• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

j-wood

SpokkX said:
I can´t believe seasoned DMC players are not disappionted with Nero. Sure he can hold a combo.. but in about 1 way -> using that arm. His lack of several weapons is really boring.

Dante >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nero

Doesnt anyone agree? Or am I missing something with Nero? (finished it on Devil hunter)

I'm with you, and I haven't even gotten to the Dante section yet (on Mission 11 now). Nero is cool, but the fact that there is basically one move with that arm and no additional weapons kinda blows. I mean seriously, how hard would it have been to give the arm more moves? It has alot of potential, more so than the beowulf gauntlets from DMC3.

Bebpo said:
How the fuck do you do secret mission 7? It seems like the only way you can dodge the hits from the mephistos that will knock you off the platform is to jump. But when you jump others will hit you in the air and knock you off.

Even if there were NO enemies it'd still be a tough mission because of the fast platforming towards the end. Doing that with infinite respawning enemies is such BS. I've been trying for 30 mins now with no luck. Maybe I should just wait until I have super Nero.
there is an really easy way

1.wait for the platforms to reach the blue orb
2.streak off the starting ground (where you activated the platforms)
3.air hike
4.calibur
5.profit
and you didnt even fight the enemy
video is here

Gowans

mission 12 or 13 with the purple smoke and backtracking UG!!! lost lost lost!!!

cant be arsed with that tonight, maybe later.

maskrider said:
I use Dante, air hike with Trickster when I'm at one of the early tiles that is closest to the blue orb.

I saw a player use Pandora, but some can use Nero to do it without touching the platforms if I remember correctly.

Some people walk outside to attract all the memphisto to the place you start and kill them all.
yup, by far the easiest way is to just use pandora's argument form with a full disatser gauge to float over there. kind of cheating :p

fistfulofmetal said:
I also don't get the love I once heard for Pandora.

I think I've used it... once.

Maybe thats why you don't like Dante much. :p

I think Dante is every bit as good as he was in DMC3, instant style changes adds so much, it will be painful to go back without it. Sure the weapon list is not as good but what he has here is great and having everything at your figertips feels, i dont know, powerful. The problem is that this game was not designed for Dante, don't take that out on him. He still plays better, has better mechanics, weapons, moves, all that good action stuff, they just needed to showcase it better.

Bebpo said:
How the fuck do you do secret mission 7? It seems like the only way you can dodge the hits from the mephistos that will knock you off the platform is to jump. But when you jump others will hit you in the air and knock you off.

Even if there were NO enemies it'd still be a tough mission because of the fast platforming towards the end. Doing that with infinite respawning enemies is such BS. I've been trying for 30 mins now with no luck. Maybe I should just wait until I have super Nero.

There's a super easy way to do this. Activate the platforms then run onto the first one until the enemies spawn. Jump back onto solid ground and kill the mephistos. Only 6 of them will appear. After that just actiavte the platforms again and handle the jumps in peace.

Kyoufu

I just realised that it wasn't a wall-run that I did, but a Mustang (trickster move) off an enemy and up the wall..

So badass. Trickster LOVE!

Danielsan

chaoticprout said:
Just started mission 13

Gilgamesh is freakin sweet. Do i get more melee weapons w/ dante (yes or no please ;) )
Well you get one more Devil Arm but it's a sort of a ranged weapon.

Spruchy

Game beat, all blue orbs and secret missions. On to SoS and then hopefully ill have enough proud souls to start bloody palace.

Great game A+ would play again.

Danielsan

gamerecks said:
I have a question, how does
lucifer
do damage? I seem to load guys up with projectiles, but it doesnt do much if any damage.
Lockon+stick backward + attack and Dante throws a rose which then causes all the swords to explode.

Kyoufu

gamerecks said:
I have a question, how does
lucifer
do damage? I seem to load guys up with projectiles, but it doesnt do much if any damage.

You can do the 3-4 preset combos available (shows you how in the library section under Dante's Actions).

Mojovonio

Banned
So finally got it.

They only had the 360 version in, so I rented that one, though I wanted to play it on PS3.

I got used to using the 360 controller pretty fast. Switch lock-on to RT.

Playing through it on Human first to level up before I go through each difficulty.

Dibbz

Anyone got tips on how to fight
Blitz
in the bloody palace? I can seem to get his gaurd down in time, since he is jumping all over the place constantly. I tried charged shots, lvl 1 E&I and DT shots. Managed to get him down once, but he ragained his gaurd and I ran out of time. :/ This is with Dante btw. Kicks Nero's ass :p

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Dibbz said:
Blitz
in the bloody palace? I can seem to get his gaurd down in time, since he is jumping all over the place constantly. I tried charged shots, lvl 1 E&I and DT shots. Managed to get him down once, but he ragained his gaurd and I ran out of time. :/ This is with Dante btw. Kicks Nero's ass :p

Lvl 3 BR shots with Nero.
Charged shottie shots with Dante.

Lower his electricity, lay waste, turns red, turn tail.

Only way I've been able to fell him once red was with Lucifer. Forward attack x3, creating 15 swords, then at the best opportunity, SM's O. And hope.

j-wood

Well, after my previous post I decided I would get to beat mission 11 and get to Dante.

I was so much more excited to be playing as Dante again than I was when I started the game with Nero(I was pretty excited at the beginning, because Nero seemed pretty cool).

Dante is just so much more fun to play, I just did a mission with him. Switching styles instantly is flat out amazing. The sword combos are plentiful. I went ahead and upgraded swordmaster to level 3, and after one mission I already have more combos than I did with nero through 11 missions.

Character wise, Dante wins hands down. I swear if I hear Nero
sob and cry one more time...
:lol

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Mojovonio said:
So finally got it.

They only had the 360 version in, so I rented that one, though I wanted to play it on PS3.

I got used to using the 360 controller pretty fast. Switch lock-on to RT.

Playing through it on Human first to level up before I go through each difficulty.

Girly girl.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
fistfulofmetal said:
You'll see what we mean when you start with Dante. He isn't as good as he was in DMC3.
I think he's even better. Instant style switching adds more to Dante than the missing 2 melee weapons.

I'll also say that Pandora is the first firearm in this series I prefer over Ebony & Ivory.

Dibbz said:
Blitz
if you're having trouble getting rid of his lightning with dante, the omen move with pandora (lvl 3 gunslinger) will drain it in 1 hit, even with a completely empty disaster gauge. you don't even need to finish the move...just get close and whack him with the case and his shield is gone.

edit: at least that worked on devil hunter...i'm not sure about bloody palace or SoS.

Maggot9

Banned
j-wood said:
I swear if I hear Nero
sob and cry one more time...
:lol
More like "If I ever see Nero look in awe as he raises his arm and looks at it as if he's never seen it in his life".

Yes, Nero, the fucking thing is attached to you. haven't you come to grips with it YET?

Dibbz

reilo said:
Girly girl.
hah. It's true the game isn't that hard :lol

Although when I completed it, at the end something poped up. Iit went really quickly though whilst it was showing me what I had unlocked, after the credits. Said something like you're a casual gamer or something. Think it was because I ended up with a D overall :( Wasn't my fault though, I was just rushing through it because I hated some of the end levels. My total results show that the last 5 or 6 levels ended up with D's :/

Shoho

Banned
two Qs...:

1)is the story any good? I liked the story in DMC3 because it was entertaining. the anime was so bad though that I wanted to die.

2)How exactly is the replay value? is there new costumes to unlock or something?

Danielsan

Shoho said:
two Qs...:

1)is the story any good? I liked the story in DMC3 because it was entertaining. the anime was so bad though that I wanted to die.

2)How exactly is the replay value? is there new costumes to unlock or something?
The story is shit, nowhere near DMC3 however the cutscenes are very entertaining.

Replay value is through the roof if you like being challenged. No extra costumes with the exception of Super Dante and Super Nero.

Dibbz

Dunno if anyone has saw the secret ending. I asumed that there would be one, since you get to play during the credits like in DMC 3.

Somone has uploaded it to gametrailers.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/174701.html

That video has just reminded me that Lady was pretty much missing throughout the entire game, minus one or two cutscenes. Considering her role in 3 I would have though she would have played a bigger part in this game.

Capcom had had everything at their disposal, they should have really shown each character doing something atleast. Like this I have the impression that Trish did nothing much, Lady did nothing at all and Dante was the only person doing something. Felt wierd considering how many main characters the game has.

I too was disappointed by the lack of
Lady
. I really hope DMC5 is all about Dante and his sidekicks and their wisecracking adventures.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Ninja Kn1ght said:
I too was disappointed by the lack of
Lady
. I really hope DMC5 is all about Dante and his sidekicks and their wisecracking adventures.

DMC5, Dante enchanced, Nero enchanced, Lady, Trish, Vergil returns, all full deep playable characters.

*swoons*

Darkpen

Banned
whatever DMC5 Lady and Trish gameplay goty 2010. It can be like the anime, or something, but better :lol

Anyways, just to remind the PS3 owners posting in this thread, go post your PSN ID (and make sure to make some room on your friends list) to compare scores on DMC4 (because you know you'll never compare to those damn Japanese)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237767

dralla

6 Missions into SoS mode, all S ranks so far. guess I'll be going for an all S run :D

Why aren't all my scores uploading, I should be #20 on Mission 6, but it's not there :[ I would be the only American in the Top 20

j-wood

I'll go ahead and tell you guys, that the plot for DMC5 will probably be about how Nero gets the Devil Bringer.

I mean, can't you just see them going that route?

Naeblish

chaoticprout said:
Whats the trick with the DB?
If you smash it with Buster, the number that was on top will be the outcome. It rotates fairly quickly, but in the same sequence, so if you memorize the number that comes before the number you need, you're good to go.

Glad i read that tip here, i probably wouldn't have a controller left without it.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Finally getting around to playing this. I'm of two minds about it.

- I adore the combat system. I haven't hit Dante yet, but I find myself just replaying missions for more orbs to unlock stuff (and try for better ranks, but I'm not too concerned). It's just damn fun. I hit my first SSS and it felt so good.

- I dislike everything else. So far (mission 5-6) I can see where GT is coming from in their review. When the combat system is this good, everything else is crud in comparison. I don't like the puzzles, I don't like the camera and all of the minor cutscenes are getting annoying. The big cutscenes are neat and such. No problems there, but everything sans the combat is really starting to feel old and I'm not even that far into the game.

But oh the combat, how I love thee and your hand cramping ways.

Zzoram

I'm having so much fun with Dante, I'm going to be annoyed when Nero comes back. Dante is so powerful, mission 15 was a breeze and the cutscene was :lol

Zzoram

SnakeXs said:
Zing.

Team Devil had to outdo Itagaki yet again. 1upped on the next gen boob physics 4tw.

Actually, I was a bit disappointed. After all the comments in this thread, I thought they were going to do some insane jiggling, but they barely moved compared to those DOAX2 gametrailers videos :lol

Top Bottom