• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

DustinC

Thrakier said:
Does "Devil Hunter" equal a normal difficulty? Can I do it as a non pro-gamer, average guy? I don't want it to be a cakewalk but I also don't want to be frustrated.

Yeah, I've barely played any DMC title before, but I'm enjoying DH a lot better than the cakewalk Human mode. I'd definitely suggest starting with Devil Hunter.

gconsole

ggp759 said:
Does the PS3 version include LPCM audio? I have the UK CE and cannot find the setting for that anywhere. What about the American or the Japanese one?

I think the game follow your setting from xmb.

hteng

Banned
finally finished DMD, i will not touch that mode.. ever.. again! suprisingly the last boss was easier than i thought, but mission 19 was a bitch with all the bosses in there, better bring some health stars. If it weren't for the dice trick i would have stopped at mission 6.

Regarding difficulty levels - do you have to reach an A rank to beat any level on DMD, HoH, and HaH, or is that just for Son of Sparda? Just curious.

hteng

Banned
badcrumble said:
Regarding difficulty levels - do you have to reach an A rank to beat any level on DMD, HoH, and HaH, or is that just for Son of Sparda? Just curious.

there's no rank requirement to finish the missions in all modes, you can receive a D and still proceed to the next mission. The only requirement so far is Hell and Hell where you need a SSS to kill an enemy.

for those who are having problems with secret mission 6 and 7 here are some tips to make it easier

SM6
there are two get the scare crow out of the way.
1. the way its in the link here. I found this hard as hell because the seeds didnt wait.

2. perform the buster and hold the scarecrow up. now all you have to do is avoid the seeds by double jumping (time it right or else you will get caught).
much easier

SM7
this is quite easy if you know the trick.
activate the platforms and wait for the platform to reach the blue orb.
perform a streak to send nero flying off the end, air hike, then calibur to reach the other platform.
look at the video for reference

Kyoufu

Toonami 99 said:
SM7
this is quite easy if you know the trick.
activate the platforms and wait for the platform to reach the blue orb.
perform a streak to send nero flying off the end, air hike, then calibur to reach the other platform.
look at the video for reference

wait...I need to try that...

edit: nevermind, didn't read. I was having trouble on the actual mission 7, where you activate the platforms.

Xater

Just finished it for the first time. Holy shit this game is all kinds of awesome. Love the Pandorra. BTW can I transform it into this flying thing that shoots rockets or are those unlockable transformations all?

Now on with the spoiler:

It kinda sucks that we don't get to know the origin of Nero. I really like the charcter and bsides som mentioning that he inhereted the powers of Sparda there is kinda nothing. Is he another son or what?

I also hope DMC5 will pick up from the end. Playing the whole trio would be awesome. If they add Nero even more awesome. But for 5 they should make it possible to play every mission with the character you want and allow multiple ways or something (because of the Devil Bringer).

Tokubetsu

Maggot9 said:
Thank.

You.

IF you don't mind cheesing it, you can jump on top of that thing in the middle of the room. He'll try to follow you there by jumping up onto one of the edges and you can just buster him in midair (he cant dodge/counter while he's in the middle of a jump). Repeat and try to do it while DT'd and you'll win. It does a little more than half a bar normally and a more than a bar while dt'd. If he does manage to knock you off, just wait till he jumps back down after you, jump back on and repeat.

Hmm, there seems to be a lack of audio\visual cues for enemy attacks compared to DMC3. The enemies seem a lot harder to read in comparison. Kind of dissapointing, Royal Guard was my favourite style in 3 and without these cues it'll be a lot less fun :-/ In DMC3 you could be combo-ing it up in the middle of a pack of enemies and still parry everything just by paying attention to sounds. Maybe I just need to play some more to pick up on the cues but at the moment im not seeing or hearing much telegraphing of attacks.

Oh well, game still rocks, enjoying Nero a hell of a lot more than I thought I would.

Baker

Banned
Maggot9 said:
Dante.

2nd fight.

Tips.

Now.

My wussy way:

Do nothing but dodge until he runs at you. When he's running, that means he's going to do his downward air attack. Dodge, devil bringer, ^^,^^^^ combo.

It takes forever, but it was the only way I could guarantee he wouldn't counterattack or dodge.

Never initiate an attack unless you at least devil bringer stun him. Even then, it's a crap shoot if you'll be ever to string a combo together.

Edit: Sorry, forgot spoiler tags...

dralla

Beat it! Final time was 11:15. I think I'm going to fully power myself up before starting SoS. Is there a list of Blue Orb fragment locations?

Amon37

ggp759 said:
Does the PS3 version include LPCM audio? I have the UK CE and cannot find the setting for that anywhere. What about the American or the Japanese one?

I posted about this a couple pages back. There is no setting in the game and wouldn't be in the XMB. My reciever is showing Dolby Digital NOT Multi Channel PCM. I have the American CE.

Mamesj

Banned
hteng said:
. The only requirement so far is Hell and Hell where you need a SSS to kill an enemy.

This just gets more ridiculous each time i read it.

Daily reminder-- DMC4 360 GAF Leaderboard:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236501
show us your skills, win the approval and respect of several people you probably never meet in real life, gain the satisfaction of knowing that there are people who you have never met that think you are awesome for having crazy DMC skills.

Loving it so far.
I'm on the second mission as Dante I believe, and I love Dante and being able to switch styles but I gotta say I miss Nero's demon arm. It really adds another dimension to the combat and I can see why Capcom opted to add him to DMC4.

That said, I'm stuck in the Lost Woods as Dante. The part where there's four different directions to go, and each time you go wrong you get sent down to the Hidden Pit to fight enemies.
Any help?

Alphahawk

So I grabbed it last night for the 360 and it's pretty fun although it seems a little too easy on Human mode, one thing I have to say is the save system is pretty f*ckin riddiculous if you save after completing a mission the game treats it as a midlevle save meaning if you don't save at the start of the new mission you have to play the previous level all over again. Also while I'm on gripe why the f*ck do I have to download friend informatio seprately. if XBLA can have seemless leader boards theirs no reason why retail games can't.

But overall the actual gameplay is very solid, in a weird way it's kinda reminicint of Metroid Prime...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
ToyMachine228 said:
Loving it so far.
I'm on the second mission as Dante I believe, and I love Dante and being able to switch styles but I gotta say I miss Nero's demon arm. It really adds another dimension to the combat and I can see why Capcom opted to add him to DMC4.

That said, I'm stuck in the Lost Woods as Dante. The part where there's four different directions to go, and each time you go wrong you get sent down to the Hidden Pit to fight enemies.
Any help?

Go in the opposite direction of the shadow being cast by the center pillar.

ToyMachine228 said:
Loving it so far.

Any help?
The forest
where it says go towards the light? just keep[ heading down the path that is in the direction of the sun, look for the one that has the shadows of the trees and the archway casting away from it.

Sectus

pancakesandsex said:
Is there any way to replay mission 1 WITHOUT the goddamn tutorial every time?
Turn off tutorials in the options menu and the first mission will be a pure boss fight without interruptions.

ggp759

Banned
Amon37 said:
I posted about this a couple pages back. There is no setting in the game and wouldn't be in the XMB. My reciever is showing Dolby Digital NOT Multi Channel PCM. I have the American CE.
People over at avsforums are saying that the sound format is DD 5.1 Lossless not PCM. So if your receiver displays the rate of the DD signal thats coming in...

j-wood

Sweet. Just sold Assassin's Creed to Game Crazy (albeit for only 20 bucks, but when I bought it, it was on sale at best buy for 35, so not that bad). Installing DMC4 now :D

Kyoufu said:
All puzzles in this game can die in a fiery hell.

The two that really pissed me off are:

1. The Grim Grip orbs with the spiky ceiling.

2. The disappearing platforms in the forest.

Aside from that, loving it so far. The golden statue music is the best thing to enter my earlobes.

The disappearing platform one was awesome.

Just focus on the platforms, and keep your one eye on the enemies.

White to blue to red -- it's all indicated. Nothing is random.

Prince8

Banned
So just started an hour ago, but what am I supposed to do with all those red orbs if I can't use them to buy upgrades anymore? Spend them on item crap only?

Alphahawk said:
So I grabbed it last night for the 360 and it's pretty fun although it seems a little too easy on Human mode, one thing I have to say is the save system is pretty f*ckin riddiculous if you save after completing a mission the game treats it as a midlevle save meaning if you don't save at the start of the new mission you have to play the previous level all over again. Also while I'm on gripe why the f*ck do I have to download friend informatio seprately. if XBLA can have seemless leader boards theirs no reason why retail games can't.

But overall the actual gameplay is very solid, in a weird way it's kinda reminicint of Metroid Prime...

Uhh...that doesn't make sense.

When you finish a mission...it says Mission Menu, Next, Save.

You click save, and save the game, you're good.

Then all you do when you boot it up - is make sure to click right on the d-pad to start the next mission. It defaults on the one you just did...but just click right to cycle to the next mission. There are relatively big left and right arrows next to it, indicating you can cycle. I don't know how you overlooked that...

Darkpen

Banned
Holy Order Sol said:
Is it just me or does Dante's face look a bit like Snake ?
Must be the beard.
Actually, whenever I see Dante's new face, I can't help but notice just how much asian influence there is.

Just like Snake :( Atleast their excuse is "Snake is half-japanese" :/

luxarific said:
Well, there's that one "keep it in the family" Dante line re the Yamato so there must be some relationship there. I'm still hoping Nero's a Vergil reincarnation cause I miss him.
*holds out for DMC 5*
his
"keep it in the family" line was referring to him needing to get ahold of Yamato. However, I still want to find out what relationship Nero has with Dante, or more importantly, Vergil.

Bebpo

Banned
Hmm, I didn't realize that heaven or hell mode has the enemies die in 1 hit. Really easy and relaxing. I think I'll use this mode to gather the rest of the blue orb fragments since you can speed run it so so fast.

Only downpoint is you hardly get any proud souls each mission since it seems like the majority of the souls come from style points.

I wish I could save before a boss battle and not have to play through the whole level again just to get to it.

But this is a complaint I've had with every DMC game.

Holy shit.

I just checked out the dmc4 gamefaq boards and between the 360 and ps3 dmc4 boards there are almost 3,000 topics :lol

Not dealing with that one....

fistfulofmetal said:
I wish I could save before a boss battle and not have to play through the whole level again just to get to it.

But this is a complaint I've had with every DMC game.

There are checkpoints before a boss.

Though you can't hard-save in a middle of a mission.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
How should you fight the flying shadow things as Dante?

btw on the fly style switching is ridiculous

tribal24

Banned
Y2Kev said:
How should you fight the flying shadow things as Dante?

btw on the fly style switching is ridiculous

shoot them then they will get out of shadow or
use the lucifer which i prefer since you can kill them easily while they have the shadow on

Top Bottom