• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Darkpen

Banned
Dibbz said:
An intresting point your bringing up here.

We see Dante at the end of Mission 1 getting punched into the floor by Nero, when the camera cuts to a shot of Dante's hand. We see his DT come on and off a couple of times whilst he's getting beaten.

This is all just total speculation but I assumed it had something to do with Nero's arm. Dante may have been reacting to the arm for some reason. Vergil and Dante were twins so maybe some sort of connection going on.

Either that or Dante was using his DT to help absorb some of the impact from Nero's punches, since he does actually say that he underestimated him.

Then again in the fight against Dante half way through the game, Dante doesn't even break a sweat against Nero and this is after Nero has gained Yamato.
Considering that your interpretation of the Yamato scene was way off the mark, I think you should just give up speculating

DihcarEM

I dont remember much about the end of DMC. I just remember that he got Virgil's half of the locket and used it to unlock the true form of force edge (sparda).

I was considering the whole 1/4 demon idea. But its not that he has less power then Virgil or Dante, its just that its nature is very different.

Yeah, we really didn't get much information about Vergil back then.

You are right, it's nature is quite different, normally he would be inferior to Dante or Vergil's dt because they have a full transformation. But as we saw in the awakening scene, his body completely heals mortal wounds. My point being that without the devilbringer, he was considerd human, so he didn't exhibit having superpowers back then, he was just a great natural,loner devil hunter. Unlike Dante and Vergil who even and a young age had powers. That's why i think he might be 1/4 demon. I really don't think that Sparda was a cheater, i mean you are talking about a demon that values above all else justice and honor. He also clearly loved Eva, even Nero knew that in the end.
Regardless, we aren't going to get some solid answers until the next game(s), however long that may be.

Also Dante obviously knows a lot more about Nero then what we have been told. He doesn't want to use devil trigger against him for some reason or another

Yep,
i think that was him holding himself back, Nero even picked up on it and commented after their second fight, "You look like you've just been playing me all along." or something along those lines. Which btw was an awesome move by Dante, he immobilizes the DB with his foot and holds the blade at Nero's throat, completely rendering him useless. On another note, i do think that Dante knows more then what was said, when Sanctus revealed that he was lucky to find another blood relation of Sparda in Nero, Dante and Trish don't say anything and seem to communicate to each other with their eyes. Dante before the second fight with Nero, says that Yamato has to stay in the familly. In the end he entrusts it to Nero, implying that he is familly or considerd that atleast.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
SnakeXs said:
Didn't Frank from Dead Rising voice Credo? o_O

I've covered wars you know.

I find it quite distracting when I notice that the voice is the same from another game. This game and Mass Effect (Kaiden). Every time I hear them speak I think of their first game.

Narag

Truelize said:

I find it quite distracting when I notice that the voice is the same from another game. This game and Mass Effect (Kaiden). Every time I hear them speak I think of their first game.

I wonder if a company will ever keep the VA/character models together to create a stage/actor scenario for games like Tezuka did with his work.

Darkpen

Banned
DihcarEM said:
Yeah, we really didn't get much information about Vergil back then.

You are right, it's nature is quite different, normally he would be inferior to Dante or Vergil's dt because they have a full transformation. But as we saw in the awakening scene, his body completely heals mortal wounds. My point being that without the devilbringer, he was considerd human, so he didn't exhibit having superpowers back then, he was just a great natural,loner devil hunter. Unlike Dante and Vergil who even and a young age had powers. That's why i think he might be 1/4 demon. I really don't think that Sparda was a cheater, i mean you are talking about a demon that values above all else justice and honor. He also clearly loved Eva, even Nero knew that in the end.
Regardless, we aren't going to get some solid answers until the next game(s), however long that may be.
I think its more likely they reveal extra stuff through manga, a novelization, or some other random media.

Darkpen

Banned
Truelize said:

frank =/= credo

DihcarEM

I think its more likely they reveal extra stuff through manga, a novelization, or some other random media.

Perhaps, but so far all the major plot-secrets have been revealed in the games.
I think the manga's(which are quite good),anime are considerd canon.
The comic and novels aren't.

While playing this game, I thought about how silly I was to think that the 360 controller would be shit compared to the Six-Axis/Dualshock. I really can't even tell the difference. :lol

Sandman42

Greatness Gone said:
While playing this game, I thought about how silly I was to think that the 360 controller would be shit compared to the Six-Axis/Dualshock. I really can't even tell the difference. :lol
I have no problems playing with the 360 controller. It works great!

DihcarEM

While playing this game, I thought about how silly I was to think that the 360 controller would be shit compared to the Six-Axis/Dualshock. I really can't even tell the difference.

Agreed, i have both versions and they both feel fine to me.

KdoubleA

Darkpen said:

Thought you guys might like to see this...DMC4 guest focus convention; interviews with the actors of DMC4 (Nero, Dante, Vergil/ Credo):

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L8J0QkNq8E

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Esreooo5cw

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD9WyHus5xo

Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkuKKZAf5fw

Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0JyOiMcfag

P.S: I'm not sure about this but looking at Reuben Langdon, did Cacpom model DMC4 Dante after him? He has the same facial features.

Draft

C- Warrior said:
Don't jump at him. Don't streak at him (unless it's a 2 or 3 level charged revv streak) etc.,

You essentially want him to make the first move, evade then counter accordingly.

If you find yourself stuck in a combo, devil trigger, this will break his combo and stun him -- perform three regular Instant Revved slashes, but before the final 4th attack, bustout a quick snatch to buster, usually dante will pull off it it, but you can then slash another three times, do snatch then buster, slash three times, and keep doing this until one of the busters will cause dante to fly back.
Yes. That is why Dante was throwing me off. Every other boss is kind of designed around being rushed. where Dante punishes you hard for doing the same.

This post convinced me to approach and use my NG skills for a little sans lock-on dodging, and that did the trick.

Well i gave up on bloody palace after getting reaching the 20th floor twice and being stopped cold. So i just decided to start up my SoS play through.

Charged shot level 3 is insanely powerful and should be picked up as soon as possible.

dralla

Has anyone gotten S rank in Style on mission 18? I get about 4500 every time, I RG the fire balls, shoot the blue orbs, taunt...pretty much everything I can, I can't get the S which am assuming is 5K

People keep talking about Nero's charged shot 3 being so strong. I've had it for awhile now and it doesn't seem to do much damage to anything, and takes forever to stop blitz.. wtf am I doing wrong? I just hold the gun button until his arm glows and release. bang.

DarkAngelYuna said:
People keep talking about Nero's charged shot 3 being so strong. I've had it for awhile now and it doesn't seem to do much damage to anything, and takes forever to stop blitz.. wtf am I doing wrong? I just hold the gun button until his arm glows and release. bang.

Thats charge shot level 1, it has to change colors two more times, blue->purple->red. Charge shot level 3 is when his whole arm has a red glow, kind of like Dante's.

Narcosis

DarkAngelYuna said:

I notice a bit after the shot hits there's an explosion on the enemy, that's it. it does help me take down Blitz faster than before I used it, but it doesn't seem like the awesomeness people in this thread speak of.
I also can't figure out this L3 charge shot people talk of. I see no options available for button mapping to L3 or R3 for anything....

VaLiancY

DarkAngelYuna said:

Are you waiting til it glows pink? After the third pulse, it should fire a round similar to the 2nd Charge Shot but it has a delayed explosions which stuns anyone in close proximity of the victim. It's great for Mephistos and Blitzs, useful on everything else.

KdoubleA

DarkAngelYuna said:

Charge Shot 3 is what's really powerful...You have to hold the button until Nero's arm glows red (it goes blue then purple then red)...When you shoot an enemy it burns them and then a while later it burns them again, usually stopping whatever animation they're doing...It even works against the bosses.....I actually S'ed Dante on DMD thanks to it.

Oh, btw, I just watched that convention interview for the first time; very interesting session...They all worked on Power Rangers before and Vergil's VA found it awkward to say "Jackpot" in DMC3 :lol ...

Holy shit DMC4 is amazing, it's the first DMC game I played since completing the original. I just switched over to Dante and it's practically a whole new game now. I just gotta stop trying to pull an enemy towards me anymore. The first mission as Dante I kept thinking I had the Devil Arm.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Narcosis said:
I notice a bit after the shot hits there's an explosion on the enemy, that's it. it does help me take down Blitz faster than before I used it, but it doesn't seem like the awesomeness people in this thread speak of.
I also can't figure out this L3 charge shot people talk of. I see no options available for button mapping to L3 or R3 for anything....

L3 charge is for Level 3 charge, which is the red glow one. It stuns most enemies and even bosses and then the explosion afterwards is nice too.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
KdoubleA said:
P.S: I'm not sure about this but looking at Reuben Langdon, did Cacpom model DMC4 Dante after him? He has the same facial features.
I thought the same thing...I saw a picture...and was like...hes really hot....like...dante...:lol Live Action baby:lol

Narag

dralla said:
Has anyone gotten S rank in Style on mission 18? I get about 4500 every time, I RG the fire balls, shoot the blue orbs, taunt...pretty much everything I can, I can't get the S which am assuming is 5K
Someone posted earlier S rank Style for mission 18 was 6k.

burgerdog

Truelize said:

What he fuck is this "he's covered wars" that all you guys seem to think is cool? :eek:

Darkpen

Banned
KdoubleA said:
Actually, if there's anything I've noticed with Dante's face in 4, it's that he has this small hint of asian-ness in his facial structure, mainly around the eyes. It actually bugs me a lot, especially in DMC3 (yes, there are asians who look almost spot on as young Dante). I mean, it could have more to do with a placebo effect on my part, but I can't help but notice how asian a lot of these 3D characters are, now more than ever. Several examples being anything from S-E, and Snake in MGS2 and 3, but despite Snake's half-Japanese excuse, just look at those other characters in MGS4. Somehow, only Drebin and Vamp have no asian influence. I dunno, maybe I'm just seeing things.

KdoubleA

Darkpen said:
Actually, if there's anything I've noticed with Dante's face in 4, it's that he has this small hint of asian-ness in his facial structure, mainly around the eyes. It actually bugs me a lot, especially in DMC3 (yes, there are asians who look almost spot on as young Dante). I mean, it could have more to do with a placebo effect on my part, but I can't help but notice how asian a lot of these 3D characters are, now more than ever. Several examples being anything from S-E, and Snake in MGS2 and 3, but despite Snake's half-Japanese excuse, just look at those other characters in MGS4. Somehow, only Drebin and Vamp have no asian influence. I dunno, maybe I'm just seeing things.

I know exactly what you mean. However, I dont see it in this Dante model, though. Nero fits your description a bit more. But yeah, I think the best (and easily recognizable) example is Cloud from Advent Children.

LordK

dralla said:

I got S on it in DH. I don't recall exactly what score I got to get it. What I did to build it up was:

Get the statue thing stunned (where he's in the lounging position and you can jump around to each jewel thing on his body). Then instead of blowing up the jewels, just fight the knights that appear. This helps a lot since he's not trying to smash you as you fight them. It helped my style a lot.

Darkpen

Banned
KdoubleA said:
I know exactly what you mean. However, I dont see it in this Dante model, though. Nero fits your description a bit more. But yeah, I think the best (and easily recognizable) example is Cloud from Advent Children.
the only physical aspect that truly screams asian in faces is the side profile, in any face. The entire cast of AC is asian, with nose and eye jobs. As for Nero, he's really more awkward middleground with 3D anime eyes, while Dante has a very subtle asian-ness about him, but really just his eyes and cheekbones, which bugs me. Atleast with Nero, the stylization is more apparent.

Question about the transfer of Proud Souls between Nero and Dante

I played Bloody Palace a bunch these past few days (still can't get passed the Blitz :\)... anyway... I finally started playing through the Dante missions over to get better ratings and I noticed that they give me a bunch of proud souls. Around 27k to be exact.

How do they calculate this? I just don't know why I'd have so much.

Narag said:
Someone posted earlier S rank Style for mission 18 was 6k.

depends on the difficulty, I know its 5k for human and DH, its probably 6k or higher for SoS and DMD. I have the requirements at home.

easiest thing I did was let the savior kill the knights. attack the jewels and kill knights close by (when savior is stunned)
then DT+Devine Dragon the savior at the end

Darkpen said:
cruisin.png
TOMCRUISE.jpg

DMC4, MGS 2/3, i dont know what you people are talking about because it seems i am blind to these asian traits that you are discussing. But there is some familiarity in Dante's face, or maybe my mind is just polluted with famous actors.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I can only see the Asian traits in Dante's eyes. For the most part I would imagine he's modeled after Langdon.

Bebpo

Banned
Narag said:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vNycRQmHy6E

Don't know if this was posted yet. Dante vs Berial on DMD No Damage.

I didn't think Killer Bees were possible in this game like they were in DMC3.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2bfuRv7y6Jk&feature=related

Same guy with Dagon on DMD. He shows just how vulnerable the tongue is on this fight.

WTF at the JC in that with gilgamesh kick. That was insane.

Also the damage done with the dragon punch to tongue on DMD seems way too high.

Narag

Bebpo said:
WTF at the JC in that with gilgamesh kick. That was insane.

Also the damage done with the dragon punch to tongue on DMD seems way too high.

It might be. I'm like two missions from that so I'll verify tomorrow.

Bebpo

Banned
Narag said:
It might be. I'm like two missions from that so I'll verify tomorrow.

Well I doubt he's glitching the game or anything so I'm sure it's legit. Just seems crazy how much damage it does in 1 attack considering the DMD lifebars.

Narag

Bebpo said:
Well I doubt he's glitching the game or anything so I'm sure it's legit. Just seems crazy how much damage it does in 1 attack considering the DMD lifebars.

I just figured it was one of the tricks like all the bosses have to them. I'd seen lots of crazy stuff with other bosses but not a whole lot with Bael/Dagon. The in-game description goes out of its way to point out the tongue is a weakpoint too. I might go in with a full RG gauge just to see how devastating release is on that point too. :lol

Kyosuke

Just finished the game. The final boss battle was way too easy but that's probably because I played on Human (kinda regret that now, should've started on Devil Hunter). Even then, beating up
an old man
didn't feel nearly as satisfying as the fights with Mundus and Vergil.

The most dissapointing thing about the game was Dante's part. Instead of thinking up something new, they just
rehashed bosses and stages from Nero's part of the game.
Lame. At least Dante's cutscenes were as awesome as ever. The one where you get
Luficer
was way over the top.. in a good way.

On the other hand, using Nero's Devil Bringer was a lot of fun. I didn't even realize how much you could with it until I saw videos of people countering
Credo's
attacks with it and other cool stuff. I hope they bring that mechanic back for DMC5 in some way. Slinging those ice creatures around was some of the best fun I've ever had in an action game.

Narag

Bebpo said:
Wait, what's the Blitz trick?

Defuser posted the vid and I tossed up my attempt at an explanation for when people were asking for clarification.

Defuser said:
Wow,this guy took out a blitz in 27 seconds. Look at how he use Royal Guard against it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmwEmZdlI80

Narag said:
Gilgamesh attacks + guard cancelling with royal guard.

The Blitz has a short warmup window when it first appears. AoE damage initially as it appears and roars. After the AoE has passed, you can enter and use the standard gilgamesh punch. As you make contact, you'll have to enter the royal guard stance to deflect the shield damage. If you're fast enough, you can knock its shield off before it recovers from its appearance then goes on the offensive. You can also block the damage if you Killer Bee it with Gilgamesh too.

There's a blitz at the beginning of mission 13 along the correct path on SoS and DMD. Its a good place to practice and where the video took place.

Narag

Bebpo said:
Ah.

But Nero still has no trick right? Nero is the one where it really takes forever.

For anything but DMD, there's the 3x L3 charged shot -> DT+ busterx3 -> couple charged shots to finish it. I'm dying for a good Nero strategy on DMD though. I want to kill the things instead of dodging for two minutes when it goes red.

I wonder if DT EX stuff worked in between busters would work.

About secret mission04:

I've seen some people, and even the Gamespot crew complain about not being able to get the orbs easily even with the hidden item locator of the devil bringer. Press "O" or whatever you have it set to and the orbs will pop out from the ground.

Okay? Simple. This goes for all other hidden orbs as well.

Top Bottom