• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

pj

Banned
_leech_ said:
Those damn black mist guys really, really piss me off. By far the most annoying enemies in the game.

The ones where you have to snatch at them until the mist goes away? Those are hella easy, even the one with the cowboy hat is easy if you dodge liberally

Defuser

_leech_ said:
Those damn black mist guys really, really piss me off. By far the most annoying enemies in the game.
Nero
Snatch
Buster
Charge shot LV 2/3

Dante
Shotgun
Honeycomb(Gunslinger)
Pandora

Narag

Sandman42 said:
Protip:
-Fireworks as Dante
-Buster / Charge Shot as Nero

Works wonders.

Snatch works as a fine intermediary too and makes for some fun if you time it between a level 3 charged shot that knocks off the cloak and the secondary explosion.

X26

Banned
_leech_ said:

When I first started playing I died so many times in the jungle where you have to deal with them while on those dissapearing platforms

Darkpen

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
I second this.
figuring out that you can buster about half of the incoming major attacks in this game is freaking awesome, lol, ESPECIALLY
countering sanctus's sparda thrusts in the second to last fight. It seems you can't buster the first one, but you can buster the ones after that.

Narag

Darkpen said:
figuring out that you can buster about half of the incoming major attacks in this game is freaking awesome, lol, ESPECIALLY
countering sanctus's sparda thrusts in the second to last fight. It seems you can't buster the first one, but you can buster the ones after that.

Well now I know how people get 100k+ scores on that on DH! I'll be doing that tomorrow. :lol

dralla said:
You use the DB on the statue's arm when he tries to smash you, it'll pop Sanctus out immediately

fuckin' beat :[

Really? WTF. That's awesome. So many nifty little tricks in this game. It's a damn shame so many won't even notice them.

Anyway, does it have to be a counter?

X26 said:
Playing the game, I was pretty dissapointed. Nero's section for me was just bad. Terrible "plot", terrible dialouge, terrible character, and Nero's just not that much fun to use...and then I finally got to Dante's section. GOD DAMN why wasn't the whole game just Dante? Game for me went from a 5/10 to a 9.5/10. Dante's even more fun to use than in DMC3, the game stops taking itself too seriously, and the cutscenes are fun to watch and not cringeworthy like with Nero's missions.

Total opposite. Nero is just so fun with his DB and I promise you don't even know have the things he can do with his DB on bosses (well, most of them involves countering but there is a lot more to Nero than meets the eye).

Charged shot level 3, snatch, high roller IR, two IR slashes, pause, roulette, air hike to match the height, repeat, snatch to buster, grab another one and do the same without even touching teh ground.

it's like damn dude.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think I might be in the Nero > Dante camp right now. It's amazing how something as simple as charge shot completely changes the gameplay. :D

Darkpen

Banned
Chamber said:
I think I might be in the Nero > Dante camp right now. It's amazing how something as simple as charge shot completely changes the gameplay. :D
Dante really is for the hardcore dmc3 fans, more than anything else. Nero definitely brings back the feeling of basic combat that DMC1 did, and then some.

X26

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Total opposite. Nero is just so fun with his DB and I promise you don't even know have the things he can do with his DB on bosses (well, most of them involves countering but there is a lot more to Nero than meets the eye).

Charged shot level 3, snatch, high roller IR, two IR slashes, pause, roulette, air hike to match the height, repeat, snatch to buster, grab another one and do the same without even touching teh ground.

it's like damn dude.

I dunno, maybe I'll like him a bit more in future playthroughs, but to me there was jsut such a costrast between the two characters in Dante's favor that it makes Nero look pretty lame

I'll admit that I defidentely don't know all the in's and out's of Nero (never even bothered with charged shot for one thing), so that might be a factor as well.

Darkpen said:

Wait? I thought it was mandatory against the final fight? No other way seems to damage him on his last little sliver of life when he goes into "sparda-stinger' mode.

Granted, I just used a holy water since I couldn't figure it out first time I played.

Also, however -- you can counter buster him at any time when he begins his sparda attack sequence. I did it on his first lunge.

Sidzed2

I think Nero's gameplay has a sense of purity about it; there are a limited number of tools at your disposal, but each one has a depth and utility which give combat scenarios flexibility and excitement.

Dante is more dog-gone crazy, and is still VERY fun, but as posters above have stated, Nero's gameplay is reminiscent of the uncluttered DMC1 gameplay which I so adore.

While I never want to see Dante gone, I really hope Nero's gameplay mechanics are the future standard for the series. Devil May Cry 4 brings it back to DMC1 quality for me, even though DMC3 was in its own right a very good game.

I must say, though, that the music of DMC1 has never been bettered in the series. Do any of the tracks in DMC4 compare to the Nelo Angelo battle theme? If i'm not mistaken, the Angelo Credo fight sounds a little familiar at some points, but hey, could just be me.

Speaking of Angelo Credo, BEST BOSS BATTLE since Nelo Angelo, IMO. has that awesome one-on-one feeling, great setting, great character design, tough, but not ridiculous (like Dante), just great stuff. BUT HOW IRONIC IS IT that he is the only boss that YOU FIGHT ONCE.

Lol, it's the only battle I would have liked repeated ;)

X26 said:
I dunno, maybe I'll like him a bit more in future playthroughs, but to me there was jsut such a costrast between the two characters in Dante's favor that it makes Nero look pretty lame

I'll admit that I defidentely don't know all the in's and out's of Nero (never even bothered with charged shot for one thing), so that might be a factor as well.

Yeah, charged level 3 is cool. You don't need to be walking to charge it either, just press X (or square) and hold, and you can still tap the melee button by shifting your thumb to the Y (or /\ button) -- some just altogether map shoot to L1 though.

When you play on harder modes, you'll find that snatch and bustering to be a god-send. When you're fighting 2 frosts on DMD, and their dodging your snatches and you finally latch on to them via a devil triggered snatch/buster and start going apeshit and ultimately save your ass -- then you'll know...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Narag said:
There's also the adjudicator in 15 that you don't see if you take off first thing through the door ahead of you.

Haha, that's the one I was missing, thanks. :lol

It even shows it in the cutscene, but I guess the air slowly killing you made me just run forward without thinking.

C- Warrior said:
Wait? I thought it was mandatory against the final fight? No other way seems to damage him on his last little sliver of life when he goes into "sparda-stinger' mode.

Granted, I just used a holy water since I couldn't figure it out first time I played.

Also, however -- you can counter buster him at any time when he begins his sparda attack sequence. I did it on his first lunge.

If you roll out of the way on all of his attacks miss he's open for a counterattack afterwards. It's a small window and you may not be able to stun him on higher difficulties so it's probably best to not do it this way.

X26 said:
When I first started playing I died so many times in the jungle where you have to deal with them while on those dissapearing platforms
First thing that went through my mind there was "fuck that" before I jumped back to fight them on solid ground. Luckily the platforms come back to a reasonable jump distance after a while. :p

MechaX

Well, after getting past Mission 5 on DMD mode (Frosts + Reapers = Not fun), I think I might have hit my limit for a little while on Mission 6 DMD Mode.

Naturally, I didn't take the stories seriously that foreshadowed exactly how DMD effected the Board Game. Here I was, one step away from the exit. I'm used to other playthroughs where I could simply hit any number on the Dice and land on the exit.

Oh, NO. That would be way too simple for Capcom.

I land a five or a six, hit the exit space, go backwards, land on a red space, and I'm promptly taken to a boss battle with Bael (Who swallowed Nero and killed him within seconds of the fight starting). Red Spaces = Bosses now?

Fuck you Dice Game. Fuck you, Capcom.

Chamber said:
I just love the Devil Bringer.
jsgdxu.png

Papercuts

MechaX said:
Well, after getting past Mission 5 on DMD mode (Frosts + Reapers = Not fun), I think I might have hit my limit for a little while on Mission 6 DMD Mode.

Naturally, I didn't take the stories seriously that foreshadowed exactly how DMD effected the Board Game. Here I was, one step away from the exit. I'm used to other playthroughs where I could simply hit any number on the Dice and land on the exit.

I land a five or a six, hit the exit space, go backwards, land on a red space, and I'm promptly taken to a boss battle with Bael (Who swallowed Nero and killed him within seconds of the fight starting). Red Spaces = Bosses now?

Watch the number on top, buster it when what you want is on top, and it'll land on that.

slade

MechaX said:

LOL, that's awesome. I'll make sure I don't hit more then the number I need on DMD. And red spaces can be boss fights even in SoS mode. I got taken to Berial once because I jumped the timing on the hit to the dice.

MechaX

Narag said:
Yup. Sadly this still works in DMD.

Sadly? You'd want to do Mission 18 on DMD without the dice trick?

EDIT: Mission 19. Either way, evil dice, evil board game inside an evil Sparda statue.

Narag

I only fear the dice on mission 19!

I should clarify too. I expected some sort of dice trick in DMD but I figured they'd change it to something like an EX slash, charged shot, snatch, etc.

Dahbomb

Anyone got a full list of where to find all the Secret Missions? I have some of them but I want to get them all in preparation for DMD mode. :D

And those vids are SICK! Dante for life!

pj325is said:
This game would really benefit from a practice mode where you can specify which enemies spawn and how often. There are some moves that I'd like to be able to do over and over until I get the hang of them.

Ugh, there is a lot of things Capcom could have put in.

Cerberus, Agni and Rudra, Nevan, Ifrit etc. -- the animations in the previous DMC games are good enough, just re-texture them and make them ready to go in HD. In considering they'd be bonus -easter egg- weapons, I don't think people would be too critical of them if they aren't graphically as pretty as pandora or something.

And also, why not have previous bosses from previous DMC games come in. Again, it's just uprez. the textures. Animations, A.I, everything should be a go.

Why no Vergil?

Why no Boss Rush Mode?

Why no DMC1 costume Dante?

Why can't I record clips of me playing and host them online via Halo? DMC4 is made for that shit.

And damn, I understand not having co-op for the main story since the game's enemies and environments are designed for single player, but why not bloody palace co-op? It's a large, clean, circular environment...they can do the online code (they've demonstrated it well with Lost Planet) they also hvae done it before (see DMC3 SE vergil final mission)
Capcom -is so- doing a special edition

Dahbomb

Thanks.

And your avatar has reminded me that Blitz is indeed the Shadow of DMC4. These enemies just rape you hard in the game and you really need to step up your game with them.

Edit: God damn it C-Warrior.... don't be giving Capcom any ideas for a re-release version. :lol

Defuser

lol, distorted Real Impact.

1)Do a Real Impact normally
2)Activate DT on the first hit
3)Deactivate DT on the third hit
4)Big Damage
5)???
6)Profit!!!

Yasser

Defuser said:

4)Big Damage
5)???
6)Profit!!!
pretty much. according to Malcom90k from gfaqs:
"I've noticed something interesting the last few times I've used Real Impact. It seemed common sense to DT before using it, to add a bit more damage to it, but I think I've found a way to stack some extra hits on it. Perform the Real Impact, non-DT'd, then the second it connects, DT, then on the very last hit, Deactivate-DT. It sounds weird, but every time you change, it seems to add another "flash" (where you see the flash of light and the motion freezes) of damage. I haven't tested this to verify 100%, but it seemed to work on Fausts. Normally I hit Fausts with one stinger, one Full house, Real Impact, then another Full House, and maybe kick 13 if theyre still alive. When I tried this on one of them, they died instantly, didn't need any of those extra moves.

If you watch this video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1S_VatHSsbM

You can see the player deactivate DT on the last hit of his Real Impact, and it adds another flash of damage. He's skipping the first part what I'm doing (not DTing before using the move, but rather right when it connects). If this works, it could be a nice way to add more power to an already awesome move. Just thought I'd share it with you guys. "

Dahbomb

Defuser said:

4)Big Damage
5)???
6)Profit!!!
This reminds me of the distorted Inferno glitch in DMC1.

1) Do an Inferno while in DT mode
2) Deactivate DT before it lands
3) Big damage + your DT is set to max
4) Repeat
5) Profit

This is bullshit.

I have all blue orbs and secret missions done except for one, piece of shit blue orb FRAGMENT.

I get all the ones in the mine shaft in mission 3, and I really do think have all the other ones (i was checking out mycheats at 1up, and it seems I have all of them).

I know there is one with Dante, mission 17 in the streets next to fortuna inn.

Are there any combo adjudicators that are hidden? I got the one in the forest w/ dante that's behind the glass/window.

Papercuts

C- Warrior said:
This is bullshit.

I have all blue orbs and secret missions done except for one, piece of shit blue orb FRAGMENT.

I get all the ones in the mine shaft in mission 3, and I really do think have all the other ones (i was checking out mycheats at 1up, and it seems I have all of them).

I know there is one with Dante, mission 17 in the streets next to fortuna inn.

Are there any combo adjudicators that are hidden? I got the one in the forest w/ dante that's behind the glass/window.

I had this problem earlier, there's a combo adjudicator right at the start of mission 15 that you may have passed because of the gas that drains your health. There's also another on Mission 12 after you defeat the knights, take the stairs on the right instead of leaving and keep going up until you find a combo adjudicator.

C- Warrior said:
Did you get the one for Dante which is in the "escape in 10 minutes"-mission?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Wow, didn't know you could avoid it like that, it must have a smaller hitbox than I imagined lolol...

*goes to try it out*

Darkpen

Banned
Narag said:
Well now I know how people get 100k+ scores on that on DH! I'll be doing that tomorrow. :lol
actually, they're raking in those scores by just massing stylish points by respawning enemies, and simply meeting orb and S time requirements

Dahbomb

Yeah, Devil Hunter ranking is highly reliant on Stylish points so you gotta be killing those enemies fast and hard. Not getting hit is primary focus, as No Damage bonus gives you major boost on your scores.

Singho

Yeah, Nero's shuffle move is dirty. :D

I've managed to get myself out of many a sticky situation using that against Mephisto's red nail attacks, white knight charges and even against Blitz. The only thing I had trouble against was projectiles but I may have timed it wrong.

There was a one or two attacks against the Viper boss that shuffle didnt seem to go through either, i'll have to have a think.

Against lower grunts it helps if you have Snatch 3 as you can yank their ass back down.

Top Bottom