• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

MechaX

Spirit of Jazz said:
Only got the game today, thus I've only battled him on devil hunter. I'm guessing you can't run up to him so he starts a rebellion combo, pull him to you then smash him with the bring on the harder difficulties then?

He'll either:

A. Break out of it
B. Instant Stinger
C. Shotgun cancel his Rebellion Combo
D. Gilgamesh ownage

Or, if you're on DMD..
A-Z: Pandora's Box

pj

Banned
Ok I finally got the game today, and I'd just like to thank gaf. All the "it's not that great" talk lowered my expectations a bit, and even made me worry that I might not like it all that much.

It's awesome, and so far I'm liking it more than 1 and 3

MechaX said:
He'll either:

A. Break out of it
B. Instant Stinger
C. Shotgun cancel his Rebellion Combo
D. Gilgamesh ownage

Or, if you're on DMD..
A-Z: Pandora's Box

Okay, that sounds beyond awesome. Can't wait to get to him on the harder difficulties now given I've been really disappointed with the bosses on DH.

Draft said:
I use the default controls, except I've switched LB and X so I can charge shots in combos.

The "problems" with the X360 controller are greatly exaggerated. Holding and releasing the RB for combo purposes has not been an issue for me at all. What has been an issue is applying pressure to LB while doing instarevs, and I don't know if that's a X360 controller issue, or just a problem with my hands, as it's something I never did on the PS2 controller in previous DMC games.

edit: I hold the 360 with the same claw technique I use for the Dualshock in previous DMC games. Index and Middle finger of each hand curved around the top. My middle fingers are more straight than they would be with a dualshock to accommodate the height of the triggers relative to the face of the controller, but otherwise the grip is the same.

If anyone missed my post, DMC4 of X360 is even better with a wired controller! The extra lightness (not to mention the lack of button input lag compared to a wireless) makes it that much better for long playing sessions.

Hey Draft, I experimented with having charge on LB but it interfered with insta-revs too much. In my experience it's actually a lot better on RB with lock on on the right trigger.

Draft

memecomplex said:
If anyone missed my post, DMC4 of X360 is even better with a wired controller! The extra lightness (not to mention the lack of button input lag compared to a wireless) makes it that much better for long playing sessions.

Hey Draft, I experimented with having charge on LB but it interfered with insta-revs too much. In my experience it's actually a lot better on RB with lock on on the right trigger.
I am thinking of switching schemes because charging and IRing with my left hand is just killer.

Kittonwy

Banned
Just finished it on DH.
gladtomeetya.gif

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
Am I playing this game wrong? I'm at mission 10, and I haven't repeated any missions at all. It's an incredibly enjoyable romp so far, but I feel like I could be missing out on some stuff. Should I be replaying some of the earlier missions for more Proud Souls and orbs, or will I have enough to get my by, just by continuing through the missions as I am?

When you play a devil may cry game, you play it for the long haul. Devil Hunter, SoS, DMD -- new A.I, new enemies, new stategies etc.

It'll probably take roughly 40 hours to see and experience everything. A Heavenly Sword weekend rental this is not.

memecomplex said:

Wtf? Button input lag?

dralla said:
fuuuck. how do you kill the infected scarecrows with style? those fucking yellow 'claws' they have are so annoying, always kill my combo's

Charge shot. It shuts em' up real quick.

Then squeeze a quick snatch to buster and back away.

Anyway, can somebody confirm this.

A friend of mine started a new game on automatic. He isn't so much into doing his own combos, he just would rather attain entertainment from visually seeing them with minor control on his part.

He got up to mission 3 last night, shut it off - and then loaded his file today.

And he called me and said the automatic feature isn't doing what it did yesterday?

Bebpo said:
How are some of you guys beating Bloody Palace straight out of DH or SoS?

With Nero I can kick ass against the enemies/most bosses on DMD, but in Bloody Palace I can't even last past the 20s let alone make it to 101. It seems to me like BP is far harder than the main game, yet people are starting to pass it left and right.

Same here, is there something I am doing wrong cause Bloody Palace is way harder than anything in the game. I cant get past the 20's.

Sectus

C- Warrior said:
Anyway, can somebody confirm this.

A friend of mine started a new game on automatic. He isn't so much into doing his own combos, he just would rather attain entertainment from visually seeing them with minor control on his part.

He got up to mission 3 last night, shut it off - and then loaded his file today.

And he called me and said the automatic feature isn't doing what it did yesterday?
He probably forgot to turn automatic back on after he resumed playing.

Sectus said:
He probably forgot to turn automatic back on after he resumed playing.

So it does reset back to auto off. I just did a mock mission 1 run as if I started a new game on auto on, and each time you go to the mission menu to load up, or continue -- it defaults automatic back to off.

Dahbomb

Draft said:
Virgil in DMC3 is bitch made compared to Dante in DMC4.

Dante as a boss shamed me. I beat him with item cheese, and was too afraid to try again.

Doppelganger is the worst boss in DMC3. At least the big worm is fun to beat up. Doppelganger is a vile gimmick fight.
I agree with everything in this post, except for item cheesing. I would never use an item in my DMC even if my life depended upon it. It's like cutting off your e-penis.

That shit is for the WEAKSAUCE.

The only problem with the Dante fight is that there is this REALLY EASY AI hole in it that unless you take advantage of you really cannot own him that easily without some serious skill. I am talking about the "keep shoot walking toward him and then Buster him and corner him.... repeat". I used this hole once but will never do it again.... it's like Godhand all over again with the damn exploits. I am too honorable for this shit.

Using Bloody Palace to get good at DMC4 Dante.

I think my Sixaxis is fucked. I'll be running around and then Dante will either start to slowly walk, or stop walking all together. And changing styles isn't is screwy too, I'll hit right and somehow have Gunslinger.

I want a DS3 but I'm not paying that much to import :(

Maggot9

Banned
Zzoram said:
Every wireless technology has input lag. Ever notice how pro-gamers all use wired mice? Even the best wireless technology has a very small input lag.
yeah, so small no human could tell the difference. if you opt to use a wired controller over a wireless one, you're fucked, or some such shit

Dahbomb

biggkidd32 said:
Dahbomb, what post number was your in-depth combat write-up? Any plans for faqs? :D
It's on the first page, just scroll down some but it's just for people who are new to DMC/Nero (I wrote it for the demo). When I complete the game on DMD then I will post a REAL indepth combat write up for the game... and from the looks of it I have my work cut out for me. :lol

Also WTF @ Automatic charging guns for you. This is new to the series and is really LAME IMO but it gives the Automatic people unfair advantage over the people who are actually PLAYING the game. And there is the whole "random just rev" bull shit...

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
So do we not still have and good HD pics of Trish and Lady that Capcom has already released, would be nice for wallpaper purposes! :D

Dahbomb

Elbrain said:
So do we not still have and good HD pics of Trish and Lady that Capcom has already released, would be nice for wallpaper purposes! :D
They are on the official Japanese site under Characters.

I'm really surprised that using automatic doesn't penalize you in the rankings.
I tried it out on mission 17th on Human for lolz and got an S-rank.

Zzoram

Maggot9 said:
yeah, so small no human could tell the difference. if you opt to use a wired controller over a wireless one, you're fucked, or some such shit

Wired controller is lighter and has a bit stronger rumble, so I can see why people would do that. I personally play DMC4 with a wireless pad.

Zzoram

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I'm really surprised that using automatic doesn't penalize you in the rankings.
I tried it out on mission 17th on Human for lolz and got an S-rank.

It probably does penalize you, when you're not on the easy setting they expect people who use automatic to be playing.

Bebpo

Banned
Finished DMD. Once I finish the last 4 secret missions I need I think I'll be about done and ready to move on.

DMD was fun with Nero and NOT FUN AT ALL WITH DANTE. With Nero I really felt in control of the situation and on offense. With Dante it was like jumping around a lot and downward kicking/slashing hoping to not get hit while you have 5-10 DT'd enemies flying around on the ground ready to murder you in 1 sec. With Nero I didn't need to use any items but with Dante...holy shit I burned through items so fast I wasn't sure if I'd even make it back to Nero. Also I HATE that when you die in a secret mission you restart from the last checkpoint. I tried doing the royal guard one in the jungle and I died and it started me 3 INSANELY HARD FIGHTS BACK including Blitz fights.

Blitz on DMD is NOT FUN. I swear he takes like 10 rockets+ with Pandora to get his electricity off and even DT'd I couldn't do enough damage to get him into the red so he just went back into yellow and I had to get him down again and then do red dodging. Meanwhile he can kill you so fast if you get touched. Fights were annoying everytime with him. The only enemies I found fun to fight with Dante were Knights and Mephistos. The rest of the enemies seem made for Nero like the Frosts, which aren't fun when you can't buster them up or explode them or the SEWER FISH THINGS which SUCK with Dante and are awkward getting them out.

The helldogs in DT mode are SCARY. Until now they were easy enemies to play around with, but here they'll jump up and shoot you in the face while you're in the air dodging. >_<

I still think outside of Dante, Berial is the toughest boss in the game. In the gauntlet he's the only one that took me multiple continues still. The one move that he does where he swings the sword upwards and spins around and the uppercut attack are still really hard for me to dodge correctly. At least if I keep my distance I can take him down pretty well since his medium-range attacks are easy to dodge.

I gotta say I really like the final boss. He's a completely different type of boss gameplay than Vergil who was smart and random. I like that this guy follows patterns like a robot and once you get them down you can beat him on DMD without taking a hit. The correct strategy for beating all of his options is pretty fun and smart and it's great when it all clicks. Definitely one of my favorite bosses from a gameplay-perspective.

I'm still 60k away from Nero/Dante's last skill >_< Maybe I'll run through Human mode with the super characters and grab the last SMs I need :lol

Dahbomb

Dave1988 said:
Dreadnought Glitch

Nothing particulary useful in combat but cool to know ;p
I knew as soon as they announced Dreadnaught that it was going to have some crazy glitches. I am surprised people haven't found broken tactics with it already. It basically is like having an Untouchable item with you at all times.

DMD was fun with Nero and NOT FUN AT ALL WITH DANTE. With Nero I really felt in control of the situation and on offense. With Dante it was like jumping around a lot and downward kicking/slashing hoping to not get hit while you have 5-10 DT'd enemies flying around on the ground ready to murder you in 1 sec. With Nero I didn't need to use any items but with Dante...holy shit I burned through items so fast I wasn't sure if I'd even make it back to Nero. Also I HATE that when you die in a secret mission you restart from the last checkpoint. I tried doing the royal guard one in the jungle and I died and it started me 3 INSANELY HARD FIGHTS BACK including Blitz fights.

Blitz on DMD is NOT FUN. I swear he takes like 10 rockets+ with Pandora to get his electricity off and even DT'd I couldn't do enough damage to get him into the red so he just went back into yellow and I had to get him down again and then do red dodging. Meanwhile he can kill you so fast if you get touched. Fights were annoying everytime with him. The only enemies I found fun to fight with Dante were Knights and Mephistos. The rest of the enemies seem made for Nero like the Frosts, which aren't fun when you can't buster them up or explode them or the SEWER FISH THINGS which SUCK with Dante and are awkward getting them out.

The helldogs in DT mode are SCARY. Until now they were easy enemies to play around with, but here they'll jump up and shoot you in the face while you're in the air dodging. >_<
It sounds to me like DMD mode is actually doable with Nero making it not really that hard but with Dante it really is what DMD is all about.

I find it funny that the mode is called "Dante Must Die" and not "Nero Must Die" but now it actually makes sense... it is clearly much harder for Dante than it is for Nero. :lol

vpance

About Credo on DH.. can you combo him when he gets stunned? I just bustered him quickly whenever he was open. I beat him on the first go, but had to use an item. Near the end I just kept rolling mostly, lol.

Dahbomb

vpance said:
About Credo on DH.. can you combo him when he gets stunned? I just bustered him quickly whenever he was open. I beat him on the first go, but had to use an item. Near the end I just kept rolling mostly, lol.
You can High Roller him (upper slash that launches you and the opponent) and then do a few slashes but not that many. You can only do this when he's stunned obviously.

Zzoram

vpance said:

Buster on him is more effective anyways.

Bebpo said:
Also I HATE that when you die in a secret mission you restart from the last checkpoint. I tried doing the royal guard one in the jungle and I died and it started me 3 INSANELY HARD FIGHTS BACK including Blitz fights.

Personally, I don't see the point of running through Secret Missions on harder difficulties -- unless it can affect your rankings, in which case I must admit I haven't been paying attention in this regard.

Bebpo

Banned
Attack You said:
Personally, I don't see the point of running through Secret Missions on harder difficulties -- unless it can affect your rankings, in which case I must admit I haven't been paying attention in this regard.

Well the difficulty doesn't affect the SM difficulty. I just happened to find the SM I hadn't done when on DMD.

Zzoram

Bebpo said:
Well the difficulty doesn't affect the SM difficulty. I just happened to find the SM I hadn't done when on DMD.

What is the SM difficulty at? I have trouble with them even when doing them through Human.

Dahbomb

Ok I consider myself a proficient gamer when it comes to fighters, action games and the like....

How the hell are you supposed to perform Max Act in a consistent manner? It reminds me of those Just Frame moves in Tekken/VF where in Practice mode you would try to do it like 50 times and only activate it like 5 out of those 50 times. In actual combat it's even more difficult to get it off. I hope someone can figure out the exact frames so that I can get consistent with it like I did for the EWGFs in Tekken.

For the newbies: Max Act is one of the final upgrades of Nero where if you perform a Just Rev at precisely the correct frame you get 3 whole bars of Exceed filled up instantly. From its description it appears that its only three times as hard as doing the normal IR charge but it's actually more like 30 times harder. :lol

Even Just Releases aren't this hard to do. This reminds me of those mysterious and unattainable "Perfect Just Releases" in DMC3 that most people thought were a myth but they ended up being true.

Zzoram

Dahbomb said:
Ok I consider myself a proficient gamer when it comes to fighters, action games and the like....

How the hell are you supposed to perform Max Act in a consistent manner? It reminds me of those Just Frame moves in Tekken/VF where in Practice mode you would try to do it like 50 times and only activate it like 5 out of those 50 times. In actual combat it's even more difficult to get it off. I hope someone can figure out the exact frames so that I can get consistent with it like I did for the EWGFs in Tekken.

For the newbies: Max Act is one of the final upgrades of Nero where if you perform a Just Rev at precisely the correct frame you get 3 whole bars of Exceed filled up instantly. From its description it appears that its only three times as hard as doing the normal IR charge but it's actually more like 30 times harder. :lol

That's why I didn't buy it. I can't pull off even the normal one consistently.

hteng

Banned
Zzoram said:
What is the SM difficulty at? I have trouble with them even when doing them through Human.

they are probably DH difficulty, the scrawcrows don't die in one buster and the damage you receive is fairly moderate. Anyway, the secret missions was difficult as hell. I hated the royal guard SM too, waste alot of time there

Zzoram said:

its worth it, even if you can't do revs consistently, but when you get lucky and got a full gauge it's fucking spectacular. They raise your style points alot too. Better buy it as soon as possible, you don't wanna leave it until the last upgrade coz that's gonna cost you like... 101k proud souls.

Dahbomb

Zzoram said:
I can pull off the normal one consistently but this one is in another league entirely, even for me who is a hardcore DMC player. I saw some people playing on DMD on videos but even they can't get Max Act down (meaning they do it at random times not most of the time).

chaoticprout said:
How do you get Dreadnaught? Thanks.
Lv.4 Royal Guard move for Dante. Just Devil Trigger while in the Royal Guard style. It makes your invincible but it drains your DT faster.

Danielsan

Zzoram said:
You still need to buy it. I can't pull it off consistently but I still get a Max Rev fairly often. Nothing beats getting to use a max rev highroller to slash your enemy towards the sky. :D

Dahbomb

I can get Max Act also but it's random for me. Its still pretty bad ass when you do get it, it opens a can of whoop ass on the enemy. :D

Bebpo

Banned
Dahbomb said:
I can pull off the normal one consistently but this one is in another league entirely, even for me who is a hardcore DMC player. I saw some people playing on DMD on videos but even they can't get Max Act down (meaning they do it at random times not most of the time).

As someone else said early in the thread, just think of it as a random perk that sometimes instead of a 1 bar attack you bust out a 3 bar one.

Personally I just do a 1-bar IR and then manually rev to 3 bars before entering a new battle/boss so at least I can start with a 3-bar attack. I get Max IR like 1/20 times when actually playing.

BboyDubC

I heard someone talk about grab and shield to do secret mission 3, but they never even taught me how to do that! I've never seen anything about using a shield to get your style meter up without attacking, how do you do that?

Danielsan

BboyDubC said:
I heard someone talk about grab and shield to do secret mission 3, but they never even taught me how to do that! I've never seen anything about using a shield to get your style meter up without attacking, how do you do that?
Have you fought Credo yet?

Dahbomb

BboyDubC said:
It's an ability you get after you beat Credo. It's called the Aegis Shield.

NVM then, you don't get that ability until you beat Mission#8.

Top Bottom