• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Bebpo

Banned
Ran through heaven and hell (the easy one, not the impossible one) in a 2-3 hour run. Was really boring but at least I collected all the blue orb fragments outside of secret missions.

How the hell do you do secret mission 3? I watched that video where he holds the guy but I'm getting no combo meter at all when holding a puppet whose blocking frost attacks and when the two frosts are there and I grab one frost, he only stays in my hand for like 3 seconds before jumping out.

Narag said:
I'd like to know if you happen to find out. That part is so aggravating. I'd just assumed you couldn't even get up there.

If you shoot the wall you get red orbs. Finally figured it out.

Danielsan

Well just beat the game. Definitely a great game but not nearly as great as DMC3 and DMC1. A bit dissapointed but whatever. Time to start getting some S ranks on human and Devil Hunter and start a SoS run after that.

You know the one "serious" complaint I have with this game?

The fucking box art.

And the logo.

What blind graphic designer put that shit together, look at the fucking spine.

hteng

Banned
burgerdog said:
Bebpo, did you beat Dante Must Die already? Or do you get Heaven and Hell by just beating Son of Sparda?

heaven or hell comes up after you beat son of sparda

hell and hell comes up after you beat dante must die

hteng

Banned
Bebpo said:
Ran through heaven and hell (the easy one, not the impossible one) in a 2-3 hour run. Was really boring but at least I collected all the blue orb fragments outside of secret missions.

How the hell do you do secret mission 3? I watched that video where he holds the guy but I'm getting no combo meter at all when holding a puppet whose blocking frost attacks and when the two frosts are there and I grab one frost, he only stays in my hand for like 3 seconds before jumping out.

If you shoot the wall you get red orbs. Finally figured it out.

maybe you have to taunt them, you don't actually see the combo meter until you get a D rank though.

Bebpo

Banned
hteng said:
maybe you have to taunt them, you don't actually see the combo meter until you get a D rank though.

Taunting barely moves the meter up. Hell, even when I got to D rank by using shield it would drop out before the enemy attacked again.

I hate this mission. Especially because after every time I die in it I have to fight the stupid cloak guys at the start of the level again. If you die in a SM you really should just drop out to where you entered it.

I just started the game, beat the first boss dying 4 times.
At the end of the stage they tallied up my score and panelized me for Enemy handicapped. Somewhere else in this thread someone said after dying 3 ties whichever boss becomes easier. How do i stop this.???????????
In the past, they ASKED you do you want to make it easier.

Bebpo said:
Taunting barely moves the meter up. Hell, even when I got to D rank by using shield it would drop out before the enemy attacked again.

I hate this mission. Especially because after every time I die in it I have to fight the stupid cloak guys at the start of the level again. If you die in a SM you really should just drop out to where you entered it.

I've heard you can do it as Dante by using the Royal Guard style to increase your style by guarding.

Mamesj

Banned
Okay, what do I do here-- mission 20, second form, I am at a loss--
I dodge the first arm smash, buster it, second arm comes, I dodge it....and the first arm comes back, rinse, repeat? I just wanna kill the thing already.

Please help...

Danielsan

Mamesj said:
I dodge the first arm smash, buster it, second arm comes, I dodge it....and the first arm comes back, rinse, repeat? I just wanna kill the thing already.

Please help...
I had the same problem. You dodge the first arm and then punch it with the buster. You need to hit the second arm when it does the sweeping move with a well timed buster. That's all.

Darkpen said:
you see them at the end of the mission, and you can see a list of them in the game itself, as well as seeing stats and accomplishments for people on your FL. Sadly, they didn't do the blip thing like Uncharted (and how 360 does it).

Do you see the ones your friend has in game or outside the game within the XMB?

hteng

Banned
Mamesj said:

Please help...

you have to buster both arms and then buster his head to end the game lol, no need to dodge it, just time it correctly and buster it before the impact

def sim

picked this up an hour ago

so far devil hunter mode is a bit easy but it's still good fun

berial got his ass kicked again. hooray

gconsole

Mamesj said:

Please help...

Use your devil hand with it. Just puch his hand right away as soon as it reach you.

Maggot9

Banned
Ok, questions about the Leaderboards.

Why is it that I can't find myself on the overall leaderboards for Devil Hunter? I beat the game, and I have an overall rank, but I'm NOT in the list with everybody else. (I scrolled to my name).

Also, when I go to check out my friends ranks in missions, some friends are not showing up, even though I got a little message saying they beat that level. For me, when I check my friends ranks from like mission 3-20, not one is listed.

Mrbob

Haha of all the missions I S rank in it is mission 19.

Got an S in both time and style points with an A in orbs.

I got a bit lucky. I kept on getting proper rolls where I made it through right away.

Draft

Game could have been a 9. Jumping puzzles make it a 7.

Unbelievable. What in the hell were they thinking? Seems a new one every level, each less fun than the last.

Just unbelievable.

Mamesj

Banned
Danielsan said:
I had the same problem. You dodge the first arm and then punch it with the buster. You need to hit the second arm when it does the sweeping move with a well timed buster. That's all.

That did the trick, thanks :D

Woo, beat DH mode, ranked 700-something overall (could be higher but I have 2 D ranks.) on to SoS!

All throughout the ending, I kept waiting for Nero's hand to flip out and start acting on its own. I know it wouldn't happen, but man, just look at that thing. :lol

Draft said:
Game could have been a 9. Jumping puzzles make it a 7.

Unbelievable. What in the hell were they thinking? Seems a new one every level, each less fun than the last.

Just unbelievable.

The one with the huge drill that you have to slow down is fucking awful.

Hello Capcom, the 3D perspective can be very confusing in a game, so make the platforming a little more forgiving next time thx

Draft

Mamesj said:
That did the trick, thanks :D

Woo, beat DH mode, ranked 700-something overall (could be higher but I have 2 D ranks.) on to SoS!

All throughout the ending, I kept waiting for Nero's hand to flip out and start acting on its own. I know it wouldn't happen, but man, just look at that thing. :lol

The one with the huge drill that you have to slow down is fucking awful.

Hello Capcom, the 3D perspective can be very confusing in a game, so make the platforming a little more forgiving next time thx
:lol Yup, that's where I am. Just turned the game off in disgust. What a fucking travesty of design. It is a crying shame when a brilliant game is hobbled with one or two bonehead elements, and here's a perfect example.

What's really wretched is that it's not like this is a DMC staple. I just finished DMC3SE again last weekend, and there is nothing like this in that game. The worst is the mace puzzles, and even those aren't so bad.

This sucks. Every time I've turned the game off, it's because I hit a puzzle, and it just stopped being fun.

Mrbob

Wait till you hit the stage 19 dice setup.

If you didn't get lucky like I did it will be an exercise in frustration. Not only can it be a big pain, but the actual setting where the dice game is actually held is hilarious at best and absurd at worst.

Just finished the game. Good action. Story wasn't as good as I would want in a DMC game but this isn't what I play the game for. Can get disorienting at times figuring out where to go. Dante is awesome but his segment is way too short. Backtracking through previous areas again is a pretty lame game mechanic in 2008. Overall the action still kept me hooked and I'll play it again. 8/10 seems fair for this game. Before Heavenly Sword is mentioned yes I know the game is overrated.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
so question for people that have beaten the game
ok so i beat it yesterday and at the end of the credits it has that picture of dante and nero sitting on the catch well what is that text on the bottom that is up for a second then dissapears. it says something about prequel (only word i saw)

Narag

Mission 16 spoiler
Bebpo wasn't kidding about Dante on SoS still rocking bosses. Fully charged Disaster gauge pandora missle launch + full RG bar release + DT & Gilgamesh killed Dagon in like 20 seconds. :lol

Mamesj

Banned
Draft said:
:lol Yup, that's where I am. Just turned the game off in disgust. What a fucking travesty of design. It is a crying shame when a brilliant game is hobbled with one or two bonehead elements, and here's a perfect example.

What's really wretched is that it's not like this is a DMC staple. I just finished DMC3SE again last weekend, and there is nothing like this in that game. The worst is the mace puzzles, and even those aren't so bad.

This sucks. Every time I've turned the game off, it's because I hit a puzzle, and it just stopped being fun.

it's annoying, but stick with it. one good fight after that (actually, there's a REALLY good boss fight on that level about 3 minutes after the drill ;) ) and you'll have that mess behind you....until the next time you hit it with Dante. :lol but it's much easier with Trickster.

Not a Jellyfish said:
ok so i beat it yesterday and at the end of the credits it has that picture of dante and nero sitting on the catch well what is that text on the bottom that is up for a second then dissapears. it says something about prequel (only word i saw)

naw, I completely missed that.

Darkpen

Banned
Not a Jellyfish said:
sitting on "the catch"?

what difficulty did you beat it on? For
devil hunter, it says "so you aren't just some casual gamer" or something to that extent, at which I lol'd

Narag said:
Mission 16 spoiler
Bebpo wasn't kidding about Dante on SoS still rocking bosses. Fully charged Disaster gauge pandora missle launch + full RG bar release + DT & Gilgamesh killed Dagon in like 20 seconds. :lol
o_O wait, what? What's RG, and is there somethng I don't know about the gunslinger style move for pandora? How do I shoot multiple missiles at once, like in the cutscene (or can you only shoot one or two at a time?)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just beat mission 13.

The Nero cutscenes in the game are a little more serious, but the Dante cutscenes are as good or better than any other DMC. The
Gilgamesh
introduction cutscene post mission 13 was SOFUCKINGAWESOMEOMG.

Narag

Darkpen said:
o_O wait, what? What's RG, and is there somethng I don't know about the gunslinger style move for pandora? How do I shoot multiple missiles at once, like in the cutscene (or can you only shoot one or two at a time?)

Full disaster gauge lets you fire two volleys of missles from Pandora in GS.
RG = Royal Guard

Darkpen

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Just beat mission 13.

The Nero cutscenes in the game are a little more serious, but the Dante cutscenes are as good or better than any other DMC. The
Gilgamesh
introduction cutscene post mission 13 was SOFUCKINGAWESOMEOMG.
eh, the
Lucifer
cutscene is better, IMO, but I admit, the
Gilgamesh cutscene certainly gives much homage to kung fu flicks

Darkpen

Banned
Narag said:
Full disaster gauge lets you fire two volleys of missles from Pandora in GS.
RG = Royal Guard
I didn't play DMC3 to as great extent as some of you guys did, so I have no idea as to how the hell RG even works. (I mean, its blocking and building up power, that you can release, right? Then what?)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I haven't encountered any platforming that I thought was really hard so far, but it definitely is kind of awkward. That strange rigidity has been around since DMC1 when it comes to jumping.

I just forgot that I could use trickster for the laser puzzles.

ElyrionX

I3rand0 said:
About Proud Souls, if I replay a level and get a better ranking, does that give me more than I had previously or am I wrong? I guess its not like DMC 3 where you could grind in one mission.

Yes, you can replay a level and grind for proud souls. However, there aren't really any missions in the game that you can do to earn proud souls efficiently or at least, I haven't found any yet. So I would recommend waiting till you unlock the Bloody Palance to do your proud souls grinding. IIRC, I got about 2000 proud souls in only 15 minutes of fighting in the Bloody Palace.

Mrbob said:
Wait till you hit the stage 19 dice setup.

If you didn't get lucky like I did it will be an exercise in frustration. Not only can it be a big pain, but the actual setting where the dice game is actually held is hilarious at best and absurd at worst.

Just finished the game. Good action. Story wasn't as good as I would want in a DMC game but this isn't what I play the game for. Can get disorienting at times figuring out where to go. Dante is awesome but his segment is way too short. Backtracking through previous areas again is a pretty lame game mechanic in 2008. Overall the action still kept me hooked and I'll play it again. 8/10 seems fair for this game. Before Heavenly Sword is mentioned yes I know the game is overrated.

Now this time, try to listen to me.

Since you beat the game on human (I don't know why, considering you're extensive experience with action games and devil may cry...) start your new game on Son of Sparda. Not Devil Hunter.

Devil Hunter will likely be easier than Human since you'll have your beefed up characters as you go through it.

Captain N

I just got the game tonight and haven't gotten to play it thanks to my girlfriend getting American Idol. One thing I wanted to point out was the black & White manual. What's up with that?!?

beerbelly

Banned
I just saw the DMC4 commercial for the first time. The font they used made it look really amateur. Both versions of the game boxes were shown briefly and then the Xbox logo + "Jump In". MS paying for commercials again.

fistfulofmetal said:
I need to upgrade my shit. I just beat Dante the second time and I realized I still have the default health bar and devil trigger lamps.

The one good thing about the Proud Soul system is that you can free up your red orbs.

What are you spending them on?

Get some blue/purple orbs.

slade

Darkpen said:
eh, the
Lucifer
cutscene is better, IMO, but I admit, the
Gilgamesh cutscene certainly gives much homage to kung fu flicks

My personal favorites were
Dante vs. Dagon (baby yeah)
and
Dante vs. Agnus. You can't beat a stage play done with all the cheesiness of DMC.

Top Bottom