• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

DiddyBop

i hope dmc 5 is an epic quest with dante and nero starting off on the same mission together,then split as they fight different main bad guys until they meet up again for the final boss and you have the option to fight him wit dante or nero,each with a different ending.

drohne said:
DanteLOL.jpg

ugly dante rules!

klaus kinski >>>>>>>>>> tom cruise

i'm hoping he comes back for dmc5

Are there any more screens from that trailer?

hteng

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
It took me half an hour last night to get to Level 30 of blood palace, and then I fucking died.

The timer really ruins it for me - this is the first bloody palace I've wanted to actively participate in due to the great combat of the game, though the timer really does ruin things especially with the enemies that take ages to kill like Blitz or those massive Mephistos.

So yeah, does anyone else have REALLY BAD hand pains after playing an intense round of Blood Palace?

Furthermore, who do you recommend to complete Bloody Palace with? My previous best was Level 26 with Dante but now it's Level 30 with Nero. Finally, are there any "tricks" I'm missing out on?

Also, is there a list of the enemies encountered on each level? =P

yep my fingers feel soar and like... it's freezed/glued to the controller. Nero is far more reliable/easy in blood palace, EX streak can disperse enemies, L3 Charge shoot is like a super fast and long range rocket launcher, disperse, interrupt, knock back, its very important when you are getting mobbed. Devil Bringer is used to snatch enemy out of their swarm so you can pick them off one by one. I don't recommend using buster, unless you are in the air because you are very vunerable on the ground during the buster animation. Always try to launch the enemy in the air and combo them, you are safer on the air, on the ground just use alot of streak to disperse them.

KdoubleA

Btw, if you have a maxed out Gunslinger and use Pandora's "Omen" move (the one where Dante opens the box and blinds everything) on the Mephisto's, you basically throw them out of their shadow coats instantly at the same time....So yeah, that was pretty cool to find out. :D

EDIT: Oh, wow...It works against the flying swords as well...They ALL fall when I open the box!!!

Darkpen said:
Leaderboard update!
You know what'd be awesome?

If my fucking PS3 would update my score.

Here's the thing, I had some router/switch issues and as such my PS3 was offline for the entire time that I was playing through the game, I cleared all of DH with my lowest mission score being a B, I then moved on to SoS, got a new router so I was able to get the PS3 hooked up again and I'm sitting at 0 points, it seems as though everything I did on my first playthrough just did not register.

So yeah watch out dudes, I'm catching up to all you fuckers with my 0 point score.

Gah, where did this Vagrant come from!

I'll take back my overall DH lead easy, I am down only 20000 points. SoS I still have a while to go to get all S ranks, then we can compare the scores.

Anyway right now I just had the best run I ever had. I just redid mission 2 on DMD mode for a second time (got an A rank the first time) and everything just clicked. I still got hit, I am not one of these no hit DMC gods but I am good with getting combos and staying alive, I went through the mission getting great combos and everything. Then I got to Berial and I destroyed him in like a minute, I don't even think I got touched against him. It was crazy awesome, when I finished I was like "did I do that?"

When the score goes up I will be like 60 something in that level.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Couple questions of advice on DMC4-tactics:

Is there a quick way to, with Nero, dispatch Mephistos (or at least transform them into their bug counterparts) without using the Blue Rose or the "Snatch" maneuver? And how about the demonic-plant/scarecrow hybrids? Mid-combo, they'll just whip out their bladed vines and not only disrupt your combo, but also propel you backwards with a hit to your vitality gauge.

I'm far past this, but I've been going back to play the levels with Nero (Mission 18 currently).

dralla

dirtmonkey37 said:

Is there a quick way to, with Nero, dispatch Mephistos (or at least transform them into their bug counterparts) without using the Blue Rose or the "Snatch" maneuver? And how about the demonic-plant/scarecrow hybrids? Mid-combo, they'll just whip out their bladed vines and not only disrupt your combo, but also propel you backwards with a hit to your vitality gauge.

I'm far past this, but I've been going back to play the levels with Nero (Mission 18 currently).

these are the worst enemies ever. you just gotta stick and move, streak into them, hit them with a short combo, jump back to avoid their claws, fire a charged BR shot to keep the combo meter going, than streak back in and finish it off.

dirtmonkey37 said:

For the Mephistos I find that mid air buster works better than Snatch, as far as the hybrids go I use Bluerose to keep myself at a range when the blades come out.

Defuser

dirtmonkey37 said:

Is there a quick way to, with Nero, dispatch Mephistos (or at least transform them into their bug counterparts) without using the Blue Rose or the "Snatch" maneuver?
Buster.

Narag

dralla said:
these are the worst enemies ever. you just gotta stick and move, streak into them, hit them with a short combo, jump back to avoid their claws, fire a charged BR shot to keep the combo meter going, than streak back in and finish it off.

L3 charged shot leaves them stunned long enough to combo it to death.

hteng

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:

no other way to strip mephistos out of their cloaks, you pretty much have to buster, snatch or shoot them down.

for scarecrow-chimera hyprids, there's nothing much you can do, time your attacks, hit and run, chargeshoot can knock them out sometimes, you'll get the timing down then you'll develop a sixth sense for them. For Dante, i just use shotgun, stinger shotgun owns them.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Just keep buster-ing those till they fall, then go at it. Mix in a charge shot here and there too.

Also some help for myself...Royal Guard on SM7...the 5 royal guards. Like...lol...How do I do it?:lol I seem to only be able get up to 2. Not to mention where is a check point so when i die against them. I dont have to start from the Ancient Plaza again

slade

shintoki said:
Just keep buster-ing those till they fall, then go at it. Mix in a charge shot here and there too.

Also some help for myself...Royal Guard on SM7...the 5 royal guards. Like...lol...How do I do it?:lol I seem to only be able get up to 2. Not to mention where is a check point so when i die against them. I dont have to start from the Ancient Plaza again

I lucked out on this mission. Both Mephisto's surrounded me and started doing the same laser attack in succession over and over. It was the easiest move to anticipate so I built up the five blocks in no time. The alternate and easier strategy is to take one of them out. After that just look for the surviving Mephisto's laser attack. It comes with an audio cue, a high pitched whine, listen for that and then RG. The Mephisto will occasionally throw two other moves at you but avoid those and wait for the laser again.

hteng

Banned
shintoki said:

kill one of the mephistos and take your time with the other, make him do the flashing thrusting move, you can evade the other moves, it does not reset your count unless you get hit or fail a guard. do it on human just for the sake of saving time.

Victrix

*beard*
Speaking of challenges on human, is there any reason NOT to do them there? Can you complete them all on human, and are most easier?

I'd have to go through the game again since I played on DH, but I find most of them incredibly annoying, so if its easier there, I may just do that

slade

Victrix said:
Speaking of challenges on human, is there any reason NOT to do them there? Can you complete them all on human, and are most easier?

I'd have to go through the game again since I played on DH, but I find most of them incredibly annoying, so if its easier there, I may just do that

I don't think the difficulty modes have any bearing on the Secret Missions. You can complete them on any mode, save and quit the mission and you'll have the blue orbs added to your inventory. All I did today was finish up the remaining secret missions on human mode so I could max out my health bar for Son of Sparda and DMD modes.

KGKK

Banned
I'm trying to do an all S rank SOS mode. I will keep trying the mission till I get it. Basically I'm stuck on Mission 2 already:lol. I get S for time, A for stylish points and A for Orbs. I've tried the mission at least 5 times and can't get past the A ranking. Where the fuck am I missing some Orbs. It says I only get 93% of them?

Narag

KGKK said:
I'm trying to do an all S rank SOS mode. I will keep trying the mission till I get it. Basically I'm stuck on Mission 2 already:lol. I get S for time, A for stylish points and A for Orbs. I've tried the mission at least 5 times and can't get past the A ranking. Where the fuck am I missing some Orbs. It says I only get 93% of them?

Get both sets on the tower. One inside the top and one on the roof.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
My triangle button is beginning to lose its "clickiness." And even worse, it's on my Dual Shock 3!

OH NO! 11!!! :lol

The triangle buttons on Playstation controller have always been a bit faulty. The one on my Sixaxis works fine though, but I'm not willing to sacrifice rumble for a tad more "clickiness." :D

Z3F

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
My triangle button is beginning to lost its "clickiness." And even worse, it's on my Dual Shock 3!

OH NO! 11!!! :lol

The triangle buttons on Playstation controller have always been a bit faulty. The one on my Sixaxis works fine though, but I'm not willing to sacrifice rumble for a tad more "clickiness." :D

Is it loosy like a typical kiosk controller? I've never had a gamepad that's become that bad even after 5 yrs of usage.

Z3F said:
Can someone please explain to me the proper timing for executing the million stab at the end of a stinger?

Just hold down triangle (or Y) after the stinger without moving the stick.

On the subject of the million stab, was anyone else dissapointed with how it is in this game? It manages to look worse than DMC3's and doesn't seem to be as good at crowd control.

Z3F

Banned
Air Zombie Meat said:
Just hold down triangle (or Y) after the stinger without moving the stick.

On the subject of the million stab, was anyone else dissapointed with how it is in this game? It manages to look worse than DMC3's and doesn't seem to be as good at crowd control.

I tried it but couldn't get it to work. I can only do it if I press y right after the stinger begins, which means that the stinger don't travel far enough.

Z3F said:
I tried it but couldn't get it to work. I can only do it if I press y right after the stinger begins, which means that the stinger don't travel far enough.

Ok, see what you mean. You can do it at the end of a stinger by hammering triangle as quick as you can just before it hits :)

Z3F

Banned
Air Zombie Meat said:
Ok, see what you mean. You can do it at the end of a stinger by hammering triangle as quick as you can just before it hits :)

So you can't stab the guy with a stinger, then follow up with the million stab?

Gamers with exquisite taste (Devil May Cry fans): I implore you to write Capcom and ask them to make Trish/Gloria playable if for no other reason than to solve The Mystery of the Doubtful Panties.

Dahbomb

Darkpen said:
So basically: DMC4 = DMC1 + 3, no solid main badguy, Nero > Dante, Vergil plz, and "Halo 1 level design" complex. Did I miss anything?
Add in "Lack of costume unlockables" and we have it in a nutshell.

hteng

Banned
Z3F said:

uhh... after you perform stinger just release your left analog stick? there's a limit to millionstab's range, it won't travel as far as the stinger

Lightning

Banned
Fuck. Is there an easy way to defeat the Blitz enemy with Nero SOS mode and upwards? Preferably close quarters since that's where they kick my ass so much...

Lince

Banned
I thought every offline scores would be automatically uploaded the next time you go online, I didn't know you had to be playing online for the scores to register :\

Darkpen

Banned
maskrider said:
All 6 game clear art gallery images (2560x720 each)
Captured and assembled by me, DMD, HOH, HAH cleared game saves by others.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/uabrkc

Download while bandwidth lasts
yay! thank yee

Also, question: how the hell do you look at the sides of those difficulty clear gallery images? nothing I move or press lets me look! :(

*looks at gallery pictures*

Oh my god.... these are fucking awesome D:

And Kyrie! Naughty naughty :lol :lol

Dahbomb said:
Add in "Lack of costume unlockables" and we have it in a nutshell.
yep :lol

GremlinInTheMachine said:
Gamers with exquisite taste (Devil May Cry fans): I implore you to write Capcom and ask them to make Trish/Gloria playable if for no other reason than to solve The Mystery of the Doubtful Panties.
Yes, please! :lol But no, really, I want the next DMC to be a FFX-2-ish DMC spin-off, where you get to play as Trish and Lady D:

Mefisutoferesu said:
SOOOO much win, please tell me there's a higher quality version of that.
No idea, man. I had to rip those (and then edit the damn program demo's watermark) from a flash video, or more specifically, youtube. Here's the link:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8ookpOu5Jco

Its actually missing something like 10 frames of animation that the original had (and yes, I know this because I counted the original).

karasu said:
http://i25.tinypic.com/fkce2t.jpg

[url]http://i28.tinypic.com/2zfinac.jpg[/url]

[url]http://i26.tinypic.com/1dyi6o.jpg[/url][/QUOTE]
:lol :lol :lol

Is there an HD video of that somewhere??

[QUOTE=Lince]I thought every offline scores would be automatically uploaded the next time you go online, I didn't know you had to be playing online for the scores to register :\[/QUOTE]
Well, otherwise people would just download other people's save files and do it like that D: Wouldn't they?

decon

Just got to Dante. First DMC game ever and so far I think it's great. The only problem that I have is that the right analog stick is used for camera control (which I almost never use anyway). Instead it should be used to dodge with like in Godhand, works a lot better. Maybe I'm just not good enough at the game but I find it quite hard to dodge probably.

maskrider

Darkpen said:
yay! thank yee

Also, question: how the hell do you look at the sides of those difficulty clear gallery images? nothing I move or press lets me look! :(

*looks at gallery pictures*

Oh my god.... these are fucking awesome D:

And Kyrie! Naughty naughty :lol :lol

Just use L2 and R2 to scroll, on PS3.

Darkpen

Banned
decon said:
Just got to Dante. First DMC game ever and so far I think it's great. The only problem that I have is that the right analog stick is used for camera control (which I almost never use anyway). Instead it should be used to dodge with like in Godhand, works a lot better. Maybe I'm just not good enough at the game but I find it quite hard to dodge probably.
The dodging in this game is kinda really gay, which was why I relied heavily on Trickster when I first played DMC3.

Lince

Banned
Darkpen said:
Well, otherwise people would just download other people's save files and do it like that D: Wouldn't they?

right, but they could have added user information into save files so the scores wouldn't work online for other users unless they beat them or something. Well anyway I don't mind playing through the missions again (online this time) :D

maskrider

Lince said:
right, but they could have added user information into save files so the scores wouldn't work online for other users unless they beat them or something. Well anyway I don't mind playing through the missions again (online this time) :D

The game will create a network data file when it first start.

The game save files are associated with the PSN ID/network data file on DMC4 PS3, you can download others save files and play but the online part will not be used.

Not sure if you can turn an offline profile to an online profile after adding a PSN ID. May be not I suppose.

Darkpen

Banned
ugh, oh god, I just watched the HD teaser trailer with ugly dante :lol Funny thing is, I think they might have used DMC3's voice clips.

Darkpen said:
ugh, oh god, I just watched the HD teaser trailer with ugly dante :lol Funny thing is, I think they might have used DMC3's voice clips.

graphically though...the game doesnt really look like that. Heh, I never believed it in the first place though.

Still looks great, but grrr...

Top Bottom