• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Narag

Draft said:
Every person who thinks Blue Rose is useless is trying to taptaptap and make it an Ebony&Ivory substitute.

If anything, its overpowered. I still <3 it though.

Toonami 99 said:
Dante is way too powerful. Seriously! DT + sword style + Gilgamesh + Divine Dragon = Serious damage.

As it should be!

ezekial45

Banned
DantesWrath said:
LTTP

Just beat the game for the first time. Never felt this disappointed in my life since DMC2. The story is atrocious. Nero sucks. The script is horrible. No Vergil, no extra costumes, stupid unlockables. Only 3 weapons for Nero and only 6 for Dante? WTF happened to "DMC4 will have more weapons that all of the previous games combined"??

Beating the game made me feel like I just watched one long ass filler arc that messes and completely ruins the story. Ridiculous. Agnus/Credo/Kyrie are all stupid, useless characters. Even Dante has almost no relevance to the story. Trish did almost nothing, and don't get me started on Lady. The story feels too much like the abysmal DMC anime, but worse. And I know it's all because of Kobayashi, since he worked on the DMC anime too.

All that's left for me in this game is the core gameplay, which is really well refined. All I can think of right now is maxing Dante and start making some crazy combos. I didn't mind the backtracking and the fact that you have to fight bosses multiple times. The level design isn't on the same caliber as DMC1, but it's very hard to compete with Kamiya's genius, especially if you have an idiot like Kobayashi working on the team.

My score: 7.5/10.

I am now officially no longer a DMC fan. I am a DMC1/DMC3 fan. I will not be looking forward to DMC5, unless Capcom admits and realizes all their mistakes in DMC4. Nero should be what Raiden is in MGS4, Dante, Vergil and Sparda should become the main focus again and finally Kobayashi's role should be no higher than coffee-fetcher boy.

You don't mean that part about no longer being a DMC fan. I agree with some of your statements, but i sort of disagree with most of them. I think Nero is a good character and i'd like to see him come back. Though i agree that the story was disappointing. I was hoping they would move past the Human abusing demonic power plot. Since it was used in 3 straight games.

I absolutely agree with you on Kobayashi. He lied a lot about certain features in this game. Specifically, that more weapons are in this game than any other DMC game combined. Which was a lie. In the future, i hope he keeps his mouth shut.

They made some mistakes with this, but at the same time i feel they did a lot of things right. I'm sure they'll make DMC5 a good one.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Draft said:
Every person who thinks Blue Rose is useless is trying to taptaptap and make it an Ebony&Ivory substitute.
I use it more like the shotgun, Its great for blasting an enemy into the air and then starting your combo or keeping it charged and blast an enemies away when your working on your current one if you play that way. It was really useful for
Dante fight too
. Get close, right when he brings out his sword. Blast him with it and it takes a nice chuck of HP out of him.

Kweh

shintoki said:
I'm not very sure what you mean by that...since your not in the Grand hall for Chapter 9:lol

Hmm maybe i have the wrong chapter . Anyway, I just beat
Credo
and then 3 angel guards, now i'm just in this big hall with nowhere to go that i can see. My arm keeps rumbling but I can't see why...

Narag

Kweh said:
Credo
and then 3 angel guards, now i'm just in this big hall with nowhere to go that i can see. My arm keeps rumbling but I can't see why...

Go outside for the cutscene. Its a bridge blocked by a sephirotic tree. After that come back inside. On your right, a stairway will have opened up. Ascend!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Kweh said:
Credo
In that room, Back left is a Combo meter, You need S to get Blue Orb, Top right has Secret Red orb stash, stand still in that corner and you shall recieve, THe benches also. When you done all of that, Go forward and outside to the Red stick in the ground, action button to start cutscene, lazers appear and then you go back into that room and see a door appeared

Kweh

Narag said:
Go outside for the cutscene. Its a bridge blocked by a sephirotic tree. After that come back inside. On your right, a stairway will have opened up. Ascend!

Nothing seems to happen when i walk outside. THere is a strange red object there aswell, which I can't seem to be able to do anything to...

Wow. First time through I played on human and the entire thing was so simple. Now I'm replaying on DH and it's been extremely easy so far then I just got to the fight with
Credo
and holy crap the game got hard all of a sudden. Took me 3 times to beat that fight since i don't like to use my revive item lol.

DiddyBop

so i need to get charged shot 3 to make the blue rose more useful? i guess that will be my next purchase. also,sinc eim not using it properly,how should i use it?

jvalioli

DarkAngelYuna said:
Wow. First time through I played on human and the entire thing was so simple. Now I'm replaying on DH and it's been extremely easy so far then I just got to the fight with
Credo
and holy crap the game got hard all of a sudden. Took me 3 times to beat that fight since i don't like to use my revive item lol.

Ramps up even more when you get to
Dante
. Actually, I've been stuck on the final stretch for days. It's driving me crazy.

DarkAngelYuna said:
Credo

Nothing stopped me cold going through DH. Most of my boss battles went like this:

first attempt: learn pattern, catch a beatdown.
second attempt: exploit weaknesses, catch a slightly less severe beatdown.
third attempt: bring the pain, and win with a slither of health left.

I refused to use vital stars or yellow orbs...or red balloons, purple horseshoes, green clovers, or pink hearts. Dante, for all the adjusting I took to defeat normal enemies with him, tore through bosses like a fiend.

Attack You said:
Nothing stopped me cold going through DH. Most of my boss battles went like this:

first attempt: learn pattern, catch a beatdown.
second attempt: exploit weaknesses, catch a slightly less severe beatdown.
third attempt: bring the pain, and win with a slither of health left.

I refused to use vital stars or yellow orbs...or red balloons, purple horseshoes, green clovers, or pink hearts. Dante, for all the adjusting I took to defeat normal enemies with him, tore through bosses like a fiend.
I only went human my first time through because thats what everyone had been saying the demo was before the retail came out so I figured that was hard enough considering I haven't played a DMC since the first =\. Oh well first time through was for the story.. and human achievements. -_-

SpokkX

DantesWrath said:
LTTP

Just beat the game for the first time. Never felt this disappointed in my life since DMC2. The story is atrocious. Nero sucks. The script is horrible. No Vergil, no extra costumes, stupid unlockables. Only 3 weapons for Nero and only 6 for Dante? WTF happened to "DMC4 will have more weapons that all of the previous games combined"??

Beating the game made me feel like I just watched one long ass filler arc that messes and completely ruins the story. Ridiculous. Agnus/Credo/Kyrie are all stupid, useless characters. Even Dante has almost no relevance to the story. Trish did almost nothing, and don't get me started on Lady. The story feels too much like the abysmal DMC anime, but worse. And I know it's all because of Kobayashi, since he worked on the DMC anime too.

All that's left for me in this game is the core gameplay, which is really well refined. All I can think of right now is maxing Dante and start making some crazy combos. I didn't mind the backtracking and the fact that you have to fight bosses multiple times. The level design isn't on the same caliber as DMC1, but it's very hard to compete with Kamiya's genius, especially if you have an idiot like Kobayashi working on the team.

I am now officially no longer a DMC fan. I am a DMC1/DMC3 fan. I will not be looking forward to DMC5, unless Capcom admits and realizes all their mistakes in DMC4. Nero should be what Raiden is in MGS4, Dante, Vergil and Sparda should become the main focus again and finally Kobayashi's role should be no higher than coffee-fetcher boy.

I mostly agree. Nero really sucks. Feels very simple compared to Dante and you only get to play Dante for 30% :(

Way worse than DMC3 and a big disappointment for me also

finally got my copy today.

i think i'll take a little nap and dive into it later.

i don't have any psn friends to compete against tho :[

Pedobear said:
Am I the only DMC fan that plays the game for the kickass gameplay and not the horrible plot that sucked since the first game?

The plot in DMC 4 didn't do anything for me, I wouldn't call it horrible though, but I did like Nero and Dante.

Ok, I think I'm starting to get to grips with Dante, just got my first overall S for a mission woo, Mission 15 - S for time, A for style, B for orbs - no items bonus - I hate
Blitz, first time I met him he slaughtered me, had to restart the mission, 2nd time was better but damn they're tricky. The frog boss was easy as hell with Dante and the cutscene with Pandora is great

MechaX

DantesWrath said:
LTTP

Wow. While I do agree that Kobayashi did run at the mouth too many times during DMC4's development (Here's banking for a Special Edition), but I do disagree on pretty much everything else.

Nero actually adds something different to the typical Dante style, and as a character, it isn't like there is anything especially wrong with him. Credo, while a pretty static character, at least provided one of the best boss fights since Nelo Angelo, especially on higher difficulties. Agnus was humorous, and Kyrie was typical damsel caliber. I don't know what most were hoping for out of the story, as it seems that nothing short of a cheesy Vergil revival could have met the overly elevated hype.

Just gotta say once again that this is... wow... best game this gen (so far). I'm charging through tougher and tougher challenges and laugh when I get my ass handed to me, every fight it feels like I'm improving. Total satisfaction.

Though I have to say that I hate fighting the
camera

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
SpokkX said:
I mostly agree. Nero really sucks. Feels very simple compared to Dante and you only get to play Dante for 30% :(

Way worse than DMC3 and a big disappointment for me also
I wouldn't say it is simple at all...Reving is a beautiful thing. I never realized how quicky boss fights went with Nero do to Reving and Devil Bringer.

Xevren

Anyone happen to have any cool looking wallpapers? I've been looking for some and all the ones I have found look poopy.

Bebpo

Banned
DantesWrath said:
LTTP

Keep playing. I was disappointed somewhat on my first run, but after multiple runs with challenging AI where you learn the game like the back of your hand and figure out all the uses for every attack and multiple strats for every enemy; when that all happens the game is great.

I agree there are a lot of flaws. Dante feels pointless, the game is short with not a lot of bosses, story is lolz, and should have been more weapons/db abilities. But what is in the game is some of the best combat ever as Nero is really amazing once you get his gameplay down against tough enemies. It's definitely up with the action "greats" like DMC3/NG/GH even if it might not be quite as good as them. DMC4 should be nice competition for NG2.

MechaX said:
Wow. While I do agree that Kobayashi did run at the mouth too many times during DMC4's development (Here's banking for a Special Edition), but I do disagree on pretty much everything else.

Yeah, while I think the game turned out quality, I think Kobayashi is a damn PR tool and liar. The whole TGS CG unveil "this is the min quality of the graphics of the final version" = @_@

Draft

I don't get the Nero is simple criticism. Multi-weapon combos are just timing. You start with weapon x and begin an attack pattern based on timed hits and weapon switches. Nero combos are also timing. The instarevs require precision timing, the proper use of the snatch and grab moves requires less precise timing, but they do add a whole new layer of depth to the combat.

Real time weapon switching is not some holy grail of action gaming. It was true before DMC4 came out, and it's true now.

patsu

Just a new DMC fan. Drop by to say hi. Thanks for all the fun, Capcom. I really like the game. I think it'd be my second most played PS3 game.
I just beat Credo and got the key

I have a feeling I won't be able to finish the game, but we shall see.

Can some one tell me what went wrong with the DMC anime? I only saw ep 1. Also I am a little dissapointed with nero's story for the game. Capcom went out of their way to make a new character for the series but they didnt explain who he is, where he came from, or how he got his power. Even in the early cut scenes Dante: "you will know the meaning soon enough". We never got to that.

Its also a shame that Nero didnt get any power from Berial either, it would have been great if nero got berial's sword, or his lava attack, or even his explosion.

Narag

Draft said:
I don't get the Nero is simple criticism. Multi-weapon combos are just timing. You start with weapon x and begin an attack pattern based on timed hits and weapon switches. Nero combos are also timing. The instarevs require precision timing, the proper use of the snatch and grab moves requires less precise timing, but they do add a whole new layer of depth to the combat.

Real time weapon switching is not some holy grail of action gaming. It was true before DMC4 came out, and it's true now.

I tend to think Nero's suffering from some generalizations due to his moveset being more limited than Dante. Limited is a bad choice of words too as Nero still offers a deep combat experience. Dante almost offers too much freedom and in gaf's black and white world, this is distilled to "Nero am simple. Dante ftw" rather than recognizing both characters offer a wonderful depth but in two different manners.

Junpei Heat

I beat Berial in DMD without getting hit!
2263413397_bfe67254b2_o.gif

It's understandable why so many of you want Vergil back but he isn't coming back. He's DEAD,unless they retcon the story or do some stupid revival shit,he's gonna stay that way.

dralla

Junpei Heat said:
I beat Berial in DMD without getting hit!
2263413397_bfe67254b2_o.gif

It's understandable why so many of you want Vergil back but he isn't coming back. He's DEAD,unless they retcon the story or do some stupid revival shit,he's gonna stay that way.

He lives on through Nero's arm, just like Liquid Snake.

DantesWrath said:
LTTP

I disagree.

You're fascination and (near-obsession) with Vergil strikes an odd with me. I found DMC4's gameplay to be great. Nero's Devil Arm is great, Dante may have fewer weapons but the depth of Lucifer and Pandora easily outclass it, and the harder difficulty settings of DMC4 are much better tuned than anything in DMC3.

You can be dissapointed with the story because it didn't offer incite to the legacy of Sparda or Dante, but three DMC games have been about that. I found the new perspective between Nero to be fine enough.

I should also say Raiden in MGS2 didn't bother me. Take this for example, if DMC5 stars Al Bundy as the main character, I wouldn't give a fuck as long as the combat and gameplay is fun and deep/rewarding. - I never really understood the DMC's fanbases fascination with DMC's canon. Get the fuck over it, bullets fly and tits bounce, that's what DMC's 'canon' means to me. Excuse me while I go get some SSS ranks on DMD mode.

Bebpo

Banned
Just went through mission 3 on Hell and Hell with a normal character and did it no continues with an S-rank. The hardest part with 1 hit death is the freaking puzzles, lol.

DMD mode is by far the definitive difficulty mode in terms of challenge. Now I see why Hell and Hell (as well as Hell and Heaven) don't even appear on your ranking screen, only Human -> DMD. Those are the real difficulties from easiest to hardest. The two other modes are just bonus stuff to mess around with.

Also the proud soul payout is identical to SoS since in fact you are playing SoS (like the items you picked up in SoS are not there in the two bonus modes). For an S-ranked stage I only got 4k proud souls. DMD still pays the best. In DMD if you die on a boss you get 500 souls per retry, lolz.

Oh and if anyone finishes Hell and Hell they should take a pic and post it of the clear screen. The DMD clear screen is pretty cool and I'd imagine the Hell & Hell one would be cool as well. I don't have the drive to play anymore Hell/Hell or Human at this point since both are pretty boring compared to DMD. I'm done with the game until the SE :p

Ok so i just put gun on the right trigger, this is certainly causing pain in my hands and is a bit of an adjustment. Gah i hate changing button sets after 10 hours, half the time i am hitting the wrong buttons.

Narag

C- Warrior said:
You can be dissapointed with the story because it didn't offer incite to the legacy of Sparda or Dante, but three DMC games have been about that. I found the new perspective between Nero to be fine enough.

I like this point and the change of pace was nice rather than letting the series become a recycling parody of itself. Its Nero's story, you only know as much as him until midway through the game, and I enjoyed wondering why the hell Dante did what he did at the beginning. There's been three games with the inside look at Dante's business so watching from the outside was a brave decision as it stood and still seems to irritate some longtime fans. It was a far better offering then being outright told, "Hey, you know how Sparda did this or that? Well we forgot he also did this."

I don't think it's even all that necessary to explain where Nero comes from. Dante and Vergil tells us as much as we need to know about where Nero came from: one human parent, and one demon parent. I'll get tired of having to go through a huge block of backstory everytime a human/demon hybrid pops up in the DMC universe, and I think Capcom handled it well enough here by not making it a big deal.

Attack You said:
I don't think it's even all that necessary to explain where Nero comes from. Dante and Vergil tells us as much as we need to know about where Nero came from: one human parent, and one demon parent. I'll get tired of having to go through a huge block of backstory everytime a human/demon hybrid pops up in the DMC universe, and I think Capcom handled it well enough here by not making it a big deal.

This was still a game to explain it. Nero's appearance/introduction is the only important thing that happened in this game story wise. DMC4 almost feels like an episode of a tv show thats not related to the main story arc. We have some random villains with a plot to destroy the world, enter a new character, enter Dante, bad guys get their ass handed to them in some brutal way. fin.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
If they actually gave Nero some more weapons and a bit more do to with the Devil Bringer, He would easily be on par with Dante. He has some fantastic combat. Its dam difficult too, but look at the results. I did it once where you threw the lance back at *Insert boss* But it was awesome:lol Imagine getting all of that done, all 100% reving, etc. The format is simple, but mastering it is dam hard but with great results. I don't think at all he is dissapointing. I wish they expanded his arseal a bit...but himself. Hes fantastic. Not Dante, but good on his own.

I rather have wanted them to make all 20missions for Nero...and then treat dante like Vergil in 3 except give him his own cutscenes too

shintoki said:
I rather have wanted them to make all 20missions for Nero...and then treat dante like Vergil in 3 except give him his own cutscenes too

Thats pretty much what they did, this game is designed around Nero. Dante just retreads his path but backwards.

Lostconfused said:
This was still a game to explain it. Nero's appearance/introduction is the only important thing that happened in this game story wise. DMC4 almost feels like an episode of a tv show thats not related to the main story arc. We have some random villains with a plot to destroy the world, enter a new character, enter Dante, bad guys get their ass handed to them in some brutal way. fin.

Yeah, you're right. I phrased my thoughts wrong. But, if Nero's story gets its own prequel, I'm gonna have to choke a bitch.

Top Bottom