• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Zzoram

If I didn't upload a score from 1 mission, is there any way to do that without playing the mission again? I will play it again, but right now my leaderboard scores look weird because I'm missing mission 3, which I didn't upload by accident :lol

deepbrown said:
Where do we go!? I've done this level twice now and jumped up the same platforms as that's what I'm supposed to do...so where is the friggin door and why does it allow me to backtrack if I'm not supposed to...seems pointless and frustrating.

The fight where you first meet Agnus right?

Yeah, push foward. There is a blue pillar where you grabbed Yamato. there should be a door in that very same room, don't backtrack from the lab until you find that door.

Tokubetsu said:
While I understand everyone's complaints about nero, especially versus Dante, I really hope this isn't the last time we see him. At the very least, I hope we have the option between the two for the entire game in DMC5 or something along those lines.

Nero would have been the shit if they just superimposed Dante's insta-style and weapon changing mechanic onto him.

this is why, 2 game character mechanics never work.

Heavenly Sword = beyond dumb
Ninja gaiden sigma = rachel was just essentially ryu with a different weapon, but not as cool

I think DMC4 does it the best, offering two characters with differences yet similarities, but at the same time each has their purpose, and each will have their favorite fan base. But imagine the awesomeness of -EITHER- Dante or Nero if they just slapped the devil arm mechanic to Dante, or slapped all the weapons/styles/and tricks of Dante onto Nero.

deepbrown

C- Warrior said:
The fight where you first meet Agnus right?

Yeah, push foward. There is a blue pillar where you grabbed Yamato. there should be a door in that very same room, don't backtrack from the lab until you find that door.
Nope. I know what to do now. It wants you to back track back through the picture you broke...you are then meant to go through one of the doors directly on the left or right...DO NOT jump down and go through any of those doors. I mean how are we supposed to know to do that? Shitty poo.

Sectus

Tokubetsu said:
While I understand everyone's complaints about nero, especially versus Dante, I really hope this isn't the last time we see him. At the very least, I hope we have the option between the two for the entire game in DMC5 or something along those lines.
I personally hope Lady will become playable in the next game. She looks cool, and in the gallery you can see she's equipped with a really big nifty cannon. The fact you can't use the cannon in the game is just an evil tease.

Sectus said:
I personally hope Lady will become playable in the next game. She looks cool, and in the gallery you can see she's equipped with a really big nifty cannon. The fact you can't use the cannon in the game is just an evil tease.

No, stick with one character.

It eats up development time to render, animate the new character both in gameplay and cutscenes, and in script and voice acting.

If you have interesting ideas for a new character, just super-impose them on Dante.

Things work out for DMC4 since Nero plays a lot simpler, therefore not scaring the shit out of people who haven't played a DMC game or haven't touched one since DMC1, and then you switch to Dante when you know .... it's game time :D

NekoFever

I got my UK 360 special edition in the post this morning. Thank god it's in one of those decent tins (BioShock, Lost Planet) and not a horrible Halo 3/Gears one. It's also great to see that the option to configure the controls was in there (I was avoiding reviews so I'm not sure how well known this was before release), so I went straight in and changed the lock-on button to the right trigger. That was my only real complaint about the 360 version when I played both demos and the fact that it was fixed makes me feel better about cheaping out.

It's a fantastic game. Considering how great certain things have looked as early in the game as I am, the first boss especially, I can't wait to see what this game starts throwing around by the end.

Zzoram

shintoki said:
Odd question, but...How does one get S ranks in missions?:lol They seem really hard even on the normal mode

Basically get up to S or above in every fight you can, and never get hit.

Kyoufu

shintoki said:
Odd question, but...How does one get S ranks in missions?:lol They seem really hard even on the normal mode

Beat it within a certain time, get enough stylish points, get 100% orbs and don't use any items. Oh and do not take any damage.

Second dante fight is impossible, i'm getting that dmc3 feeling all over again and i was having so much fun. Hope this isn't the spot i get stuck forever and stop.

So, what kind of things are we hoping for as DLC? What I'm hoping for, as DLC or DMC4SE:

-the three elemental DMC3 weapons
-playable bosses from the previous games including Phantom and Vergil, most likely as additions to the Bloody Palace
-costumes, duh
-it might throw off the game balance, but I'd enjoy it if they added DTE back into the game, perhaps as something weapon-specific or style-specific because I really want to be able to use Yamato to do Million Orb

j-wood

I'd really like to get it, but i'd have to trade in some games, since I'm a little strapped for cash.

Assassin's Creed is definitely going to be sold.

j-wood said:
I've completely missed this thread guys...is this game a must buy if you like the DMC series?

Those who haven't played DMC or haven't played DMC since the first one tend to love it, very much so.

Those who live and breathe DMC3, are still contemplating if DMC4 > DMC3.

I think we're going to have to give DMC4 a fair shake on the harder difficulty settings.

That's one thing DMC3 did poorly (DMD mode in DMC3 was not done well), while DMC4 seems to handle it pretty well.

Ultimately, this game is designed by far best to be approachable by 'normal gamers.' Everything is well paced, explained, tons of difficulty options, automatic feature choosable, checkpoints, tutorial is very in-depth etc.

Future

The switch from Nero to Dante is a weird one. I'm a DMC vet so the transition just seemed like coming home, but for the average player without DMC experience? How would you know what any of these styles do, why you should upgrade, etc. Long ass tutorial for Nero, but none for Dante. And why did they remove the 3 consecutive dashes in Trickster! Argh!!!

Overall the game is good but I agree with the scores. This game is an 8. It excels in combat, but iffy level design (I also got lost backtrackin many times like people in this thread) and crappy elements added for pacing
(Dice roll, grapple platforming, spinning the tops, etc)
bring the experience down a notch. I'm not lookin forward to every cut scene either like I was in DMC3.

Love the bosses though, but I havent finished the game yet (mission 16). And since I am sure the fuckin
rolling dice thing will come up again, can anyone just tell me how to guarantee your roll?
Someone mentioned you can

maskrider

shintoki said:

I am rather bad as you can see in my total rankings, I got S in both Human and DH for first Dante fight (after a couple of tries for each), ha ha ! But not yet in the others.

Don't get hit to keep the style up, look for the red orbs and save time by not running around.

Zzoram

where's the link to the video of the guy who jump cancels a frost into the upper atmosphere? i want to show it to a friend :lol

Zophar

badcrumble said:
So, what kind of things are we hoping for as DLC? What I'm hoping for, as DLC or DMC4SE:

-playable bosses from the previous games including Phantom and Vergil, most likely as additions to the Bloody Palace
-costumes, duh
-it might throw off the game balance, but I'd enjoy it if they added DTE back into the game, perhaps as something weapon-specific or style-specific because I really want to be able to use Yamato to do Million Orb

I want to be able to take both Dante and Nero through the entire game, like the inclusion of Vergil in DMC3:SE.

maskrider

badcrumble said:

-costumes, duh

For me, only these 2

- I want to play as Trish and Lady in some way
- Costumes (for all, including Trish and Lady for sure, Heh heh !)

Sectus

C- Warrior said:
No, stick with one character.

It eats up development time to render, animate the new character both in gameplay and cutscenes, and in script and voice acting.

If you have interesting ideas for a new character, just super-impose them on Dante.

Things work out for DMC4 since Nero plays a lot simpler, therefore not scaring the shit out of people who haven't played a DMC game or haven't touched one since DMC1, and then you switch to Dante when you know .... it's game time :D
Well, I personally like some variation. They did a great job modelling Lady, yet you only see her in one short cutscene (what's even more odd is that they spent time modelling and texturing that cannon, yet you only see it in the gallery). I think it would have been great if she was a playable character, even if she wasn't as complex as Dante or Nero.

Also, your logic about Dante/Nero is flawed :p Dante is playable in only a third of the game. Nero is clearly the main character of the game. I think the addition of exceed and devil bringer makes him complex enough compared to Dante.

Sectus

macksplack said:
Second dante fight is impossible, i'm getting that dmc3 feeling all over again and i was having so much fun. Hope this isn't the spot i get stuck forever and stop.
Die 3 times in a row and continue. You'll notice the fight magically becomes much much easier :p

Zzoram

Sectus said:
Die 3 times in a row and continue. You'll notice the fight magically becomes much much easier :p

How much is the enemy weakened? And do they weaken even more if you keep dying?

I got the enemy weakened penalty for Berial on Devil Hunter :lol

Sectus

Zzoram said:
How much is the enemy weakened? And do they weaken even more if you keep dying?

I got the enemy weakened penalty for Berial on Devil Hunter :lol
Yes, I'm pretty sure they will become weakened even more. I got stuck at the final boss because I couldn't figure out how to evade an attack. And I died A LOT. When I finally figured out what to do, I literally killed in the boss in one hit. I'm fairly certain he's not supposed to die that easily.

maskrider said:
For me, only these 2

- I want to play as Trish and Lady in some way
- Costumes (for all, including Trish and Lady for sure, Heh heh !)
That's the same DLC I'm hoping for :p

Especially costumes. I can remember the awesome teddy bear costume you could get in Onimusha 3, and it turned all the cutscenes into pure awesomeness. DMC4 *needs* alternate costumes!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Sectus said:
Yes, I'm pretty sure they will become weakened even more. I got stuck at the final boss because I couldn't figure out how to evade an attack. And I died A LOT. When I finally figured out what to do, I literally killed in the boss in one hit. I'm fairly certain he's not supposed to die that easily.
Well thats nice to know. Guess I'll just him kill me a dozen or so times.:lol

I need to go back and get some missing blue orbs and secret missions. I am currently on Mission 10, but Iam farming and trying to get S ranks for my previous missions.

Mission 3 and 5 seem to be the ones I need to work on
My best rank is mission 9 Devil Hunter, I made # 25 in the world leaderboard (360).:D

Roxas

dont know if it has been mentioned yet, but just seen the UK advert for DMC4, seems like Microsoft threw some moneyhats at Capcom as the ad seems to imply that the game is 360 only.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
deepbrown said:
So can I ask very obvious question. Why the fuck is Turok stickied and DMC4 not!?

I think a thread needs 7,000 replies before it's stickied...

Zzoram

Roxas said:
dont know if it has been mentioned yet, but just seen the UK advert for DMC4, seems like Microsoft threw some moneyhats at Capcom as the ad seems to imply that the game is 360 only.

When commercials only show 1 logo at the end, it's because that platform holder paid for the commercial.

Danielsan

Roxas said:

Personally I'm just very happy this game is getting marketed at all. From the tv commercials to the countless of banners on Xboxlive and several gaming sites.

(Probably been asked, searching didn't help) but I have the 360 version and every time I start up the game it asks me which storage device I want to use (only have the HD) and if I want to see the Live info. Marvel: UA did the same thing (ask for the storage device every time) but it doesn't seem normal. Is it supposed to do this?

Also I'm at about mission 6 or 7 and as someone who says DMC ranks high on fav. franchises, I've been very pleased with this game so far. Capcom knows it's stuff.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
brandonh83 said:
Maybe that was sarcasm or an in-joke that I missed but the Turok thread only has over 600 replies

It's not a joke. There is a different reason as to why Turok is stickied.

Top Bottom