• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Chao

Holy Order Sol said:
Is it just me or does Dante's face look a bit like Snake ?
Must be the beard.

He looks more like:

pg42rf-tom-cruise.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Maggot9 said:
worst fucking shadows ever. fuck.
Hardly. They may appear ultra pixelated at times, but everything properly casts them. That is demanding (especially in a 60 fps game). The fact that characters, objects, and world geometry can all cast realtime shadows from dynamic light sources is pretty cool. I'm positive that the lower resolution of many shadows are simply the result of high bandwidth requirements in order to achieve 60 fps.

Maggot9

Banned
dark10x said:
Hardly. They may appear ultra pixelated at times, but everything properly casts them. That is demanding (especially in a 60 fps game). The fact that characters, objects, and world geometry can all cast realtime shadows from dynamic light sources is pretty cool. I'm positive that the lower resolution of many shadows are simply the result of high bandwidth requirements in order to achieve 60 fps.

It doesn't mean anything if they look like shit. I mean Uncharted has infinitely better lighting and shadows, and even though it doesn't run 60fps, the engine is probably on par with DMC4 in terms of being taxing on the PS3. I'm guessing you have seen the shadows cast in the forest level in DMC4. They look ABYSMAL. No reason to have such shitty looking shadows.

burgerdog

Reno said:
One good solution:
When he charges at you, make sure you got your Devil Trigger activated and use your Buster. Don't know if it's necessary or if it's just my mind (just in my mind!) but when he charges at you, use your Buster to nail him. He'll charge at you a bunch of times so you got plenty of chances to hit him with it. Kinda like Bald Bull in Punch-Out!:lol

Thrakier: Yes, after you finish Devil Hunter, you can watch it again (this goes for the 360 version as well)

I got it shortly after posting that >.> Thanks though!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Maggot9 said:
It doesn't mean anything if they look like shit. I mean Uncharted has infinitely better lighting and shadows, and even though it doesn't run 60fps, the engine is probably on par with DMC4 in terms of being taxing on the PS3. I'm guessing you have seen the shadows cast in the forest level in DMC4. They look ABYSMAL. No reason to have such shitty looking shadows.
...but there IS reason to have such shadows. It's a shame they look so poor, but the only other real option would have been pre-baked shadows (which may or may not have looked worse depending on your point of view). They wanted the light to interact with the onscreen objects.

Uncharted is one of the finest examples of realtime shadows on consoles, though. You can't expect everyone to match that (especially at 60 fps).

It's not even that bad...

928376_20071102_screen042.jpg

I mean, if you took away those shadows, the atmosphere would feel very different. The tree shadows are worst case as well. The shadows often look quite a bit sharper.

Kyoufu

All puzzles in this game can die in a fiery hell.

The two that really pissed me off are:

1. The Grim Grip orbs with the spiky ceiling.

2. The disappearing platforms in the forest.

Aside from that, loving it so far. The golden statue music is the best thing to enter my earlobes.

Dizzle24

Question about Pandora....

Are there any hidden forms for it that anyone has found?

Also, how do you perform the "boomerang" throw with it, and the "Omen" move, where Dante kicks open the box and does massive damage!??

PS3 version.

Thanks.

Defuser

Dizzle24 said:
Question about Pandora....

Are there any hidden forms for it that anyone has found?

Also, how do you perform the "boomerang" throw with it, and the "Omen" move, where Dante kicks open the box and does massive damage!??

PS3 version.

Thanks.
Gunslinger style,just check yoru skill list when you pause the game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The battle music is so loltastic, I was singing it yesterday

Just imagine the guy singing it

NOW I KNOW HOW THE ANGEL FELT *evil smirk*

TIME HAS COME AND SO HAVE I
I LAUGH LAST CAUSE YOU CAME TO DIE
THE DAMAGE DONE THE PAIN SUBSIDES
AND I CAN SEE THE FEAR CLEAR WHEN I LOOK IN YOUR EYE

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Darkpen said:
did we ever find out WHO Nero is? I mean, he's
related to Sparda, and has similarities to Vergil (and while this is totally my own opinion, Johnny Bosch made him sound like a variant on Vergil's VA)
. I mean, really, is he
Dante's nephew or something, or what the fuck?

Well, there's that one "keep it in the family" Dante line re the Yamato so there must be some relationship there. I'm still hoping Nero's a Vergil reincarnation cause I miss him.
*holds out for DMC 5*

Defuser

Y2Kev said:
The battle music is so loltastic, I was singing it yesterday

Just imagine the guy singing it

The time has come and so have I
I laugh cause you came to die
The damage done and the pain subsides
And I can see the fear clear when I look in your eye
I never kneel and I'll never rest
You can tear the heart from my chest
I'll make you see what I do best
I'll succeed as you breathe your very last breath
Now I know how the angel fell
I know the tale and I know it too well
I make you wishing you have a soul to sell
When I strike you down and damn you straight to hell
My army comes from deep within
Beneath my soul beneath my skin
As you're ending,I'm about to begin
My strength is pain and I will never begin
I'll tell you now I'm the one to survive
You never break my faith or my stride
I hope you choke on our own demise
I make the angels scream and the Devil Cry!!!

It's up right there with Divine Hate. It maybe lol but it's fucking awesome song to remember because it's catchy!!!

Y2Kev said:

:lol Come with me, we'll STAND and fight togettheerrr~~~

Anyway I can't believe people are complaining about Dante in this game, I thought he had the best PRESENCE in this one, even though you do not play as him through the whole game. Every cutscene with him was fuckin' badass and he had some awesome(?) dialogue.

Help.

I just beat that doctor guy and got my demon form, where do I go now? "Return to headquarters”? Do I backtrack out of the castle?

brandonh83 said:
:lol Come with me, we'll STAND and fight togettheerrr~~~

Anyway I can't believe people are complaining about Dante in this game, I thought he had the best PRESENCE in this one, even though you do not play as him through the whole game. Every cutscene with him was fuckin' badass and he had some awesome(?) dialogue.

After Dante's Berial fight:___________________________________First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle..! It penetrates! Until…! With great strength…! I… ram it in! In the end… We are all satisfied… and you are set free…!

Amon37

I thought this game was suppossed to have 5.1 Lossless audio on the PS3 version. Mine receiver is showing Dolby Digital? Anyone getting lossless audio?

Dave1988

CosmicGroinPull said:
After Dante's Berial fight:___________________________________First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle..! It penetrates! Until…! With great strength…! I… ram it in! In the end… We are all satisfied… and you are set free…!

It clearly shows how much Dante cares about the whole affair :lol

CosmicGroinPull said:

The Mexican/Spanish music made it that much better :lol

Debating whether or not I should pick up my own copy of this or just play my friend's. Is there a lot of replay-ability after the first play through?

I started a game with his copy earlier, made it to Mission 6 and loved it.

ILOVEASIANS said:
Debating whether or not I should pick up my own copy of this or just play my friend's. Is there a lot of replay-ability after the first play through?

This game has more replay value than Jessica Alba.

...that's not to say I would pick DMC4 over her...

Kyoufu

ILOVEASIANS said:

There is as much replay-value as you want to have. Beating the game on the first run, then moving up to higher difficulties and mastering combos with both Nero and Dante. Dante alone warrants the 60 dollars this game costs.

So can anyone tell me if I need to buy "Enemy Step" for Jump-Cancels? It costs a fair amount of of Proud Souls :/

Defuser

ILOVEASIANS said:

If you beat Devil Hunter,you will unlock Son of Sparda mode which is higher difficulty and bloody palace,a mode where you fight enemies on each level and there's 100 levels,every 20 level consist of a boss.

Beat Son of sparda will unlock Dante must die mode where enemies DT after a few seconds, enemies with DT = bad = very big health + deals big damage + rarely flinch.

Beating DMD mode will unlock Heaven or Hell mode where everything including you dies in one hit.

Beating Heaven or Hell mode unlocks Hell or Hell mode where you die in one hit but enemies don't + you have to score a SSS style to kill them.

oh and some artwork and costumes.....so yeah...tons of replayability

BojTrek

Banned
I love this game so far... the graphics are outstanding... I have the X-Box 360 version and running on my 40" Sony BRAVIA XBR KDL-40XBR4 is UNREAL!

Walking to the castle along the long bridge in Level 3 or 4... where the chick beats up some bean-bag enemies... is breathtaking, I could not believe how cool it was as the castle in the background came into focus... it was huge!

Anyways... fighting those two blues chicks was amazing... they were munching on each other sexually and than this big angler fish pops up... actually startled me...

Funny... good stuff...

And were they trying to show that chicks body off on the bridge as she fought the bean bag guys...

It is quite a cock-tease... hot chick, half naked, no panties, barely covered box... beating up on bean bags... Good Job CAPCOM!

LowParry

BojTrek said:
I love this game so far... the graphics are outstanding... I have the X-Box 360 version and running on my 40" Sony BRAVIA XBR KDL-40XBR4 is UNREAL!

Walking to the castle along the long bridge in Level 3 or 4... where the chick beats up some bean-bag enemies... is breathtaking, I could not believe how cool it was as the castle in the background came into focus... it was huge!

Anyways... fighting those two blues chicks was amazing... they were munching on each other sexually and than this big angler fish pops up... actually startled me...

Funny... good stuff...

And were they trying to show that chicks body off on the bridge as she fought the bean bag guys...

It is quite a cock-tease... hot chick, half naked, no panties, barely covered box... beating up on bean bags... Good Job CAPCOM!

There's just something odd about this post. I can't quite place it.

DustinC

Defuser said:
Beating Heaven or Hell mode unlocks Hell or Hell mode where you die in one hit but enemies don't + you have to score a SSS style to kill them.

There's a SSS rank? Dammit, I was pretty pleased with finally getting SS kills last night.

Maggot9

Banned
dont know if this has been mentioned, but if you bought Speed, when you're in the running state you can press select and drop kick mofo's in the face

ggp759

Banned
Does the PS3 version include LPCM audio? I have the UK CE and cannot find the setting for that anywhere. What about the American or the Japanese one?

Baker

Banned
Defuser said:
Beating DMD mode will unlock Heaven or Hell mode where everything including you dies in one hit.

I'm sure it's in this thread somewhere, but does that apply to bosses too?

Tiduz

Eurogaime
did anyone finish Bloody Palace? What reward do you get? 101 levels and you get nothing would be pretty shitty :p

Thrakier

Does "Devil Hunter" equal a normal difficulty? Can I do it as a non pro-gamer, average guy? I don't want it to be a cakewalk but I also don't want to be frustrated.

Top Bottom