• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Dibbz

Danielsan said:
That just reminded me how much better the story (and music) in DMC3 is. I'm not entirely sure though about the choreography. DMC4 has some really really awsome choreography easily on par with DMC3.
Yeah I have to say I liked DMC3's music a lot more. There is one track that I was blown away by and that was the track that plays whilst you fight that plant woman.

http://www.stage6.com/user/yoyoo/video/1953890/devil-may-cry-4_snake-boss-gameplay

One thing that I like about DMC4's cutscenes is they show at lot more ass kicking. DMC3 has a few but DMC4 just piled on the awesomeness, especially in Dante scenes.

newsguy

Ok, I got it yesterday and I played a bit. I'm on Devil Hunter mode and I think I'm around stage 8 (just got to the jungle). At what stage does the difficulty ramp up like stated in the reviews on DH mode? Not that it's overly easy right now, but I just want to know when to start priming my DS3 for it's imminent flight across the room. I hate the camera, no exceptions, it just fucking sucks. I can't remember playing a game with the locked down crap since the old RE and I remember exactly why it sucks.

Enjoying the combat immensly, I haven't played the series since part 1 so it's nice to get into a hardcore action game after Ninja Gaiden. Love the boss battles so far, although I have to admit I don't really get some of the secret missions. Like I got one telling me to do 5 busters without hitting the ground, I don't even know how to go about that. I use the DB and keep juggling? Anyways, I'm one of the few who will be proud with simply beating the game, so I only concentrate on the Secret Missions I can actually do.

Danielsan

newsguy said:
Ok, I got it yesterday and I played a bit. I'm on Devil Hunter mode and I think I'm around stage 8 (just got to the jungle). At what stage does the difficulty ramp up like stated in the reviews on DH mode? Not that it's overly easy right now, but I just want to know when to start priming my DS3 for it's imminent flight across the room. I hate the camera, no exceptions, it just fucking sucks. I can't remember playing a game with the locked down crap since the old RE and I remember exactly why it sucks.

Enjoying the combat immensly, I haven't played the series since part 1 so it's nice to get into a hardcore action game after Ninja Gaiden. Love the boss battles so far, although I have to admit I don't really get some of the secret missions. Like I got one telling me to do 5 busters without hitting the ground, I don't even know how to go about that. I use the DB and keep juggling? Anyways, I'm one of the few who will be proud with simply beating the game, so I only concentrate on the Secret Missions I can actually do.
The difficulty kinda ramps up at the end of mission 8 but DH really isn't the place to look for a good challenge. SoS is a lot better in that regard.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Can someone give a better explantion on the blue Orb in Mission 10 and the 2nd one in the 3rd. The FAQs one kind of confused me...what evelators and such?

Danielsan

shintoki said:
Can someone give a better explantion on the blue Orb in Mission 10 and the 2nd one in the 3rd. The FAQs one kind of confused me...what evelators and such?
At a certain point in mission 10 you are asked to insert an item in order to activate an elevator (Dante later gets to take that item from that point). Instead of activating the elevator you should jump up upwards on the beam of the circle shaped elevatorshaft (you need airhike). It's on the second or thirth beam I believe.

Prince8

Banned
Just finished my first playthrough. I liked this game a lot a lot more then the first one. First of all, the overall setting is just WAAAAAAAY better. The only thing I liked more in DMC3 were the "demon" bosses... aside from Berial, nothing interesting to see here. Really liked the humanoid bosses though. Nero is a really great character, and I hope that he'll be of major importance (read: main character) in DMC5.

dralla

yay, finally S'd mission 8 in SoS. it's all about the Credo fight, if you can hold a SSS for a while, you'll get enough style points. I've gotten pretty good at catching his spear

Narag

Lost it on stage 66 of the Bloody Palace. What a horrible fight. :lol

Blitz followed by two sword knights on timed spawns

Dibbz

Bleh! :D

Wonder how many people in the leaderboards are using Dante. They should atleast identify who is using Dante or Nero when your looking at the leaderboards.

Dibbz

Junpei Heat said:
Holy shit that was nuts. Credo was one of the best fights in the game, the location of it was awesome, only wish it had better music.

TBH the end fight should have been something similar to this fight.
I hated having to constatly use nero's devil bringer to climb upto the old man. Give me a fair one on one fight like Vergil from DMC3 or Dante and Credo from DMC4. Would have been a lot better than spending most of the fight trying to knock the old man's shield down. :/

Bebpo

Banned
If you use a super character in any mode the best rank you can get is a C. I tried super nero out on human and got all S/S/S and a C rank and like jack shit proud souls ;_;

Kyoufu said:
Blitz can kick your ass on any difficulty lol, best enemy design in the game, IMO.

You mean most annoying enemy design in the game.

Hopping around for 2 mins shooting until you can actually damage him is the complete opposite of fun IMO.

Narag

Bebpo said:
If you use a super character in any mode the best rank you can get is a C. I tried super nero out on human and got all S/S/S and a C rank and like jack shit proud souls ;_;

You mean most annoying enemy design in the game.

Hopping around for 2 mins shooting until you can actually damage him is the complete opposite of fun IMO.

Level 20 is pretty abusable for proud souls. 2-3k for a 3 minute fight on Devil Hunter.

Also, what's the song being played in the 2nd half of the attract?

Lightning

Banned
DarkAngelYuna said:
I'm at level 19 finally. Those shark like bitches that stay in the ground and randomly jump up piss me off so much =\
I shoot their tail to slow them down and then pummel them. They are easier with Nero because of DB but Dante's Stinger works well as well. They are a stupid enemy though, there is always 1 in a DMC game. :lol

Bebpo

Banned
Narag said:
Level 20 is pretty abusable for proud souls. 2-3k for a 3 minute fight on Devil Hunter.

Yeah, but I still need 60k+ >_< Would rather run through human for it since I haven't done Human yet and I hate seeing all the other stuff at 20 (outside hell and hell) and Human at like 3 :\

I think the game is a bit bonked on proud souls. It's going to take me 40 hours to have all the skills. Bloody Palace really should pay out a whole lot more than it does considering the game time and enemies killed.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Kyoufu said:
You could always download a gamesave, but that may cheapen the experience for you.
Odd question...but how does one even download a game save?:lol I heard about it...but I don't know how they do it lol.

Also other question...is it 1mil red orbs total that you have to have...or is it 1mil overall where you can have spent some on the way

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Alright, so I am Dante in the forest level and I have been EVERYWHERE, all combonations of paths in the Lost Woods, EVERYWHERE. Where the hell do I go??!

Bebpo

Banned
NameGenerated said:
Alright, so I am Dante in the forest level and I have been EVERYWHERE, all combonations of paths in the Lost Woods, EVERYWHERE. Where the hell do I go??!

Under the bridge.

NameGenerated said:

The forest level is easily the wost one in the game. Horrible level design.

Aurora

Well that was shit. I just completed Human mode and I unlocked nothing but some gallery. Turns out you only unlock Bloody Palace by completing Devil Hunter mode... oh well at least I got the achievements for Human.

Can anyone tell me if my Proud Souls and Orbs are carried over if I start on DH now?

PS: I started Human because this is my first DMC.

NameGenerated

dralla said:
do the lost woods puzzle again
I've tried every combination of paths multiple times. Going straight is the only path that doesn't send you into a pit and in the next area they all do...unless you go backwards...

Aurora

Haha I spent around 45 minutes on that level just trying to get the hell out.

Make it all the way to the church and instead of heading up the stairs to the right, just go to the passage on the left.

Narag

NameGenerated said:
I've tried every combination of paths multiple times. Going straight is the only path that doesn't send you into a pit and in the next area they all do...unless you go backwards...

Yup. Note the shadows on the 2nd part of that puzzle.

NameGenerated

Yeah, I did that once but it didn't make sense to me. I don't know why you wouldn't be in the previous area or the sun changes positions in the sky?

Desi

NameGenerated said:
Yeah, I did that once but it didn't make sense to me. I don't know why you wouldn't be in the previous area or the sun changes positions in the sky?
yes
look at your shadow, it must be behind you
do that three times and you be out.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
_leech_ said:

I just hit this level and I had to turn it off. Yeah, I'm playing slowly along, but those new enemies + shitty shadows = Ray Charles'd. =/ I'm beginning to think this game isn't for me anymore. I really enjoyed DMC3, but I find myself frustrated most of the time playing 4.

slade

_leech_ said:

The forest level wasn't so bad. The main thing I didn't like about it was the slowdown. The shadows could use more work but I'm not gonna stand there and stare at them retardedly for hours at a time. Hopefully they fix the slowdown in the Special Edition.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
slade said:
The forest level wasn't so bad. The main thing I didn't like about it was the slowdown. The shadows could use more work but I'm not gonna stand there and stare at them retardedly for hours at a time. Hopefully they fix the slowdown in the Special Edition.
Special Edition...Would be awesome. Let us Play as Nero/Dante the whole way through. Give Nero some new weapons. A new boss encounter or two. Be so awesome that it would

Man, I've had my 360 since launch and I rarely will pay for download content but this is one of the few games I really wouldn't mind buying more content for ><

hteng

Banned
new blood palace scores

clear time 2:01:15
time extension 2:38:28
Total Scores 4135605
red orbs 84290

shit, the highest score in bloody palace is like 520k, how the hell do they do that

Narag

hteng said:
new blood palace scores

clear time 2:01:15
time extension 2:38:28
Total Scores 4135605
red orbs 84290

shit, the highest score in bloody palace is like 520k, how the hell do they do that

Possible No Damage bonus? I shudder to think about that effort though.

I hate Dante in this game, I've become so reliant on the devil bringer and reving taking out enemies seems pretty hard. Though it could be due to the fact that most enemies are designed for Nero. Damn you Mephistoes! That said, I've not been having a hard time with Blitzes.

MechaX

So, I was reading Bebpo's comment about Blitz having the most annoying enemy design, and I was just think "Eh. A DMC enemy hasn't been truly threatening since DMC1's Shadow", and decided to boot up where I left off (SoS Mode Mission 13).

Within a minute of starting the mission, the ground started rumbling.

I didn't really process what was going on, because I was so used to fighting scarecrows and little plant things. Things went downhill the moment Dante got struck by that bolt of lightning and to my dismay, a Blitz showed up.

30 Seconds later, I get Blitz-pwned and his suicide move took me down from full life to a centimeter of life.

Blitzes are evil. EVIL. Jeez, I would hate to see what Shadows would have been like if they made it into the game...

hteng

Banned
Narag said:
Possible No Damage bonus? I shudder to think about that effort though.

you'd need super human reflexes and stamina to go through 2 hours of endless onslaught without taking damage lol. Some fights are so damn cheap you'll definitely get hit (huge swarms of hellhounds and flying swords comes to mind). But i think the key is probably keeping your style at SSS at all times.

NameGenerated

Spirit of Jazz said:
I hate Dante in this game, I've become so reliant on the devil bringer and reving taking out enemies seems pretty hard. Though it could be due to the fact that most enemies are designed for Nero. Damn you Mephistoes! That said, I've not been having a hard time with Blitzes.
Agreed, fuck the Mephitoes with Dante.

Narag

Coyote owns the mephistos with Dante. Charged shots are good and if you're on the earlier difficulties, switch to gunslinger and use fireworks at closerange midair.

Top Bottom