• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
WTF is up with Dante side of the Jungle?
the 3 paths, none are working. Im trying to read the fuck instruction but is too danm bright, cant see the words

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, I'm some very weak sauce. I can't figure out what the hell they want me to do.

Mission 3 spoiler:
I grapple over to a balcony, then two grapple points appear. I grapple to one of them, then there are two in front of me, one is moving. I assume I'm supposed to wait until the moving one is in front of the platform, so I wait, lock, grapple, then grapple to the second one. THen I fall into THE PIT and have to fight 8 guys. I go back up, try again, and the only time I get past the moving grapple part is if I impale myself on the ceiling and just happen to land on the balcony. Then there are three grapple points, blinking off and on. I wait for the sequence, grapple the first, grapple the second, and it doesn't disappear, but my guy again falls into THE PIT. I have no idea what they want me to do. Is it timing? Am I supposed to by stick-locking onto other targets? Do I have to hold the grapple button down as well as lock on when grappling?

Goddamn I'm frustrated.

Narag

~Devil Trigger~ said:
WTF is up with Dante side of the Jungle?
the 3 paths, none are working. Im trying to read the fuck instruction but is too danm bright, cant see the words

Check this.

FlyinJ said:
Ok, I'm some very weak sauce. I can't figure out what the hell they want me to do.

Mission 3 spoiler:
I grapple over to a balcony, then two grapple points appear. I grapple to one of them, then there are two in front of me, one is moving. I assume I'm supposed to wait until the moving one is in front of the platform, so I wait, lock, grapple, then grapple to the second one. THen I fall into THE PIT and have to fight 8 guys. I go back up, try again, and the only time I get past the moving grapple part is if I impale myself on the ceiling and just happen to land on the balcony. Then there are three grapple points, blinking off and on. I wait for the sequence, grapple the first, grapple the second, and it doesn't disappear, but my guy again falls into THE PIT. I have no idea what they want me to do. Is it timing? Am I supposed to by stick-locking onto other targets? Do I have to hold the grapple button down as well as lock on when grappling?

Goddamn I'm frustrated.

Listen for the tone that plays and grapple again when it does.
I was stuck there for half an hour myself.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Narag said:
Listen for the tone that plays and grapple again when it does.
I was stuck there for half an hour myself.

Tone that plays? Should I wait for the tone before starting the first grapple? Do I hold lockon down the whole time, then wait to hear another tone to hit grapple again? I don't really understand

Narag

FlyinJ said:
Tone that plays? Should I wait for the tone before starting the first grapple? Do I hold lockon down the whole time, then wait to hear another tone to hit grapple again? I don't really understand

If I remember right, you'll lockon, hear a tone, grapple, then grapple again each time the tone plays. I can pop it on to come with up with a more clear answer if needed

badcrumble said:
Oh my god
Dante shot Echidna and she fucking exploded for no reason

YES :lol :lol

But what got me *late game spoiler
Dante slicing a building in half with Yamato, from about a mile away. A BUILDING. IN HALF. A MILE AWAY

Narag

~Devil Trigger~ said:
wow, Capcom failed the SD test again...

The instructions weren't particularly clear to begin with.
The mistress of this forest is preventing your passage. Find her and kill her.
or something equally stupid.

Darkpen

Banned
I just finished, and oh my god that was hard :(

Such annoying bosses, and HOW the hell was I supposed to figure out that you're supposed to use your
devilbringer against his SWINGING arm???

Also: omfg Gloria is wearing NOTHING down there o_o

o_o

omg wow

Also, my collector's tin had a broken manual clip thingy inside :( I asked for an exchange at the store, and the exchanged copy ALSO had a broken manual clip, so I was like fuck it.

:(

Was this the case for anyone else here?

Darkpen said:
I just finished, and oh my god that was hard :(

Such annoying bosses, and HOW the hell was I supposed to figure out that you're supposed to use your devilbringer against his SWINGING arm???

Also: omfg Gloria is wearing NOTHING down there o_o

o_o

omg wow

Also, my collector's tin had a broken manual clip thingy inside :( I asked for an exchange at the story, and the exchanged copy ALSO had a broken manual clip, so I was like fuck it.

:(

Was this the case for anyone else here?
Yeah, me too. The paint on my case is scratched and the manual is ripped too. :\

Darkpen

Banned
Narag said:
The instructions weren't particularly clear to begin with.
The mistress of this forest is preventing your passage. Find her and kill her.
or something equally stupid.
if anything, that part of the game was some serious RPG bullshit puzzle right there, lol.

I mean, seriously, I would be less surprised if they made DMC4 a JRPG, and had that same puzzle (as well as the dice bullshit)

Darkpen, I think they tried to stuff too much shit into the CE, causing some of the clips to snap. Mine was okay but as soon as I opened it I took out the bonus DVD case to give everything some more room.

Narag

Darkpen said:
if anything, that part of the game was some serious RPG bullshit puzzle right there, lol.

I mean, seriously, I would be less surprised if they made DMC4 an JRPG, and had that same puzzle (as well as the dice bullshit)

Hardly. After figuring out the first half, the second has been repeated already. The dice game is entirely abusable too. The problem with the first part, as much as it pains me to say, was the fixed camera angles. There's only a finite set of paths to be taken there.

Guess I'm one of the few who weren't bothered by the dice parts. I got past them relatively quickly and actually somewhat enjoyed the second part 0_o

Darkpen

Banned
so I guess I'll might as well link this, though I'm sure you guys see it in the thread list:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9670718

brandonh83 said:
Guess I'm one of the few who weren't bothered by the dice parts. I got past them relatively quickly and actually somewhat enjoyed the second part 0_o
were you playing human or demon hunter?
fighting the bosses a third time was annoying, especially the toad and the stuttering guy.

Speaking of annoying bosses, was
Dante
a bitch to kill or what :( I mean, really.

Narag

Yeah they're easy if you know what they were doing. I guess I should count myself lucky I figured out the trick first thing.

Synless

Finally beat it, I have to say I love this series, it's crazy and this one didn't disappoint. WTF at that retarded dice game, someone needs to shoot the stupid asshole who came up with that idea.

Darkpen said:
were you playing human or demon hunter?
fighting the bosses a third time was annoying, especially the toad and the stuttering guy.

Devil Hunter... and I dunno, I really like the bosses in this game so I didn't have a problem with fighting them again.

Darkpen

Banned
kiryogi said:
Anyone know if L'arc en Ciel's "Drink it Down" is in the domestic version of DMC4?
nope, no where, thank GOD

jrock in my dmc? No thanks. It was one thing with Gackt in Dirge, but really? no thanks.

Defuser

Bebpo said:
Dude, I've been trying for almost 30 mins now. Probably 30+ retries. I can't even get him below 50% life.

If I roll or jump away when he moves for an attack, 1/4th the time his attack will hit me at the end of my roll or while I'm in the air jumping.

My biggest problem is that he keeps doing that explosion thing ALL THE TIME and half the time I jump away, jump away and it's not far enough and it hits me and does almost 50% DAMAGE IN 1 HIT.

I'm about to call it quits and go back to bloody palace and just stick to Son of Sparda replays.

*edit* final did it. WTF PURPLE MODE. I'm still done with DMD though. Stage was fine, but if all the bosses are like that, it's above my level.
At least you have fun :D, if only you have dante and his pandora box in mission 2.....

Kittonwy

Banned
DarkAngelYuna said:
No matter how hard I try I can rarely get IR to work =[

Don't try, just let it flow, you'll get the rhythm naturally.
Indifferent2.gif

Darkpen

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif
I wish someone would make a tutorial for IR :( Seriously, I don't even bother with it unless I'm on a time limit, and even then I just spazz it.

Narag

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

Listen to this. A nice place to practice is the torture chamber as stuff respawns when you fall back in. Nero is extremely satisfying once you start nailing the revving, even moreso with the max rev.

Darkpen said:
I wish someone would make a tutorial for IR :( Seriously, I don't even bother with it unless I'm on a time limit, and even then I just spazz it.

Here.

Darkpen

Banned
Narag said:
I mean, like a video, with synced controller footage/gamefootage PIP editing and decent video quality, with a narrator and segments for beginnner, intermediate, and advanced techniques.

Even some suggestions for button remapping.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn this game is so awesome. I'm still not far, but I had a blast on stage 4. It took me a few tries, but when I finally took down that
frog boss
the feeling of accomplishment was immense. I really like how this game forces you to get better and better at it yet still remains a challenge. I went back to the 2nd level after beating stage 4 to farm some orbs and I was able to totally destroy everything and kill Belias almost without getting hurt.

I need to go back and give DMC3 (SE next time) another chance after I finish this game.

BlacKMaRK

Banned
Toonami 99 said:
Is it just me or has the timing to rev streak changed since the demo. I find it harder to get it, than the ex-streak.
ive noticed that too.

btw can anyone help me out, i just bought the move that lets you streak in the air(forgot the name=/) but i can seem to pull it off. any help?

Kyoufu

BlacKMaRK said:
ive noticed that too.

btw can anyone help me out, i just bought the move that lets you streak in the air(forgot the name=/) but i can seem to pull it off. any help?

You mean back, forward, melee in the air?

Desi

Why Proud Souls? Wish I could just use Red Orbs for everything. The text style in a lot of the menus look really bland, what is up with that.

Darkpen

Banned
Desi said:
Why Proud Souls? Wish I could just use Red Orbs for everything. The text style in a lot of the menus look really bland, what is up with that.
eh, dmc3 looked about the same. I mean, considering that DMC was an RE spinoff, I'd say its come a long way D:

Dahbomb said:
BTW I don't want to start any major arguments so I am going to say this as precisely as possible.

DMC4 makes Heavenly Sword look like the mediocre action game it really is. Even just with Nero's aspect of the combat. I can't believe I thought that game was like a solid action game once...

Agreed. The combat in DMC4 is truly amazing, but I have too admit that the story and art of HS are way better. Art as well.

*runs*

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
alright, i'm liking this much better having just finished level 7 -- the early levels and evilore's impressions had me really worried. the balance has thankfully shifted away from traversal and towards combat -- which combat gets more enjoyable as stronger enemies appear. and the bosses are getting closer to dmc3 quality. the
credo
fight in particular was excellent -- took me a few tries to develop an efficient strategy, and then it was really satisfying to put him down with close to a full life bar. i've been playing without continues or recovery items, which helps give it that dmc3 feel.

i didn't notice much slowdown in the forest, btw -- 360 version here. maybe that's another version difference, or maybe i'm just not as framerate sensitive as other players

BlacKMaRK said:
ive noticed that too.

i find it easier to do if i throw in a couple gunshots first...it is a bit touchy

ElyrionX

drohne said:
alright, i'm liking this much better having just finished level 7 -- the early levels and evilore's impressions had me really worried. the balance has thankfully shifted away from traversal and towards combat -- which combat gets more enjoyable as stronger enemies appear. and the bosses are getting closer to dmc3 quality. the
credo
fight in particular was excellent -- took me a few tries to develop an efficient strategy, and then it was really satisfying to put him down with close to a full life bar. i've been playing without continues or recovery items, which helps give it that dmc3 feel.

i didn't notice much slowdown in the forest, btw -- 360 version here. maybe that's another version difference, or maybe i'm just not as framerate sensitive as other players

i find it easier to do if i throw in a couple gunshots first...it is a bit touchy

Not really. Wait till you get to Dante.

Also, I didn't notice any slowdown at the forest area until I got there with Dante.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Darkpen said:
nope, no where, thank GOD

jrock in my dmc? No thanks. It was one thing with Gackt in Dirge, but really? no thanks.

They took it out? Wow, glad I have the JP version. The L'arc song fits the game sooo well.

I'm just about to start Mission 13 tonight. I thought I'd be be relieved to have Dante back, but the more I use him, the more I miss the Devil Bringer. I really loved the dimension the Buster and Grim Grasp added to fights. I also found it hugely satisfying to use the custom grabs on bosses. :p

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Despite how I felt about the game on my Devil Hunter run, I'm already itching to start SoS. Maybe because I know the puzzle/platforming and frequently getting lost crap won't bother me nearly as much on another playthrough (since I know exactly where to go and what to do) and I'm itching for some real hardcore DMC3 style challenge. Oh, and skipping the cutscenes will probably improve matters.

KYYYYYYYYYRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
EviLore said:
Despite how I felt about the game on my Devil Hunter run, I'm already itching to start SoS. Maybe because I know the puzzle/platforming and frequently getting lost crap won't bother me nearly as much on another playthrough (since I know exactly where to go and what to do) and I'm itching for some real hardcore DMC3 style challenge. Oh, and skipping the cutscenes will probably improve matters.

KYYYYYYYYYRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see nothing wrong with inserting a genuine character like Nero into the story. It's not Bill Shakespeare, but it's not certainly not SHIT.

I dunno, don't think I'll ever understand why people hate emo characters so much.

Teknoman

Wow the forest level actually seems more like a jungle. We're probably going to see alot of the stuff used in those missions in RE5. The whole dynamic weather thing (really a nice touch both in and outside the boss battle). Also this game finally made me realize that games have taken a decent stride towards making a realistically bright environment.

Though the boss's entrance could've been abit better compared to the last two demons.

Also i've always wondered where the term emo short for emotional? Isnt every single person on earth emo then? Also I really dont think Nero counts as emo in the standard sense of the word.

kiryogi

Banned
thetrin said:
They took it out? Wow, glad I have the JP version. The L'arc song fits the game sooo well.

I'm just about to start Mission 13 tonight. I thought I'd be be relieved to have Dante back, but the more I use him, the more I miss the Devil Bringer. I really loved the dimension the Buster and Grim Grasp added to fights. I also found it hugely satisfying to use the custom grabs on bosses. :p

Trin: When is it used in the JP ver?

Darkpen

Banned
thetrin said:
Eww, where did they put that song in the JP version? ED credits, or lyrics-less bgm during cutscenes/combat? Or lyrics bgm during combat? Or what?

Oh gawd, yeah, I was TOTALLY missing the devil bringer when I got a hold of dante. I have to admit that I love trying to pull off the custom animations w/ devil trigger on and using buster.

Its stuff like that that makes me rethink about GoW's contribution to the action scene, with Ninja Gaiden 2 doing some funky stuff, Assassin's Creed's counter animations, as well as DMC4's custom buster animations. Sure, they're not doing QTEs (thank god), but the custom animation stuff would've never happened otherwise, I think.

Which reminds me, how many people noticed that there's a special camera sequence in mission 20 for when you
use buster on the first boss fight (old man w/ sparda sword) when he has one bar of health left
?

thetrin

Darkpen said:
Eww, where did they put that song in the JP version? ED credits, or lyrics-less bgm during cutscenes/combat? Or lyrics bgm during combat? Or what?

The L'arc song shows up in the opening attract screen movie. I haven't seen it anywhere else, yet (I'm on mission 13...so I dunno about the end)

Btw, did anyone else really like the "follow the light" puzzle in the forest? I thought it was an effective use of next gen effects, and the hints were subtle enough that it took me a second to realize where the light was.

Darkpen

Banned
thetrin said:
I see nothing wrong with inserting a genuine character like Nero into the story. It's not Bill Shakespeare, but it's not certainly not SHIT.

I dunno, don't think I'll ever understand why people hate emo characters so much.
Hating emos is a cultural fad, just like how complaining about Cloud and Squall "whining" is such a throwaway comment.

As for Nero, he has as much significance as any other character, but if there's anything that's terrible about the cutscenes, its the awkward dialogue, lol. I don't know if its just me, but sometimes what they say don't really match up with the scene, or make any real english-speaking sense (i.e. the
theater cutscene with agnus and dante
, though that might be something entirely different). But awkwardness aside, when the cheesy one-liners start pouring in, I can't help but smile.

Danielsan

I'm at mission 13 but my concensus thusfar is DMC1>DMC3>DMC4.
DMC1 remains number 1 for me due to the shit ton of atmosphere, music, badass Dante, fantastic enemies and bosses. DMC3 is close behind with it's amazing boss battles, fantastic deep gameplay and genuine interesting and well told story.

DMC4 is like a mix of both yet it doesn't quite manage to hit the highpoints of the other games. The story is a big chaotic mess. The leveldesign is pretty but often anyoing and nowhere near DMC1. The bosses are great but again I'd give DMC1 and especially DMC3 the upperhand. The enemies look fantastic but there are a lot of annoying enemies among them, it's definitely better than DMC3 in that regard though.

Top Bottom