• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Systems_id said:
Holy crap the story is absolutely terrible. I mean DMC1 and 3 weren't high art by any means but at least they were coherent.
I don't think it's terrible, it's not as deep sure but not terrible. It is DMC, remember that...

slade

Synless said:
Wait...am I missing something? Why in the hell can't Dante Juggle people in the air?? He just slams them down to the ground everytime......*sad*

Make sure you're in swordmaster mode and then make sure that you've leveled up the style. Until you're at level two of swordmaster, you won't be able to do any air combo's with Rebellion.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Synless said:
Wait...am I missing something? Why in the hell can't Dante Juggle people in the air?? He just slams them down to the ground everytime......*sad*

Swordmaster mode....

jett

D-Member
Synless said:

Switch to swordmaster + circle button

Synless said:
No, I made sure not to have that on.

Dante can only do an air multi-hit combo via swordmaster (O button, or B button).

pressing the main attack button with dante causes him to do a helm breaker, whcih is similar to nero's split.

Synless

C- Warrior said:
Dante can only do an air multi-hit combo via swordmaster (O button, or B button).

pressing the main attack button with dante causes him to do a helm breaker, whcih is similar to nero's split.
Ahhhh, that's right......it was like that in DMC3 too wasn't it? I completely forgot how to do it.

Kyouji said:

That looks so fun dude.

Yet I'm trudging through this easy as fuck devil hunter stuff.

CAPCOM, for DMC5, please have easy normal AND hard choosable from the outset.

Also, vergil, dmc3's weapons, and boss rush mode for DLC ftw.

I've never paid for DLC before, but I will for this game. DMC4 is organized very much for the hardcore, I mean, rankings, style, leaderboards, depth of gameplay, this is the kind of game where one new weapon will cause many to replay the entire game, because it's a different experience.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
~Devil Trigger~ said:
man

Dante was woopin my ass

when ever i heard him say "Royal Guard" i ran like a bitch

I don't know why, but I have a big smile on my face. Dante better be the sole character in DMC5 he is just too badass.

MechaX said:
At one point, I did the Buster too late and he did his Just Release on Nero.

Full health right down the drain, too.
:lol :lol

That's so awesome.

I wish Capcom had you fight Dante several times.

Because of all his styles, fans history with him in the previous games, the sounds, the moves, the potential for human A.I, Dante was the boss fight we would have no gripes fighting 3 or 4 times. Instead of the other ones, which are fun - sure.

But we wanted this ever since the Vergil playable announcement DMC3:SE

Answer this with a spoiler -- but, as Dante...do you ever get to fight against Nero?

Narag

MechaX said:
At one point, I did the Buster too late and he did his Just Release on Nero.

Full health right down the drain, too.

God willing there will be a vid or a gif of this soon.

C- Warrior said:
Answer this with a spoiler -- but, as Dante...do you ever get to fight against Nero?

No.

Wow the jump from Nero to Dante is huge, its a lot to take in and I am a DMC3 vet, imagine those that never played the game. I am still trying to wrap my head around style switching, whats the best way to do it and stuff. I am still in Nero control mode though, I keep hitting R2 to exceed but it just switches guns. :lol

I never used royal guard in DMC3, I am trying it now but dont get it much. So I just stand there and get beat up and something is supposed to absorb power. I don't know what I am doing with it.

Bebpo

Banned
I can't beat Berial on DMD. This is insane. He gives like no lead time in signaling attacks and I'm always stuck in slash animations and can't roll out in time. Then he does his explosion like every 5 seconds and half the time I can't get away in time. Plus I do almost no damage and probably have to hit him for 10 mins straight to win and meanwhile he kills me in 4 hits >_<

Fuckin -a capcom...

Stop putting those peice of shit AUTOMATIC ON function in your damn DMC games.

A) It's getting annoying telling people what it means (since the game makes no effort to describe the auto function at selection) and B) It's not fun. I don't know who thought making an action game where a mode does the combos for you is fun.

Tokubetsu

I admit i was just trying to see if i could s rank it and get the achievement but I just did Mission 01 again on Human mode. Beat dante in 25 seconds :lol

Vish

Banned
*sigh*

I made it to mission 19 and...this mission is way too fucking long. I'm at the plant chick and I let her clobber me because I got tired.

I read something about 'controlling the dice rolls' so can anyone tell me whats it about?

hteng

Banned
Bebpo said:
I can't beat Berial on DMD. This is insane. He gives like no lead time in signaling attacks and I'm always stuck in slash animations and can't roll out in time. Then he does his explosion like every 5 seconds and half the time I can't get away in time. Plus I do almost no damage and probably have to hit him for 10 mins straight to win and meanwhile he kills me in 4 hits >_<

hahaha, he's okay, just be a wuss and jump away whenever he moves, it takes a while to kill him but if you are careful enough you can chip him away. When you get to the dice game please tell me a good way to get through it lol

Bebpo

Banned
hteng said:
hahaha, he's okay, just be a wuss and jump away whenever he moves, it takes a while to kill him but if you are careful enough you can chip him away. When you get to the dice game please tell me a good way to get through it lol

Dude, I've been trying for almost 30 mins now. Probably 30+ retries. I can't even get him below 50% life.

If I roll or jump away when he moves for an attack, 1/4th the time his attack will hit me at the end of my roll or while I'm in the air jumping.

My biggest problem is that he keeps doing that explosion thing ALL THE TIME and half the time I jump away, jump away and it's not far enough and it hits me and does almost 50% DAMAGE IN 1 HIT.

I'm about to call it quits and go back to bloody palace and just stick to Son of Sparda replays.

*edit* final did it. WTF PURPLE MODE. I'm still done with DMD though. Stage was fine, but if all the bosses are like that, it's above my level.

Narag

Vish said:
*sigh*

I made it to mission 19 and...this mission is way too fucking long. I'm at the plant chick and I let her clobber me because I got tired.

I read something about 'controlling the dice rolls' so can anyone tell me whats it about?

hteng said:

Dice info again:
With the dice, hit it with the devil bringer whenever whatever # is up that you want. Count it out in advance as its the same rotation every time so if you want a 1, it won't appear again until every other face has been shown. It follows the same sequence regardless. Aim for yellow spots as they're shortcuts on the board.

RyuHayate

Hey everyone, I've been playing DMC4 all day (after I got home from school, that is) and I'm speechless about how much joy it brings to me, but I've just experienced the biggest fucking headache of my life playing a DMC title. The culprit? Backtracking.

After the Agnus fight, I activated that switch that closes the floodgates above the waterfall and connects the bridge beneath it. Holy shit, it took me, and I kid you not, twenty minutes to find the courtyard. There are so many rooms in that castle and I think the game is expecting a bit much from the player to revisit a place they weren't near for a significantly long time.

Otherwise, it's still proving to be everything I could've asked for. :D

hteng

Banned
Bebpo said:
Dude, I've been trying for almost 30 mins now. Probably 30+ retries. I can't even get him below 50% life.

If I roll or jump away when he moves for an attack, 1/4th the time his attack will hit me at the end of my roll or while I'm in the air jumping.

My biggest problem is that he keeps doing that explosion thing ALL THE TIME and half the time I jump away, jump away and it's not far enough and it hits me and does almost 50% DAMAGE IN 1 HIT.

I'm about to call it quits and go back to bloody palace and just stick to Son of Sparda replays.

hmm somehow i don't recall him doing his explosion that often, maybe i was lucky :/ does floating in mid air avoid his explosion? coz thats what i usually do and i could read his explosion move early on or maybe you can grab his head to interupt the move (i've not tried that before honestly lol)

MechaX

Bebpo said:
*edit* final did it. WTF PURPLE MODE. I'm still done with DMD though. Stage was fine, but if all the bosses are like that, it's above my level.

... Purple mode..

... Bosses can DT NOW?! (Outside of the Sparda siblings, of course)

DMD mode just got a lot more desirable. Plus, I don't think my controller will go airborne as much when considering outside hearsay about enemies not having boss-sized lifebars (Really hurt DMC3's case when fighting Enigmas, Dullahans, and Soul Eaters).

hteng

Banned
MechaX said:
... Purple mode..

... Bosses can DT NOW?! (Outside of the Sparda siblings, of course)

DMD mode just got a lot more desirable. Plus, I don't think my controller will go airborne as much when considering outside hearsay about enemies not having boss-sized lifebars (Really hurt DMC3's case when fighting Enigmas, Dullahans, and Soul Eaters).

yea bosses will DT after a time period, imo the hardest thing about the game in DMD are not the bosses because (you can have countless continues) but the fucking dice game.

Bebpo

Banned
hteng said:
hmm somehow i don't recall him doing his explosion that often, maybe i was lucky :/ does floating in mid air avoid his explosion? coz thats what i usually do and i could read his explosion move early on or maybe you can grab his head to interupt the move (i've not tried that before honestly lol)

I had to stay on the ground the whole fight and jump back whenever he twitched (still wouldn't dodge fast enough for the uppercut usually or the HI I'M GOING TO GET MAD AND BURST INSTANTLY INTO FLAMES [not explosion attack] WITHOUT ANY WARNING AND DO 30% DAMAGE TO YOUR HP). If I tried to play airborne with snatchs he get me a lot of the time with his sword attacks or uppercut even if I air hiked back when he started moving. Also I kept my distance sometimes as I think that's the trick. If you stay back he'll do the leaping attack and that's easy to dodge and then you can get some hits in.

I finally got his flames off when he was < 25% life and did DT air-buster -> slashes -> ground buster to finish him.

hteng said:
yea bosses will DT after a time period, imo the hardest thing about the game in DMD are not the bosses because (you can have countless continues) but the fucking dice game.

Skip the bosses on the dice game. You can choose what number you want to get.

hteng

Banned
Bebpo said:
I had to stay on the ground the whole fight and jump back whenever he twitched (still wouldn't dodge fast enough for the uppercut usually or the HI I'M GOING TO GET MAD AND BURST INSTANTLY INTO FLAMES [not explosion attack] WITHOUT ANY WARNING AND DO 30% DAMAGE TO YOUR HP). If I tried to play airborne with snatchs he get me a lot of the time with his sword attacks or uppercut even if I air hiked back when he started moving. Also I kept my distance sometimes as I think that's the trick. If you stay back he'll do the leaping attack and that's easy to dodge and then you can get some hits in.

I finally got his flames off when he was < 25% life and did DT air-buster -> slashes -> ground buster to finish him.

Skip the bosses on the dice game. You can choose what number you want to get.

how do i choose the number i desire ? there's a pattern to it?

hitmon

RyuHayate said:
Hey everyone, I've been playing DMC4 all day (after I got home from school, that is) and I'm speechless about how much joy it brings to me, but I've just experienced the biggest fucking headache of my life playing a DMC title. The culprit? Backtracking.

After the Agnus fight, I activated that switch that closes the floodgates above the waterfall and connects the bridge beneath it. Holy shit, it took me, and I kid you not, twenty minutes to find the courtyard. There are so many rooms in that castle that the game it seems like a bit much for players to revisit a place they weren't near for a significantly long time.

I agree, I ended up going back to the mines, before figuring out I was going the wrong way. I guess I have no sense of direction...

Bebpo said:

Do you see yourself ever getting the "S rank all missions in DMD" accomplishment or beating Hell and Hell mode. (which is basically harder than DMD, and you die in one hit :lol :lol )

Bebpo

Banned
hteng said:
how do i choose the number i desire ? there's a pattern to it?

Yeah. :)

Hit the dice with buster and whatever number is on top is what you get. The pattern/cycle the numbers appear in is always the same. So look for the number before the one you want, then when it shows up hit it on the next one.

Sectus

PF666: Omen is definitely the most badass move in the entire game.

Dante slams the briefcase to the ground, opens it and a bright flash damages all nearby enemies. What makes it more badass is that the split second spent on slamming the briefcase onto the ground counts as its own attack. Actually managing to kill an enemy by slapping them with the briefcase is even more awesome than blowing them up with the laser cannon.

NameGenerated

Bebpo said:

Hit the dice with buster and whatever number is on top is what you get. The pattern/cycle the numbers appear in is always the same. So look for the number before the one you want, then when it shows up hit it on the next one.
Oh really, haha I just hit with a streak everytime...it was still easy. Plus I got a lot of red orbs.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
does beating SoS mode give you super dante? I dont think ill be able to finish DMD Mode but i really want infinite dt :(

Bebpo

Banned
Tiduz said:
does beating SoS mode give you super dante? I dont think ill be able to finish DMD Mode but i really want infinite dt :(

Nope.

C- Warrior said:
Do you see yourself ever getting the "S rank all missions in DMD" accomplishment or beating Hell and Hell mode. (which is basically harder than DMD, and you die in one hit :lol :lol )

Uh, I'm no vetern DMC player or even game player in general. I'd like to consider myself as a decent gamer, but nothing more. I never did DMD on the other DMCs. I only did normal/hard on DMC3.

The only reason I tried DMD here was because DMC4's modes in general are easier than DMC3's modes. But I'm guessing DMD here is about the same as DMD on DMC3.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm curious how the hell people have all achievements already because of the "get one million proud souls" achievement.

At 23 hours I just hit the "get 100k proud souls" achievement. I usually get like 3-4k per level.

hteng

Banned
Bebpo said:

wow it does work, sweet thanks

my plan in DMD:
buy a fuckton of holy waters, avoid fights as much as possible

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Capcom only just shipped my CE (plus bonus), and I can't be arsed to play either of the demos.

What's the consensus?

DMC4 > DMC3 > DMC 1 > DMC2?

or

DM3 still > *?

NameGenerated

Mejilan said:
Capcom only just shipped my CE (plus bonus), and I can't be arsed to play either of the demos.

What's the consensus?

DMC4 > DMC3 > DMC 1 > DMC2?

or

DM3 still > *?
For the best in the series?

I'd say you're list is right. Only because DMC3 got so hard that it wasn't fun anymore.

RyuHayate said:

After the Agnus fight, I activated that switch that closes the floodgates above the waterfall and connects the bridge beneath it. Holy shit, it took me, and I kid you not, twenty minutes to find the courtyard. There are so many rooms in that castle and I think the game is expecting a bit much from the player to revisit a place they weren't near for a significantly long time.

I had the exact same problem at the place you mentioned. But you know it's totally my fault for not watching the cut scene carefully. You see the bridge go down during the cut scene and in that scene there is an obvious landmark that you are supposed to spot. That pole with a big pink ball on top.

The second time I played it I felt silly because I don't know how they could have made it more obvious without beating you over the head. Yet still, I think a lot of gamers are going to miss it. Because we a trained not just to think of cutscenes as eye candy and don't pay close attention to details.

Maggot9

Banned
Got a Collector's Edition today, been playing most of the day. Think I'm on mission 8 or 9. Beat
Credo
on my first try, though I did have to use like 4 Small Revival Stars. Really good game so far, now off to play more!

Top Bottom