• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

dralla

SnakeXs said:
Zing.

Team Devil had to outdo Itagaki yet again. 1upped on the next gen boob physics 4tw.

thats why im glad they're not a big part of the game, they were fine the way they were.

score uploaded, #20 on Mission 06, SoS :] go america!

Hmm, I'm not very good with Dante yet, just got
Gilgamesh - pure awesomeness
, starting to get to grips with switching styles as well, Trickster is a lot more useful than I assumed it to be, got my 2nd A on my last mission of the night (mission 14 - 2nd on my friend leaderboard woo), S for time, if only I was more stylish with Dante, oh well, that will happen eventually I guess, I am missing the Devil Buster though for finishers.

Zzoram

What are the best Dante attacks for
fighting Blitz? I just use shotgun until it drops it's charge, but there must be a faster way

Crovax33

I'm finding that my damage dealing with Dante is significantly poorer than with Nero. Do any of you vets have any tips?

In mission 14 when fighting those flying ghosts it took me about 5x as long to kill them without the snatch move. I feel like I can barely hit them...

I've upgraded Swordmaster style all the way, and bought two upgrades for trickster and gunslinger styles.

Zzoram

Darkflight said:
Hmm, I'm not very good with Dante yet, just got
Gilgamesh - pure awesomeness
, starting to get to grips with switching styles as well, Trickster is a lot more useful than I assumed it to be, got my 2nd A on my last mission of the night (mission 14 - 2nd on my friend leaderboard woo), S for time, if only I was more stylish with Dante, oh well, that will happen eventually I guess, I am missing the Devil Buster though for finishers.

Dante's combos are all cooler than Nero's busters, and they require more effort to pull off, but are so satisfying.

Dibbz

My friends leaderboards don't work properly. Mission 1 has no one on it, then mission 2 has one guy on it, but all my other friends who are about half way through the game don't show up at all.

Anyways PSN is Dibbz but I've been focusing on bloody palace, my mission ranks suck :(

I need some advice. Should I continue with bloody palace, try to get better ranks in DH or start SoS?

Zzoram

Crovax33 said:
I'm finding that my damage dealing with Dante is significantly poorer than with Nero. Do any of you vets have any tips?

In mission 14 when fighting those flying ghosts it took me about 5x as long to kill them without the snatch move. I feel like I can barely hit them...

I've upgraded Swordmaster style all the way, and bought two upgrades for trickster and gunslinger styles.

Use shotgun vs the wraiths, when they fall to the ground, streak into them (or whatever Dante's streak is called), then use the Swordmaster combo on it (RB+forward+mash the former devil bringer button repeatedly). That combo is so key for damage/style points.

Dibbz said:
My friends leaderboards don't work properly. Mission 1 has no one on it, then mission 2 has one guy on it, but all my other friends who are about half way through the game don't show up at all.

Anyways PSN is Dibbz but I've been focusing on bloody palace, my mission ranks suck :(

I need some advice. Should I continue with bloody palace, try to get better ranks in DH or start SoS?

Your friends wont show up unless they are ranked, the ranks seem to go up to a certain number, if they are not within that number you wont see them.

Do all three, thats what I am doing.

I'm terrible at this game. Any tips for a newbie to the series?
I'm playing devil hunter, not automatic and I'm on level 5. It's not like I'm stuck, I'm just getting bad scores on the levels and have not once gotten an "S" combo.

Zzoram said:
Use shotgun vs the wraiths, when they fall to the ground, streak into them (or whatever Dante's streak is called), then use the Swordmaster combo on it (RB+forward+mash the former devil bringer button repeatedly). That combo is so key for damage/style points.

Or gilgamesh foward circle, that does big damage too. Or just do back and circle with gilgamesh and you will destroy almost anything, takes a while to load up but they don't move much.

RiZ III

CosmicGroinPull said:
I think Kyrie really looks like this AV star I've discovered recently.
especially with Kyrie's hair down towards the end
coincidence? :lol
dmc4.jpg

kirara asuka

time to search for some kirara vids >_>

Zzoram

SnakeswithLasers said:
I'm terrible at this game. Any tips for a newbie to the series?
I'm playing devil hunter, not automatic and I'm on level 5. It's not like I'm stuck, I'm just getting bad scores on the levels and have not once gotten an "S" combo.

Tips with Nero are keep practicing your Instant Rev (tapping LT or L2 at the right time during your sword slashes to instantly fill 1 of your Exceed bars so your next sword slash is on fire and does extra damage and gives you more style points), mix up attacks (repeating the same one too many times in a row slows or stops style point gains), and use the Devil Bringer more. Use it to bring enemies to you, to get behind Angelos, and use Buster to finish off enemies.

Do something like, Streak into the enemy, do a slash, slash, slash, slash combo, high roller, slash, slash, slash, split, buster.

Zzoram

MiamiWesker said:
Or gilgamesh foward circle, that does big damage too. Or just do back and circle with gilgamesh and you will destroy almost anything, takes a while to load up but they don't move much.

Is Gilgamesh any good vs Blitz? Is anything good vs Blitz?

Zzoram said:
Is Gilgamesh any good vs Blitz? Is anything good vs Blitz?

If you can get a back + circle hit on him yes its good, but he does move around so its hard as hell. With Blitz I just have my DT ready and go nuts with everything I have, anything that can keep me close while doing big damage.

Sectus

What control scheme do you guys use? After watching a video of a really good player playing DMC4 it seems obvious you need the gun attack to be binded to one of the trigger buttons. What would you guys recommend? It's hard to find a control scheme which feels comfortable with the gun attack being on one of the triggers. I hate using more than 2 fingers for the shoulder buttons :p

Dibbz

RiZ III said:
time to search for some kirara vids >_>
My thoughts exactely.

Blitz arn't that hard to fight, just take a lot of time since they hop around quite a lot. Advice from a page or so back said to use Shotgun charged with Dante to get his electricity down. Once it's down just lay into him. I can get a nice combo going with Reblion switching over to Gilamesh that can deal some damage.

Does anyone else here like
Dark Slayer
or whatever its called. Its R1, Forward/Back, O attacks are amazing. Does quite a bit of damage, send the enemies flying and covers a large area. Good all round, although its takes a second or so to actually get the attack started.

Dibbz said:
Does anyone else here like
Dark Slayer
or whatever its called. Its R1, Forward/Back, O attacks are amazing. Does quite a bit of damage, send the enemies flying and covers a large area. Good all round, although its takes a second or so to actually get the attack started.

Its the best weapon to use against the armors, just hit circle over and over and they just stand there blocking until their shield goes out.

Zzoram said:
Tips with Nero are keep practicing your Instant Rev (tapping LT or L2 at the right time during your sword slashes to instantly fill 1 of your Exceed bars so your next sword slash is on fire and does extra damage and gives you more style points), mix up attacks (repeating the same one too many times in a row slows or stops style point gains), and use the Devil Bringer more. Use it to bring enemies to you, to get behind Angelos, and use Buster to finish off enemies.

Do something like, Streak into the enemy, do a slash, slash, slash, slash combo, high roller, slash, slash, slash, split, buster.

Ah, thanks =) Is buster the throw? (sorry if that's completely retarded)

Zzoram

SnakeswithLasers said:
Ah, thanks =) Is buster the throw? (sorry if that's completely retarded)

Buster is the slam, ya. It's what happens when you press the Devil Bringer button when you're not locked on.

The best part about insta-reving Nero's slashes is that not only do they do more damage, but they load up your style bar like crazy. I miss it more than the Devil Bringer when playing with Dante.

Naeblish

Sectus said:
What control scheme do you guys use? After watching a video of a really good player playing DMC4 it seems obvious you need the gun attack to be binded to one of the trigger buttons. What would you guys recommend? It's hard to find a control scheme which feels comfortable with the gun attack being on one of the triggers. I hate using more than 2 fingers for the shoulder buttons :p
I second that question, for 360 plz. Just finished on DH and would now like to master the game, as far as i can :p.

Also, do you guys recommend triggers or shoulder buttons for lock-on? I have been using the right trigger all along, but i'm now starting to feel the trigger isn't fast enough for the quick snatching between combo's.

Zzoram

greatestjediever said:
The best part about insta-reving Nero's slashes is that not only do they do more damage, but they load up your style bar like crazy. I miss it more than the Devil Bringer when playing with Dante.

I find it easier to build up style points as Dante actually, and his combos look cooler too. IR is too distracting for me, and I can't pull it off as often as I'd like.

I3rand0

RyuHayate said:
Dante's lvl. 4 Swordmaster is fucking nuts. His macabre raises your ranking to a B after it's done.

Yeah that combo is ridiculous. I've hit multiple mobs before and gone from S to SSS.

Dibbz said:
Dunno if anyone has saw the secret ending. I asumed that there would be one, since you get to play during the credits like in DMC 3.

Somone has uploaded it to gametrailers.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/174701.html

That video has just reminded me that Lady was pretty much missing throughout the entire game, minus one or two cutscenes. Considering her role in 3 I would have though she would have played a bigger part in this game.

Capcom had had everything at their disposal, they should have really shown each character doing something atleast. Like this I have the impression that Trish did nothing much, Lady did nothing at all and Dante was the only person doing something. Felt wierd considering how many main characters the game has.

Thanks for that, something told me to watch the end credits all the way through, but when you have children other things override your ability to actually do all the things you'd like to do. Telling the wife to hold on while I watch a cut scene just wasn't ging to hack it with a screaming 13 month old. <sigh>...........

I wonder if the cinema is unlocked even though I beat the game?

RyuHayate said:
Dante's lvl. 4 Swordmaster is fucking nuts. His macabre raises your ranking to a B after it's done.

Bloody Palace= big love

It has a nice long finish at the end as well, so its not something you use when there are a lot of enemies but it ends the fight with style.

Bebpo

Banned
Sanctus mission 11 fight is really annoying in the last 50% on DMD. You can't do enough damage when his shield is down outside of being in DT to stop him from going into hiding and repeating the cycle.

BUT, I found out a way to do it without DT. Snatch -> 3 hit aerial combo -> L3 charge shot release (L1/2 probably work as well). The charge shot stuns him and allows you to jump back up and do another hit or two and knock his ass down. Really helpful.

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
Am I playing this game wrong? I'm at mission 10, and I haven't repeated any missions at all. It's an incredibly enjoyable romp so far, but I feel like I could be missing out on some stuff. Should I be replaying some of the earlier missions for more Proud Souls and orbs, or will I have enough to get my by, just by continuing through the missions as I am?
You can replay any missions you want at enemy time, you dont have to do everything in the first run.

Right now i feel like playing bloody palace with Dante because if i start playing with Nero its going to nag me that i haven't gotten insta reving down yet.

hteng

Banned
Bebpo said:
Sanctus mission 11 fight is really annoying in the last 50% on DMD. You can't do enough damage when his shield is down outside of being in DT to stop him from going into hiding and repeating the cycle.

BUT, I found out a way to do it without DT. Snatch -> 3 hit aerial combo -> L3 charge shot release (L1/2 probably work as well). The charge shot stuns him and allows you to jump back up and do another hit or two and knock his ass down. Really helpful.

haha i was unable to do charge shoot back then, it took me bout 30 mins and some luck to corner him and knock him down, really annoying fight if you don't know how to use charge shoot. by the way i could not add you on PSN coz your list is full

anyone else not really care about your level scores? i'm going through SoS right now, and i keep getting

time-s
style-a or s
orbs-b, c, or d

i just can't bring myself to care enough to stop and break stuff to get red ords.

Draft

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
Am I playing this game wrong? I'm at mission 10, and I haven't repeated any missions at all. It's an incredibly enjoyable romp so far, but I feel like I could be missing out on some stuff. Should I be replaying some of the earlier missions for more Proud Souls and orbs, or will I have enough to get my by, just by continuing through the missions as I am?
I played straight through Devil Hunter without repeating any missions and I never felt gimped by lack of moves. Farming orbs is not necessary.

hteng said:
haha i was unable to do charge shoot back then, it took me bout 30 mins and some luck to corner him and knock him down, really annoying fight if you don't know how to use charge shoot. by the way i could not add you on PSN coz your list is full
Wouldn't you have enough proud souls by DMD? On devil hunter its pretty easy to just snatch your way to him and land an air combo, i only started spamming blue rose during the second encounter.

jett

D-Member
I just downloaded the demo...holy shit this game is fucking awesome. Nero's moves are totally badass. I'm surprised how much, much, much more smooth the gameplay is compared to DMC3. Jesuscrysis i'm loving next-gen. :kittonwy

p.s. How do you instant rev? Right now I'm just doing by mashing on L2 inbetween combos. :p

burgerdog

So I had an awesome streak of S rank in SoS mode and then I get to Dante... I lost once and beat him on the next try, but with a C rank :( I was curious to see how others did and Naricat and Cwarrior were a tiny bit lower than me, don't feel so bad anymore :D

Blitz murdered me in mission 4 SoS. This is going to be alot harder then I thought. I wish Nero's charge shot was a little faster too, it takes forever to max charge it. Does anyone have advice against blitz, I want to kill him as fast as possible.

hteng

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Wouldn't you have enough proud souls by DMD? On devil hunter its pretty easy to just snatch your way to him and land an air combo, i only started spamming blue rose during the second encounter.

yea i had the skill acquire but couldn't effectively use it until i switch the shoot button to L1 trigger. Also, i didn;t know you can snatch your way up to him, i always overshoot my locations lol (always hit the decoys/flying stuff).

scissorfight said:
anyone else not really care about your level scores? i'm going through SoS right now, and i keep getting

time-s
style-a or s
orbs-b, c, or d

i just can't bring myself to care enough to stop and break stuff to get red ords.

you can always redo the missions once you are familiar with it, you are in SoS, it's still manageable, SoS is only hard when they throw you some blitzs. wait till you try DMD, i've finished DMD but will never go back and do it again without items.

Toonami 99 said:
Blitz murdered me in mission 4 SoS. This is going to be alot harder then I thought. I wish Nero's charge shot was a little faster too, it takes forever to max charge it. Does anyone have advice against blitz, I want to kill him as fast as possible.

charge shoot/normal shoot is pretty much the only way to strip him, once he is stripped just DT and buster him 3 times (has to be 3 times or it won't be enough), this will put him at a very very low health, quickly sink a few charge shoots in, he'll die right away.

hteng

Banned
Mojovonio said:
after fighting agnus, where the fuck do you go?

lol is this mission 6? go to the bridge you've just activated by hitting the dialer outside of the facility. You know.. the bridge to the water fall

Mojovonio

Banned
hteng said:
lol is this mission 6? go to the bridge you've just activated by hitting the dialer outside of the facility. You know.. the bridge to the water fall
Yeah, I did that. Brings me back to the grand hall.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I gotta say, Sanctus is possibly the WORST boss in the game. I had zero fun fighting him, especially not the second damn time. I wanted to claw my eyes out when I realized I would have to face his old wrinkly ass again.

At least the other bosses are awesome.

Top Bottom