,variety or orthodox. It's best you spent the points manually yourself to see which skills you will need the most or suit you.

Okay! , thanks for that info :)
Will look in to it tonight for sure! :)

the_id

I'm sure this has been asked countless times, but can someone please explain to me how to Instant Rev the Red Queen?

Kyoufu

the_id said:
I'm sure this has been asked countless times, but can someone please explain to me how to Instant Rev the Red Queen?

Dahbomb said:
EXCEED

This is a mechanic of your sword that is mapped to the L2/Left Trigger button. This is probably the most complex aspect of Nero found in the demo. At first glance, it appears to be a way to charge up your sword attacks with a nice glowing orange fire and it is. However there are 2 methods of doing this:

Charge Stance Method: While standing you continuously tap the Exceed button until your gauge starts filling up. Once you get in the rhythm of the taps, you can get it to charge fairly quickly. While in this state you cannot perform any other attacks and are bound to the state until the charge finishes or you perform a slash with the sword. There are 3 Lanterns to fill up, each Lantern represents a move or an attack. Meaning with 3 Lanterns you can perform 3 EX High Roller (the EX abbreviation means a super charged up move with different properties of the one that is named).

This method is not that useful…. at all. It’s not that quick even if you DO get in the rhythm of it and 9/10 you are just better off attacking the enemy with normal attacks because of the time consumption. It also takes away time from your Style meter which I will get to at near the end. It’s only semi-useful application is it’s “ghetto” canceling property which allows it to completely override moves in the game, even some aerial ones. I am still working on some fancy things you can do with the Stance but just concentrate on the 2nd method…

So the question is… how do I get maximum utilization of this mechanic?

Just Frame EX. The 2nd method does not constrain you to a stance of charging up. Instead it requires you to perform any slash attack and figure out a particular FRAME during that attack when you are able to tap the EX button which allows you to SUPER charge up a Lantern in an instant!

That particular frame is called the move’s “Just Frame” where if you just tap the EX button it will reward you with a full lantern. Clearly this method is vastly superior to the Stance method as it allows you to effectively incorporate EX moves into combos. The limiter factor to this method is that with each successive move that you Just Frame, that frame window becomes smaller and smaller. Theoretically speaking, if you are aware of every attack’s Just Frame window you can perform a combo in which EVERY MOVE is EX!

Example:

/\ [Y], EX, High Roller, EX, /\ [Y], EX, /\ [Y], EX, Helm Breaker, EX, Streak

The above combo is base level EX combo, it doesn’t incorporate stuff like rebounding, canceling, Snatch/Buster or gun tricks. Yet it is probably more difficult to perform than any previous combo you have done up to know because of the amount of Just Frames you have to get right.

The timings of the Just Frames varies from move to move. With Streak and High Roller, the JF window is at the recovery animation of the attack where as with the regular slashes it’s towards the middle. Experiment with this mechanic and you will be rewarded immensely.

The following is a breakdown of how particular moves are affected by EX:

Ground Combos EX: Animation wise they stay the same, but their speed, power and range are drastically increased. The final hit of Combo I is quite hard hitting. Getting all of Combo II to go EX is very difficult as it’s like 9 slashes in a row!

Aerial slashes EX: Same as above. No animation change but increase in speed, power and range.

Streak EX: Animation is changed greatly. The character rears back with the sword and delivers a twirl of flaming carnage. It has phenomenal range and is a great crowd clearer. An interesting property of this move is that you can hold the attack button to allow the move to be charged EVEN FURTHER! During the charge you can tap the EX button to gain more EX gauge for following attacks. The perfect combo finisher.

Hell Breaker EX: Animation is also changed. It is now an extremely fast thrust downwards as opposed to being a slow vertical slice downwards. It still retains its rebounding ability.

High Roller EX: Quicker, stronger and launches higher than the normal version. It also appears to have more range.

Here you go.

Draft

a Master Ninja said:

Nooooooope. I'm not about to confuse my DMC muscles by reversing lock on and weapon swap.

This game seems really short and it seems to move ridiculously fast. I'm already on Mission 10 and I've died only a handful of times.

Chao

Xyphie said:
Europe got fucked as usual and didn't get the Bonus DVD. The american version has it though.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHH!!

I WANT TO PUNCH A BABY, FUCK

bonus dvd was really worth it? is it a regular dvd or do you have to play it on your console?

Top Bottom