• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

VaLiancY

MickeyKnox said:
I've decided that there still isn't a moment in DMC3/4 that gives off the same ofmg awesome pump up vibe that the end of the original DMC demo/1st Nero Agelo fight gives. Although 2nd Virgil fight in DMC3 is kinda close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFu_Zmfd47U

I think the closest thing to those two scenarios in DMC4 is the
second Dante fight
. I always like fighting an opponent of the
same "stature"
, not any big, lugging behemoth but people of
near similar abilities and size.

I kinda did overdo the spoilers. :lol

Edit OT - What's the connection here with the ad?:lol

LordK

VaLiancY said:
I think the closest thing to those two scenarios in DMC4 is the
second Dante fight
. I always like fighting an opponent of the
same "stature"
, not any big, lugging behemoth but people of
near similar abilities and size.

I kinda did overdo the spoilers. :lol

Edit OT - What's the connection here with the ad?:lol

I did a quick find for "love." There are a few "I love..." phrases on the page. One of them coming from me... haha.

hteng

Banned
Bebpo said:
That guy who made Credo look like a joke on DMD is insane. I finally beat that battle after a ton of tries and even then I had to just play it slow and defensively chipping him down little by little. In the video it looks like "oh you just got grab those lances and throw them back for your opening" but I tried grabbing them and uh....out of about 20 tries I didn't grab one and if you miss it does like 20% damage or more. >_<

Frog and Snake are pretty easy on DMD IMO, both are slow with predictable patterns. Berial is really hard and Credo is challenging.

hteng & seiken, shoot me a PSN friendlist thing at "bebpojp". I don't have any friends playing on DMD to compare leaderboards with >_<

check your pm, i couldn't add you in PSN

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Just picked up this game saturday, played a few hours, and OMG does this game rock! I loved the fight with the toad-like boss, reminded me of the bosses of old. I like the visual style, it's got a little more shine over it than DMC3 and 1.
Yup, the only problem I have now is how to split my time between this, The Club and Burnout Paradise.

Dahbomb

The lighting in DMC4 puts it so much artistically over the old DMCs. Even the bright areas of the old DMC look really bland but in DMC4 they look really bright and colorful. I know it's next-gen/HD graphics and whatever but it gives the game a more vivid look that it needed stylistically.

I mean just play Bloody Palace on DMC4 and you guys will know what I am talking about. The scenery is just breath-taking.

RyuHayate

Dahbomb said:
The lighting in DMC4 puts it so much artistically over the old DMCs. Even the bright areas of the old DMC look really bland but in DMC4 they look really bright and colorful. I know it's next-gen/HD graphics and whatever but it gives the game a more vivid look that it needed stylistically.

I mean just play Bloody Palace on DMC4 and you guys will know what I am talking about. The scenery is just breath-taking.

QFT.

RyuHayate

I was just re-watching some cut scenes and
I didn't notice until now that Nero flipped Dante off before The Savior consumed him. "What a punk."
:lol

dirtmonkey37 said:
Hehe, that's right! All he wants to do is save that girl. No wonder all his comments were so....eh.

So are Sanctus and co. demons? Or are they angels? God, it's so confusing, especially after Agnus referred to the "armors" as angels earlier on. And why does Sanctus want the demonic power to begin with? He clearly doens't want to destroy humanity as evidenced by when he killed all the demons in the Fortuna-town with his statue to protect the people, telling them (paraphrased) a "new way of life has begun." Arrgh.

He wants to create his own order, in do so - you need power.

Sanctus isn't out to be the next Hitler, but he wants to instill himself when power and forcing people into a faith that utilizes demonic power. Dante's main point was that you shouldn't use demonic power for anything.

The scene with Credo and Nero pretty much illustrates this. Sanctus had everyone believe that they are becoming something more holy -- angles. Dante essentially had to put a stop to this because opening the gates to hell to acquire demonic power (for whatever reason) is a no-no.

This also makes parallels with Vergil. He never wanted to do evil, he just wanted to open the hell-gate to harness more demonic power. So he can rival Sparda.

strange_booj said:
I thought the combat was far too button mashy.

This doesn't make sense considering majority of the ground and air attacks require delayed button timing presses to execute. And the other attacks require a direction, or a set of two directions to perform (back to foward).

See kids, this is why you don't select easy automatic on, and why you choose tutorial on. It's annoying when people choose tutorial off and then bitch about how the game mechanics aren't clear.

Anyway, got a question -- how do you get Lucifer's blades to explode at will? The explosion timer takes too long sometimes.

Anyway, I don't like the 3 weapon swap mechanic. I hate cycling.

It should just be 2 (like in DMC3, 2 sets of melee, 2 sets of guns). So it's back and forth, quickly -- rebellion to lucifer and back again. Shuffling gives it a much longer learning curve until you can comfortably feel the order.

Kyoufu

C- Warrior said:
Anyway, got a question -- how do you get Lucifer's blades to explode at will? The explosion timer takes too long sometimes.

You mean Lock on+back+Melee?

I've got a question. How do these people get crazy ridiculous scores on the rankings? I've S ranked Mission 2 a bitch load of times yet I still can't get anywhere near the top...

hteng

Banned
you can't really button smash if you want to Instant Rev. Maybe you can mash with dante but you'll probably end up whiffing alot

Dahbomb

Kyoufu said:
You mean Lock on+back+Melee?

I've got a question. How do these people get crazy ridiculous scores on the rankings? I've S ranked Mission 2 a bitch load of times yet I still can't get anywhere near the top...
S rank isn't enough, you need be getting SSS combos at nearly every encounter and get nearly all the red orbs in the mission. The time aspect is also crucial. You can also not get hit at all because that gives you insane bonus.

Here is how you should be playing if you wish to tackle the leaderboards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilFwP2g8Vu4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDoaP8sybbo

Anyway, I don't like the 3 weapon swap mechanic. I hate cycling.
It reminds me of the Vergil combat engine in DMC3SE where you went from Yamato, to Beowulf to Force Edge. It took me a long time to get used to it as opposed to Dante's 2 weapon swap but when you get good... you really start busting out the insane shit.

I figured out a combo with Dante that you could suspend enemies in mid-air using Pandorra's Despair move, Drive and then Roundtrip, followed by Kick 13 into Lucifer's Climax move. I even made a combo and then finished with Pandorra's Omen move.

Daante

Finished the game yesterday first time on Devil Hunter.

Overall i thought Dante was waay much more fun to play with than Nero , cause of all the styles and weapons (and ofc since Devil May Cry = DANTE) . Sorry Capcom but Neros Devil Bringer just didnt "do it" for me.
The only thing i can think of right now that made Neros journey cool and a bit fun is when you
encounter all these bosses and use the Devil bringer to bring some sort of scripted attack witch looks awesome and does quite good amount of dps aswell :)

Another thing that really botherd me was all these
"hey-you-enterd-a-new -room-now- we-close-all-the-exits-and-you-MUSH-finish-all-enemies-before-going-in-to-the-next-area"
I think this was CLEARLY HAPPENING TO OFTEN and was done waay much better and with better balance in DMC1 and DMC3:SE. C´mon Capcom you are better than this!! :S

Also i got like "bleh" everytime
i finished a boss with Nero and "okey lets reward the player with a key or something similar rather then new abilites/weapons!" , lame Capcom lame.. Yes you changed this a bit when defeating bosses with Dante but it dosent cover everything up with Nero! :(

Got about the same wibes about playing with Nero as i had with Raiden in MGS2, meaning something like "yeah whatever give me Dante/Snake now please" :S

So i think as it feels right now both DMC1 and DMC3:SE surpass nr 4 as a overall experience. Im not saying DMC4 was bad or anything , heck i enjoyed much of the game and as a DMC franchise fan i think Capcom has made a nice work with number 4 to attract more mainstream/ not DMC players.

I will probably give the harder difficulties a fair chance trying to enjoy the game more than one playtrough , and ofc to see if any cool unlockable characters or features are worth playing for.

Capcom if you read this make Dante MAIN playable character in DMC5 and i would love to see
Vergil return both storywise and playable wise!!

Daante said:
Finished the game yesterday first time on Devil Hunter.

Overall i thought Dante was waay much more fun to play with than Nero , cause of all the styles and weapons (and ofc since Devil May Cry = DANTE) . Sorry Capcom but Neros Devil Bringer just didnt "do it" for me.
The only thing i can think of right now that made Neros journey cool and a bit fun is when you
encounter all these bosses and use the Devil bringer to bring some sort of scripted attack witch looks awesome and does quite good amount of dps aswell :)

Another thing that really botherd me was all these
"hey-you-enterd-a-new -room-now- we-close-all-the-exits-and-you-MUSH-finish-all-enemies-before-going-in-to-the-next-area"
I think this was CLEARLY HAPPENING TO OFTEN and was done waay much better and with better balance in DMC1 and DMC3:SE. C´mon Capcom you are better than this!! :S

Also i got like "bleh" everytime
i finished a boss with Nero and "okey lets reward the player with a key or something similar rather then new abilites/weapons!" , lame Capcom lame.. Yes you changed this a bit when defeating bosses with Dante but it dosent cover everything up with Nero! :(

Got about the same wibes about playing with Nero as i had with Raiden in MGS2, meaning something like "yeah whatever give me Dante/Snake now please" :S

So i think as it feels right now both DMC1 and DMC3:SE surpass nr 4 as a overall experience. Im not saying DMC4 was bad or anything , heck i enjoyed much of the game and as a DMC franchise fan i think Capcom has made a nice work with number 4 to attract more mainstream/ not DMC players.

I will probably give the harder difficulties a fair chance trying to enjoy the game more than one playtrough , and ofc to see if any cool unlockable characters or features are worth playing for.

Capcom if you read this make Dante MAIN playable character in DMC5 and i would love to see
Vergil return both storywise and playable wise!!

I disagree. Nero' was a ton of fun to play. And he's relatively easy to pick up as well.

His arm mechanic is what Capcom should expand in future DMC games.

Everdred

C- Warrior said:
This doesn't make sense considering majority of the ground and air attacks require delayed button timing presses to execute. And the other attacks require a direction, or a set of two directions to perform (back to foward).

See kids, this is why you don't select easy automatic on, and why you choose tutorial on. It's annoying when people choose tutorial off and then bitch about how the game mechanics aren't clear.
FYI I did do the tutorial and I was playing with automatic off.

strange_booj said:

Ok...sure. Whatever.

So ANYWAAAAY, does anyone know if Dante can knock back the 3-pronged fireball the white knights set out?

I know Nero can do it if you buffer a charged at the moment they shoot it at you -- but can Dante to the same with lets a charged coyote' shot?

strange_booj said:

If you weren't having fun just mashing buttons then why did you just mash buttons? The whole point of the game is doing stylish and creative combos.

Daante

C- Warrior said:
I disagree. Nero' was a ton of fun to play. And he's relatively easy to pick up as well.

His arm mechanic is what Capcom should expand in future DMC games.

Well diffrent opinions/taste is always nice :)

I agree that this "mechanic arm" is ONE of the things Capcom should expand,brainstorm new ideas around in future DMC games.
If Nero would have been the only playable character with HIS gameplay from start to finish i think i would have appreciated his stuff more :S .

Though from the moment i got my hans on Dante everything "clicked" the way it had clicked in previous DMC games and i found myself sitting with this "evil-smile" on my face when i played :) , witch i really didnt have when i was playing with Nero. :S

Kyoufu

C- Warrior said:
Ok...sure. Whatever.

So ANYWAAAAY, does anyone know if Dante can knock back the 3-pronged fireball the white knights set out?

I know Nero can do it if you buffer a charged at the moment they shoot it at you -- but can Dante to the same with lets a charged coyote' shot?

Yeah Dante definitely can.

SpokkX

Daante said:
Well diffrent opinions/taste is always nice :)

I agree that this "mechanic arm" is ONE of the things Capcom should expand,brainstorm new ideas around in future DMC games.
If Nero would have been the only playable character with HIS gameplay from start to finish i think i would have appreciated his stuff more :S .

Though from the moment i got my hans on Dante everything "clicked" the way it had clicked in previous DMC games and i found myself sitting with this "evil-smile" on my face when i played :) , witch i really didnt have when i was playing with Nero. :S

One of my main problems with Nero was that he had just one gun. And that it wasn´t that good or cool either (well the charge attack was good but boring..). I would also liked to have had at least two melee weapons with him. I would actually take this over the arm-mechanic.

Overall Nero felt slow and sluggish compared to Dante in DMC3/4.

He really is the new Raiden for me,
especially since you cant replay the game as Dante from the beginning :(

Dyno

I'm on Mission 12 and there has been much to enjoy thus far. Quality-wise it lives up to the series and Nero is a cool character.

I found a recurring crash on Mission 7. I had to start up the PS3 five times to get by this part.

One complaint is that too much of the game is made challenging with point-of-view and control limitations. It seems a bit cheap and leads to undo frustration.

Poor Nero is also the prince of false victory. He beats bosses only for them to pwn him in the cut-scenes.

Can't wait to get into the Dante aspect of the game. I've maxxed out his Trickster and bought the Air-Hike. Loved zipping around up in the air in DMC3.

Sectus

strange_booj said:
I got this game from gamefly yesterday, sent it back today. I played it for about 2.5 hours and I thought the combat was far too button mashy. The plot/cinematics, which I was really excited about, were a let down. However I did enjoy the graphics and art style. It seems to be very well liked, so it must not be a game for me (I loved DMC1 and I love NG games). It seems like the game hasn't changed much from the first, which was totally awesome for its time.
Well, at the start of the game you honeslty don't have much options. You need to play quite a bit before you learn more moves and then the fighting system will start to make more sense. Playing on a higher difficulty helps a lot as well.

The game is definitely not a button masher. If you attempt to win each fight by mindlessly mashing the melee attack you won't get anywhere (well, perhaps it works for Human mode, but higher difficulties will kill you). And if you try to button mash you won't experience the whole stylish system which is an important part of the gameplay.

Thrakier said:
Did anyone finish special mission 3?
i finished em all.

unless you're really good at perfect royal guards, the easiest way to do this is with nero and his aegis shield. grab one of the puppet enemies (or whatever they are) right away and hold the button to use them as a shield. target the frost and taunt. the enemy will get killed so right away grab the other when and repeat. after the 2nd shield gets killed, you'll have to grab a frost as a shield against another frost...you can't hold onto the frost forever like you could with the other guys, but if you're quick enough you should get up to C style for the orb.

game is pretty good...i still feel that nero should have had some additional weapons and guns. realtime switching of weapons, guns, and now styles with dante makes it hard to go back to nero. part of me feels like the devil arm should have just been a style for dante.

i don't really care about getting S's on all stages but i'll still go through and beat this on every difficulty like i did with dmc 1-3 (save hell and hell because that sounds...not fun.)

Danielsan

Thrakier said:
Did anyone finish special mission 3?
Yup, you need to grab the enemies and use them as a shield. The problem is that the scarecrows die after a few hits and the frosts constantly break free from your grip (often at the worst moments). Keep trying and also hit the taunt button like mad.

edit: beaten.

Just started on Son of Sparda. Quick question, does time you spend doing Special Missions effect your time rating for the Mission? I didn't do hardly any of them first time through and I want to get most of them on my second time.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
siamesedreamer said:
Never played a DMC...what things do I need to focus on leveling up? I'm on the 4th level and haven't done anything yet.

I'm wondering this, too. I've purchased "Streak" and the first Red Queen combo in the list ("B" I think it was), but that's it so far. I assume there isn't a way to gimp yourself and just going down the list is an acceptable way of upgrading?

Besides "Streak" is there anything we should purchase ASAP?

Dahbomb

ToyMachine228 said:
Just started on Son of Sparda. Quick question, does time you spend doing Special Missions effect your time rating for the Mission? I didn't do hardly any of them first time through and I want to get most of them on my second time.
I don't think they do, at least they didn't do so in DMC1. But I would still by pass them if going for a rating run.

Some of the name for the Lucifer moves are HILARIOUS!

"Climax", "Bondage", "Ecstasy", "Splash :lol :lol :lol

If that extended euphemism cutscene about Dante's huge penis during the acquisition of Lucifer wasn't enough, the name of the moves seal the deal.

cbodom

you dont really need any abilities, the game is really easy, except some bosses (which are easy once you learn teh patterns)

so dont use any healing ever, learn the boss patterns and beat them without getting hit.

i like streak, run faster?, and the longer grab arm thingy personally but its whatever suits your playing style

btw- you can farm level3 for red souls by just chopping up the red block on the left of start and retry level (beat level 8? first to get devil trigger then do level3 for 20mins to get $$$$)

Dahbomb

Do people here know how you can perform the Final Atomic Buster on the Gold Knights with Nero?

You have to be Devil Triggered and then perform Buster. He does the whole triple suplexes, into izuna drop and then his signature drop kick. Epic stuff.

Junpei Heat

Dahbomb said:
Do people here know how you can perform the Final Atomic Buster on the Gold Knights with Nero?

You have to be Devil Triggered and then perform Buster. He does the whole triple suplexes, into izuna drop and then his signature drop kick. Epic stuff.

I'm pretty sure that's one of Hugo's supers from SF3

Kyoufu

Dahbomb said:

I posted a video of it last week, it made me so happy seeing it. I love the Street Fighter and God Hand moves.

Struct09

Getting this game today for 360, and sorry if this question has already been asked in the thread...

Can I start on a harder difficulty, and if so do I gain achievements of the easier difficulties by doing so?

Kyoufu

Struct09 said:
Getting this game today for 360, and sorry if this question has already been asked in the thread...

Can I start on a harder difficulty, and if so do I gain achievements of the easier difficulties by doing so?

Only two difficulties available at the start, Human (easy) and Devil Hunter (Normal). Have to do each difficulty seperately for the achievements.

Dahbomb said:

My jaw dropped when I first did that.

Big Nate said:
I'm wondering this, too. I've purchased "Streak" and the first Red Queen combo in the list ("B" I think it was), but that's it so far. I assume there isn't a way to gimp yourself and just going down the list is an acceptable way of upgrading?
You can't gimp yourself because you can just cancel your abilities and get all your souls back. Other than streak, the devil bringer length upgrades are nice to have early on, as are the gun upgrades if you can work gun charging into your combat (remap the gun button to something you can hold down while you slash away).

Draft

Working my way through SOS has only confirmed what I suspected as I neared the end of Devil Hunter: after streak (at least 1 level of it) the improved grab is Nero's most important move. Being able to grab enemies is the core of his combat system, and the further away you can do it, the better.

Struct09

Kyoufu said:
Only two difficulties available at the start, Human (easy) and Devil Hunter (Normal). Have to do each difficulty seperately for the achievements.

:(

Is the game boringly easy on Human mode?

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
I can't decide which version to buy. I couldn't stand using the RB as lock-on for 360. However, I usually game on my monitor in my office (360, VGA) instead of living room (where PS3 is). I played both demos, and I liked each minus the RB for the 360.

How do people here hold the 360 controller for this or what button layout do you use?

MCD

LunaticPuma said:
I can't decide which version to buy. I couldn't stand using the RB as lock-on for 360. However, I usually game on my monitor in my office (360, VGA) instead of living room (where PS3 is). I played both demos, and I liked each minus the RB for the 360.

How do people here hold the 360 controller for this or what button layout do you use?
for me, it's RT for lock-on and X for melee attack.

capcom did a good job with the button customization, you can map all buttons to your own preference.

Draft said:
Working my way through SOS has only confirmed what I suspected as I neared the end of Devil Hunter: after streak (at least 1 level of it) the improved grab is Nero's most important move. Being able to grab enemies is the core of his combat system, and the further away you can do it, the better.
Yeah - the whole key to Nero is that he no longer needs guns/teleportation to keep a combo alive, so the more you enhance your ability to do so, the better you'll do.

Kyoufu

McDragon said:
capcom did a good job with the button customization, you can map all buttons to your own preference.

Not exactly. For some reason they don't allow you to have the same action on multiple buttons, which is a bummer for me...

MCD

Kyoufu said:
Not exactly. For some reason they don't allow you to have the same action on multiple buttons, which is a bummer for me...
i never thought about that, but it's no problem for me, one button is enough.

i ended up moving lock on to RT, and moving shoot to LB when playing as nero to use charge shot 3. when playing nero i'll hold down LB with my index finger and use exceed on LT with my middle finger.

I'm digging Nero more because of the Devil Bringer, and maybe even more later when I get a good handle on IR. This is the second DMC where I preferred playing as the character who isn't Dante. (I preferred Virgil in DMC3SE.) As far as I'm concerned, Capcom's put the series in a unique position where Dante no longer has to take center stage for it to continue. It's practically Capcom's Castlevania at this point. They can insert any playable character they wish and the core gameplay is so solid as to remain unfazed by the change. Instead of focusing directly on Dante, the mythology of DMC can take point in driving the story now if Capcom continues going this route. And I think that would be the best thing for the series, as it allows Capcom to invent a new Dante-type character when needed to keep the gameplay fresh while always having the option of including Dante himself for the old-school Belmont trip.

I only rented DMC4 because I had too many questions going into it. Now that I have no issues with the 360 controller, see that Bloody Palace is included, and see that the load times are negligible, I think I'll go ahead and take it off of Gamefly's hands for $20 off retail price.

Edit: I was dreading M19 for two reasons:
1.) Gaining control of Nero again would've been as jarring as gaining control of Dante earlier in the game, and 2.) the inevitable boss rush stage.
Then, I go and S/S/S it on my first try (in DH mode). Hee.

Top Bottom