• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Kweh said:
How do you stop
Agnus from recharging his health in the second encounter you have with him? The move where he floats in the middle of the room and drains Nero's health.

The one where he charges up, you want to air combo him quickly so he doesn't electrify the entire room.

The move where he grabs Nero and sucks the life out of him -- simply dodge it. If you can't, then immediatly activate devil trigger (L1/left bumper - or something) to cancel out. So if this needs to be your strategy, don't waste your Devil Trigger magic bar on offense, just let it build up and use it to break free from his grab.

Devil Triggering in this game allows Nero/Dante to break free from any and all 'grab/drain/eat/kiss/hold' attacks in the game.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Greatness Gone said:
Currently, Frosts and Knights are incredibly easy due to the Devil Bringer. I was expecting some hard shit with them. :-(
They do look a lot tougher than they look.

I love using devil bringer on the knights. It looks so fucking cool when Nero grabs their swords and stanbs them with it.

psycho_snake

C- Warrior said:
Devil Triggering in this game allows Nero/Dante to break free from any and all 'grab/drain/eat/kiss/hold' attacks in the game.
Did that work in DMC? If it did, then it would have made the fight with the vampire woman so much easier.

C- Warrior said:
The one where he charges up, you want to air combo him quickly so he doesn't electrify the entire room.

The move where he grabs Nero and sucks the life out of him -- simply dodge it. If you can't, then immediatly activate devil trigger (L1/left bumper - or something) to cancel out. So if this needs to be your strategy, don't waste your Devil Trigger magic bar on offense, just let it build up and use it to break free from his grab.

On the move where he mentions "you're health is mine" or something to that effect, you could spam high roller to death to knock him out of that animation. But like what everyone else said, DT is best used in a pinch.

Gotta love the sexual innuendo Dante was pulling when busting out Lucifer in that cutscene. "Then I RAM IT IN!!!" :lol

And level 4 Trickster = Zero Shift FTW!

KGKK

Banned
Trying to get S rank on mission 7 on SOS. I got an S for all the section, time, style, and orbs, however since I used a gold orb, I ended up with an A. Any tips on how to dodge her attatcks? I could do just fine till she powers up and does the hair whip move while she is in the air. That's what kills me.

KGKK said:
Trying to get S rank on mission 7 on SOS. I got an S for all the section, time, style, and orbs, however since I used a gold orb, I ended up with an A. Any tips on how to dodge her attatcks? I could do just fine till she powers up and does the hair whip move while she is in the air. That's what kills me.

Just slash her a few times and then air hike away when you see her powering up the hair. pretty much all her attacks are easy to dodge as long as you keep jumping.

Darkpen

Banned
....I just finished SoS >_>

orz

I think I'm going to take a break from DMC4. I finally unlocked DMD, so I'll update the PS3 leaderboards like maybe next week, when there's some stuff and whatnot.

Also, Vagrant knocked down to 2 on the leaderboard for (I think) mission 10 on SoS, lol.

Vagrant

Darkpen said:
.Also, Vagrant knocked down to 2 on the leaderboard for (I think) mission 10 on SoS, lol.

Ha, knew that was coming. I'm just surprised that I was even ranked that high in the first place considering the crazy scores Japanese players are putting up elsewhere.

Gowans

Narag said:
Watch the shadows. YOu have to go back the way you came on the 2nd intersection.

??? what do I need to watch about them im there now and stuck again

God dam this mission 13, backtracking with teleporters, really starting to boil my piss.

Im at the segment with the 3 + for way cross roads and its just like an infinite circle

HELP!

Gowans007 said:

God dam this mission 13, backtracking with teleporters, really starting to boil my piss.

Im at the segment with the 3 + for way cross roads and its just like an infinite circle

HELP!

the stone tells you exactly what to do. follow the sun. look at your shadow.

Dibbz

Gowans007 said:

HELP!
Look at your shadow. Go to the opposite direction that your shadow is facing. Lighting changes each area.

Ganondorfo said:
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=dqBYJjR0OTI

did anyone hear this song on dmc4? I didn't....
WTH is that. I never heard it in DMC 4 at all.

Gowans

akachan ningen said:
the stone tells you exactly what to do. follow the sun. look at your shadow.

they dont line up with anything im just gussing, trail and error worked the first time, this time no so much

TeTr1C

Just finished it last night on PS3 on Human Mode. Okay, so I'm not THAT good at the DMC games, but I enjoy them. And this one was without a doubt the best one IMO. I could've bought the 360 version but I felt the PS3 controller felt better playing this game, as holding down right bumper felt weird in the demo.

I thought that playing with Dante was so much better than Nero. I didn't even mind going back through the entire game with him.

And the ending was so unbelievably EPIC. It was amazing. Too bad I didn't buy the Collector's Edition because I want to listen to that song at the end a million times.

Now, to start on Devil Hunter mode. How much harder is it?

TeTr1C said:
Now, to start on Devil Hunter mode. How much harder is it?

Easiest thing in the world. Especially since you already have a ton of abilities, life, DT, items, it should be a snap.

What was he doing with Royal Guard? He can't have been using it to block since he knocked Blitz out of his electricity.

it looked like he was doing royal release. normal releases do no damage with no guage, but with royal release, it does something.

psycho_snake

On the first three missions I did quite well. I got B, A, A all on my first go, but since them my rank has been going downhill. On mission 4 I got a D and in mission 5 & 6 I got C's. That was all on my first go though, I'm planning on doing all the missions again until I can get atleast an A.

psycho_snake said:
On the first three missions I did quite well. I got B, A, A all on my first go, but since them my rank has been going downhill. On mission 4 I got a D and in mission 5 & 6 I got C's. That was all on my first go though, I'm planning on doing all the missions again until I can get atleast an A.

Don't worry about it so much the first time through. I guarantee you'll have much more fun if you don't.

Danielsan

akachan ningen said:
Don't worry about it so much the first time through. I guarantee you'll have much more fun if you don't.

Don't worry about the rankings the first time through. On a second playthrough you'll have unlocked more moves, you'll know what to do and where to go at all times and you'll be getting A/S rankings without any problems.

Danielsan

Dibbz said:
Where are all these tracks comming from? Why were they not in the game? Or are they? I don't recognise any of them.
They are comming from the Devil May Cry 4 official soundtrack cd but I too have no clue why they're not in the bloody game.

psycho_snake

Danielsan said:
Don't worry about the rankings the first time through. On a second playthrough you'll have unlocked more moves, you'll know what to do and where to go at all times and you'll be getting A/S rankings without any problems.
yeah I'm just going to ignorre the rank from now on. It'll be a lot easier to get a high rank on my second playthrough because I'll know what to do.

Draft

I hate the Dante fight. I just hate it. It is very hard. I mean just WAY harder than any other fight in the game, by a wide margin. I'm sure there is a pattern to it but I cannot fathom it and he has stymied me for a couple days now. Can't make it happen.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Draft said:
I hate the Dante fight. I just hate it. It is very hard. I mean just WAY harder than any other fight in the game, by a wide margin. I'm sure there is a pattern to it but I cannot fathom it and he has stymied me for a couple days now. Can't make it happen.
Two things...if you have Holy Water, Cheese your way through it. That should take down like 4 bars of health if you have 2 or something like that.

2nd, He takes a few hits from one pattern...then that trick wont work as good from then on. There are a few i notice. About 2-3 times...you can just keep shooting at him and move forward to point blank range, he keeps shooting and you combo him. The other one I noticed was just using a charge shot, jump at him...let him pull out the sword. Air Hike back and shot him. this works the entire time. Its a bit risky too, but it becomes more difficult as you progress

Draft

I cheesed him on DH. I'm not gonna cheese on SoS. I'll just keep replaying the level every time I lose 3x in a row :lol

Narcosis

Speaking of Dante, first time I fired up Dante Must Die I was not expecting him to suddenly use Pandora on me or launch a Gilgamesh combo at close range! He owned me and I was dumbstruck :lol

Dante Must Die rocks :D

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Draft said:
I cheesed him on DH. I'm not gonna cheese on SoS. I'll just keep replaying the level every time I lose 3x in a row :lol
That aint gonna help sorry to say:lol He still gonna kick your ass...I really don't know how your supposed to get an S rank for that mission. You have to take him so slowly and can't really build style points off him. I can get the S on orbs...but best I can do is A in style and orbs. And Seriously...**** orbs:lol

Varth

You have to "distract him", or else he'll just dodge anything you trow at him.
Shoot him a couple times (no more, or he'll start shooting back)
->
Bring him close with DA rapidly
->
Combo him rapidly (nothing too long or he'll kick your ass)
->
Grab and slam (the worst that can happen is to trigger the swordfight scene, but even in that case, he'll lose health)
->
??
->
Profit

suikodan

I've heard that the controls in the 360 version are customizable. It is true? Because the fact that RB is used for targeting might make me buy the PS3 version instead. (RB for targeting = lose)

Narag

Varth said:
Grab and slam (the worst that can happen is to trigger the swordfight scene, but even in that case, he'll lose health)

Not always. There's 3 outcomes: Dante knocked back, stunned Dante, or stunned Nero.

suikodan said:
I've heard that the controls in the 360 version are customizable. It is true? Because the fact that RB is used for targeting might make me buy the PS3 version instead. (RB for targeting = lose)

They are. I set RT to targetting first thing. RB has long since been a firearm button for me.

patsu

Draft said:

Damn right ! I had to take the cheap route to beat him (Use the shoot-n-buster trick 6-7 times from the central platform). When he only had 2 bars left, I lept down from the platform and tried to take him on like a real man. He promptly took down half my life. So I had to jump back to the platform and repeat the trick until he was defeated.

I feel so bad.

Danielsan

suikodan said:
It's true. You can map all the buttons to whatever you like.

Vagrant

Narag said:
Not always. There's 3 outcomes: Dante knocked back, stunned Dante, or stunned Nero.

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned but I think mashing buster can decrease the chance of being stunned by Dante.

vpance

The fight with Dante rocked. Fighting him for the first time I just tried to fight him like any other monster which worked out pretty well actually. I was able to roulette him a couple times, grab him in mid air, buster him, and split. I think I managed to hit him mostly by luring him to do a helm breaker and then counter attacking. Beat him with a half bar left. Started out with 1 and a half lines of health though.

Playing as Dante now.. my first impression isn't so great. Hope it changes as I get more used to him. Right now with Nero I just feel I can dish out damage faster and more confidently sticking with the basics.

GrayFoxPL

Finished Devil Hunter. Sweet, sweet feeling :D.

But the story was dissapointing. I expected drama, epic events, shivers coming down my spine and hidden tears. Nope. Not that it was really bad, just lacking a kick. Shame, the trailer promised something else.

Actually the guy who edited the cutscenes for the trailer did a whole world of better job then guys that put together the story for actual game. Like when he merged and edited the
ressurection of Yamato cutscene with the dark void Kyrie & Nero
. I thought it was going to be like that in the game. It had sense. It was emotional and cool. Boy, was I dissapointed. Damn you mister trailer man!

Oh and Dante's lines sucked. Sorry, but they did. I think something was lost in translation.

and the
story about Nero's arm? Was there any? Wasn't this supposed to be big thing? The only thing I figured out is that of the ending and Nero's "God monologue" and something I didn't hear clearly during Yamato ressurection.
Is that supposed to be it? Really?
That part sucked.

But it's just nitpicking. DMC4 kicks serious ass.

Greg

Just rented the game - installing now.

I have a few midterms next week... any chance I could finish this game up by Monday? :lol

The story sucks spooge from an ass, there's no doubt about it. But it's the gameplay that's addicting as hell, especially when you've fully upgraded your character.

Top Bottom