• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I kinda liked Nero's disposition, because he was like "wannabe" Dante, but endearingly so. My favorite line by him is still "You got a jacked up sense of fair play, mister, and it's starting to PISS ME OFF!"

Darkpen

Banned
thetrin said:
The L'arc song shows up in the opening attract screen movie. I haven't seen it anywhere else, yet (I'm on mission 13...so I dunno about the end)

Btw, did anyone else really like the "follow the light" puzzle in the forest? I thought it was an effective use of next gen effects, and the hints were subtle enough that it took me a second to realize where the light was.
yeah, I'm not surprised about the opening video having the song, but I'm curious as to where they put it in the game itself.

I figured out the light puzzle on accident, purely by randomly walking through the passages actually :lol

But for when I got to Dante, I figured it out pretty quickly and made me think "oh, that's clever"

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm at work right now trying to avoid paperwork. I really really want to go home and play DMC4. :(

Darkpen

Banned
thetrin said:
I kinda liked Nero's disposition, because he was like "wannabe" Dante, but endearingly so. My favorite line by him is still "You got a jacked up sense of fair play, mister, and it's starting to PISS ME OFF!"
actually, he reminded me more of a miniature/innocent Vergil, with Dante's attitude, but with Lady's seriousness.

Basically, he's a culmination of DMC3 D:

did we ever find out WHO Nero is? I mean, he's
related to Sparda, and has similarities to Vergil (and while this is totally my own opinion, Johnny Bosch made him sound like a variant on Vergil's VA)
. I mean, really, is he
Dante's nephew or something, or what the fuck?

Loving Dante's missions so far but they are going by so fast. I don't want it to end, I find myself replaying missions a lot with Dante. Just got pandora, what the... weird gun. The backtracking does hurt, there is nothing new at all, you just fight the exact same bosses but now they are a lot easier, shouldn't bosses be getting harder as the game goes on.

Oh and screw you Secret Mission 8 and 9!!

Brandon did you beat the entire game without ever getting an SSS combo?

Tokubetsu

SO I just managed to beat mission 11 and get an A rank on it while drunk :lol I'm gonna go pass out now. Fucking sake bombs.

EDIT: Also got my first SSS combot oo hahaha omg.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Haha, mission 1 on son of sparda was very fun. If not for Nero's overpowered throws it'd be a hell of a fight.

thetrin

MiamiWesker said:
Loving Dante's missions so far but they are going by so fast. I don't want it to end, I find myself replaying missions a lot with Dante. Just got pandora, what the... weird gun. The backtracking does hurt, there is nothing new at all, you just fight the exact same bosses but now they are a lot easier, shouldn't bosses be getting harder as the game goes on.

Oh and screw you Secret Mission 8 and 9!!

Brandon did you beat the entire game without ever getting an SSS combo?

I'm about to do Mission 13 when I head home, and I'm surprised to hear that the bosses actually become easier. It'll be interesting to see how much easier when I go through them.

Shane frmo 1up was saying you fight each boss THREE times in the game. Do you fight them all again at the end, Capcom style?

Defuser

thetrin said:
I'm about to do Mission 13 when I head home, and I'm surprised to hear that the bosses actually become easier. It'll be interesting to see how much easier when I go through them.

Shane frmo 1up was saying you fight each boss THREE times in the game. Do you fight them all again at the end, Capcom style?
You will fight them first as Nero which you won't finish them off,fight them twice as Dante(super easy/piece of cake) and he actually finish them off,the third time is mission 19 where you play the dice game and face a boss every time you advance a level up.

For SoS, Nero's Blue Rose charged shot is a savior as it keeps enemies away from you. You should spam/charged this move everytime you do a buster or when theres a special devil bringer move on a specific enemy.

Darkpen

Banned
thetrin said:

the bosses become easier for dante because dante is overpowered like that, but they certainly do feel easier again for Nero because you know their patterns.

But yeah, you do fight them all again at the end
with dante being the exception, but not all bosses are fought 3 times

Darkpen

Banned
Defuser said:
You will fight them first as Nero which you won't finish them off,fight them twice as Dante(super easy/piece of cake) and he actually finish them off,the third time is mission 19 where you play the dice game and face a boss every time you advance a level up.

For SoS, Nero's Blue Rose charged shot is a savior as it keeps enemies away from you. You should spam/charged this move everytime you do a buster or when theres a special devil bringer move on a specific enemy.
have people posted their custom button mapping on this thread yet? I'm curious as to what people are doing to make life easier for them (because I can't see myself holding down square to keep that blue rose charge to mix into the combos).

LowParry

This game has really shined for me. I wasn't going in fully hyped but having played through half of the game so far, I'm really enjoying what it has to offer. I'm on the first mission with Dante and it feels strange to be playing him again after so much Nero. Although trying to switch between styles is way hella fun. It adds some more debth to how I want to kill the bad guys.

Edit: Pantiless women, ftw! And bouncing boobs!

thetrin

Darkpen said:
the bosses become easier for dante because dante is overpowered like that, but they certainly do feel easier again for Nero because you know their patterns.

But yeah, you do fight them all again at the end
with dante being the exception, but not all bosses are fought 3 times

Well I know you fight all the bosses again with Dante, but you also do a gauntlet at the very end?

Ugh, I hate how Capcom always does that.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Darkpen said:
So just how stylish do you have to be in SoS?

Well, from what people have been saying, you need to finish each mission with an A rank or better to progress. I can't speak first hand because I hit A rank on both the SoS missions I completed so far, so I haven't seen a potential "YOU'RE NOT WORTHY NINJA DOG" sort of message.

Mission 2 on SoS was...a lot of fun. >:| I could definitely see myself enjoying this a lot more than DH overall.

thetrin

At the end of Mission 11, Trish's jiggly boobs as she walked were :lol

Nice job, Capcom. :D

I know i'm probably in the minority here, but i don't like dante after playing nero he is so limited and swithing styles is crappy. I'm not gonna even try switching styles midcombo, it figures why the devs made dante more powerfull for compensation.

Defuser

macksplack said:
I know i'm probably in the minority here, but i don't like dante after playing nero he is so limited and swithing styles is crappy. I'm not gonna even try switching styles midcombo, it figures why the devs made dante more powerfull for compensation.
Dante exactly the same as his DMC3 counterpart with minimal differences, only the Gilgamesh makes him a poweful.

Danielsan

Defuser said:
Dante exactly the same as his DMC3 counterpart with minimal differences, only the Gilgamesh makes him a poweful.
Which is odd because it doesn't feel that way. It's probably because I haven't aquired Gilgamesh and Lucifer yet.

Daante

Danielsan:

I agree 110% with every or your opinions on how you feel for this game so far! , i am gonna begin on mission 9 i think tonight after i finished work.
Il look forward to discuss DMC4 more with you once we both have finished it :)

Defuser said:

Yes i know

But contrast to nero he needed some new powers, would make the switch mid game much better.

I think Kyrie really looks like this AV star I've discovered recently.
especially with Kyrie's hair down towards the end
coincidence? :lol
dmc4.jpg

kirara asuka

How in the hell do I get higher scoring combos? I get A ranked combos almost every time, but I NEVER get it into the S range. It feels like I don't have enough moves to pull it off. Currently on level 10.

Zanick

Finished the game a few hours ago on Devil Hunter, small pro's and con's.

+
*Fluid combat system, runs great.
*Proud Souls for abilities, Red Orbs for items is a welcome change.
*New weapons, Pandora's Box ftw.
*Awesome cut scenes, really shows off the direction, better than most hollywood movies.
*Leaderboards make me want to strive for something (Japan is sick at this game).
*Appearances by Trish and Lady

-
*Backtracking, I felt like I was rewinding a VHS.
*Dice board game, cool at first,
sucked on the last mission
*Playing Dante was fun, but I felt like I was playing DMC3 only with stance changes.
*Lightning monsters, wtf, such a pain in the ass to kill.
*Story was meh like all the DMC games but
I really wish they would have said "HEY I'M DANTE I'M YOUR FATHER!" or something of that nature, sure he's a Sparda descendant, but how far down the bloodline? I would have liked a closer connection
*Wasn't a fan of the villian like I was in 1 and 3.

Overall I loved the game, but right now don't want to rank it above or below DMC 1 and 3, excluding 2 because I've wiped it's existance from my memory. So far SoS is damn hard, Dante owned me the first mission, but the second one I managed to pull off an A ranking once I realized the importance of Table Top.

LowParry

CosmicGroinPull said:
dmc4.jpg

kirara asuka

Uhhhhh........-pleads the fifth with his google search-

Beat it, liked it but there needed to be much more Dante stuff.

Difficulty was pretty easy on DH, the
2nd Dante fight
was the only thing that gave me any serious trouble and that was because I didn't realize that it's all about evade/gun/DB. Once I got his timing down it was a breeze.

Can't wait to go through all the difficulties.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Jimmy Stav said:
How in the hell do I get higher scoring combos? I get A ranked combos almost every time, but I NEVER get it into the S range. It feels like I don't have enough moves to pull it off. Currently on level 10.

As Nero I find that instant revving builds style very quickly. Other than that, just use all your moves. Reference the skill list if you haven't been using everything, and/or buy some new moves that will incorporate into your combos.

Darkpen

Banned
CosmicGroinPull said:
kirara asuka
aka asian girls with nose and eye jobs? D:

Tetsuya Nomura, where art thou? :p

Kidding

Anyways, for anyone that cares, I've sent corrections for voice actors/actresses to IMDB, as well as a few wiki pages.

Here's the screencap for reference D:
DMC4 Credits *spoilers*

Also, did you know that all of the first 3 DMCs had a difference VA for Dante? D:

gray_fox224

Darkpen said:

Kidding

Anyways, for anyone that cares, I've sent corrections for voice actors/actresses to IMDB, as well as a few wiki pages.

Here's the screencap for reference D:

pic[/QUOTE]

Spoilers?

Anyone in the UK use Shopto to order this?

My copy never turned up today so I'm going to go out into town at lunchtime and buy it. Will I be able to get a refund from Shopto when my copy eventually arrives?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
DMC5 should throw in a multiplayer versus mode with Dante, Vergil, Nero, etc. as playables. Could have a proud soul point allocation system for handicaps. Mmm, that'd rock, unbalanced or not.

Darkpen said:

yep, probly. awesome body, tho. ;p

Anyway, I think Dmc really benefitted from the leap to nextgen because of its style. No more muddy textures and jaggies!

Gowans

just picked it up on my lunch, UK release today :D

My first DMC, im a Ninja Gaiden guy but likes the second stage in the demo.

Kept out of this thread in fear of spoilers but gonna play Devil Hunter mode as I guess the Human mode is the super easy one.

mileS

I'm having trouble pulling off the "Calibur" move. Is this supposed to be hard to pull off mid air or am I just messing the input up?

KGKK

Banned
mileS said:
I'm having trouble pulling off the "Calibur" move. Is this supposed to be hard to pull off mid air or am I just messing the input up?

I can't seem to pull it off either if that is the L1-back-/\ in mid-air move.
Anyhow, just finish mission 19 which was fun as hell but took forever. At the last part, all I kept getting was red for like 40 mins straight and now my right hand in damn sore. :lol Oh and I was pissed off when I beat the mission, got an S for stylish points, S for orbs, but D for time which gave me an overall D. Fucking hell I tell ya

Gowans

So had a quick play over lunch gonna get back to work after I do this next bit.

As a DMC noob the tutorial and incremental way you earn abilitys seem to be explained well apart from the Rev ability, just guessing that and what is point to the gun??? apart from keeping your combo going I cant really see one.

Graphics are ace, music sucks balls they could have picked some good metal.

Story seems like it could be some great bad ass cheese, tho maybe I should as a human, he seemed to be cool as ****.

This game however has the worst designed menu system I have ever seen, why do I need to be asked so many times about uploading states and scores? why doesnt it just do it like every onther game.

The menu and save system are so confusing to, I still dont know if it autosaves and the first time I saved I didnt know who to continue the mission and ended back at the title screen.

The shop is a little confusing at first to, far more then necessary tho the auto level up options are a nice touch.

Im at a point now thats doing my head in tho, I have to use my arm jump in a area with sikes above and if you time it wrong you end up in a pit full of monsters that respawn every single time :(

Dont get me wrong, im enjoying the game alot but this part, after the 5th time not so much

burgerdog

Two things, I completely forgot that you could buy ENTIRE BLUE ORB FACESHITS, I was wondering why I had so many red orbs so I was at the 19th mission with like only 8 health units :lol

Second, what the fuck, how do you beat
retarded sanctus in the 20th mission? He fucks me up with Sparda at low health.

NameGenerated said:
I don't think it's terrible, it's not as deep sure but not terrible. It is DMC, remember that...
Nothing seems to be fleshed out at all. It feels like all of the characters are there just to take up screen time. In DMC1 and DMC3 they were fleshed out a decent deal but in 4 they just either die or don't do shit. Plus there are some plot elements that aren't expanded upon a great deal or just don't make any sense. The impression I get is that the developers were torn between making a deep, complex plot and making an overly cheesy one instead of just choosing one or the other. If the game had been long and the cutscene direction better then they probably could have pulled it off but as of now everything feels like a garbled mess.

I just got to Echidna with Dante and I'm having trouble with her. Not being able to Devil Arm her ass to death makes this fight a bit tougher now.:lol

burgerdog said:
Two things, I completely forgot that you could buy ENTIRE BLUE ORB FACESHITS, I was wondering why I had so many red orbs so I was at the 19th mission with like only 8 health units :lol

I got lazy n used holy water.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
burgerdog said:

One good solution:
When he charges at you, make sure you got your Devil Trigger activated and use your Buster. Don't know if it's necessary or if it's just my mind (just in my mind!) but when he charges at you, use your Buster to nail him. He'll charge at you a bunch of times so you got plenty of chances to hit him with it. Kinda like Bald Bull in Punch-Out!:lol

Thrakier: Yes, after you finish Devil Hunter, you can watch it again (this goes for the 360 version as well)

Top Bottom