• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

So I'm pretty much a noob to the series and am still pretty early in DMC4 having just got to the forest (and loving it).

Anyway, I just bought the Air Hike to see if it would help me get some hidden items I can see and can't get to, but it's proving to be useless since you can't wall jump then air hike in the same jump and didn't help much with anything else, so I'm thinking of selling it back.

Do you get the same amount of souls back when you sell off a power or do you get less than you paid? Does the Air Hike ever actually become useful?

Narag

ThirstyFly said:
So I'm pretty much a noob to the series and am still pretty early in DMC4 having just got to the forest (and loving it).

Anyway, I just bought the Air Hike to see if it would help me get some hidden items I can see and can't get to, but it's proving to be useless since you can't wall jump then air hike in the same jump and didn't help much with anything else, so I'm thinking of selling it back.

Do you get the same amount of souls back when you sell off a power or do you get less than you paid? Does the Air Hike ever actually become useful?

Air Hike is useful for:
- Areas just out of reach
- Coupling with Roulette for a third altitude boost
- General evasion if you're caught in mid-air and need to get out of the way of an attack
- Continuing a combo in case you've launched an enemy higher than intended

Yeah you get the same price back when you sell it back too.

Narag

MiamiWesker said:
How do you do it, I cant do it at all.

Gilgamesh attacks + guard cancelling with royal guard.

The Blitz has a short warmup window when it first appears. AoE damage initially as it appears and roars. After the AoE has passed, you can enter and use the standard gilgamesh punch. As you make contact, you'll have to enter the royal guard stance to deflect the shield damage. If you're fast enough, you can knock its shield off before it recovers from its appearance then goes on the offensive. You can also block the damage if you Killer Bee it with Gilgamesh too.

There's a blitz at the beginning of mission 13 along the correct path on SoS and DMD. Its a good place to practice and where the video took place.

LordK

Damn,
Credo
gets serious in SoS when you get near beating him.
Agnus
on SoS was the first boss that made me use multiple items to not die in SoS. Funny I'm doing Human and SoS at the same time... I usually do the level first in SoS, then Human. It's fun to completely trash the bosses I just mentioned in Human after they went nuts on me in SoS.

This has probably been asked... but is there a way to view rankings by region on the PS3?

Draft said:
I hate the Dante fight. I just hate it. It is very hard. I mean just WAY harder than any other fight in the game, by a wide margin. I'm sure there is a pattern to it but I cannot fathom it and he has stymied me for a couple days now. Can't make it happen.

Don't jump at him. Don't streak at him (unless it's a 2 or 3 level charged revv streak) etc.,

You essentially want him to make the first move, evade then counter accordingly.

If you find yourself stuck in a combo, devil trigger, this will break his combo and stun him -- perform three regular Instant Revved slashes, but before the final 4th attack, bustout a quick snatch to buster, usually dante will pull off it it, but you can then slash another three times, do snatch then buster, slash three times, and keep doing this until one of the busters will cause dante to fly back.

Greg said:
Just rented the game - installing now.

I have a few midterms next week... any chance I could finish this game up by Monday? :lol

You'll complete the story, roughly 15 hours or so I'd imagine.

But you won't get anywhere near to 'finishing' or 'actually experiencing' the game. You'd been better off renting Conan or Heavenly Sword. DMC4 is not a renter son.

Narcosis

copybeaver said:
This has probably been asked... but is there a way to view rankings by region on the PS3?

Well, sorta....you can just look at the whole top half of the leaderboards and see most of Japan :lol

fuuuuck you!!!

Somebody email Capcom and tell them to change Dante Must Die to Blitz Must Die.

Holy fuckin' shit that son of a bitch.

I'm literally, orb farming like a little school girl because I need items to beat the elevator segment on DMD.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm trying to do wrap up Secret Missions but ugh...some of these are really fucking me up. I've never really used Royal Guard so having to do 5 in a row perfectly is going to take awhile.

How high does my style have to be on the Nonviolent Resistance one?

Narag

C- Warrior said:
fuuuuck you!!!

Somebody email Capcom and tell them to change Dante Must Die to Blitz Must Die.

Holy fuckin' shit that son of a bitch.

I'm literally, orb farming like a little school girl because I need items to beat the elevator segment on DMD.

dmcav.jpg

Papercuts said:
I'm trying to do wrap up Secret Missions but ugh...some of these are really fucking me up. I've never really used Royal Guard so having to do 5 in a row perfectly is going to take awhile.

How high does my style have to be on the Nonviolent Resistance one?

C or B. I can't remember which.

C style, that's it.

Just use the aegis shield ability, when the forst breaks free from your grab, quickly snatch another (this will also jump your style bar a little too)

don't forget to taunt while you have one grabbed.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
finally beat the game on devil hunter yesterday -- i'd been distracted by a slim psp i just bought and modded. really good stuff, for the most part. i'm disappointed by the recycling of stages and bosses, there's too much emphasis on traversal, and the last couple missions are anticlimactic -- not halo 3 awful, just anticlimactic. but the regular enemies are tons of fun to fight, and i ended up really liking nero. dante has obviously got his huge arsenal, but honestly i don't like any of it as much as nero's grabbing and throwing and revving. i find myself reverting to nero now that i'm starting bloody palace.

Dibbz

Was playing through SoS today and got to the part where
Yamato gets resurrected. When Nero grabs a hold of it, he says something along the lines of "from that day forth my arm changed. Power, give me more power". Now I was getting the impression that this was Vergil talking through Nero, since Nero totally lost control over himself and Yamato took over. He continues on saying something about him being forced to become a demon to save some girl. Now the girl bit confuses me, but the whole becoming a demon fits right in with Nelo Angelo.

It seems a bit odd if it's actually Nero talking since he was actually talking in past tense "from that day forth" . That would mean he was narating the story, but that doesn't fit at all with the rest of the game. This leads me to belive it is Vergil talking, but god Capcom have not explained anything!!

What does everyone else think about this?

Narag

It wouldn't surprise me and might explain why he used Vergil's familiar phrase. Capcom faked us all by making us think he was talking about Kyrie. :(

drohne

yeah, that part is strange -- it's as if those lines were meant to be narration, but the people making the cutscene accidentally had nero speak them.

DiddyBop

yea,that whole part after he gets the sword was weird,i wa slike,is that relaly Nero talking? this is a perfect setup for dmc5.

Dibbz

If it really was Vergil then who is the woman he is going on about?

Any bets on Capcom making a Vergil spin off to tie up loose ends?

drohne said:
finally beat the game on devil hunter yesterday -- i'd been distracted by a slim psp i just bought and modded. really good stuff, for the most part. i'm disappointed by the recycling of stages and bosses, there's too much emphasis on traversal, and the last couple missions are anticlimactic -- not halo 3 awful, just anticlimactic. but the regular enemies are tons of fun to fight, and i ended up really liking nero. dante has obviously got his huge arsenal, but honestly i don't like any of it as much as nero's grabbing and throwing and revving. i find myself reverting to nero now that i'm starting bloody palace.

Odd. I've never seen you online playing DMC4

Zzoram

I only beat the game on Human and failed the minigame in the credits. How much of the ending am I missing? I'm half way through Devil Hunter.

ezekial45

Banned
Zzoram said:
I only beat the game on Human and failed the minigame in the credits. How much of the ending am I missing? I'm half way through Devil Hunter.

You aren't really missing an incredibly part of the game. But it's still cool to watch.

You can watch it on youtube if you can't wait for the ending again.

DihcarEM

Was playing through SoS today
and got to the part where Yamato gets resurrected. When Nero grabs a hold of it, he says something along the lines of "from that day forth my arm changed. Power, give me more power". Now I was getting the impression that this was Vergil talking through Nero, since Nero totally lost control over himself and Yamato took over. He continues on saying something about him being forced to become a demon to save some girl. Now the girl bit confuses me, but the whole becoming a demon fits right in with Nelo Angelo.

It seems a bit odd if it's actually Nero talking since he was actually talking in past tense "from that day forth" . That would mean he was narating the story, but that doesn't fit at all with the rest of the game. This leads me to belive it is Vergil talking, but god Capcom have not explained anything!!

What does everyone else think about this?

I think you got that a little backwards
The "from that day forth"-line, Nero is referring to when he got that demonic arm, which is when he and Kyrie were attacked when those demons appeared out of no where. Then he says " A voice echoed, give me more power." It implies the remnants of Vergil,Nelo Angelo. But trough it all, Nero is always the one talking/in control. Vergil, conscience, is a no show in this game, and unless proven otherwise, he's pretty much dead. Nero is talking about becoming a demon to save the girl(Kyrie), that's his point, the whole game is pretty much him trying to save Kyrie and if he has to become a demon(the very thing he despises) to do that, then so be it

Edit: Beaten.

So ill just say this, theres a prologue in the manual which covers the scene mentioned.

Edit 2:
He was also screaming "Kyrie" that whole scene, how did you miss that.

The game makes it very explicit (on multiple occasions) that Sparda's blood is in Nero.

So:

A) Nero is Dante's son
B) Nero is Dante's younger brother (sparda fucked around a bit too much)
C) Nero is Vergil's son

Dibbz

Lostconfused said:
Edit: Beaten.

So ill just say this, theres a prologue in the manual which covers the scene mentioned.

Edit 2:
He was also screaming "Kyrie" that whole scene, how did you miss that.
I didn't miss it :/

But Yamato took over and it looked like Nero lost control for that period of time. The fact he was talking in past tense threw me off I guess.

It still makes no sense since everyone around him, even Dante, accepts Nero is part of Sparda's bloodline.

Capcom barely touched on what Nero's arm came from, why he is a descendant of Sparda and why Yamato is able to come back through Nero.
:(

Narag

C- Warrior said:
The game makes it very explicit (on multiple occasions) that Sparda's blood is in Nero.

So:

A) Nero is Dante's son
B) Nero is Dante's younger brother (sparda fucked around a bit too much)
C) Nero is Vergil's son

D: Nero is Vergil, the good part of his soul reincarnated for another chance at life. :'(

Dibbz said:

But Yamato took over and it looked like Nero lost control for that period of time. The fact he was talking in past tense threw me off I guess.

It still makes no sense since everyone around him, even Dante, accepts Nero is part of Sparda's bloodline.

Capcom barely touched on what Nero's arm came from, why he is a descendant of Sparda and why Yamato is able to come back through Nero.
:(

If they wanted Vergil to say that line -- they, literally, could have done so.

Dan Southworth did the mo-cap and voice over for Vergil in DMC3, he also did the mocap and voice over for Credo in DMC4.

It wouldn't be hard for him to quicky do some vergil/dmc4 lines.

Dibbz

Seems like a wasted opportunity now. They could have tied in Vergil so nicely and that game would have had an infinte better plot than what it has right now.

Vergil comming back, Dante realising whats happened. The Order shitting bricks because they had Vergil and Dante after them. Would have been awesome to see a Vergil/Nero fight scene against Lady and Trish. So much AFW potential gone :(

Woo, just got my ass handed to me on SOS mode. I was so not prepared for them to introduce the blitz and fire hounds so early in the game in sos mode. :lol

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
C- Warrior said:
If they wanted Vergil to say that line -- they, literally, could have done so.

Dan Southworth did the mo-cap and voice over for Vergil in DMC3, he also did the mocap and voice over for Credo in DMC4.

It wouldn't be hard for him to quicky do some vergil/dmc4 lines.

Didn't Frank from Dead Rising voice Credo? o_O

Dibbz said:
Seems like a wasted opportunity now. They could have tied in Vergil so nicely and that game would have had an infinte better plot than what it has right now.

Vergil comming back, Dante realising whats happened. The Order shitting bricks because they had Vergil and Dante after them. Would have been awesome to see a Vergil/Nero fight scene against Lady and Trish. So much AFW potential gone :(

Well Virgil is dead and his soul belongs to Mundus. The 3 possibilities for who's son Nero is have already been listed. Now a more interesting question is as to why is Nero's devil trigger that way. His arm seems to be permanently transformed but the rest of his body never changes just a phantom Demon manifests behind him. A demo that seems to be similar to Vergil's DT slightly but also shares some of the features with Nero.

Edit: Also Dante obviously knows a lot more about Nero then what we have been told. He doesn't want to use devil trigger against him for some reason or another.

DihcarEM

Capcom barely touched on what Nero's arm came from, why he is a descendant of Sparda and why Yamato is able to come back through Nero. :(

I think they are just saving all that for DMC5 and future installments. This isn't anything new, when DMC1 came out, we knew close to nothing about Nelo Angelo. Capcom isn't going to spill all their secrets in one game, that's not good busniss.
A good example is the Nero/Berial conversation, Berial talks on how it's been 2000y since he was last here, and there was no such human as Nero, implying Sparda. But after the fight he says: "You were just like he was." He doesn't further explain, but we do know that he was one of Mundus's generals, and they probaly all fougth Nelo Angelo to try and steal his second in command post. Not that they succeed:D

I disagree, your idea sounds more like simple fan-service. I highly doubt that they would be shitting bricks, they weren't afraid that Dante was after them, who is the most powerful one. Then there's the fact of there not being an enemy strong enough to oppose Dante and Vergil.
Sanctus is perfect for Nero's beginning but he's no where near Dante or Vergil's league. And they can't bring Mundus back for every game.

Well Virgil is dead and his soul belongs to Mundus. The 3 possibilities for who's son Nero is have already been listed. Now a more interesting question is as to why is Nero's devil trigger that way. His arm seems to be permanently transformed but the rest of his body never changes just a phantom Demon manifests behind him. A demo that seems to be similar to Vergil's DT slightly but also shares some of the features with Nero.

Good point, altough i do think that Vergil's soul is free now, Dante freed him in DMC1.
I think that Nero might be Vergil's son, it might explain why his dt looks as it does and why he didn't show more notibale superpowers before. Because he's the son of a half-breed, his demonic-powers were maybe more dorment.

Dibbz

Lostconfused said:
Son? How old is Nero? Dante doesn't seem that old compared to him and I doubt it's Vergil's kid, I mean who would he get it on with, Arkham?

Dante maybe, but the age gap doesn't seem like it is that of a father and son.

Nero's DT comes from
Yamato, which is from Vergil. His arm is meant to be from a demon attack, but why only his arm changed or why his arm changed at all is not mentioned.
Capcom have left it wide open, maybe so they can go back if they ever needed to ala DMC3.

DihcarEM said:
I disagree, your idea sounds more like simple fan-service. I highly doubt that they would be shitting bricks, they weren't afraid that Dante was after them, who is the most powerful one. Then there's the fact of there not being an enemy strong enough to oppose Dante and Vergil.
Sanctus is perfect for Nero's beginning but he's no where near Dante or Vergil's league. And they can't bring Mundus back for every game.
Good point,
the order was always planing to use Dante which means they were clearly underestimating him
. I also agree that the order is a great minor villain for Nero's first outing.

DihcarEM said:
Good point, altough i do think that Vergil's soul is free now, Dante freed him in DMC1.
I think that Nero might be Vergil's son, it might explain why his dt looks as it does and why he didn't show more notibale superpowers before. Because he's the son of a half-breed, his demonic-powers were maybe more dorment.
I dont remember much about the end of DMC. I just remember that he got Virgil's half of the locket and used it to unlock the true form of force edge (sparda). So they at least hinted at some relation to Nelo Angelo in the first game, if the didn't give any details.

I was considering the whole 1/4 demon idea. But its not that he has less power then Virgil or Dante, its just that its nature is very different.

pj

Banned
I just finished the third dante mission, and I'm REALLY missing snatch. It's such a great addition that I became really dependent on it. I like the change of pace though, and I look forward to trying to make cool combos with rebellion, gilgamesh, and whatever else I get

Dibbz

Lostconfused said:
Edit: Also Dante obviously knows a lot more about Nero then what we have been told. He doesn't want to use devil trigger against him for some reason or another.
An intresting point your bringing up here.

We see Dante at the end of Mission 1 getting punched into the floor by Nero, when the camera cuts to a shot of Dante's hand. We see his DT come on and off a couple of times whilst he's getting beaten.

This is all just total speculation but I assumed it had something to do with Nero's arm. Dante may have been reacting to the arm for some reason. Vergil and Dante were twins so maybe some sort of connection going on.

Either that or Dante was using his DT to help absorb some of the impact from Nero's punches, since he does actually say that he underestimated him.

Then again in the fight against Dante half way through the game, Dante doesn't even break a sweat against Nero and this is after Nero has gained Yamato.

Dibbz said:
Nero's DT comes from
Yamato, which is from Vergil. His arm is meant to be from a demon attack, but why only his arm changed or why his arm changed at all is not mentioned.
Capcom have left it wide open, maybe so they can go back if they ever needed to ala DMC3.

Nero and Yamato are linked, thats true. But he could use devil bringer before he ever got Yamato, so i dont think the sword is the only thing responsible for it.

drohne

it's funny how obviously frank west credo is. he did vergil too? that's going to make replaying dmc3 strange

Dibbz

Lostconfused said:
Nero and Yamato are linked, thats true. But he could use devil bringer before he ever got Yamato, so i dont think the sword is the only thing responsible for it.
Yamato is definately linked with Nero's Devil Bringer, since they both react to each other. His DB lit up when you enter that chamber what Yamaoto is kept.

Also if you remember, Nero's DB actually lit up just befor Dante jumped through the roof at the start of the game. This could again link with Dante DT setting off. There is a bigger connection with Nero's DB and Sparda than what has been explained.

It's the explaination to how Nero's DB came which we need. I'd guess that Vergil had definately played a role when Nero was first injured.

The only wish I had -- was at the final boss, Nero's Arm 'dissociates' off and you see vergil's spirited blue-DT form materialize and you guys fight together to finish off the boss.

Kind of dmc3-ish I know, but still :D

C- Warrior said:
The only wish I had -- was at the final boss, Nero's Arm 'dissociates' off and you see vergil's spirited blue-DT form materialize and you guys fight together to finish off the boss.

Kind of dmc3-ish I know, but still :D

They worked Jackpot into it so i am happy.

Top Bottom