• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Oneself

_leech_ said:
You're on a computer... posting on GAF... i'm sure there are other things you could be doing while it's installing.

:lol Sure! I'm doing other things, but I watched the first 7 minutes thinking the recap would last the whole process....

Chao

Please, could anybody confirm if the bonus DVD is a regular DVD or if it's required to be played on the console? Thanks.

slade

maskrider said:
Human for the Couch picture
Devil Hunter for the casts picture

I completed these 2.

I had posted 2560x720 pictures in my earlier posts in this thread.

Oh ok, thanks. I completed the game on Devil Hunter so I've only got the cast picture.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So I just got back from picking up the PS3 CE at my local Best Buy. They had several copies of each for both systems, as well as many copies of the regular version. Oddly enough my first stop was Target, which was completely sold out of the 360 version, which wasn't odd, but for whatever reason they just weren't stocking the PS3 version at all. Literally no sign of it, not even an empty slot or anything. Anyone run into that?

frogg609 said:
I was just curious, if I hadn't played the other 3, will I be totally lost in the story of this one?

More than likely. And honestly, if you own a PS2, go play 1 and 3 first(2 isn't good, and the story is irrelevant and boring). Don't just get caught up in the hype of 4, because 1 and 3 are both fantastic games, and they're cheap.

Danielsan

So I got the game today. First of, the European CE is a joke, that said the case is absolutely lovely. Slick black front and silver black back. No ugly 360 logo's to be found on the entire thing. Probably one of my favorite gamecases ever.

I'm playing the game on Devil Hunter mode but man I must have gone rusty or something because it really isn't the cakewalk some of you made it out to be. In fact it feels very much like normal on DMC3, which is a good thing but I have to admit that I died a couple of times. When the enemies get a hit on you (for instance during a taunt) they take off a great piece of your health. Heck I accidentally walked into a fireball twice with full health which resulted in my early demise.

The cutscenes are ridiculous.. ridiculously awsome. Seriously Dante's entrance cutscene was amazing. :D

Nero starts off very very barebones, especially when you're used to playing the demo, it also doesn't help that the upgrades cost a shit ton proud souls. :lol

I've only played 6 missions so far but it's definitely been outstanding thusfar. I'm still not entirely used to Nero and to be honest I want more weapons for me. The second boss was fucking awsome, even more so than Berial and the enemies in this game are fantastic. Especially the knights put up a great fight. The atmosphere and feel of the game are definitely more DMC1 which is great too. Overall I"m definitely happy with it.

ps: I love how this game has most of it's achievements set to secret. It keeps me focussed on the game instead of those silly achievements.

Devil Hunter is far too easy for a default DMC, but I don't mind. I see the first run through as 'farming'. :D

And *gasp* I actually LIKE Nero as a story character and a game character. The REV is so much fun!

Sectus

Okie, just tried a bit Automatic mode with Dante and in this case it seems like it might be a bit overpowered.

As with Nero, different combos will be done automatically as you perform the melee attack and the ranged weapon will be automatically charged. But when using the Pandora the game will almost instantly change to
Rocket Launcher or Laser Cannon
, and I really doubt a human player would be able to do the same equally fast. On the other hand, Dante's melee attacks feels completely unpredictable while in Automatic so I don't think it can used as an exploit to get free S ranks or something.

Amazing game so far. So much fun.

I need tips on how to complete Secret Mission 2. Also,
every now and then the devil bringer shines in a different way than when I charge shot. What is this supposed to do?

Anybody else think the lvl 4 boss is the best designed boss ever? :lol

I was Lol'ing all the time :lol.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Guys...wtf at Order of Sword HQ map. How do I cross the large gap inside the castle? Grappling on the hooks doesn't give me enough momentum. I also tried speed sprinting towards them :\

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just finished (devil hunter difficulty).

-Nero shouldn't exist. While the bringer helps keep combat fluid and allows for some neat mini cutscenes during boss fights, Nero's a huge step back from DMC3 Dante overall. Painful lack of variety to his combat mechanics. He's also emo.

-Too much backtracking and boss fight repetition.

-Frustrating platforming and "puzzles" that detract from the combat. The dice rolling, the laser traps, the spinning blades, the gyro bouncing, give it all a rest. The game seems to be channeling God of War more than DMC1 at times.

-Dante is so much fucking better than Nero. Dante's missions are bliss. Real-time style switching is sex and all of his weapons are fun and useful. WHY ARE THERE 15 NERO MISSIONS?

-The cutscenes...dotdotdot. The attempt at a love story belongs in a nine year-old's fanfiction notebook. All the cutscene content outside of the action scenes is beyond terrible. Combat choreography is pretty ace, tho.

-Shitty end bosses. Missions 18 and 19 are atrocities, and mission 20's stuff is 9 x 10^99999999999999999999999 light years away from how good Vergil 3 was. That goes for most of DMC4's bosses compared to DMC3's, too.

-Too many flying enemies, fighting 'em gets tedious.

-WHY IS DANTE NOT THE MAIN CHARACTER?

If Dante had not been playable for those 5 missions, I'd probably be feeling a weak C- area score. With Dante in there it's somewhere in the B range I s'pose. For the love of giant stone saviors, make Dante the main character of DMC5 and bring the focus back to (creative, free-flowing) combat.

Drewsy

Banned
I just got to the the first dice game...and I love it! It's about time this game threw round after round of enemies at me, bring it on.

Kyoufu

Okay so...

Lucifer is from SMT: Nocturne.

Pandora's Box is from MegaMan ZX.

Gilgamesh is from where? The only idea I have is that its a character in the old Tower of Druaga games by Namco, who appears in Namco X Capcom. Anyone got any better ideas?

I'm on mission 5 and
and the Devil bringer acts weird when you get close to a secret mission spot. Is this the ability you gain after defeating the Ice boss?

Bebpo

Banned
EviLore said:
Just finished (devil hunter difficulty).

-Nero shouldn't exist. While the bringer helps keep combat fluid and allows for some neat mini cutscenes during boss fights, Nero's a huge step back from DMC3 Dante overall. Painful lack of variety to his combat mechanics. He's also emo.

Story-wise agreed, but gameplay-wise he's pretty unique and it's actually nice to have two very different playing characters.

-Too much backtracking and boss fight repetition.

If you count the Dante levels as their own unique levels (since the areas are changed up) then there's almost no backtracking. Boss fight repetitions are ok since the bosses are good and it's fun to re-fight them after you've learned their patterns.

-Frustrating platforming and "puzzles" that detract from the combat. The dice rolling, the laser traps, the spinning blades, the gyro bouncing, give it all a rest. The game seems to be channeling God of War more than DMC1 at times.

People say this, but hardly saw any platforming in the game. Only on my 2nd run did I fall during that spike room and go "argh, now I have to do it again!" and the dice isn't bad when you learn how to get exactly what number you want. The laser parts are pretty easy.

-Dante is so much fucking better than Nero. Dante's missions are bliss. Real-time style switching is sex and all of his weapons are fun and useful. WHY ARE THERE 15 NERO MISSIONS?

Dante is fun, but I think when playing as him you really miss what Nero has to offer.

-The cutscenes...dotdotdot. The attempt at a love story belongs in a nine year-old's fanfiction notebook. All the cutscene content outside of the action scenes is beyond terrible. Combat choreography is pretty ace, tho.

Yeah. Outside the action they're pretty awful.

-Shitty end bosses. Missions 18 and 19 are atrocities, and mission 20's stuff is 9 x 10^99999999999999999999999 light years away from how good Vergil 3 was. That goes for most of DMC4's bosses compared to DMC3's, too.

Nah, all of the bosses outside the break a window mini-game boss were awesome IMO. Most are on par with DMC3 and some above DMC3. I'll give you that Vergil fight 3 was better than DMC4's final boss, but DMC4's finally boss is a good boss as well.

-Too many flying enemies, fighting 'em gets tedious.

Completely agree. I hate the cloak guys. They just take too long to fight and are boring. All the other enemies are fun to fight against though.

-WHY IS DANTE NOT THE MAIN CHARACTER?

Eh, wait for DMC5

If Dante had not been playable for those 5 missions, I'd probably be feeling a weak C- area score. With Dante in there it's somewhere in the B range I s'pose. For the love of giant stone saviors, make Dante the main character of DMC5 and bring the focus back to (creative, free-flowing) combat.

Play SoS now; enjoy the game.

Shiver

Secret mission 3: How far do you need to raise the style gauge and how? Is it possible to grab and hold on to enemies or something to make them hurt each other?

Dave1988

Kyoufu said:
Okay so...

Gilgamesh is from where? The only idea I have is that its a character in the old Tower of Druaga games by Namco, who appears in Namco X Capcom. Anyone got any better ideas?

Final Fantasy?

Heh, just as I expected. Nero is just to damn basic. While Irevving is cool and all, Nero ain't got jack shit on Dante and his on-the-fly 5 style switching.

Too bad Nero will probably return in 5.

Zophar

Kyoufu said:
Okay so...

Uh....sumerian folklore?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hopefully DMC5's opening cinematic shows Dante ripping off Nero's arm and grafting it to his own groin. Might need to bundle a special controller to be able to use sword switching, gun switching, style switching, and devil phallus at the same time, though.

maskrider

Not done by me, I downloaded a save just to check the gallery and grab the shots, no intention to play in anything higher than SoS yet.

6ql5co.jpg

2jcdchh.jpg

34yu1d1.jpg

Super Nero
http://i30.tinypic.com/bet203.jpg

Super Dante
http://i32.tinypic.com/2s8o3o1.jpg

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Credo did the same god damn thing Agni and Rudra did to me when I faced them. Only a sliver of health left and they managed to bring my health down and kill me. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
explosion.gif

MechaX

Bebpo said:
I can't believe people beat heaven or hell. 1-hit-death? hah.... ^^;

It's probably treated just as it was in DMC3: A cool down (Revenge) period after completing Dante Must Die.

Or in this case, Hell and Hell.

Danielsan said:
Holy crap Credo is one pretty tough dude. Anyone have any pointers?

As he slowly walks toward you fully charge your ex lamps. When he gets close enough, hit him with your devil bringer and jump over him when he tries to ram you. You'll be behind him so you can hit him with whatever combo you desire. I recommend the shuffle(I think that's the name) R1 + back and /\, then you can do a complete combo without him blocking.

Eventually he'll go nuts and be all over your face. From there I haven't gotten a decent strategy yet... just survive hitting him every now and then.

Danielsan

fistfulofmetal said:
As he slowly walks toward you fully charge your ex lamps. When he gets close enough, hit him with your devil bringer and jump over him when he tries to ram you. You'll be behind him so you can hit him with whatever combo you desire. I recommend the shuffle(I think that's the name) R1 + back and /\, then you can do a complete combo without him blocking.

Eventually he'll go nuts and be all over your face. From there I haven't gotten a decent strategy yet... just survive hitting him every now and then.
Thanks though I beat his ass like nobody's business right after my post. :D

Xater

I was playing all this time just to finally get to play Dante and now I think I like playing with Nero more. Kinda weird...

Zzoram

Shiver said:
Secret mission 3: How far do you need to raise the style gauge and how? Is it possible to grab and hold on to enemies or something to make them hurt each other?

I found 4 secret missions (I'm in lvl 5? I think I just beat it) but I could only beat the one where you knock those bladetops into rocks. I have no idea how to gain style without attacking, and I couldn't even kill all those enemies in the time limit for the first secret mission :lol

BojTrek

Banned
I played Assassin's Creed for two hours today... I did not like it at all... it felt like I was trying to move a slow character and my pushes seemed different to what was happening... I know that is a bad explanation, but the game felt sluggish...

I love Ninja Gaiden type games...

So, I returned NBA2K8, Pirates of the Carribbean: At Worlds End and Assassin's Creed... and picked up Devil May Cry 4 for an extra $4.99 with those trade-ins.

I played Level 1 an 2... AWESOMELY, BEAUTIFUL GAME... it looks better than the demo to me... or it is in my mind...

But the warping to the first test mission or extra mission... was great! The screen water-pooled and it looked sweet!

The first fire boss was really cool... warping to his head and kicking ass... NICE!

I saved it and have not started Level 3... very happy with the game so far... I have never played a DMC game... so Nero is cool for me...

Kyoufu

Shiver said:

Yes, use Aegis Shield and you should clear it. Only need to get to C style I think.

Theres a video of it here: http://www.stage6.com/user/denosi2007/video/2198999/[DMC4]-secretMission-3

MoonsaultSlayer said:
You need to be Dante to gain style without attacking apparently. It drove me crazy though haha.

You don't need to be Dante. Watch the video.

Zzoram said:
I found 4 secret missions (I'm in lvl 5? I think I just beat it) but I could only beat the one where you knock those bladetops into rocks. I have no idea how to gain style without attacking, and I couldn't even kill all those enemies in the time limit for the first secret mission :lol

You need to be Dante to gain style without attacking apparently. It drove me crazy though haha.

Drewsy

Banned
Damn, I'm stuck. Any help is greatly appreciated. I just got my Devil Trigger, went back up the shaft in the underground lab on those red things, and now I'm back in the goddamn castle.

Where in the world are you supposed to go?

Drewsy said:
Damn, I'm stuck. Any help is greatly appreciated. I just got my Devil Trigger, went back up the shaft in the underground lab on those red things, and now I'm back in the goddamn castle.

There is no need to backtrack after you get the Devil Trigger.

Keep pushing foward, you simply just overlooked a door. :lol

deepbrown

Drewsy said:

I just did exactly the same thing!!!! Bad level design right there. Where the fook is this door!?

Drewsy

Banned
Still lost, my 360 is going to burst into flames by the time I get through this level.

Goddamn! The gamefaq guide ends at mission 5! FUCK! :lol

deepbrown

Drewsy said:
Still lost, my 360 is going to burst into flames by the time I get through this level.
Where do we go!? I've done this level twice now and jumped up the same platforms as that's what I'm supposed to do...so where is the friggin door and why does it allow me to backtrack if I'm not supposed to...seems pointless and frustrating.

Tokubetsu

While I understand everyone's complaints about nero, especially versus Dante, I really hope this isn't the last time we see him. At the very least, I hope we have the option between the two for the entire game in DMC5 or something along those lines.

Top Bottom