• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

comrade

So I finished all 12 Secret Missions(fuck yeah!). But I'm still missing about 7 blue fragments. They're going to be a bitch to find even with a guide since I'm going to have to check out just about every one since I don't remember the ones I've gotten.

Draft

What is the timing on throwing back Credo's spears, anyway. I can't figure it out at all. Can't deflect them with my sword or throw them back.

ROFL I just connected my PS3 to my new router, and it's not picking up any of the data from my save. I cleared all of DH while offline, but it shows up as not being done and my having 0 points.

Whatever.

Just finished the game. Pretty decent. It'll be interesting to see where they take the series from here. I definitely think both Nero and Dante have a place in the series as playable characters going forward. Enjoyed playing them both. As far as pure action gaming goes I think Nero's arm is definitely a big addition making it easier to string together long and devastating combos.

I find it kind of odd however that they never come right out and talk about Nero's connection to Virgil. The fact that Virgil is empowering Nero through Devil Trigger, and using Yamato. Fans know it, but I thought they would have talked about it and explained it.

Other than that though I'm pleased and I'm definitely going to play through again. Probably on Son of Sparda. I'll probably dabble in the other modes as well. Gotta play some Rez first!

hteng

Banned
Bebpo said:
That guy who made Credo look like a joke on DMD is insane. I finally beat that battle after a ton of tries and even then I had to just play it slow and defensively chipping him down little by little. In the video it looks like "oh you just got grab those lances and throw them back for your opening" but I tried grabbing them and uh....out of about 20 tries I didn't grab one and if you miss it does like 20% damage or more. >_<

Frog and Snake are pretty easy on DMD IMO, both are slow with predictable patterns. Berial is really hard and Credo is challenging.

hteng & seiken, shoot me a PSN friendlist thing at "bebpojp". I don't have any friends playing on DMD to compare leaderboards with >_<

i'll add ya after i get back home from work. My DMD scores suck, i really hated that mode, i mostly just run and holy water most of my fights haha. The most annoying boss fight for me was Sanctus in stage 11, after i got him down to 10% health (which took bout 4-5mins) i could not touch him for a good 30mins lol damn old fart.

IJoel

Woo, I'm not some casual gamer. :p I was surprised the
gauntlet
wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be.

I liked the game quite a bit, but it's a pity there's so much backtracking.

hteng

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
ROFL I just connected my PS3 to my new router, and it's not picking up any of the data from my save. I cleared all of DH while offline, but it shows up as not being done and my having 0 points.

Whatever.

it takes a while for them to update the scores, my PS3 is going through a router modem (DLINK) and i have no problems registering my scores, it just takes some time before you can view them.

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
ToyMachine228 said:
I find it kind of odd however that they never come right out and talk about Nero's connection to Virgil. The fact that Virgil is empowering Nero through Devil Trigger, and using Yamato. Fans know it, but I thought they would have talked about it and explained it.

Well, other than
Vergil being there empowering him, no other connection is explained. Everyone keeps saying Nero posesses the blood of Sparda, but uhhh how?
. All in all, the storyline has quite the case of sequelitis, but it's pretty cool otherwise.

Draft said:
What is the timing on throwing back Credo's spears, anyway. I can't figure it out at all. Can't deflect them with my sword or throw them back.

Perform the buster attack the moment he pivots his hips to throw/release it as if he was a baseball pitcher.

If that seems to early, wait a few milliseconds after such.

And I'm surprised nobody is commenting on the secret ending. That was badass.

XHitoshuraX said:
The battle with Credo is essentially one of the greatest fights I have ever experienced in an action game.

Agreed. Especially on SoS (still haven't touched DMD yet).

He goes ape-shit crazy and starts busting out these attacks I've never seen before on Devil Hunter. I was like "hooly shit..."

So I just beat the game on DH. Great game. So do difficulty levels effect your ranking online? Like getting more stylish points on DmD, or are there separate boards for certain difficulties?

Danielsan

Dark FaZe said:
So I just beat the game on DH. Great game. So do difficulty levels effect your ranking online? Like getting more stylish points on DmD, or are there separate boards for certain difficulties?
Seperate leaderboards per difficulty.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Okay, either I'm missing a large portion of my brain or there's something wrong with the game's story: I'm not understanding much of it and I'm on Mission 17.

Okay, so there's this group called the Order of such and such, and they worship the demon-slaying God Sparda (who is Dante's father; was spoken about in DMC1, 2, 3, etc). Then, the leaders of this Sparda-worshipping group decide, with the help of a giant, dark-skinned scientist to harness demonic power by "isolating and binding it." Using demonic power which they extract from _____, they turn themselves into Angel-creatures, hoping to kill everything in the world and start anew?

Am I getting this?
I don't understand the whole flying-statue-of-Sparda thing either

The statue is merely a built vessel to harness the power of the yamato and sparda's blood.

This will give in-turn great demonic power. Which sanctus wants.

This was what Arkham was doing in DMC3. Using the Yamato to gain the power of Sparda.

However, the game tries to elicit the point that dante, sparda, trish, the order is all a side story, and the real story is nero trying to save kyrie. That's meant to be the whole driving force. As you can tell, Nero doesn't give a shit what's going on. He just wants to save Kyrie.

Dante is there to stop the order.

hteng

Banned
interesting fact:

Nero, in DT mode, when you shot you'll see blades attacking for extra damage, now when you grab a boss while he/she is stunned, you can actually hit the shoot button, since you can't shoot while in the grabbing animation, you can still produce those blades, they'll hit your target causing more damage. Charge shoots produce 6 blades while normal shoots just produce 1-2 blades per fire.

Narag

C- Warrior said:
However, the game tries to elicit the point that dante, sparda, trish, the order is all a side story, and the real story is nero trying to save kyrie. That's meant to be the whole driving force. As you can tell, Nero doesn't give a shit what's going on. He just wants to save Kyrie.

The more I've thought about it, the more I've liked this. Its neat watching Dante at work from the outside looking in for a change.

hteng said:
interesting fact:

Nero, in DT mode, when you shot you'll see blades attacking for extra damage, now when you grab a boss while he/she is stunned, you can actually hit the shoot button, since you can't shoot while in the grabbing animation, you can still produce those blades, they'll hit your target causing more damage. Charge shoots produce 6 blades while normal shoots just produce 1-2 blades per fire.

I'd noticed that. You can do some crazy stuff with the 6 blade charge shot but there's a delay before it takes off one blade at a time :(

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
C- Warrior said:
The statue is merely a built vessel to harness the power of the yamato and sparda's blood.

This will give in-turn great demonic power. Which sanctus wants.

This was what Arkham was doing in DMC3. Using the Yamato to gain the power of Sparda.

Hehe, that's right! All he wants to do is save that girl. No wonder all his comments were so....eh.

So are Sanctus and co. demons? Or are they angels? God, it's so confusing, especially after Agnus referred to the "armors" as angels earlier on. And why does Sanctus want the demonic power to begin with? He clearly doens't want to destroy humanity as evidenced by when he killed all the demons in the Fortuna-town with his statue to protect the people, telling them (paraphrased) a "new way of life has begun." Arrgh.

I finished DH and human earlier today

I found mission 18 more annoying then 19 (the dice game was easy)
Also I need some tips for the final boss.
I know that you can use the devil bringer to stop hip from charging with the sword, but completely breaking his shield and wings is becoming tedious.

Story was ok, but with no origin for Nero it leaves me disappointed. For all we know Capcom can pull a switch and have nero not related to vergil.

Dante was a little disappointing, switching through all 6 weapons left me confused when I wanted to mix it up. Most of his weapons dont really have easy croud control compaired to Nero, and without snatch, I hated chasing after an enemy after a stinger. His swords left me a little more to be desired too, Gill. is powerful but too slow for me, plus his jump kick doesnt connect when you are locked on. Pandora's Box was ok, but what is up with the commands? why not tap the stick twice instead of three times and for revenge why not just one 360 instead of two. I hate the fact that there wasnt a weapon faster than rebellion but weaker in damage.

no extra costumes, no unlockable characters, no extra weapons, this doesnt sound like capcom to not leave out this stuff.

All boss battles were great BTW except mission 18.

Toonami 99 said:
I finished DH and human earlier today

I found mission 18 more annoying then 19 (the dice game was easy)
Also I need some tips for the final boss.
I know that you can use the devil bringer to stop hip from charging with the sword, but completely breaking his shield and wings is becoming tedious.

Story was ok, but with no origin for Nero it leaves me disappointed. For all we know Capcom can pull a switch and have nero not related to vergil.

Dante was a little disappointing, switching through all 6 weapons left me confused when I wanted to mix it up. Most of his weapons dont really have easy croud control compaired to Nero, and without snatch, I hated chasing after an enemy after a stinger. His swords left me a little more to be desired too, Gill. is powerful but too slow for me, plus his jump kick doesnt connect when you are locked on. Pandora's Box was ok, but what is up with the commands? why not tap the stick twice instead of three times and for revenge why not just one 360 instead of two. I hate the fact that there wasnt a weapon faster than rebellion but weaker in damage.

no extra costumes, no unlockable characters, no extra weapons, this doesnt sound like capcom to not leave out this stuff.

All boss battles were great BTW except mission 18.

It's pretty clear that this is Nero's game and that the environments (big for the sake of DB) and enemies were tuned to his combat style, Dante's an after thought, and feels like it too, unfortunately.

Zabka

dirtmonkey37 said:
Hehe, that's right! All he wants to do is save that girl. No wonder all his comments were so....eh.

So are Sanctus and co. demons? Or are they angels? God, it's so confusing, especially after Agnus referred to the "armors" as angels earlier on. And why does Sanctus want the demonic power to begin with? He clearly doens't want to destroy humanity as evidenced by when he killed all the demons in the Fortuna-town with his statue to protect the people, telling them (paraphrased) a "new way of life has begun." Arrgh.
It was a little muddy, but Sanctus had Angus summon the demons to both attack the town and use them to empower their Order. After creating an enemy and bringing the town to the brink of destruction, Sanctus swoops in and saves everyone with a grand show of "godly" force. He gains the loyalty of the people and rules over the remnants.

What I want to know is how
Sanctus got his hands on the Sparda sword, since it's shown in Dante's flashback cutscene on the wall in his office. Maybe Trish gave it to the Order to gain their loyalty?
Or maybe I just missed something.

Narag

Zabka said:
Sanctus got his hands on the Sparda sword, since it's shown in Dante's flashback cutscene on the wall in his office. Maybe Trish gave it to the Order to gain their loyalty?

Trish gave it to them. When questioned about Gloria's loyalty, he points out she obtained the sword "Sparda" for them.

Man, Dante's Cutsecenes are so much better :lol. The action is just awesom and his lol attitude makes you lol too.

btw Mission 18 "Ugly Hair" Boss is really lame. This + the forest are were the gameplay is at its lowest. Thankfully everything else is perfect/great.

Viewt

Just beat the game a few minutes ago. A tad short, and there were a couple times when I was pulling my hair out in frustration (not so much because of the difficulty - more because of the camera or just the stupid design choice), but overall, I really liked it. It was my first Devil May Cry, so I suppose now I understand what all the hullaballoo is about.

Can someone hook me up with all these hot DMC4 wallpapers/artwork? I especially want the one where Nero is facing forward and Dante has his back to the camera and they're on stairs. There's a smaller version of it on the Devil May Cry official site as the first screen you see.

Thanks!

llTll

Banned
i am still early at the game. but man... the videos are amazing. i just keep watching them over and over. and so is the music.

i am in love with this game

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Zabka said:
It was a little muddy, but Sanctus had Angus summon the demons to both attack the town and use them to empower their Order. After creating an enemy and bringing the town to the brink of destruction, Sanctus swoops in and saves everyone with a grand show of "godly" force. He gains the loyalty of the people and rules over the remnants.

Oh okay. Cool.

But then another question: Agnus mentions that to "conquer the world" (which is what the leader of the Order wants to do), he opened a Hellgate (not the real "Gate", but a "Hellgate") to release the demons. Nero fights these demons and Kyrie happened to be by his side at the time and she fell into a situation of great danger. Nero relinquished his humanity to become a demon for power to pull Kyrie out of that sticky situation. Meanwhile, Agnus is using the power of these demons (how?; that's my question) to turn "His Holiness", Credo, and himself into "Angels" (Am I right so far?). As Angels and with the power of the Yamato/Demon Blood infused with the Sparda vessel/statue, they can conquer this new "world" of theirs. Correct?

Dahbomb

This is my stance on the whole Dante vs Nero deal.

Dante owns hard, Nero is for n00bs but still fun.

End of discussion. Great game, play it.

LordK

I'm missing ONE S and that's on mission 18. I got a C the first time on it... then moved up to a B... then just got an A. I'm really getting pissed because I don't ENJOY this mission. It's long and tedious. I'm having a hard time building up style.

Dahbomb

Mefisutoferesu said:
You should change your avatar.
Why? I refuse to.
He will fucking return. I will wear it until DMC5 god damn it!
:lol

Has anyone tried HOH mode yet? Is there any difference to the game aside from you die in one hit and enemies have DMD-like health and AI? I heard something about you need high styles to kill enemies, is that true?

Finally got passed Berial in Bloody Palace with Dante (Trickster for the win). The 20's are crazy, stupid Blitz, I did managed to get all the way to level 30 in good health but then a freaking army of enemies came out and its tough to manage that many enemies with Dante, so they destroyed me. I guess its much easier with Nero and his throw move, just spam that and the fight should be easy.

Did Bloody Palace late at night for the first time after beating the game. Chose Nero, got to Berial and died =(. I'll try again in the morning with Dante and try to get to him with full health.

Dahbomb

XHitoshuraX said:
How do you use the shield? And is it worth it lol
You mean the Aegis Shield?

You just perform its input (which is Buster and hold O down) and it holds up an enemy like you are performing Buster. You can use it to raise style by blocking enemy attacks with it but it's biggest usage is excluding enemies from combos. Like say you start a combo on an enemy and you want to finish it last but you are surrounded by enemies. You would initiate Aegis Shield on the enemy that is in front of you, then you would proceed to do R1+Forward+Attack button which would result in a Streak (EX Streak if you have gauges filled). The enemy that is in the Grab while be suspended in mid-air over you while you proceed to slash the other enemies. Once the attack finishes, you can finish off the opponent that is in your grab.

It appears to be a ghetto Buster cancel of some sort as well, like a "fake Buster". I am still trying to experiment with its capabilities.

LordK

Alright... got all S in devil hunter. I'm ranked like 242 overall. Probably gonna drop soon. Next weekend I'll start bloody palace. I got absolutely no studying done this weekend. I love this game.

123rl

Dahbomb said:
You mean the Aegis Shield?

You just perform its input (which is Buster and hold O down) and it holds up an enemy like you are performing Buster. You can use it to raise style by blocking enemy attacks with it but it's biggest usage is excluding enemies from combos. Like say you start a combo on an enemy and you want to finish it last but you are surrounded by enemies. You would initiate Aegis Shield on the enemy that is in front of you, then you would proceed to do R1+Forward+Attack button which would result in a Streak (EX Streak if you have gauges filled). The enemy that is in the Grab while be suspended in mid-air over you while you proceed to slash the other enemies. Once the attack finishes, you can finish off the opponent that is in your grab.

It appears to be a ghetto Buster cancel of some sort as well, like a "fake Buster". I am still trying to experiment with its capabilities.

That's amazing. I've just picked it up but didn't know how it could be used. Thanks...you just blew my mind :D

Everdred

I got this game from gamefly yesterday, sent it back today. I played it for about 2.5 hours and I thought the combat was far too button mashy. The plot/cinematics, which I was really excited about, were a let down. However I did enjoy the graphics and art style. It seems to be very well liked, so it must not be a game for me (I loved DMC1 and I love NG games). It seems like the game hasn't changed much from the first, which was totally awesome for its time.

Top Bottom