• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Kyoufu

Kestastrophe said:
I am a DMC newcomer and I am finding Human difficulty way too easy. I am currently on Mission 9 and I have yet to use any health potions ( I forget what they're called).

I do have a question though: How do I get to exceed level 2? I purchased the upgrade, but I don't know how to use it. Do I have to do 2 instant revs successively?

Exceed Level 2 is performed by using a move like say, Streak when you have 2 lights filled on your lamp. Level 3 is a full lamp.

The level upgrades aren't worth it until you get Max-ACT.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Finished the first mission. I'll play more after I finish my work.

I love the cutscene with Dante and Nero fighting. Its over the top action and it looks fucking brilliant. This is why I love DMC cutscenes so much.

maskrider

Mefisutoferesu said:
That's kinda a bummer, I figured it'd just be the new DMD (I didn't take much stock in the SSS stuff), but if it's just SOS with less damage that's not too bad. By the way, how are the supers handled in 4? Infinite DT with no healing?

HAH is not like SoS for damage from what I'd tried, it is one hit kill, but you have 3 golden orbs that you can revive 3 times, it means you can be hit 4 times. For super chars, infinite DT and no healing.

Dibbz

Wow ok so I was on Mission 4 on SoS when a Blitz came out of the floor. Bit bloody early for him aint it. Killed me a few times, but I got the hang of Nero's charged shot, so I took him down fairly easily.

It's a tough enemy but I like fighting him. Frosts on the other hand can just get the hell out. x(

That damn toad ruined the mission for me. I was getting S's for my style then I ran into him. How the hell are you supposed to get a combo going when he keeps jumping backwards?

KdoubleA

I really enjoy fighting the Blitz. He's a tough enemy but it feels rewarding when you beat him...I really like how he just keeps going after you; reminds me of some of the tougher enemies in Ninja Gaiden.
Regarding the one in Mission 4 in the museum room, it's better to beat him without using the Gyro Blade becuase you'll have a higher chance of getting a Stylish ranking and more points against him....Plus it's always a treat to see the shit kicked out of him with Nero's Buster :lol

gray_fox224 said:
FUCK!!!

I keep on thinking this game saves anywhere....

Speaking of saving. I went out to eat last night forgetting to save after the 2nd boss battle. Thank god he's easy. I must have skipped saving after the mission was over.

the only things I don't like about this game are how you jump straight up and how you can only dodge perpendicular to your enemy. it gets frustrating sometimes dodging or jumping right into an attack like the blitz lightning. It's been like that for all 4 games, couldn't they at least let you jump forward without running off a cliff or something?

Mr Spliff

What is this Royal Guard glitch that people are talking about? I can't find it in this thread and I would appreciate any explanation. Thanks in advance!

God's Beard said:
the only things I don't like about this game are how you jump straight up and how you can only dodge perpendicular to your enemy. it gets frustrating sometimes dodging or jumping right into an attack like the blitz lightning. It's been like that for all 4 games, couldn't they at least let you jump forward without running off a cliff or something?
god yes...please separate the jump/dodge in DMC5. i get so tired of rolling to the side when i want to jump sideways while locked on to an enemy

Future

Playing through a second time in SOS, and I'm lost in the fuckin forest again. Not the one with the purple fog with Dante, but the one after that. Camera keeps flippin me around and every door leads to a broken bridge or some shit

FUCK I hate this level. 4 damn missions are dedicated to this crap

maskrider said:
HAH is not like SoS for damage from what I'd tried, it is one hit kill, but you have 3 golden orbs that you can revive 3 times, it means you can be hit 4 times. For super chars, infinite DT and no healing.
Thanks mask, I must have misread what Bebpo said.

Future said:
Playing through a second time in SOS, and I'm lost in the fuckin forest again. Not the one with the purple fog with Dante, but the one after that. Camera keeps flippin me around and every door leads to a broken bridge or some shit

FUCK I hate this level. 4 damn missions are dedicated to this crap
It's like there's an unwritten rule that forest levels must suck in games :/

Magicpaint said:
It's like there's an unwritten rule that forest levels must suck in games :/

Even the suckiest forest levels don't have flower infected enemies that randomly slice you up when you're trying to grab them.

They were pretty much a non-issue in Human and DH but in SoS it's like every 1.5 seconds they knock me out of a combo. Fucking fuck those fucking fucks!

At least it'll be easier once I come back with Dante..laser cannon those little shits haha!

alba

Little is the new Big
Narag said:
If that's the museum room, you can use the gyroblade. Otherwise I'm still at a loss to take their shields down quickly.

oh my god, how could I forget about that lol, stupid me :D

Mamesj

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Even the suckiest forest levels don't have flower infected enemies that randomly slice you up when you're trying to grab them.

They were pretty much a non-issue in Human and DH but in SoS it's like every 1.5 seconds they knock me out of a combo. Fucking fuck those fucking fucks!

At least it'll be easier once I come back with Dante..laser cannon those little shits haha!

that's wen I decided to map Nero's gun to RT-- level 3 charges + busters are good on them. It's also good to wait until you see them doing that, then rush in for a combo as soon as its done.

Not sure how I'll approach it with Dante :\

Kyoufu

Mamesj said:
that's wen I decided to map Nero's gun to RT-- level 3 charges + busters are good on them. It's also good to wait until you see them doing that, then rush in for a combo as soon as its done.

Not sure how I'll approach it with Dante :\

Gunslinger will be your bestest friend.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I just got to the forest where Dante is. The last boss was a chump, but I have to admit to being creeped out by his
transformation

LowParry

So just beat the game on Devil Hunter. Great great great game. Really enjoyed it. Although I just had one very small complaint.

We only get one scene with Lady? That's it? The fuck was the point of having her there? Fan service for the popin pussy and jigglin boobs?

CcrooK said:
So just beat the game on Devil Hunter. Great great great game. Really enjoyed it. Although I just had one very small complaint.

We only get one scene with Lady? That's it? The fuck was the point of having her there? Fan service for the popin pussy and jigglin boobs?

Two, you get another one if you protect Kyrie for the full 90 seconds at the end. But yeah it's still not enough Lady. :(

LowParry

Ninja Kn1ght said:
Two, you get another one if you protect Kyrie for the full 90 seconds at the end. But yeah it's still not enough Lady. :(

Ohhhhh, I will have to give that try. I failed at that part.

maskrider

CcrooK said:

There are 2 actually, but you must protect the girl until the countdown finish during the credits.

edit: beaten

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Okay need a bit of help...There is a Blue orb on the third level. You have the one where you have to go to the set of grim grips above the initial set right in the beginning. The 2nd one is if you go out of that room and pan the camera back towards it...you notice a wooden door, you can shoot it and it opens. My question is...How do you jump across there to get into that door and get the thrid blue orb?

Bebpo

Banned
Mefisutoferesu said:
Thanks mask, I must have misread what Bebpo said.

HaH, enemies have SoS lifebars and SoS AI and don't DT.

But you die in 1 hit, but you have 3 additional instant auto-respawn lives so you basically get 4 hits. Which honestly isn't all that different form DMD where 5-8 hits will destroy an entire two bars of health with tougher enemies.

Bebpo

Banned
shintoki said:
Okay need a bit of help...There is a Blue orb on the third level. You have the one where you have to go to the set of grim grips above the initial set right in the beginning. The 2nd one is if you go out of that room and pan the camera back towards it...you notice a wooden door, you can shoot it and it opens. My question is...How do you jump across there to get into that door and get the thrid blue orb?

Streak -> Roulette spin -> air hike -> roulette spin.

Takes a lot of tries. The camera is REALLY shit there.

maskrider

shintoki said:

Found a video showing the ways to get the blue orbs (from normal missions, not from secret missions).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtkqgQqEEVA

LTTP

Just beat the game for the first time. Never felt this disappointed in my life since DMC2. The story is atrocious. Nero sucks. The script is horrible. No Vergil, no extra costumes, stupid unlockables. Only 3 weapons for Nero and only 6 for Dante? WTF happened to "DMC4 will have more weapons that all of the previous games combined"??

Beating the game made me feel like I just watched one long ass filler arc that messes and completely ruins the story. Ridiculous. Agnus/Credo/Kyrie are all stupid, useless characters. Even Dante has almost no relevance to the story. Trish did almost nothing, and don't get me started on Lady. The story feels too much like the abysmal DMC anime, but worse. And I know it's all because of Kobayashi, since he worked on the DMC anime too.

All that's left for me in this game is the core gameplay, which is really well refined. All I can think of right now is maxing Dante and start making some crazy combos. I didn't mind the backtracking and the fact that you have to fight bosses multiple times. The level design isn't on the same caliber as DMC1, but it's very hard to compete with Kamiya's genius, especially if you have an idiot like Kobayashi working on the team.

My score: 7.5/10.

I am now officially no longer a DMC fan. I am a DMC1/DMC3 fan. I will not be looking forward to DMC5, unless Capcom admits and realizes all their mistakes in DMC4. Nero should be what Raiden is in MGS4, Dante, Vergil and Sparda should become the main focus again and finally Kobayashi's role should be no higher than coffee-fetcher boy.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Bebpo said:
Streak -> Roulette spin -> air hike -> roulette spin.

Takes a lot of tries. The camera is REALLY shit there.
Thanks lol

Im taking my time through Devil Hunter, Working on collecting all the orbs and everything like that. And this one keeps me waiting:lol

I have been wondering about the discrepancy between those of us that love this game and the overall review scores. Right now its at 83% yes I know the game has issues but this game is about combat, I don't think any game does it better. The action in this game is special, I play lots of action games, almost none match the level of greatness that this game does. Its almost as if the reviewers played the game once just to get through it and wrote their review. Thats not how this game is, this game rewards a player that puts the time into it. I never understood why Ninja Gaiden, a very similar game, also with superb gameplay is a critical darling while the DMC series gets shunned by most. I know NG had more polish, but the action is the same level of quality, its a different style maybe more accessable to the average gamer, I don't know. This is not a NG vs DMC post, they are both excellent for their own reasons, I just don't see why one gets loved the other gets treated like a second rate series.

MiamiWesker said:
I have been wondering about the discrepancy between those of us that love this game and the overall review scores. Right now its at 83% yes I know the game has issues but this game is about combat, I don't think any game does it better. The action in this game is special, I play lots of action games, almost none match the level of greatness that this game does. Its almost as if the reviewers played the game once just to get through it and wrote their review. Thats not how this game is, this game rewards a player that puts the time into it. I never understood why Ninja Gaiden, a very similar game, also with superb gameplay is a critical darling while the DMC series gets shunned by most. I know NG had more polish, but the action is the same level of quality, its a different style maybe more accessable to the average gamer, I don't know. This is not a NG vs DMC post, they are both excellent for their own reasons, I just don't see why one gets loved the other gets treated like a second rate series.

It's just modern gaming getting in the way. To be more precise, the emphasis on story and scenario. The combat is so incredibly solid, but having to trudge through a story and patches of empty space to enjoy it is DMC4's biggest "fault," and I use that term loosely. Personally, if DMC took a Galaxian approach was all Bloody Palace, I'd be just as happy. But, it'll never work that way because a lot of folks need the obligatory story bits to have some emotional investment in their characters.

Edit: I posted this without reading DantesWrath's post. How awkward.

Dartastic

My biggest problem right now once I got Dante is figuring out all his moves and how to utilize them. The game gives you NO indications on how to do any of his moves, whatsoever, so when I level up Trickster, for example, I have no idea what that actually does. Unless there's a move list that I just can't find, the game gives you no indication of how to actually play the thing. That's irritating.

DiddyBop

every movie is detailed in the library at the mission select screen. on a sidenote,why did capcom make the blue rose so useless?

LowParry

I don't see why people would hate the story. It's mainly a small love story with a side of "bring demons to the world, and use them to create a power hungry identity". Nero I thought was the better character over Dante this round. He had the better lines anyway, or so I think. I mean c'mon. This is DMC we're talking about. It's not suppose to have an epic story. If you wanted that, then God of War should be your cup of tea.

LowParry

Dartastic said:
My biggest problem right now once I got Dante is figuring out all his moves and how to utilize them. The game gives you NO indications on how to do any of his moves, whatsoever, so when I level up Trickster, for example, I have no idea what that actually does. Unless there's a move list that I just can't find, the game gives you no indication of how to actually play the thing. That's irritating.

Go into your skill list. It tells you how.

Attack You said:
It's just modern gaming getting in the way. To be more precise, the emphasis on story and scenario. The combat is so incredibly solid, but having to trudge through a story and patches of empty space to enjoy it is DMC4's biggest "fault," and I use that term loosely. Personally, if DMC took a Galaxian approach was all Bloody Palace, I'd be just as happy. But, it'll never work that way because a lot of folks need the obligatory story bits to have some emotional investment in their characters.

Edit: I posted this without reading DantesWrath's post. How awkward.

I wrote that before I saw his post came up, what a bummer. :lol

Sectus

Dartastic said:
There is a move list, and it also indicates which moves are new. I'm pretty sure it can be accessed via the mission menu (which also shows a small video of each move), and via the ingame pause menu (which shows slideshows of each move).

DiddyBop

The story was pretty bad,but obviously that not the main focus of the game anyways. it didnt bug me,im just stating the obvious. the main characters were great though and the last few cutscenes were epic and kinda showed Nero's growth as a legit hero that can save the world.

KdoubleA

DiddyBop said:
every movie is detailed in the library at the mission select screen. on a sidenote,why did capcom make the blue rose so useless?

It's not useless...Especially when you get "Charged Shot 3" and incorporate it more often into your combos. It's especially helpful against the tougher enemies and bosses; e.g. I take down the Blitz's electricity more quickly and it's helpful against the knights and their shields...Also, excellent against Dante.

Dartastic

Sectus said:
There is a move list, and it also indicates which moves are new. I'm pretty sure it can be accessed via the mission menu (which also shows a small video of each move), and via the ingame pause menu (which shows slideshows of each move).

*Slaps forehead*

it took a few tries but I can now get S rank in mission 18. you need at least 5000 style points. And Revenge is powerful enough to stun the savior.

Dante is way too powerful. Seriously! DT + sword style + Gilgamesh + Divine Dragon = Serious damage.

Top Bottom