• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

dralla

finished my S run. now I can finally start Bloody Palace and start enjoying the game again!

154hwsy.jpg

ps. im chosing not to overwrite my first playthrough stats.

Toonami 99 said:
how the hell did you get a S in mission 6. I hate that boss fight with a passion. It took quite a while to beat it.
Stay in the middle and just snatch, jump in the air and snatch some more until all enemies are on the ground. Then grab them and start chucking. Just keep rolling when they start to glow, they're not that fast.

only problem for me was when they came to attack and the ground charged up as well. I required a M star for it.

I'm getting my ass kicked on DMD with Dante. Holy shit.

However, I'm now understanding the importance that is Lucifer. Weapon kicks ass. I figure when I get better using it -- things should ease up.

Kweh

Any tips for beating
Dante
with Nero? I can't get near him, most i've managed to get off is 1 bubble of health.

Future

Holy Shit at
Agnus boss when hes behind the glass on DMD mode. Floor is a hazard every few seconds and swords everywhere.
I used like 20 green stars, wtf. Still dont get the strategy on that one

Lovin DMD mode (up to that part anyway, heh). Enemies dodge the snatch move now occasionally and have air recoverys, forcing you to stay on your toes. Although with Nero's arm, it still seems loads easier so far than DMD mode in DMC3. Until Agnus I had no fear of dying or using continues

Any tips for beating
Dante
with Nero? I can't get near him, most i've managed to get off is 1 bubble of health.

He never was that hard for me. Just spam the snatch. Gotta play him defensively Ninja Gaiden style. Bait him by getting close than dodge and counter (usually with snatch)

LordK

Kweh said:
Any tips for beating
Dante

You can really cheese the fight by:

Just spam the gun and he'll spam the gun too. Walk towards him... when you get in range for a slash to hit him, just spam triangle so he gets hit 3 times (hell, even 1 or 2), then buster him. If the buster ends in a draw, then spam triangle again into a buster. If he wins the buster battle thingy, then start at spamming the gun again. Obviously, if you knock him down after the buster, spam with the gun again too. Repeat and try to get a DT buster in there and he'll go down VERY fast.

copybeaver said:
You can really cheese the fight by:

Just spam the gun and he'll spam the gun too. Walk towards him... when you get in range for a slash to hit him, just spam triangle so he gets hit 3 times (hell, even 1 or 2), then buster him. If the buster ends in a draw, then spam triangle again into a buster. If he wins the buster battle thingy, then start at spamming the gun again. Obviously, if you knock him down after the buster, spam with the gun again too. Repeat and try to get a DT buster in there and he'll go down VERY fast.

It's interesting how that -so doesn't work on DMD- good god it took me like 9 tries to beat him.

LordK

C- Warrior said:
It's interesting how that -so doesn't work on DMD- good god it took me like 9 tries to beat him.

I'm about to finish SoS... looks like I'll have to try to find a new cheese method :(.

Varth

Can someone point me to some (post 5th mission) S rank walktrough video?
I guess the majority of them is in katakana on youtube, cause I always get simple gameplay when searching.

Kweh

Well I've managed to get 3½ bars off him...I think I might have skilled Nero up wrong or something. Is Auto-Skill actually viable?

eso76

wow, i'm a lousy dmc player. Abysmal rankings all around.
Anyway, a couple missions into Dante's part and i have to say i liked the first half a lot better so far. Actually, loved the first half.

I was just thinking, screw those who say a 3d castlevania couldn't work; a SOTN with this engine, graphics, gameplay (just not as combo oriented, rather inventory oriented) and production values would be HUGE. Huge, i tell you.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Any tips for using the Royal Guard style for the SM that needs it? I absolutely suck at it :lol Also is there a check point or something around there? So when I die I can respawn by it then having to restart at the ancient plaza again?

eso76

Kweh said:
Any tips for beating
Dante

had a hard time too at first, then something just clicked.
Avoid and attack with simple ground sword combos, also grabbing him works.
At one point he started blocking my slashes with some red bubble shield, and it became extremely easy, he would just let me walk in reach and combo him without doing anything, i was able to slash his last 4 bubbles of energy off in seconds.

Darkpen

Banned
eso76 said:
wow, i'm a lousy dmc player. Abysmal rankings all around.
Anyway, a couple missions into Dante's part and i have to say i liked the first half a lot better so far. Actually, loved the first half.

I was just thinking, screw those who say a 3d castlevania couldn't work; a SOTN with this engine, graphics, gameplay (just not as combo oriented, rather inventory oriented) and production values would be HUGE. Huge, i tell you.
yeah..... its called Folklore, but without the platforming.

Darkpen

Banned
eso76 said:
had a hard time too at first, then something just clicked.
Avoid and attack with simple ground sword combos, also grabbing him works.
At one point he started blocking my slashes with some red bubble shield, and it became extremely easy, he would just let me walk in reach and combo him without doing anything, i was able to slash his last 4 bubbles of energy off in seconds.
...that's royal guard. What difficulty are you playing on?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
When he guards....buster it. Even better. Lure him into a corner and do it. I got 5-6 busters in a row before he switched:lol

maskrider

Hadn't look at the playtime for a while, just discover that it is already 65+ hours, ha ha ! I didn't even notice that I had put so much time in it.

KGKK

Banned
maskrider said:
Hadn't look at the playtime for a while, just discover that it is already 65+ hours, ha ha ! I didn't even notice that I had put so much time in it.

That's DMC for you, the game that keeps on giving. I have already put in close to 40 hours on it and only now I realized that you actually have to charge the charge shot 3 for it to be effective:lol. Man it does own though, now I finally realize why everyone praised it so much. With it, I always own Blitz(at least in SOS mode) and finish him with a triple S:D. Now I just have to learn how to insta-rev with every swing.

Defuser

KGKK said:
That's DMC for you, the game that keeps on giving. I have already put in close to 40 hours on it and only now I realized that you actually have to charge the charge shot 3 for it to be effective:lol. Man it does own though, now I finally realize why everyone praised it so much. With it, I always own Blitz(at least in SOS mode) and finish him with a triple S:D. Now I just have to learn how to insta-rev with every swing.
Like I said, Blue Rose is underrated but once you learn to charge while attacking. It's like a second habit and you will love it because it's powerful and awesome in many ways.

KGKK

Banned
Defuser said:
Like I said, Blue Rose is underrated but once you learn to charge while attacking. It's like a second habit and you will love it because it's powerful and awesome in many ways.

You damn right!:D Switched it L1 with my devil trigger now being square. It took some getting used to but damn it owns now:D

eso76

Poll: for those who've seen both version, do you prefer 60fps or 30fps+motion blur cutscenes ?

I find myself liking the 30fps blurred look a lot more; looks much more organic and consistent, gives everything a CG movie look. The blur hides real time CG shortcomings, while 60fps make everything look too clean and artificial.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
60fps-cutscenes

burgerdog

C- Warrior said:

I tried to cheese him my first try on DMD, didn't work so well. Somehow managed to kill him on my second try.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I've just been watching gameplay video's of DMC4 on youtube. Some people are really good at this game.

Captain N

I thought I'd be kicking ass as Dante, but having played through the whole game as Nero I don't want to play as Dante. I'm sure it will change a few missions from now..at least I hope.

Vagrant

Future said:
Holy Shit at
Agnus boss when hes behind the glass on DMD mode. Floor is a hazard every few seconds and swords everywhere.
I used like 20 green stars, wtf. Still dont get the strategy on that one

That is the only boss I've had a real problem with so far on DMD mode. It got slightly easier once I realized that the center platform is safe from the lightning floor.

LordK

I just :lol at how everyone says "Kyrie." Sure there are times where they say her name normally, but they seem very intent on getting rid of the 'r' in her name for awesome dramatic effect.

vpance

Man, the wind up punch with Gilgamesh is insanely powerful. Berial was a joke after 2 shots of it. I try to use it whenever I can on the larger enemies.

Sure enough, you guys were right about not changing the controls on the 360 version. Making the Right Trigger Lock-On for Nero was fine, but the moment I got to Dante I kept pressing the "change devil arm" button when I meant to lock-on and vice versa. Had to change it back to the Dual Shock layout.

One quick question (which I'm sure has already been answered somewhere in that massive topic): Can you cycle through Dante's weapons in reverse order or do you need to go Rebellion->Gilgamesh->Lucifer->Rebellion?

Zzoram

Vagrant said:
That is the only boss I've had a real problem with so far on DMD mode. It got slightly easier once I realized that the center platform is safe from the lightning floor.

It is?!?! That would've been good to know a few days ago.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
KGKK said:
You damn right!:D Switched it L1 with my devil trigger now being square. It took some getting used to but damn it owns now:D
Having Blue Rose mapped to L1 completely changes the gameplay. I see why everyone was raving about Nero now.

Yasser

are there any good videos of dante using the darkslayer style? i'm starting to get the hang of switching from trickster/gunslinger to swordmaster/darkslayer (can't use royal guard for shit, never could ;p)

Valcrist

I love this game.

My only complaint is the fucking ridiculous platforming. First was the offscreen floating orbs...frustrated me to no end.

I just got to the spinning blade jumping part yesterday...I have never gotten so angry before. For some godforsaken reason Nero just didn't want to land on the platform to the door. I'm not sure how they would fix some of it, maybe the camera, not sure.

eso76

Valcrist said:
I love this game.

My only complaint is the fucking ridiculous platforming. First was the offscreen floating orbs...frustrated me to no end.

I just got to the spinning blade jumping part yesterday...I have never gotten so angry before. For some godforsaken reason Nero just didn't want to land on the platform to the door. I'm not sure how they would fix some of it, maybe the camera, not sure.

yeah that was ridiculous for me too, either nero jumped in a different direction or he didn't jump far enough. When this happened i tried to reach the platform with a shuffle, but being extremely nervous i always ended up performing a dive to the ground.

But you know, i suppose it gets pretty easy with the double jump upgrade, for some reason i hadn't bought it yet and i didn't think of going back to get it. That was frustrating.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Chamber said:
The platforming was wasn't nearly as bad as the damn lasers.
That was a joke.

Top Bottom