• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Tokubetsu

MechaX said:
So, I was reading Bebpo's comment about Blitz having the most annoying enemy design, and I was just think "Eh. A DMC enemy hasn't been truly threatening since DMC1's Shadow", and decided to boot up where I left off (SoS Mode Mission 13).

Within a minute of starting the mission, the ground started rumbling.

I didn't really process what was going on, because I was so used to fighting scarecrows and little plant things. Things went downhill the moment Dante got struck by that bolt of lightning and to my dismay, a Blitz showed up.

30 Seconds later, I get Blitz-pwned and his suicide move took me down from full life to a centimeter of life.

Blitzes are evil. EVIL. Jeez, I would hate to see what Shadows would have been like if they made it into the game...

Yep, blitz are fucking horrible. I'm beginning to feel like every DMC game has to have that one enemy type that's pretty much just like a miniboss fight. DMC3 had those reaper things and dmc1 had the shadows. Reapers weren't a HUGE pain but enough to work your strategy around eliminating them as soon as possible

Narag said:
Coyote owns the mephistos with Dante. Charged shots are good and if you're on the earlier difficulties, switch to gunslinger and use fireworks at closerange midair.

Thanks, was stupid of me to use ebony & ivory, get impatient then start air-comboing them. Especially given I was using Coyote charages to make life against the Blitzes easy.

Narag

Spirit of Jazz said:
Thanks, was stupid of me to use ebony & ivory, get impatient then start air-comboing them. Especially given I was using Coyote charages to make life against the Blitzes easy.

It pains me to admit this but I don't really care for E&I this time around. :(

Sandman42

Narag said:
Coyote owns the mephistos with Dante. Charged shots are good and if you're on the earlier difficulties, switch to gunslinger and use fireworks at closerange midair.
The Mephistos and Fausts aren't so much difficult as they are time consuming to defeat. It takes a bunch of shots to bring them down into critter form, and if you don't kill them before they regenerate their cloak, they take even longer.

Narag

Sandman42 said:
The Mephistos and Fausts aren't so much difficult as they are time consuming to defeat. It takes a bunch of shots to bring them down into critter form, and if you don't kill them before they regenerate their cloak, they take even longer.

Give Fireworks Air a shot regardless. Just tested it on SoS and 2 attacks with it was enough to knock cloaks off the Mephistos. Takes forever otherwise.

burgerdog

Tried Berial in DMD, couldn't do it in the three attempts that I gave it before I had to stop for a bit. Problem might be that I'm being too aggressive and not hanging back and taking opportunities.

evolution

Just finished and enjoyed pretty much everything. Most games i've played this gen have been really good, but really short. Im not sure how long it took me to complete DMC4, but the length (for an action game) seemed perfect I didn't really feel like anything was thrown in to make it longer. I hope capcom keeps both characters going

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Does Dante have an aerial sword dash like Nero's R1+back then forward+/\ ?

I have full swordmaster and I don't see one, it's kind of annoying just doing the streak to get to my opponents.

hteng

Banned
NameGenerated said:

I have full swordmaster and I don't see one, it's kind of annoying just doing the streak to get to my opponents.

dante don't have aerial streak, dante has trickster

slade

NameGenerated said:

Bring Trickster up to level four. You can instantaneously teleport to the enemy.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
What's a good mission to grind out some orbs on? So far, I'm up to the second forest mission with Nero.

Narag

DarkAngelYuna said:
Confused, finally beat the game... Did the 1:30 thing and opened up the secret ending.. but didn't get the achievement for doing so. -_-

I don't think there is one for doing that actually.

Kintaro said:
What's a good mission to grind out some orbs on? So far, I'm up to the second forest mission with Nero.

Mission 2 works. Its lightweight, there's the two orb caches on the tower, the combat adjuticator, the group of 6 in the first mine shaft, the orb crystal, and berial.

Red Mercury said:
So I've got the new weapon, can't recall what it is off the top of my head but hopefully that opens up more combo possibilities.

Gilgamesh + Swordmaster makes for fun times.

So I'm sure this has been mentioned 100 times before, but I was really looking forward to playing as Dante even though I was enjoying playing as Nero.

But fuck. I'm like entirely lost now without the devil bring to string along combos. It seems counter intuitive to have to take my thumb off the stick to switch styles and the number of combos feels incredibly limited at this point.

I did trudge through the forest stage, and I agree with the earlier comments up thread that this was just a horribly designed level for Dante. I know why they did it that way, but jesus I was just running around and found my way through by sheer luck. If I continually made the wrong turn instead of just a few times, I think I would have just stopped there.

So I've got the new weapon, can't recall what it is off the top of my head but hopefully that opens up more combo possibilities.

KGKK

Banned
For the forest level as Dante, just follow the laughter and taunting of the snake lady. It is what helped me get through it.:D

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
dralla said:
Mission 11 boss, can you deflect the savior's arm with the DB or do you have to dodge it?

Yes, you should be able to DB it. That'll make Sanctus pop out and it'll stun him too.

gray_fox224

In the castle with Nero; where do I go after lowering the bridge? I got lost ans I backtracked to the main room with the painting of the old fart.

Thanks.

Reno said:
Yes, you should be able to DB it. That'll make Sanctus pop out and it'll stun him too.

::smacks forehead::

I never thought to try that! I'm such an idiot.
To think, I even figured out I could DB the final boss out of his desperation charge. =/

Desi

gray_fox224 said:
In the castle with Nero; where do I go after lowering the bridge? I got lost ans I backtracked to the main room with the painting of the old fart.

Thanks.
to the bridge...

Go to either door next to the painting. Run along beat up some Frosts and zone into the other side which is where the bridge is.

Maggot9

Banned
Kintaro said:
Mission 7. Right at the beginning there's a red orb statue you can destroy. It takes about 10-15 seconds. Restart the level once it's destroyed. Very quick orbs.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
gray_fox224 said:
FUCK!!!

I keep on thinking this game saves anywhere....

It should. :lol It should autosave after every loading screen. =(

Thanks for the tips on Orb farming guys.

Man, beat human and just flew through the first 3 levels on DH in about 20 minutes real quick. I still rarely ever can get Max ACT to work =\ When it does work its fucking hot though =]

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, so I'm playing through Hell and Hell and like I thought after getting to SoS and seeing no "Style requirement" the H&H req was bullshit as well.

Hell and Hell is just:
-SoS mode
-4 hits until your dead

With Super Characters it's pretty easy. SoS enemies and bosses don't have that big of lifebars and they dizzy real easy. Without super characters I think it's plently doable for the high level players, but probably too much for me.

If it was DMD mode I would say only the best players in the world would be able to finish it with normal chars, but SoS mode is kinda a joke after you've beaten DMD. The enemies/bosses seem so slow and tame and die so quickly.

Also finished doing all the secret missions. Damn those were some of the most annoying moments in video-gaming.

probune

Finished Human difficulty. Man, it's SO easy especially since the first DMC I played was the original DMC3 edition :lol Devil Hunter is pretty easy so far too, taking down the fire boss was SO easy whereas even on Easy in DMC3 I died to the first boss over and over and over again.

DiddyBop

jus finished human mode and played the first two missions on DH. so far it seems pretty easy,prolyl cause my nero has a lot more skill this time around. cant wait to try the other difficulites. i will probably top out at SoS or DMD,i forgot which one is highe but whichever one is,ima stop there. wont touch the hell modes.

Narag

Give Heaven or Hell a shot for the hilarity involved. Everything dies in one shot but you can shoot faster than the enemies can fight back.

Victrix

*beard*
I'm only about half way through on DH now, but does it get harder? While I have to learn the bosses as I encounter them, the normal enemies are so much combo fodder. What's bugging me more is the numbers of enemies feels really low :(

Just as I get into a groove and start going to town, they all die on me. Does this change later, or do the higher difficulties have more enemies?

Narag

Victrix said:
Just as I get into a groove and start going to town, they all die on me. Does this change later, or do the higher difficulties have more enemies?

As you proceed in difficulty levels, enemies will have more life, be more aggressive, and in some cases, the enemy placement will be different so you'll encounter higher level threats earlier and at times increased numbers.

Victrix said:
I'm only about half way through on DH now, but does it get harder? While I have to learn the bosses as I encounter them, the normal enemies are so much combo fodder. What's bugging me more is the numbers of enemies feels really low :(

SoS is a challange, the first 3 are easy missions, but 4 gets a little tough, blitz raped me. there has to be a faster way to kill him, I already use the L3 charged shot.

Narag

Toonami 99 said:
SoS is a challange, the first 3 are easy missions, but 4 gets a little tough, blitz raped me. there has to be a faster way to kill him, I already use the L3 charged shot.

If that's the museum room, you can use the gyroblade. Otherwise I'm still at a loss to take their shields down quickly.

Bebpo said:
Ok, so I'm playing through Hell and Hell and like I thought after getting to SoS and seeing no "Style requirement" the H&H req was bullshit as well.

Hell and Hell is just:
-SoS mode
-4 hits until your dead

With Super Characters it's pretty easy. SoS enemies and bosses don't have that big of lifebars and they dizzy real easy. Without super characters I think it's plently doable for the high level players, but probably too much for me.

If it was DMD mode I would say only the best players in the world would be able to finish it with normal chars, but SoS mode is kinda a joke after you've beaten DMD. The enemies/bosses seem so slow and tame and die so quickly.

Also finished doing all the secret missions. Damn those were some of the most annoying moments in video-gaming.
That's kinda a bummer, I figured it'd just be the new DMD (I didn't take much stock in the SSS stuff), but if it's just SOS with less damage that's not too bad. By the way, how are the supers handled in 4? Infinite DT with no healing?

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I FINALLY GOT THE GAME!!

I'm just waiting for it to install. I like how they tell you what happened in the previous DMC games whilst its installing. I've forgotten the details of DMC1 and I never played DMC2, so this is quite useful.

psycho_snake

I'm trying to choose which mode to play on; Human or Devil hunter. I've played DMC1 and DMC3, but I wasnt brilliant at either, so that would be my reason for playing on Human. However I dont want the game to bee too easy, so thats why I'm thinking of playing on Devil Hunter.

I think I'm going to go for Devil Hunter

Kyoufu

psycho_snake said:
I'm trying to choose which mode to play on; Human or Devil hunter. I've played DMC1 and DMC3, but I wasnt brilliant at either, so that would be my reason for playing on Human. However I dont want the game to bee too easy, so thats why I'm thinking of playing on Devil Hunter.

I think I'm going to go for Devil Hunter

Go for Devil Hunter, its the "Normal" difficulty and is just right for all newcomers. Human is weaksauce when enemies die from one buster :/

psycho_snake

Kyoufu said:
Go for Devil Hunter, its the "Normal" difficulty and is just right for all newcomers. Human is weaksauce when enemies die from one buster :/
Thats what I did. I dont want the game to be too easy.

The good thing is that they've included some somrt of checkpoint system. Thats what really pissed mee of about DMC3. The difficulty was good, but I'd usually die on the bosses a couple of times, which meant I had to do the mission all over again. It became frustrating and tedious. I've heard that in DMC4, you start in the room before the boss if you die whilst fighting the boss, which is great. Its a lot more conveniant and it makes the game easier to like because you dont get so frustrated.

Victrix

*beard*
Narag said:
As you proceed in difficulty levels, enemies will have more life, be more aggressive, and in some cases, the enemy placement will be different so you'll encounter higher level threats earlier and at times increased numbers.

Fucking christ, I take it back,
Dante 2
was an absolute bitch, and once I finally figured out how to handle him, I beat it to learn he'd been pussified because I died so much. HUMILIATION :(

I saw a potential way to cheese him, but that's no fun, I had to beat him clean, so for anyone who cares

If you tap (not spam) your gun, Dante will respond with shots to block yours. This just *barely* gives you an opening at close range to take one swing. However, it isn't that simple - first, the swing has to connect, so if you're just out of range, expect to eat a full combo. Second, you need to make sure the blade is charged before you swing. A normal swing is too slow, and most of the time, he'll hit you before you can hit him. A charged blade however, will hit every time, and you can lead from there into a combo.

I'm not 100% sure on the combo damages, but I used YY -> YYY -> Devil Bringer. The more instant revs you mix in, the better obviously. Once you lock him in a DB grip, you get a button mashing contest. Wail away, but be ready, because while sometimes Nero knocks Dante away or faceplants him, sometimes he simply breaks the lock with Dante staggered - if you're fast, you can immediately go into another combo, into another DB.

The other option is to dodge his air to ground strike by tap jumping (not too high, you need to land fast), then comboing him immediately as he lands. Be careful, he likes to Stinger after landing.

You can't break out of his @#$@#$@ blade combos, but you CAN devil trigger out, so save your meter for this occasion. If you get whacked, trigger out and re-engage. If you get him into a combo, leave DT active, but if he evades or you miss, cancel it immediately, you want it built up again in case he lands a combo. Don't DT close to him if you're not breaking a combo, it'll stagger him, giving him full invuln and recovery.

You can hit him with your own lunging stinger, but it knocks him down, so I didn't find it particularly useful, other than to close distance to get back into gun->combo range.

On the upshot, after that, I got to play with Dante, who is an absolute freaking monster :D

As for Nero, I'm surprised at how quickly I adjusted to instant rev, I was landing a whole lot of 75%+ instant rev chains, of all combo types. There are still a few I find a bit tricky, but I'm way better at revving than I expected to be. It's damn cool :)

I'm also getting fairly comfortable at charging my gun while swinging and chaining combos into a satisfying *thunk thunk* bullet load to the face.

One thing that sucks however, is that on the 360 pad, I *cannot* charge a gun, swing my blade, and use the Devil Bringer at the same time :( Those fat buttons defeat me, if I try to hold X, hitting B is basically impossible while I'm swinging.

Anyway. More Dante style switching fun.

Also, WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME STYLE DOESN'T TIMEOUT IN BATTLE. AGHHHHHHH. I always thought that if the meter depleted, the Style dropped to D or F instantly. I'm such a retard, my average style has gone up immensely since now I don't feel like I'm in a constant race against the clock, massively favoring offense over defense, inevitably fucking up an evasion due to the complete shit dodge controls (seriously, camera/enemy relative, fucking brilliant, hurrrrrrr)

Aske

Finished my first run yesterday (Devil Hunter), and just beat Credo on SoS. This game is amazing. As a DMC fan who ranks the gameplay of the first game above the third, DMC4 feels like the first sequel that builds on the foundation of DMC 1 without sacrificing anything that made the original great. The bosses are fantastic, the pacing is slick, and Nero's combat is sublime. Just-EX, Buster and Snatch are such simple additions, but they open up the traditional sword and gun play mechanics magnificently and feel incredibly satisfying which really is the hallmark of DMC's best combat features.

I'm so glad the art style, atmosphere and enemies are all inspired by the DMC1 design philosophy. I hope they bring back revamped Shadows as DLC, but I'm more than content with the White Knights, Blitzes and Blades.

I wish the Devil Hunter, SoS, and possibly DMD modes were tougher; that the shadows looked better in the forest, and that Blue Rose was worth using without a charge; but those are pretty minor criticisms. Blue Rose probably bothers me most since it fires at a slower rate than Ebony and Ivory, yet seems to do even less damage. It does make E&I feel even more welcome later in the game though, and that was before I bought Honeycomb Fire and fell in love with them all over again.

No idea why this game is scoring anything less than 9 in the gaming press. It's Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner all over again.

burgerdog

I went back to try Berial in DMD mode and ended up getting an S rank, and then proceeded to get S rank for the next two missions as well. It's funny because I frankly don't give a fuck about what rank I get in this mode. I just want to complete it and get the super characters. Hm, so Hell and Hell doesn't sound that bad after all. IF I'm able to complete DMD mode then I'll definitely try H&H.

I am a DMC newcomer and I am finding Human difficulty way too easy. I am currently on Mission 9 and I have yet to use any health potions ( I forget what they're called).

I do have a question though: How do I get to exceed level 2? I purchased the upgrade, but I don't know how to use it. Do I have to do 2 instant revs successively?

Top Bottom