• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Mojovonio said:
Yeah, I did that. Brings me back to the grand hall.

When you emerge from the old dude's painting, head to the door on the left.

Mojovonio said:
ohh there it is.

god dammit.

Hah, nevermind!

I got stuck there for AGES.

Zzoram

thetrin said:
I gotta say, Sanctus is possibly the WORST boss in the game. I had zero fun fighting him, especially not the second damn time. I wanted to claw my eyes out when I realized I would have to face his old wrinkly ass again.

At least the other bosses are awesome.

Ya the first Sanctus fight is awful, and I haven't gotten to the inevitable second one.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Zzoram said:
Ya the first Sanctus fight is awful, and I haven't gotten to the inevitable second one.

You're going to want to pee into your own eyes to make the hurting stop. It's so much more annoying and shitty.

Draft

I think Sanctus is a lot of fun.

If I had to choose a worst boss it would be the first time you fight the scientist dude, or more accurately, his mirror. Stinks like a gimmick fight, and I don't enjoy dodging a bunch of tiny monsters that may or not be attacking from off screen.

Bebpo

Banned
Man, I'm really terrible with Dante on DMD. I can barely survive and went from S-ranks to B-ranks. Hell the first battle with like 4 frosts took me like 4 tries.

Dante has no:
--Crowd Clearing move (Nero's L3 charge, EX streak, certain buster grabs like frosts)
--High damage moves (Nero's L3 charge, 3-bar EX moves, buster grabs)
--Enemy attack cancelling moves (Nero's L3 charge)
--Safe zones (Certain buster grabs)

I'm doing less damage, unable to seperate enemies, unable to stop their attacks, and taking huge damage per hit. >_< Might need to start busting out holy waters for his missions.

hteng said:
haha i was unable to do charge shoot back then, it took me bout 30 mins and some luck to corner him and knock him down, really annoying fight if you don't know how to use charge shoot. by the way i could not add you on PSN coz your list is full

Cleared some people and sent you an invite.

Big-E

Draft said:

If I had to choose a worst boss it would be the first time you fight the scientist dude, or more accurately, his mirror. Stinks like a gimmick fight, and I don't enjoy dodging a bunch of tiny monsters that may or not be attacking from off screen.

Agreed. I actually felt it was the hardest boss fight in the game.

thetrin

Draft said:

I didn't find Agnus that bad. He's easy to hit, he's easy to telegraph, and the sword birds are a constant source of health if you're running low.

Plus, the ground lightning is easy to spot and avoid.

Sanctus is a flying boss, and by far, those are the worst bosses in DMC history. Flying bosses fucking suck.

Bebpo

Banned
thetrin said:
I gotta say, Sanctus is possibly the WORST boss in the game. I had zero fun fighting him, especially not the second damn time. I wanted to claw my eyes out when I realized I would have to face his old wrinkly ass again.

At least the other bosses are awesome.

I think Sanctus is great outside his HIDE IN STATUE GAME FIGHT GOES ON THE BENCH FOR 15 SECONDS.

My only complaint is that he's too easy. I used the same pattern to dodge his attacks and attack him for DH/SoS/DMD.

The hardest bosses IMO are:

1. Dante #2 on DMD, he's not so bad on SoS and below because of the air-buster trick.
2. Berial, he's unpredictable and his moves have huge range and high damage.

Draft

thetrin said:
I didn't find Agnus that bad. He's easy to hit, he's easy to telegraph, and the sword birds are a constant source of health if you're running low.

Plus, the ground lightning is easy to spot and avoid.

Sanctus is a flying boss, and by far, those are the worst bosses in DMC history. Flying bosses fucking suck.
Ah-hah, that may be true for last-gen Dante, but we're in the next gen now, and next gen is all about snatch. No longer are flying monsters or those with largely elevated heads safe from sustained beatdowns.

I found the bug form scientist fights and the sanctus fights immensely satisfying, because I love air hiking within 30 feet of a dude, and then ROCKETING towards them thanks to my demonic guyver arm. It's like oh HI I'M IN YOUR PERSONAL SPACE NOW.

thetrin

Bebpo said:
I think Sanctus is great outside his HIDE IN STATUE GAME FIGHT GOES ON THE BENCH FOR 15 SECONDS.

My only complaint is that he's too easy. I used the same pattern to dodge his attacks and attack him for DH/SoS/DMD.

The hardest bosses IMO are:

1. Dante #2 on DMD, he's not so bad on SoS and below because of the air-buster trick.
2. Berial, he's unpredictable and his moves have huge range and high damage.

I'll agree with you on Berial. He really is hard, especially for a first boss. He's really hard to predict, and many times, he's too big and off screen to see the telegraph for a powerful move if you're not facing the right way or you're behind him.

I definitely wouldn't say Sanctus is easy. I suck against flying bosses, and he pissed me off to no end.

I'd qualify Bael or Echidna as easy. Bael especially. He is easily the easiest boss in the game.

EDIT; next gen and I apparently have a lot in common. We're both all about the snatch. :lol

Zzoram

Bebpo said:
Man, I'm really terrible with Dante on DMD. I can barely survive and went from S-ranks to B-ranks. Hell the first battle with like 4 frosts took me like 4 tries.

Dante has no:
--Crowd Clearing move (Nero's L3 charge, EX streak, certain buster grabs like frosts)
--High damage moves (Nero's L3 charge, 3-bar EX moves, buster grabs)
--Enemy attack cancelling moves (Nero's L3 charge)
--Safe zones (Certain buster grabs)

I'm doing less damage, unable to seperate enemies, unable to stop their attacks, and taking huge damage per hit. >_< Might need to start busting out holy waters for his missions.

Cleared some people and sent you an invite.

Doesn't the shotgun charge shot cancel enemy moves? Isn't Royal Guard style all about defense? Dante seems to have high damage moves, they just take a second to prepare.

Draft

I said this before, but I found Berial, frog and snake lady all embarrassingly easy. They are just big meaty targets with relatively simple patterns and no way to punish a barely aware player.

Credo is tough on SoS when he gets to about 25%.

Dante is just fucking ridiculous. Only boss to just SLAP me repeatedly.

2nd Sanctus is a bit of a monster in that sub 25% range, like Credo.

Bebpo

Banned
thetrin said:
I'll agree with you on Berial. He really is hard, especially for a first boss. He's really hard to predict, and many times, he's too big and off screen to see the telegraph for a powerful move if you're not facing the right way or you're behind him.

I definitely wouldn't say Sanctus is easy. I suck against flying bosses, and he pissed me off to no end.

I'd qualify Bael or Echidna as easy. Bael especially. He is easily the easiest boss in the game.

Well I think Sanctus is easy because he has a set pattern and all his attacks are announced before he does them and easy to dodge:

fireballs = hop/roll then snatch him
Armageddon = jump out of the way then snatch back in
lighting on ground = lolz, he's owned
fireballs on ground = jump and snatch

When shield drops, let him get some distance and he'll do ground fireball which you jump and snatch -> slash x 3 = he drops. Hit a bunch, DT buster = major damage.

Repeat.

His 2nd fight is a little harder because of his last ditch ground slices, but the first fight is pretty easy just annoying if you miss and he flies into the statute.

I agree Bael is easy, but I'd put him behind Sanctus because the little red girls can sometimes knock you out of stuff and his ice drop attack takes effort to dodge.

Zzoram said:
Doesn't the shotgun charge shot cancel enemy moves? Isn't Royal Guard style all about defense? Dante seems to have high damage moves, they just take a second to prepare.

Hmm, I don't have Shotgun L3 (last skill I need. Need 100k to buy it >_<) but I'll switch things around and see if that cancels.

Re: Royal Guard, I didn't use it in DMC3 and I don't use it here. I'm not great at the reflex timing and I'd rather just use trickster or roll/jump to dodge.

MechaX

As bad as Sanctus is at times, he's still better than over half of DMC3's bosses (Gigapede, Geyron, Doppleganger, Leviathan Core, and possible Agni and Rudra. And maybe Hell Vanguard if it even counts as one) and every DMC2 boss outside of Despair Embodied, and that says something. Pummeling him to death with Nero DT is actually quite a satisfying feeling, even more so than Nero PAUNCH in the second round.

Anyway, only halfway through SoS Mode. Things aren't too difficult (Don't know whether to attribute that to DMC familiarity or what) but nothing has gotten frustrating enough to interfere with fun. And DMC4 has that in spades, despite its flaws.

Also, Blitz is the new DMC1 Shadow. I'm just waiting for when they decide to have you fight three of them at once... Might be more of an epic experience for me than fighting four DT'd Hell Vanguards in DMC3 Bloody Palace with Vergil at a pretty high level.

I'm glad things are (obviously) positive here, because outside, people tend to make me feel like shit for liking the game, let alone playing it, and let alone thinking it's actually comparable to DMC3.

thetrin

Bebpo said:
Well I think Sanctus is easy because he has a set pattern and all his attacks are announced before he does them and easy to dodge:

fireballs = hop/roll then snatch him
Armageddon = jump out of the way then snatch back in
lighting on ground = lolz, he's owned
fireballs on ground = jump and snatch

When shield drops, let him get some distance and he'll do ground fireball which you jump and snatch -> slash x 3 = he drops. Hit a bunch, DT buster = major damage.

Repeat.

His 2nd fight is a little harder because of his last ditch ground slices, but the first fight is pretty easy just annoying if you miss and he flies into the statute.

I agree Bael is easy, but I'd put him behind Sanctus because the little red girls can sometimes knock you out of stuff and his ice drop attack takes effort to dodge.

Hmm, I don't have Shotgun L3 (last skill I need. Need 100k to buy it >_<) but I'll switch things around and see if that cancels.

Re: Royal Guard, I didn't use it in DMC3 and I don't use it here. I'm not great at the reflex timing and I'd rather just use trickster or roll/jump to dodge.

I see where you're coming from, but I still found Bael easier.

Also, I never used Royal Guard. I used Trickster much less in DMC4 than I did in 3. I used Swordmaster and Gunslinger a lot more in DMC4, though.

MechaX said:
As bad as Sanctus is at times, he's still better than over half of DMC3's bosses (Gigapede, Geyron, Doppleganger, Leviathan Core, and possible Agni and Rudra. And maybe Hell Vanguard if it even counts as one) and every DMC2 boss outside of Despair Embodied, and that says something. Pummeling him to death with Nero DT is actually quite a satisfying feeling, even more so than Nero PAUNCH in the second round.

Anyway, only halfway through SoS Mode. Things aren't too difficult (Don't know whether to attribute that to DMC familiarity or what) but nothing has gotten frustrating enough to interfere with fun. And DMC4 has that in spades, despite its flaws.

Also, Blitz is the new DMC1 Shadow. I'm just waiting for when they decide to have you fight three of them at once... Might be more of an epic experience for me than fighting four DT'd Hell Vanguards in DMC3 Bloody Palace with Vergil at a pretty high level.

I'm glad things are (obviously) positive here, because outside, people tend to make me feel like shit for liking the game, let alone playing it, and let alone thinking it's actually comparable to DMC3.

I think DMC4 is a damn fine game. The bosses are collectively far better designed than DMC3's, and things like the board game are more fun than some of the gimmicky shit in DMC3 (which I didn't even mind that much).

Fighting Dante in DMC4 is much like Vergil in DMC3, yet I distinctly remember having more fun in DMC4. I think it comes from knowing how Dante moves, while Vergil is largely a question mark even the second time you fight him.

Bebpo

Banned
MechaX said:

Nooooooo...those are awesome fights. I don't remember which one was Geyron though so maybe that was awesome too or not. The only bad bosses in DMC3 were the Leviathon Core and Gigapede could have been better.

The only thing I don't like about DMC4 bosses is the whole "hey you can't hit/hurt me until I say so!". Ie. Bael's invisible deal, Santus's statute hide, Cowboy Mephisto's shield. I like to always be doing SOME damage to the enemies. Having to wait does not fit my style.

Draft said:
2nd Sanctus is a bit of a monster in that sub 25% range, like Credo.
Devil Hunter mode. The second time i used a gold orb during the whole game, only because i had one and only because it turned out to be so satisfying.

So he is ready to charge at me with sparda thinking he is all that, but no old man not this time. Hit DT and buster his charge and then everything slows down, cut to a face shot of Nero as he pulls back ready to pound some wrinkled old face. And then the phantom fist to the geriatric to the rock wall. Jackpot!

Bebpo said:
The only thing I don't like about DMC4 bosses is the whole "hey you can't hit/hurt me until I say so!". Ie. Bael's invisible deal, Santus's statute hide, Cowboy Mephisto's shield. I like to always be doing SOME damage to the enemies. Having to wait does not fit my style.
With Bael if you beat on the floating things long enough until one goes dark you can buster to pull him back in. Also bringing down the Faustus'(cowboy mephisto) shield is still doing damage, and its not like DMC3 didn't have enemies like that. But yeah on the over all Sanctus is rather boring by the book and easy.

thetrin

Yeah, I actually really liked the Doppelganger fight. It felt more like a puzzle than a boss fight, which I liked .

Draft

Virgil in DMC3 is bitch made compared to Dante in DMC4.

Dante as a boss shamed me. I beat him with item cheese, and was too afraid to try again.

Doppelganger is the worst boss in DMC3. At least the big worm is fun to beat up. Doppelganger is a vile gimmick fight.

Zzoram

firehawk12 said:
Maybe I'm a bit lazy to read the thread, but any quick and dirty tips for a DMC virgin playing the 360 version?

Learn to Instant Rev with Nero (LT tap during combos), use Devil Bringer Snatch/Buster a lot, Streak and High Roller are your friend.

Dante Swordmaster is the best style.

Zzoram

alr1ghtstart said:
jesus tittyfucking christ, dante is kicking my ass in this second fight.

2nd Dante is REALLY hard, it took so many tries to even hit him more than once before dying :lol

He's the only boss that really dodges attacks.

hteng said:
you can always redo the missions once you are familiar with it, you are in SoS, it's still manageable, SoS is only hard when they throw you some blitzs. wait till you try DMD, i've finished DMD but will never go back and do it again without items.
i think you misunderstood me. i don't care about my level score enough to bother stopping the ass-kicking to collect orbs.

RyuHayate

alr1ghtstart said:
jesus tittyfucking christ, dante is kicking my ass in this second fight.

Just keep shooting at him (he'll fire back, causing both your bullets to collide) while moving toward him and slam him with your Devil Bringer when your close enough.

I beat Dante on my second try, but had to use an item. The key is to avoid using Streak, and just focus on the Split move. And even though he can dodge your busters on the ground easily, I find that if you try to grab him when you're in the air, you're more likely to get him and get in a few sword slashes.

Also, this is the first time I've noticed that Dante's Rebellion has two, different skulls: a human skull on one side, and the screaming, devil skull on the other side.

Vagrant

Managed to beat the Bloody Palace. I ended up with a total score of 3238068 points and rank #80 on the PS3 leaderboard.
Dante was the last fight, he was using Gilgamesh, Lucifer, and Pandora. I certainly hadn't seen him use any of those on Devil Hunter.
The last 20 or so levels were pretty good. Except for those fire spitting dogs-- they can go straight to hell.

So far this game is amazing.. right mix of difficulty, and the boss fights have been pretty fun. Seems like you get to keep your fighting style with many of them as opposed to relying on "boss tactics".

My only complaint... Sky scraper secret mission is one of the most frustrating things ever... this ain't mario galaxy!!!!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ugh, my DMC kung fu is weak still. I should have practiced before the game hit.

Another thing I dislike outside of combat is when you die, the game throws your ass back to some random, various point in the level. This is ok if you die at a boss, since it saves you there. If you continue after a boss fight and die afterwards, you're sent right back. ASS.

so...popped in this thread real quick - trying to avoid spoilers - and just wanted to say, that even though i'm only on Mission6 right now, this is easily my favorite DMC of them all :D

...oh and finally started pulling some SS combos, whewt!

CowboyAstronaut said:
Just saw an Xbox 360 specific DMC4 commercial where they didn't announce the existence of a PS3 version on VH1.

Has this been happening a lot?

Happens for either side. I saw a both console ad, then a 360 centric on in the break following.

dralla

fuuuck. how do you kill the infected scarecrows with style? those fucking yellow 'claws' they have are so annoying, always kill my combo's

jett

D-Member
CowboyAstronaut said:
Just saw an Xbox 360 specific DMC4 commercial where they didn't announce the existence of a PS3 version on VH1.

Has this been happening a lot?

This happens on both sides, sometimes regarding the same game.

Zzoram

dralla said:
fuuuck. how do you kill the infected scarecrows with style? those fucking yellow 'claws' they have are so annoying, always kill my combo's

The spinning blade thing they do in the Forest levels? With Dante I use Swordmaster combo, stop before the last move and use shotgun to stop it from spinning the vines or whatever, then repeat. I also try to keep all the other ones to my front, not my back/side.

Bebpo

Banned
How are some of you guys beating Bloody Palace straight out of DH or SoS?

With Nero I can kick ass against the enemies/most bosses on DMD, but in Bloody Palace I can't even last past the 20s let alone make it to 101. It seems to me like BP is far harder than the main game, yet people are starting to pass it left and right.

I've been following some of the advice here and switching my gun weapon over to LB, but I have a serious psychological hang-up on having an action button on the left-side of the controller (I generally reserve that side for movement-related controls). I've already completed DH and put a few stages away in SOS, but I'm gonna have to blow through Human mode with the revised control scheme to warm up to it. I went back to M20 with Charge Shot 3 to see how much it was worth, and it convinced me I need to incorporate my guns more into my game. I rarely used them before. Actually, I'm gonna have to dick around with the shoulder button assignments for a few minutes. Damn, I'm beginning to get a little overwhelmed by having to use so many buttons at the same time for such a fast game. I have to completely ignore IR while I'm using Charge Shot. At least, for now. Hmm...

hteng

Banned
Bebpo said:

With Nero I can kick ass against the enemies/most bosses on DMD, but in Bloody Palace I can't even last past the 20s let alone make it to 101. It seems to me like BP is far harder than the main game, yet people are starting to pass it left and right.

Blood Palace is easy, didn't you already learn how to use charge shoot ? just turn the whole place into a firework show. The bosses are SoS difficulty so that's not a problem, oh btw the enemies at the last few levels (last 20 or so i think) can DT just like in DMD but seems to have less health. Also no need to save your DTs, if you are hurt or swarmed don't be afraid to use it (especially when there are frosts around, you better kill them fast)

thetrin

Draft said:
Doppelganger is the worst boss in DMC3. At least the big worm is fun to beat up. Doppelganger is a vile gimmick fight.

This is the second time you've said this. Wtf is a gimmick fight? Do you mean fights where there is a pattern and a particular thing you do to cause damage?

If so, I think we are in complete disagreement. Those are my favorite types of fights.

Which is kinda funny, because in that regard, Sanctus is a gimmick fight as well, yet you love him. *shrug*

Defuser

Bebpo said:

It could be the timer that's making you anxious.

hteng

Banned
Defuser said:
It could be the timer that's making you anxious.

you stopped worrying about the timer after you get passed stage 40, i know i did. Then you start to worry again when you reach 99 hahaha

Draft

thetrin said:
This is the second time you've said this. Wtf is a gimmick fight? Do you mean fights where there is a pattern and a particular thing you do to cause damage?

If so, I think we are in complete disagreement. Those are my favorite types of fights.

Which is kinda funny, because in that regard, Sanctus is a gimmick fight as well, yet you love him. *shrug*
I mean a fight that's more like a puzzle than a boss. There is no attack pattern to doppelganger. You just run a circle hitting light switches until you've started them all, then DT beat him for 10 seconds, then repeat till dead. You don't so much learn the boss as you learn the gimmick, then you just do that.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I can make it to the 40s in Bloody Palace with both Dante and Nero pretty easily. Then it seems you're fighting a Blitz every level mixed in with Assaults, Gladius and Frosts with little green orbs in sight.

Draft said:
Dante as a boss shamed me. I beat him with item cheese, and was too afraid to try again.

Only got the game today, thus I've only battled him on devil hunter. I'm guessing you can't run up to him so he starts a rebellion combo, pull him to you then smash him with the bring on the harder difficulties then?

Totally agree with you on the first Angus fight though, only battle I've had trouble with so far, ended up randomly jumping and grabbing to do it. Hovering to avoid the electric floor only to get hit be a sword that was off screen is beyond annoying.

Top Bottom