• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Just tried my first round of Bloody Palace. Used Nero and got to Round 14. I'll definitely be playing it some more. Helps in farming orbs and souls. Will probably give it a shot as Dante next time and see how I fare with both and then commit to getting as far as I can with that character. Got an S on Mission 2 on SoS. Woot.

Draft

LunaticPuma said:
I can't decide which version to buy. I couldn't stand using the RB as lock-on for 360. However, I usually game on my monitor in my office (360, VGA) instead of living room (where PS3 is). I played both demos, and I liked each minus the RB for the 360.

How do people here hold the 360 controller for this or what button layout do you use?
I use the default controls, except I've switched LB and X so I can charge shots in combos.

The "problems" with the X360 controller are greatly exaggerated. Holding and releasing the RB for combo purposes has not been an issue for me at all. What has been an issue is applying pressure to LB while doing instarevs, and I don't know if that's a X360 controller issue, or just a problem with my hands, as it's something I never did on the PS2 controller in previous DMC games.

edit: I hold the 360 with the same claw technique I use for the Dualshock in previous DMC games. Index and Middle finger of each hand curved around the top. My middle fingers are more straight than they would be with a dualshock to accommodate the height of the triggers relative to the face of the controller, but otherwise the grip is the same.

GrayFoxPL

Got the game today (Euro) and yep it is great.

I loved when after beating 2nd boss
you get the "Rusalka corpse". Someone's been digging into Slavic myths! :D

Woah, buying skills is harder then dmc3 thanks to progressive price for skills.

Lots more level replaying because of that too.

Funny thing is thanks to that you have shitload of red souls to buy items but you feel lame doing so as it's proves your lack of skill :lol .

Tomorrow morning I'll focus on replaying the second boss mission, it's awesome and I need proud souls.

LunaticPuma said:
I can't decide which version to buy. I couldn't stand using the RB as lock-on for 360. However, I usually game on my monitor in my office (360, VGA) instead of living room (where PS3 is). I played both demos, and I liked each minus the RB for the 360.

How do people here hold the 360 controller for this or what button layout do you use?
At least for me this works really great. Lock-on on RT/Melee on X/Gun on Y. One thing to remember is that all moves on skill lists are shown with default control configuration.

Last night I started playing Dante. I really miss Nero and his Devil Bringer.

I've found myself enjoying a more strategic usage of DT now because of Nero's Buster. Being able to flip it on for just a quick second to clear out crowds or hit DT Buster throws is just slick. Dante's missing his DT Burst, though. :(

Kyoufu

I'm confused regarding the story. Can anyone shed some light?

When Nero gets Devil Trigger in the scene that plays after the Agnus 1 fight, he says "From that day forth, my arm changed, a voice "power...give me more..POWER!". This implies that his arm was normal until a certain day. In Mission 20's ending scene (before you finish off the Savior, he says "You know God, I always hated that you made my arm like this" implying that he was born with it. Which is it?

KdoubleA

Toonami 99 said:
and without snatch, I hated chasing after an enemy after a stinger.

You can follow up with a Stinger/Million Stab and cancel it with an air juggle or something before you throw the enemy away again. Also if they're not too far, you can follow up with Gilgamesh's (R1/RB + FWD + /\ / Y) or with (R1/RB + FWD + O/ B) if you have Swordmaster maxed....You can also simply Trickster Dash towards them.

Nero's Devil Bringer gameplay is a lot more approachable and convenient in such situations but what makes me like Dante alot is how deep his moveset is that there are many ways to follow up on an enemy...It just takes a bit more practice than Nero.

I couldn't imagine what Dante would be like if Capcom gave him something like the Devil Bringer...Hmm..Maybe add it as a new move for Gilgamesh? Then have a cutscene with Dante teasing Nero that he can do it too :D

llTll

Banned
um i need some help. i am stuck in this room where i need to put 4 statues to open something. there is 2 already inside. 1 i was able to get. there is one statues covered behind some sort of cage or something. whats up?

KdoubleA

llTll said:
um i need some help. i am stuck in this room where i need to put 4 statues to open something. there is 2 already inside. 1 i was able to get. there is one statues covered behind some sort of cage or something. whats up?

Dont put the 3rd one in just yet...Use it to break the cage that's blocking the 4th one
....Btw, you're talking about the Gyro Blades, right?

EekTheKat

Kyoufu said:

When Nero gets Devil Trigger in the scene that plays after the Agnus 1 fight, he says "From that day forth, my arm changed, a voice "power...give me more..POWER!". This implies that his arm was normal until a certain day. In Mission 20's ending scene (before you finish off the Savior, he says "You know God, I always hated that you made my arm like this" implying that he was born with it. Which is it?

To me it sounded like
he was born with the arm, but it didn't manifest itself until later. Something like the "devil" within him didn't wake up until that certain day came around.

eznark

Banned
anyone know how well this is selling on the PS3? I just checked my gamefly account and was pretty shocked to see that it is listed as "available now" and is shipping to me today.

Seems off for such a large title?

llTll

Banned
KdoubleA said:
Dont put the 3rd one in just yet...Use it to break the cage that's blocking the 4th one
....Btw, you're talking about the Gyro Blades, right?

umm yes but i tried to break the cage with it. no use. its not breaking. i hit the statues so it can spin. then i punch it. to the cage. but no use.

Kyoufu said:

As far as I can tell this is a huge story hole.
In the beginning, Nero is wearing a cast, and Kyrie tells him that he hasn't fully recovered yet. I assume that something happened to his arm to make it what it is. It's never explained. As the story progresses we learn that the arm is indeed demonic power, and Nero has some connection with Virgil, and apparently has the blood of Sparda in him. None of this is ever explained. How he gets the arm in the first place, his connection with Virgil, none of it. My only disappointments in the game really.

KdoubleA

llTll said:
umm yes but i tried to break the cage with it. no use. its not breaking. i hit the statues so it can spin. then i punch it. to the cage. but no use.

Wait, when you say "cage", do you mean the hall with the fence like wall and there's a Gyro Blade and a blue switch in there? If that's the case, then you need to get in that room by going through one of the doors at the other side of the hall way...
The gyro blade in that room is the third one; use it to smash the barrier infront of the fourth one at the other end of the hallway....It should work....Atleast, that's how I did it

Kyoufu

ToyMachine228 said:
As far as I can tell this is a huge story hole.
In the beginning, Nero is wearing a cast, and Kyrie tells him that he hasn't fully recovered yet. I assume that something happened to his arm to make it what it is. It's never explained. As the story progresses we learn that the arm is indeed demonic power, and Nero has some connection with Virgil, and apparently has the blood of Sparda in him. None of this is ever explained. How he gets the arm in the first place, his connection with Virgil, none of it. My only disappointments in the game really.

You should edit your spoiler tags but yeah I agree, they didn't explain any of it hence why I don't like the story as much as DMC1 and 3's.

llTll

Banned
KdoubleA said:
Wait, when you say "cage", do you mean the hall with the fence like wall and there's a Gyro Blade and a blue switch in there? If that's the case, then you need to get in that room by going through one of the doors at the other side of the hall way...
The gyro blade in that room is the third one; use it to smash the barrier infront of the fourth one at the other end of the hallway....It should work....Atleast, that's how I did it

now that sounds good. but what door are we talking about. the only close door to it is the diner room door. but there is friggin fire that keep spitting all the time i die if i touch it. tried everything else but no use.

there is also coffen in the middle of the castle. i explided it with one of the statues but i didnt get anything from it. just a sign on the floor that i need to do something to it later or something

KdoubleA

llTll said:

now that sounds good. but what door are we talking about. the only close door to it is the diner room door. but there is friggin fire that keep spitting all the time i die if i touch it. tried everything else but no use.

there is also coffen in the middle of the castle. i explided it with one of the statues but i didnt get anything from it. just a sign on the floor that i need to do something to it later or something

Use a Gyro Blade (I dont remember where exactly it was...In the dining room?)
as a shield to block you from the spitting fireballs; move through there and that will eventually get you around the castle to the room with the Gyro Blade and the blue switch

llTll

Banned
KdoubleA said:
Use a Gyro Blade (I dont remember where exactly it was...In the dining room?)
as a shield to block you from the spitting fireballs; move through there and that will eventually get you around the castle to the room with the Gyro Blade and the blue switch
got it.

thanks mister

Kyoufu

DLC/SE request:

Boss Gauntlet for Dante (without the crappy dice gimmick). Boss fights with Dante and his Trickster style are just way too much fun.

Dave1988

GrayFoxPL said:
psxextreme!

They sent it on friday(launch day). They're always fast and reliable.

They even have pretty spot on release dates on preorders before official dates are posted on gaf :D.

Ah, Thanks. I was thinking of getting DMC4 from them at first but I decided that I want the CE so I have to wait a bit more.

Bebpo

Banned
How the fuck do you do secret mission 7? It seems like the only way you can dodge the hits from the mephistos that will knock you off the platform is to jump. But when you jump others will hit you in the air and knock you off.

Even if there were NO enemies it'd still be a tough mission because of the fast platforming towards the end. Doing that with infinite respawning enemies is such BS. I've been trying for 30 mins now with no luck. Maybe I should just wait until I have super Nero.

Kyoufu

Bebpo said:
How the fuck do you do secret mission 7? It seems like the only way you can dodge the hits from the mephistos that will knock you off the platform is to jump. But when you jump others will hit you in the air and knock you off.

Even if there were NO enemies it'd still be a tough mission because of the fast platforming towards the end. Doing that with infinite respawning enemies is such BS. I've been trying for 30 mins now with no luck. Maybe I should just wait until I have super Nero.

You can try molesting one of them until their cloak is removed, then use hold (aegis shield) which'll help ward of attacks. Of course that means timing it so that the hold is performed near the end.

That part of the game is my most hated segment. :/

edit: forgot about the dash->leap->calibur trick. Seems like the easiest way.

dralla

you don't even need to go on the tiles. just wait for them to appear in front of the blue orb piece, than streak, air hike, calibur over to them and pick up the orb piece. the mephisto's won't even spawn

Just tried my hand at Bloody Palace as Dante and then Nero and I've decided I'm better as Nero. As Nero I use the Devil Bringer to keep myself engaged in combat whereas as Dante I find myself using Ebony & Ivory at a distance. Just from the way I play I'll do better in Bloody Palace as Nero. Got to Round 17.

Danielsan

Bebpo said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlnlnwlTSX4 That's how I did it. Took a couple of tries but it was easier than getting raped by those Mephistos while standing on a single small square.

Junpei Heat

Bebpo said:

I made the Mephistos appear and fought them on the stairs,there are 5-6 of them.After that just make the platforms appear again.This is probably the slowest way.

Bebpo said:

As the post above me said, screw the platforms at first. There is a way to just float over everything but that might be too hard. What I did was activate the switch and just stand there watching the platforms go by. Eventually the platforms come all the way back close to the beginning, jump onto it and the enemies will spawn. There is one section where one edge of the platform is facing the blue orb, I just ran all the way to the edge, jumped, did the air streak, air hiked, and got to it before the enemies could do anything.

Is it just me, or is the hardest thing in the game the stupid little devil bringer platforming section in Mission 3? You know where you gotta use the DB to traverse a room with a spiked ceiling.

I suck at it hardcore.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Wait, did someone say this game is "too button mashy"?

Whoa. Every combo, every move, everything I do and execute is not because of a random sequence of buttons I press. I know when and where I want to attack someone.

Like I said earlier: Automatic is LAAAAAAME.

fistfulofmetal said:
Is it just me, or is the hardest thing in the game the stupid little devil bringer platforming section in Mission 3? You know where you gotta use the DB to traverse a room with a spiked ceiling.

I suck at it hardcore.

Just time it. Don't just hit the buttons at random, otherwise you will fall through.

DiddyBop

just started playing with dante and wow,he is a lot more skilled and faster than nero.capcom did a good job at not only showing their difference in power during cutscenes but also during gameplay. I suck as doin combos with dante though since i was so used to nero.

fistfulofmetal said:

I suck at it hardcore.

At first I did, the key is not hesitate at all in the air or you will be sent into the spikes. You need to wait till everything is lined up so you can quickly DB across, again do it as fast as you can.

reilo said:
Just time it. Don't just hit the buttons at random, otherwise you will fall through.

Well I know that, but I still suck at it.
Doesn't help that I'm playing on SoS so it's harder.

Anyway, the level is perfect for farming for orbs. Just keep failing and you get more enemies!

Danielsan

ToyMachine228 said:
Just tried my hand at Bloody Palace as Dante and then Nero and I've decided I'm better as Nero. As Nero I use the Devil Bringer to keep myself engaged in combat whereas as Dante I find myself using Ebony & Ivory at a distance. Just from the way I play I'll do better in Bloody Palace as Nero. Got to Round 17.
Got your ass handed to you by the Blitz didn't you :p
Today I gave Bloody Palace a shot with Dante figuring it would be easier to take care of Blitzes due to his superior firearms (and I have yet to aquire chargeshot 3 with Nero). I managed to get to round 25 but damn the second layer is crazy, it seems like every round has a blitz and trust me you don't want them around when there's also Frosts and Blades/Assaults aiming for your ass

SpokkX

I can´t believe seasoned DMC players are not disappionted with Nero. Sure he can hold a combo.. but in about 1 way -> using that arm. His lack of several weapons is really boring.

Dante >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nero

Doesnt anyone agree? Or am I missing something with Nero? (finished it on Devil hunter)

maskrider

Bebpo said:

I use Dante, air hike with Trickster when I'm at one of the early tiles that is closest to the blue orb.

I saw a player use Pandora, but some can use Nero to do it without touching the platforms if I remember correctly.

Some people walk outside to attract all the memphisto to the place you start and kill them all.

Zophar

fistfulofmetal said:

I suck at it hardcore.
Wait till you get there in SOS mode.

Kyoufu

fistfulofmetal said:
Well I know that, but I still suck at it.
Doesn't help that I'm playing on SoS so it's harder.

Anyway, the level is perfect for farming for orbs. Just keep failing and you get more enemies!

lol yeah, it was annoying on DH mode and it was definitely annoying on SoS mode. I find the disappearing block platform jumping more annoying on M7.

And if you want to farm orbs, you can get 6k or so in less than a minute on M3, just use DT on the orb crystal at the start of the mission, retry mission, rinse and repeat. You can kill the enemies there too for some proud souls aswell.

fistfulofmetal said:

I suck at it hardcore.

I got hurt twice because I tried to rush past it. Seriously actually use a brain for 2 seconds and its easy as hell though. Just requires patience and timing.

SpokkX said:
I can´t believe seasoned DMC players are not disappionted with Nero. Sure he can hold a combo.. but in about 1 way -> using that arm. His lack of several weapons is really boring.

Doesnt anyone agree? Or am I missing something with Nero? (finished it on Devil hunter)

Nero could benefit from more weapons, but I-Reving nearly every attack in a combo, then hitting a Reved shuffled to a buster is the most satisfying thing in the game. Dante is great, he really is, but his combat is no where near as fluid as Nero.
I also don't think Dante's weapons are nearly as good as in 3. Never been a fan of the melee weapons ala Beowulf/Ifrit/Gilgamesh and Lucifer... I still don't really get that thing. Reminds me of Nevan.

Danielsan

SpokkX said:

Sorry but Nero>DMC4 Dante. Dante is pretty much broken in DMC4. The instant weaponswitching doesn't work when there is 3 devil arms and 3 firearms on one button. His moves have been gimped and the amount of weapons is pretty poor. Nero may not have more moves or weapons but the Devil Bringer and Instant Rev mechanic more than make up for it and provide an overall more fluid combat experience.

SpokkX said:

Well I think Nero is good too just not as good as Dante. I agree with you that Dante is the better character and i don't get the whole Nero movement we are now getting, the gameplay should remain like Dante's its what sets DMC apart from other action games.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, that Dante method in the video is ridiculously easy. I wish I knew that an hour ago >_<.

Also the mission 10 boss fight in DMD is insane. He can even get out of air busters and own you with an air combo. The only time I could do any real damage was with DT. The rest of the time was just trying to survive until I got some DT back.

Top Bottom