• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

BboyDubC

Is there another way to raise style meter easily? Why would they put the mission right there if you can't beat it? It doesn't make sense. I randomly evaded once and it went up a smidgen, but that is way to unreliable. I evade all day, and eventually end up dead.

Bebpo

Banned
hteng said:
Blood Palace is easy, didn't you already learn how to use charge shoot ? just turn the whole place into a firework show. The bosses are SoS difficulty so that's not a problem, oh btw the enemies at the last few levels (last 20 or so i think) can DT just like in DMD but seems to have less health. Also no need to save your DTs, if you are hurt or swarmed don't be afraid to use it (especially when there are frosts around, you better kill them fast)

I dunno, I just seem to take a lot of damage. Like I'll be doing great and SS-styling and then the floor ends I start to rev for the next one and I see my life and there's only 3 bars left >_<

Kittonwy

Banned
Dahbomb said:
Ok I consider myself a proficient gamer when it comes to fighters, action games and the like....

How the hell are you supposed to perform Max Act in a consistent manner? It reminds me of those Just Frame moves in Tekken/VF where in Practice mode you would try to do it like 50 times and only activate it like 5 out of those 50 times. In actual combat it's even more difficult to get it off. I hope someone can figure out the exact frames so that I can get consistent with it like I did for the EWGFs in Tekken.

For the newbies: Max Act is one of the final upgrades of Nero where if you perform a Just Rev at precisely the correct frame you get 3 whole bars of Exceed filled up instantly. From its description it appears that its only three times as hard as doing the normal IR charge but it's actually more like 30 times harder. :lol

Even Just Releases aren't this hard to do. This reminds me of those mysterious and unattainable "Perfect Just Releases" in DMC3 that most people thought were a myth but they ended up being true.

Sometimes I'm doing them continuously sometimes I'm just doing the just rev with the occasional max act. I think when you hit the right rhythm you can really milk the max act, but it's pretty hard. I find just-releases to be harder to do, but obviously WAY more pay-off. It's probably easy for some people to consistently pull it off.
Indifferent2.gif

Zzoram

BboyDubC said:
Is there another way to raise style meter easily? Why would they put the mission right there if you can't beat it? It doesn't make sense. I randomly evaded once and it went up a smidgen, but that is way to unreliable. I evade all day, and eventually end up dead.

Taunts increase style I believe, but you're vulnerable to attack when you taunt.

BboyDubC

Zzoram said:
Taunts increase style I believe, but you're vulnerable to attack when you taunt.

I was taunting, and I didn't see any meter do anything. I think you have to taunt after attacking, and in SM3, you can't attack or you fail.

hteng

Banned
BboyDubC said:

you better just leave both these missions alone before you defeat credo. It is possible to do it without the shield/ability it's just 10x harder. Think of the secret missions like the secret powerups in Megaman, you can't access some places without specific moves..etc.

I've tried mission 3 without the shield, it is possible to evade, taunt, snatch, hopping on the enemy's head to get your style up without attacking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghUyl_4Jwiw

youtube guide, look at the related videos for the rest

thread OP should probably put some guide on the frontpage, that'll be helpful

Danielsan

BboyDubC said:
I was taunting, and I didn't see any meter do anything. I think you have to taunt after attacking, and in SM3, you can't attack or you fail.
Tip. Do the secret missions on your second run through. Some of them require you to have certain abilities that you might no have aquired yet.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I actually got a lot of my style by jumping around the room snatching.

And as someone said, you can do a buster when it's like 60% filled on D-style. The Buster attack fills it about 50% and the blue orb will appear before you actually damage the enemy.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Zzoram said:

I tried taunting in that mission and it didn't work.

Danielsan said:
Tip. Do the secret missions on your second run through. Some of them require you to have certain abilities that you might no have aquired yet.

And there you go.

Narag

thetrin said:
I tried taunting in that mission and it didn't work.

It takes a bit before the gauge appears, seems useless otherwise.

Dante + Royal Guard made it easy as the style gauge fills up fast with it. The RG meter remains filled for the fight after that which makes for some laughs.

Just beat SoS mode, still kind of easy. I did the first mission of DMD, beat Dante rather easy. I also started Heaven or Hell, awesome mode, fighting bosses is hilarious.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Narag said:
It takes a bit before the gauge appears, seems useless otherwise.

Dante + Royal Guard made it easy as the style gauge fills up fast with it. The RG meter remains filled for the fight after that which makes for some laughs.

Bah, RG totally didn't occur to me! I gotta try that at some point.

What mission does SM3 occur in for Dante? (I finished the game, I just don't remember)

Prince8

Banned
So I havent progressed much yet with Dante, and even though gilgamesh is a fun change, I cant get over the fact that its just such a downgrade in gameplay compared to Nero. I think the reason why they decided to not enable you to change weapons with Nero is so that Dante still has some value

deepbrown

Oh questions....what ability did I gain after beating toad man? i got one of his bitches, but I don't remember it telling me what ability I gained. And what ability did I gain from Credo....and how do I use these abilities. It just gives you these abilities but doesnt tell you how to do them :( at least I don't think it does.

deepbrown said:
Oh questions....what ability did I gain after beating toad man? i got one of his bitches, but I don't remember it telling me what ability I gained. And what ability did I gain from Credo....and how do I use these abilities. It just gives you these abilities but doesnt tell you how to do them :( at least I don't think it does.

You must've disabled your tutorials.

The toad dealie drops the dead girly that gives you sparklies when you're near hidden red shiny thingies.

I forget what Credo drops. Is that the shield? If so, hold your DB button after you grab an enemy.

marwan

Banned
dunno if this has happened to anyone, i know DMC2 was complete crap, but i keep hearing how bad it is that i actually want to get :lol it. It's $14 on amazon so i think i'll grab it. I won't expect much since i finished DMC1 and 3 and they are simply untouchable. I'm also playing through DMC4 as i type this :)

deepbrown said:

Ugh for fucks sake.

TUTORIAL ON. Try it.

And please don't tell me you're playing auto on?

Kyoufu

Prince8 said:
So I havent progressed much yet with Dante, and even though gilgamesh is a fun change, I cant get over the fact that its just such a downgrade in gameplay compared to Nero. I think the reason why they decided to not enable you to change weapons with Nero is so that Dante still has some value

So you're saying that style switching doesn't provide any value?

Danielsan

Prince8 said:
I had the same feelings as you about Dante but yesterday, after having bought most of his upgrades, I've been fooling around with Dante on Bloody palace and I've come to the conclusion that I underrated him. Using trickster to get close to enemies (with trick up) and then switching to swordmaster to combo them to death is a delight. Lucifer takes getting used to but is great in combination with the other Devil Arms.

Dahbomb

Dante has a lot of options but to be really effective with him you have to be constantly switching stuff. To keep combos going in a long distance you must be a wizz with Trickster and Swordmaster. Against aggressive enemies Royal Guard is a must and Gunslinger becomes insanely useful with Pandorra's Box. And then you also have the Judgement Slash option of the Dark Slayer which is a really useful crowd controller.

It doesn't take much to start being really good with Nero but with Dante it takes a really, really long time. But when you do get good you will realize that Dante has everything he needs in this game and then some.

Nero vs Dante 2 DMD vid

Dark FaZe said:
Wtf? Button input lag?

If you have a wireless pad and a quick charge wire you can try this experiment, an FPS that runs at 60 fps will give the best results, e.g. COD2 or COD4.

First using wireless move the aim around, then plug in the quick charge cable and try it again.

Wireless feel floaty compared to wired. But don't confuse the analog stick dead zone with lag.

On the other hand I cannot detect any discernible lag with the DS3.

MS needs to fix this stat!

deepbrown

C- Warrior said:
Ugh for fucks sake.

TUTORIAL ON. Try it.

And please don't tell me you're playing auto on?
The tutorial IS on fucker. And no I'm not playing auto on, so don't patronise me. It NEVER told me - all it said was "this gives you a new abilitiy" without telling me WHAT it is or HOW to do it. So maybe you could stop being a smart ass and just tell me.

deepbrown said:
The tutorial IS on fucker. And no I'm not playing auto on, so don't patronise me. It NEVER told me - all it said was "this gives you a new abilitiy" without telling me WHAT it is or HOW to do it. So maybe you could stop being a smart ass and just tell me.

For the many, many, many new ability items you get -- it always describes what it does.

So, no -- you have the tutorial off it seems.

deepbrown

C- Warrior said:
For the many, many, many new ability items you get -- it always describes what it does.

So, no -- you have the tutorial off it seems.
Uh NO i don't. It comes up saying I've got it and says it's a new blocking ability....but then the level ends and it doesn't tell me. It's told me ALL the other abilities with button presses included, so I know the tutorials on. I don't care whether it's a glitch, I'm not going to cry about it. I just thought I'd come to the nice people at GAF and ask if they could help me out.

Walshicus

memecomplex said:
If you have a wireless pad and a quick charge wire you can try this experiment, an FPS that runs at 60 fps will give the best results, e.g. COD2 or COD4.

First using wireless move the aim around, then plug in the quick charge cable and try it again.

Wireless feel floaty compared to wired. But don't confuse the analog stick dead zone with lag.

On the other hand I cannot detect any discernible lag with the DS3.

MS needs to fix this stat!

Um... Wireless controllers ALWAYS the wireless I believe, even when plugged in with the charge kit. The USB cable doesn't carry data.

Kyoufu

deepbrown said:
Uh NO i don't. It comes up saying I've got and says it's a new blocking ability....but then the level ends and it doesn't tell me. It's told me ALL the other abilities with button presses included, so I know the tutorials on. I don't care whether it's a glitch, I'm not going to cry about it. I just thought I'd come to the nice people at GAF and ask if they could help me out.

You can just go to Library and pick Nero's Actions. It shows a looping video of the abilities you've gained and how to do them.

deepbrown

Kyoufu said:
You can just go to Library and pick Nero's Actions. It shows a looping video of the abilities you've gained and how to do them.
Thank you, does the ability have a name? Because I've looked at the item (the sheild) and it doesn't tell me there.

Narcosis

Kittonwy said:
Sometimes I'm doing them continuously sometimes I'm just doing the just rev with the occasional max act. I think when you hit the right rhythm you can really milk the max act, but it's pretty hard. I find just-releases to be harder to do, but obviously WAY more pay-off. It's probably easy for some people to consistently pull it off.
Indifferent2.gif

I can't nail the Max-Act at will to save my life, but I know what you mean on hitting the rhythm. I got in a groove where I did like 4 or 5 in a row by pure luck in Bloody Palace and wish I could do that anytime I felt like it

UK Charts (most recent)

1) Devil May Cry 4 (360)
2) Mario & Sonic At The Olympics (DS)
3) Wii Play
4) Devil May Cry 4 (PS3)
5) PDC World Championship Darts (Wii)
6) Turok (360)
7) Brain Training
8) Turok (PS3)
9) Burnout Paradise (PS3)
10) More Brain Training

source: kotaku

Zzoram

C- Warrior said:
UK Charts (most recent)

1) Devil May Cry 4 (360)
2) Mario & Sonic At The Olympics (DS)
3) Wii Play
4) Devil May Cry 4 (PS3)
5) PDC World Championship Darts (Wii)
6) Turok (360)
7) Brain Training
8) Turok (PS3)
9) Burnout Paradise (PS3)
10) More Brain Training

source: kotaku

yesss DMC5 2009

I think I suck at this game.

I've only gotten one S rank level (the first) and one S rank combo (on the second secret mission). The game isn't hard on human mode...have yet to die. But, I cannot get any combos going. It seems as if the game penalizes you for doing the same attack over and over. Any tips?

siamesedreamer said:

I've only gotten one S rank level (the first) and one S rank combo (on the second secret mission). The game isn't hard on human mode...have yet to die. But, I cannot get any combos going. It seems as if the game penalizes you for doing the same attack over and over. Any tips?

Check out the skill list sub-menu at the upgrade / statue screen.

And get used taking things in the air, and keeping it there via snatch / buster.

siamesedreamer said:

If you're still early on in the game it is hard to build up stylish combos. It gets easier as you earn proud souls and buy new moves. Keep mixing up your attacks between stading, jumping, melee and ranged. Try to use taunts, especially after dodging an enemies attack.

siamesedreamer said:

Don't do the same move twice. Use every attack you have until you run out, then start over. It's easier when you buy more moves. And buy those moves before the abilities please. And be creative.

I'm starting level 8 now and I think auto is on. Can I turn it off without starting over?

Also, how do you keep things in the air with snatch, etc? Whenever I grab someone in the air it just throws him to the ground.

siamesedreamer said:
I'm starting level 8 now and I think auto is on. Can I turn it off without starting over?

Also, how do you keep things in the air with snatch, etc? Whenever I grab someone in the air it just throws him to the ground.

Yes, just go to mission select, press L1 to switch between auto and manual.

to snatch you need to lock and then press O.

siamesedreamer said:

You shouldn't have to think if auto is on.

Essentially, do you find your character -automatically- performing special attacks randomly? If so, auto is set to on.

As for switching it to off (if it is on) -- simply go to the mission menu and change your character (L1/R1 or a simple left/right on the analog) to switch from Nero ON to Nero OFF.

Though, I think you would seriously have noticed something 'is up' if auto was on and you've been playing the game for a solid 8 missions.

Anyway, try this. Rev up your sword (don't worry about just-revving) just do it the slow, old fashioned way.

And then perform a streak (while revved up) R1+foward+Triangle (that's a good way to easily bump it up from a D to C) follow with a snatch to a buster, snatch another enemy, knock it up in the air, do some air combos and slam it the ground, quickly snatch another enemy while you're still in the air, then follow with a split (chop down attack) -- quickly rev up again, and do another charged streak (r1 foward triangle).

Defuser

Bebpo said:
How the fuck do you do secret mission 7? It seems like the only way you can dodge the hits from the mephistos that will knock you off the platform is to jump. But when you jump others will hit you in the air and knock you off.

Even if there were NO enemies it'd still be a tough mission because of the fast platforming towards the end. Doing that with infinite respawning enemies is such BS. I've been trying for 30 mins now with no luck. Maybe I should just wait until I have super Nero.
Pandora box + Gunslinger my friend. Just fly to the blue orb. :lol

Top Bottom