• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
a Master Ninja said:
I had a bitch of a time with that laser secret mission.

Why are you here? Shouldn't you be replaying NG for the 234,432th time or emailing Itagaki with your marriage proposal?

;p

Because from your cute little essay you've made it clear that when other action games have repeat boss fights, it's cool -- yet when DMC4 does it (with a -totally- uniquely playing character) it's not okay.
:lol

Ponn

Banned
I beat it on Human Mode with the intention of playing through again in Devil Hunter mode but with all the carryover from Human Mode. Now i'm thinking about sending it back to Gamefly. It's good, don't get me wrong, but i've just never been big on replaying immediately and I got Lost Odyssey to play now. I think i'll wait till a price drop and buy it then. Pretty lackluster ending though.

C- Warrior said:
Because from your cute little essay you've made it clear that when other action games have repeat boss fights, it's cool -- yet when DMC4 does it (with a -totally- uniquely playing character) it's not okay.
:lol
"I don't know where you received your higher education, but please work on it before you decide to quote me again. It's becoming rather jarring having to deal with someone who deals on slippery slopes in every argument he makes."

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Narag said:
I did too sadly. Air Hike made it all better though.
Pandora >_>

Ponn01 said:
I beat it on Human Mode with the intention of playing through again in Devil Hunter mode but with all the carryover from Human Mode. Now i'm thinking about sending it back to Gamefly. It's good, don't get me wrong, but i've just never been big on replaying immediately and I got Lost Odyssey to play now. I think i'll wait till a price drop and buy it then. Pretty lackluster ending though.

The secret ending makes up for the lovy dovy ending ;)

Anyway, all I can say is that DMC is probably the only action game that does 'harder game modes' right.

Everything changes, boss patterns, enemy locations, what you need to do to survive, tactics, upgrading your characters more, mastering what you have and what you will get.

I hardly every replay games because it's just "enemies hit harder" -- but in DMC4, it's almost an entirely new scenario.

Also, how were you not bored out of your mind playing this game on easy mode?

a Master Ninja said:
"I don't know where you received your higher education, but please work on it before you decide to quote me again. It's becoming rather jarring having to deal with someone who deals on slippery slopes in every argument he makes."

I was being caustic dude. Chill. :lol

Maggot9

Banned
KdoubleA said:
Thought you guys might like to see this...DMC4 guest focus convention; interviews with the actors of DMC4 (Nero, Dante, Vergil/ Credo):

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L8J0QkNq8E

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Esreooo5cw

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD9WyHus5xo

Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkuKKZAf5fw

Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0JyOiMcfag

P.S: I'm not sure about this but looking at Reuben Langdon, did Cacpom model DMC4 Dante after him? He has the same facial features.

thats cool. i could really only hear Virgil's voice when they all spoke

LordK

Finally got S for every mission in human, dh, and sos. I won't do DMD until next weekend. I did a bit of heaven and hell (I think that was it). I got hit by the spikes in mission 3 on the ceiling :lol. Maybe I should do some bloody palace.

Playing DMD mode, much harder but managable. For the first time I am really dying, especially at boss fights. It actually feels like DMC3 for once where I need to retry some bosses over and over to understand what i should be doing.

I just finished Nero's half, but that last fight, the first battle with Sanctus pisses me off. I was fighting him for what seemed like ever cause the bastard keeps going into the damn statue. Its almost luck that I managed to get him down during that part. The first time you fight him he is harder I think, his patterns are easy he is just a pain to take down. So my question is is there some super fast easy method to beat this guy that I am missing. How do the top ranked players do it.

Sandman42

MiamiWesker said:
Playing DMD mode, much harder but managable. For the first time I am really dying, especially at boss fights. It actually feels like DMC3 for once where I need to retry some bosses over and over to understand what i should be doing.

I just finished Nero's half, but that last fight, the first battle with Sanctus pisses me off. I was fighting him for what seemed like ever cause the bastard keeps going into the damn statue. Its almost luck that I managed to get him down during that part. The first time you fight him he is harder I think, his patterns are easy he is just a pain to take down. So my question is is there some super fast easy method to beat this guy that I am missing. How do the top ranked players do it.
It's possible to use a buster on the statue when his fist comes down on you. If you time it right, you can knock his fist back and Sanctus will fly out stunned.

Sandman42 said:
It's possible to use a buster on the statue when his fist comes down on you. If you time it right, you can knock his fist back and Sanctus will fly out stunned.

:lol Holy crap thats awesome.

Thats like learning how to do the Credo staff reversal I guess, never knew about it until I read it here (a must on DMD mode IMO, that saved my ass.)

Any other crazy reversals I don't know about. I think I read that you can stop final Sanctus when he is red. I know about the knights and their energy ball.

Sandman42 said:

haha yeah. I was so happy when I discovered that, I had been in the same situation as MiamiWesker with Sanctus constantly going into teh statue before I could attack him.

When final Sanctus charges at you with Sparda you can buster it for massive damage. You can also do a cool buster on Echidna's purple seed thingy.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Finally beat all the Secret Missions, my god I never use Royal Guard so I just killed one of them and mashed B in a corner, kept getting to 4 and would get hit. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't send you halfway back through the level when you die. :lol

I'm still missing a single blue orb fragment, going to have to research the whole game probably. :(

Papercuts said:
Finally beat all the Secret Missions, my god I never use Royal Guard so I just killed one of them and mashed B in a corner, kept getting to 4 and would get hit. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't send you halfway back through the level when you die. :lol

I'm still missing a single blue orb fragment, going to have to research the whole game probably. :(

If you're anything like me, then you're missing the orb you get in mission 12 from the combat adjudicator. I totally forgot about those stairs off to the right when you get to the room with the knights and then I noticed it yesterday :lol

Narag

Saint Gregory said:
If you're anything like me, then you're missing the orb you get in mission 12 from the combat adjudicator. I totally forgot about those stairs off to the right when you get to the room with the knights and then I noticed it yesterday :lol

There's also the adjudicator in 15 that you don't see if you take off first thing through the door ahead of you.

Narag said:
There's also the adjudicator in 15 that you don't see if you take off first thing through the door ahead of you.

Yeah I missed that one until the third time I played that mission. I'm not even sure what made me turn around to see it.

Mugen

Banned
Darkpen said:
Actually, if there's anything I've noticed with Dante's face in 4, it's that he has this small hint of asian-ness in his facial structure, mainly around the eyes. It actually bugs me a lot, especially in DMC3 (yes, there are asians who look almost spot on as young Dante). I mean, it could have more to do with a placebo effect on my part, but I can't help but notice how asian a lot of these 3D characters are, now more than ever. Several examples being anything from S-E, and Snake in MGS2 and 3, but despite Snake's half-Japanese excuse, just look at those other characters in MGS4. Somehow, only Drebin and Vamp have no asian influence. I dunno, maybe I'm just seeing things.

So, seeing video game characters that "look" asian upsets you? You even admit that it may be a "placebo effect" and that you're just imagining things. You are a sellout self hater.

eso76 said:
Poll: for those who've seen both version, do you prefer 60fps or 30fps+motion blur cutscenes ?

I find myself liking the 30fps blurred look a lot more; looks much more organic and consistent, gives everything a CG movie look. The blur hides real time CG shortcomings, while 60fps make everything look too clean and artificial.

i dunno if it's the same in both versions (i assume that it is), but there is some nasty pixelation on some parts in a few of the cutscenes.

so i would have preferred that capcom done whatever it took for that nastiness not to happen.

slade

Damn, these moves keep going up in prices. I'm just four moves away from fully upgrading Dante but they all cost upwards of 18,000 proud souls now.

So, I've been getting S ranks on SoS yet I'm only getting As in orbs and time (S in style). Was this always the case in past games? I've never attempted to S run before.

Darkpen

Banned
Mugen said:
So, seeing video game characters that "look" asian upsets you? You even admit that it may be a "placebo effect" and that you're just imagining things. You are a sellout self hater.
Have you SEEN Advent Children?

X26

Banned
Playing the game, I was pretty dissapointed. Nero's section for me was just bad. Terrible "plot", terrible dialouge, terrible character, and Nero's just not that much fun to use...and then I finally got to Dante's section. GOD DAMN why wasn't the whole game just Dante? Game for me went from a 5/10 to a 9.5/10. Dante's even more fun to use than in DMC3, the game stops taking itself too seriously, and the cutscenes are fun to watch and not cringeworthy like with Nero's missions.

zombi

Im at chapter 13 and I really like Nero over Dante. I didnt think the devil bringer would be as useful as it is, Im totally missing it now. Add that to the fact that Im totally lost and Im wanting Nero stages back.

pj

Banned
Nero is great for people like me who aren't very good at dmc. It's like the beginner lesson that prepares you for the advanced class. I'm in the dante missions now, and I'm starting to get into the combat more than I ever did in dmc1 and 3.

slade

Danne-Danger said:
Last one costs 100k. :(

Ouch!!! I'm in for the long haul then, which is actually pretty good. It's been a while since I played a game as replayable as this one. All said and done, I think I'll probably eclipse the 90 hours I spent across both DMC3 and DMC3SE.

LordK

Holy crap has anyone gotten an S on mission 2 in DMD? I freaking got SAS and I got an A overall. I had like 8456 in style. I guess I should just dodge Berial a lot more so I don't lose my style meter. I hope other missions aren't as hardcore like this to get an S in DMD.

pj

Banned
This game would really benefit from a practice mode where you can specify which enemies spawn and how often. There are some moves that I'd like to be able to do over and over until I get the hang of them.

zombi

pj325is said:
Nero is great for people like me who aren't very good at dmc. It's like the beginner lesson that prepares you for the advanced class. I'm in the dante missions now, and I'm starting to get into the combat more than I ever did in dmc1 and 3.
Dont get me wrong, Im not saying hes hard to play as, I can get more style points as Dante than Nero and its way easier to do so. I just really enjoyed Nero's new mechanics.

pj

Banned
zombi said:
Dont get me wrong, Im not saying hes hard to play as, I can get more style points as Dante than Nero and its way easier to do so. I just really enjoyed Nero's new mechanics.

I wasn't talking specifically to you, I clicked reply before you posted.

But, I felt the same as you when I was on mission 13. Mission 15 changed my mind..

Future

slade said:
Ouch!!! I'm in for the long haul then, which is actually pretty good. It's been a while since I played a game as replayable as this one. All said and done, I think I'll probably eclipse the 90 hours I spent across both DMC3 and DMC3SE.

If you can complete the bloody palace (or at least get far in it, I got to level 80 I think) you get a shit ton of proud orbs. I'm pretty sure I got somewhere around 40,000 (took like 2 hours though :p)

I clocked around 70 hours in DMC3 and DMC3SE, but for some reason dont think I'll spend as much time here. DMD mode is not as hard (yet?) and the non-combat stuff in the single player annoys me much more than anything in DMC3 did. I'll push through a little more though. Gotta do a couple of Hell or Hell levels for kicks, heh

zombi

pj325is said:
I wasn't talking specifically to you, I clicked reply before you posted.

But, I felt the same as you when I was on mission 13. Mission 15 changed my mind..
Then I really look forward to mission 15

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Just got my last skill. I said wow. Isn't there an Accomplishment for that? Is it true you gotta be logged in to get it? Does that mean I'll never ever get it now? =[

Narag

SnakeXs said:
Just got my last skill. I said wow. Isn't there an Accomplishment for that? Is it true you gotta be logged in to get it? Does that mean I'll never ever get it now? =[
Finish a mission and see if you get it.

DiddyBop

_leech_ said:
Those damn black mist guys really, really piss me off. By far the most annoying enemies in the game.

with dante just dodge their spikes and shot gun them till the shadow disappears and go to town on them before they get their shadows back.for nero,just keep dogding while DBing them till the shadow disappears. they are easy as hell as long as you time your dodges for that spike attack they have.

Top Bottom