• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

-viper-

Banned
I've got a question about the difficulty of this game.

How difficult is the 'Normal' mode of DMC4, compared to DMC3's Normal?

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I keep dying when I fight
credo
on mission 8 (I think). If I could use dante in this fight, it would be a lot easier because I could easily dodge his attacks with trickster, but Nero doesnt haver that move and I'm finding it difficult to dodge his attacks. I also cant get much damage on him. I wait for him to attack, slash him a few times and keep repeating until I can use the DB on him properly, but that takes too long.

psycho_snake

-viper- said:
I've got a question about the difficulty of this game.

How difficult is the 'Normal' mode of DMC4, compared to DMC3's Normal?
A lot easier. Ememies are not as difficult, health is a lot easier to come across and Capcom did the sensible thing of having a checkpoint right outside the boss fight, which makes the game a hell of a lot less frustrating than DMC3.

Boss fights are still tough, but it wouldnt be much fun if they were easy too.

psycho_snake

pj325is said:
This game would really benefit from a practice mode where you can specify which enemies spawn and how often. There are some moves that I'd like to be able to do over and over until I get the hang of them.
A practice would have been really useful. That way you can practice moves until you;re good enough to put a few together and get high stylish points.

The best way to practice is to do one of the earlier levels and just try out your abilities. Its not as good as a practice mode, but its still useful.

BojTrek

Banned
Jeez! I was up to Level 12 last Saturday... I started as Dante and turned it off... I assumed it saved... NOPE!

I restarted yesterday and found that I was at Level 10 again... DAMN!

So, I had to replay Level 10 and Level 11... it wasn't too bad... I defeated the guy trying to get me in the giant and beat up Dante quickly using the get on top of table structure...

I am now saved on Level 12 and can start it tonight...

-viper-

Banned
psycho_snake said:
A lot easier. Ememies are not as difficult, health is a lot easier to come across and Capcom did the sensible thing of having a checkpoint right outside the boss fight, which makes the game a hell of a lot less frustrating than DMC3.

Boss fights are still tough, but it wouldnt be much fun if they were easy too.
Hmm okay cool. I think I'll get the game once I acquire a 'next-gen' console.

Currently I'm playing DMC3 on easy. lawl.

But it has not troubled me at all. It's pretty damn easy, except you have NO FUCKING IDEA WHERE THE FUCK TO GO. I've had DMC3 for two years now and I'm now on mission 17.

I hate backtracking. Is it worse in DMC4?

Well, you do back track through the entire game as Dante but you have different objectives and new enemy encounters. It's not based on puzzles and such like other games where you need to back track after getting item B to fit in slot A which was ten levels down where you acquire item C etc....

Narag

-viper- said:
Hmm okay cool. I think I'll get the game once I acquire a 'next-gen' console.

Currently I'm playing DMC3 on easy. lawl.

But it has not troubled me at all. It's pretty damn easy, except you have NO FUCKING IDEA WHERE THE FUCK TO GO. I've had DMC3 for two years now and I'm now on mission 17.

Dante is essentially going back through previous levels where the puzzles involved are finding the correct route. Its pretty much a straight shot aside from mission 13. You can, however, still explore connected areas in the levels with Dante for additional orbs and enemy encounters.

-viper- said:
Not really, which is why I don't understand the sudden complaints about it in 4. I guess it's more obvious you're backtracking in 4 than 3 or 1, but it has always been something the series has had in its core design.

Narag

Magicpaint said:
Not really, which is why I don't understand the sudden complaints about it in 4. I guess it's more obvious you're backtracking in 4 than 3 or 1, but it has always been something the series has had in its core design.

I feel it centers around the following 3 things:
1) People new to the series that didn't expect it.
2) Longtime fans that felt it was a last-gen design issue that should've been resolved by now.
3) People not so much upset at the backtracking itself but the fact one used Dante on the way back without giving him levels/enemies designed strictly for him.

Regarding #3, I'll give them that the levels felt shoehorned at times but I think I'll make a case for enemies designed well for both protagonists in a future post. Nero had fewer options so the "correct" way to approach an enemy was found easier. Between the different styles/DAs/firearms, Dante was a different beast altogether.

Atrophis

Ive had DMC3 for years and im only up to Cerberus, beat that :p

It is FAR easier that DMC3. The simple fact you dont have to restart a level if you die at a boss is a massive help. This is what always puts me off coming back to DMC3 even though i really want to complete it.

Im on mission 19 on DMC4. Loved it so far. Dantes cut scenes are great. Going back to Nero after a few Dante missions made Nero feel very limited though.

Lince

Banned
Narag said:
3) People not so much upset at the backtracking itself but the fact one used Dante on the way back without giving him levels/enemies designed strictly for him.

exactly, I find Nero's levels way more fun to play

DiddyBop

the game levels are huge,beautiful and very detailed,you guys must relaly not know how long it takes to create such a big gameworld,did you want this game to be in production for an additional yr just to get rid of backtracking? its not even that bad,i did not mind one bit.adventure game this is not,the focus is on combat and it easily makes you forget that you are goin through the same areas as nero.

Narag said:
Regarding #3, I'll give them that the levels felt shoehorned at times but I think I'll make a case for enemies designed well for both protagonists in a future post. Nero had fewer options so the "correct" way to approach an enemy was found easier. Between the different styles/DAs/firearms, Dante was a different beast altogether.
Agreed. I guess this is why it never bothered me much. Dante made everything feel fresh again.

ElyrionX

God, I'm weaksuace. I can't get anywhere further than level 17 with Nero or Dante in Bloody Palace. I just keep running out of fucking time. The time limit is bullshit. I like to take my time to dispose of the enemies because that's just my style. I like to play defensively and Bloody Palace just doesn't accommodate that at all. It's really frustrating.

The only thing I dislike about the game is that despite the time put into it, it still feels "empty". I feel like Dante's parts were rushed, the story isn't complete (at least it isn't completely told/shown to us... why couldn't we see Nero's mishap in the woods?), and the inclusion of Dante at all seems forced.

I wouldn't have minded a Nero only game with the chance to unlock Dante's path through the game. What'd he do after fleeing from the opera house? Why is he just starting to fight these bosses if he'd already made it through the area before? What about Trish and Lady? I would have liked if they were fleshed out a bit more (no pun intended).

Lince

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
The only thing I dislike about the game is that despite the time put into it, it still feels "empty". I feel like Dante's parts were rushed, the story isn't complete (at least it isn't completely told/shown to us... why couldn't we see Nero's mishap in the woods?), and the inclusion of Dante at all seems forced.

I wouldn't have minded a Nero only game with the chance to unlock Dante's path through the game. What'd he do after fleeing from the opera house? Why is he just starting to fight these bosses if he'd already made it through the area before? What about Trish and Lady? I would have liked if they were fleshed out a bit more (no pun intended).

DMC4 should've been 20+ missions for Nero which unlock a hi-def remake of DMC3 with new moves and weapons for Dante/Vergil fans. Awesome.

pj

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Ugh, there is a lot of things Capcom could have put in.

Cerberus, Agni and Rudra, Nevan, Ifrit etc. -- the animations in the previous DMC games are good enough, just re-texture them and make them ready to go in HD. In considering they'd be bonus -easter egg- weapons, I don't think people would be too critical of them if they aren't graphically as pretty as pandora or something.

And also, why not have previous bosses from previous DMC games come in. Again, it's just uprez. the textures. Animations, A.I, everything should be a go.

Why no Vergil?

Why no Boss Rush Mode?

Why no DMC1 costume Dante?

Why can't I record clips of me playing and host them online via Halo? DMC4 is made for that shit.

And damn, I understand not having co-op for the main story since the game's enemies and environments are designed for single player, but why not bloody palace co-op? It's a large, clean, circular environment...they can do the online code (they've demonstrated it well with Lost Planet) they also hvae done it before (see DMC3 SE vergil final mission)
Capcom -is so- doing a special edition

A special edition would be so lame

I'd buy it

I think a practice mode could be done easily with dlc, since there's really no new assets or anything. The back of the box doesn't say downloadable content, so I don't know it's able to have dlc.

Victrix

*beard*
Anyone have some tips for knocking the cloak off of Mephistos with Nero? Or just killing them quickly in general?

I've been doing really well on SoS mode (S ranked the first several missions first try), but I just hit an ugly point on M5 with Frosts + Mephistos 3 at a time, and I can't figure out a way to kill them quickly.

I've been using charged shots, but those don't seem to work well, and sword slashes do jack all.

Another problem is that in the interest of using charged shots in the middle of combos, I remapped shoot from X to RT, and while that works fairly well for charging and comboing, it is both uncomfortable, and a huge pain to rapid fire while locking/unlocking with rb and doing combos at the same time.

Do I need rapid fire shots only to knock off their cloak, or is there another trick to it? I've been hitting their little claw beam thing that seems to stagger them, and hitting that and then doing a charged shot bumps up the style meter, but it doesn't actually seem to be hurting them much.

Victrix

*beard*
boggle, I tried using buster, but he'd just 'weave' through it, and it wouldn't connect - do they have to be staggered from hitting their claw first?

Victrix

*beard*
ahh, I was't persistent enough. word, I'll give that a shot, because it was taking fooooreeever to kill them 'normally'

VVVVV: that'd be why, I didn't even think to use that on them for some reason

Shiver

ElyrionX said:
God, I'm weaksuace. I can't get anywhere further than level 17 with Nero or Dante in Bloody Palace. I just keep running out of fucking time. The time limit is bullshit. I like to take my time to dispose of the enemies because that's just my style. I like to play defensively and Bloody Palace just doesn't accommodate that at all. It's really frustrating.
Try switching Blue Rose to L1 if you haven't already. Made a big difference to me when you always have a lvl 3 charge ready.

dralla

L3 Charged shot + one snatch will decloak them. Try and time it so that you have both Mephisto's decloaked at the same time, than you can rack up a big combo

Draft

I would put forth that if you are out of time by the 17th floor, you are simply too weaksauce to even attempt Bloody Palace. It's pretty hard, and you should be getting killed long before you start to run out of time.

I've never died with less than 2 minutes left on the clock.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I can't see how anyone is running out of time in Bloody Palace. I've never even looked at the timer. You'd have to be playing way more defensively than you ever should be.

Maggot9

Banned
dralla said:
L3 Charged shot + one snatch will decloak them. Try and time it so that you have both Mephisto's decloaked at the same time, than you can rack up a big combo

Why does everyone say L3 Charged shot? Do they move the shoot button to the L3 button or something?

tanod

when is my burrito
Maggot9 said:
Why does everyone say L3 Charged shot? Do they move the shoot button to the L3 button or something?

level 3

Is there a trick to table hopper because it doesn't seem to work? I always roll instead.

Junpei Heat

Mission 6 on DMD is
2275624148_54cd866454_o.gif

I've started to use custom soundtracks since I've been through the game so many times,and it's so cool to have "Hearts on Fire" playing while you're fighting Angus :lol

Chamber

love on your sleeve
No reason to miss out on a great game because you didn't play 1 and 3. The story doesn't really connect to the other games so you'll be fine.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Draft said:
Remember it's the locked on snatch, not the lockless uppercut.

the uppercut will actually decloak them faster. my strategy is usually just to double jump, buster, and then snatch on my way down

Victrix said:
Anyone have some tips for knocking the cloak off of Mephistos with Nero? Or just killing them quickly in general?

I've been doing really well on SoS mode (S ranked the first several missions first try), but I just hit an ugly point on M5 with Frosts + Mephistos 3 at a time, and I can't figure out a way to kill them quickly.

I've been using charged shots, but those don't seem to work well, and sword slashes do jack all.

Another problem is that in the interest of using charged shots in the middle of combos, I remapped shoot from X to RT, and while that works fairly well for charging and comboing, it is both uncomfortable, and a huge pain to rapid fire while locking/unlocking with rb and doing combos at the same time.

Do I need rapid fire shots only to knock off their cloak, or is there another trick to it? I've been hitting their little claw beam thing that seems to stagger them, and hitting that and then doing a charged shot bumps up the style meter, but it doesn't actually seem to be hurting them much.

Map the shoot button to left bumper (or L1) -- this leaves your right hand free to calmly press right bumper (R1)

I really get sick of fighting all the bosses over again in the last levels of Capcom action games, they need to do something different, and I don't mean ripping off ZOE...

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
delirium said:
Let me ask a question, is it worth it to play this game if you have no experience with the others?

This is my first DMC and I really enjoyed it so I guess it's worth it.

gray_fox224 said:
Anybody have any tips on how I should upgrade Dante? Use proud souls to max out one style or balance out a couple?

First, purchase attacks for the weapons.

I say this because it's easier to switch weapons on the fly, then styles. So, on your first play through, develop aspects that are more tangible.

So, max out rebellion, gilgamesh, lucifer etc.

Then work out a style level or two that fit your interest.

Don't forget abilities as well -- i.e, air hike, speed, get more orbs etc.

And finally, max out on purple and blue orbs.

gray_fox224 said:
Anybody have any tips on how I should upgrade Dante? Use proud souls to max out one style or balance out a couple?
I say pick two styles that work for you, and Swordmaster ought to be one of the two, and mainly work on those. However, Gunslinger is waaaay less gimped than it was in DMC3SE, at least when it comes to the shotgun and Pandora.

But definitely, definitely go for stuff like double jump and charging the shotgun (pretty crucial for those wraith guys). Dante's all about versatility, but generally I found it to be best to pick two things from each 'choice' and work on them (shotgun+pandora, trickster+swordmaster, rebellion+lucifer) to gain a solid base to work from before expanding into improving other stuff. Really up to you, though - Dante is the epitome of flexibility and you can seriously pick your own playstyle with him, it's awesome.

gray_fox224

C- Warrior said:
First, purchase attacks for the weapons.

I say this because it's easier to switch weapons on the fly, then styles. So, on your first play through, develop aspects that are more tangible.

So, max out rebellion, gilgamesh, lucifer etc.

Then work out a style level or two that fit your interest.

Don't forget abilities as well -- i.e, air hike, speed, get more orbs etc.

And finally, max out on purple and blue orbs.

badcrumble said:
I say pick two styles that work for you, and Swordmaster ought to be one of the two, and mainly work on those. However, Gunslinger is waaaay less gimped than it was in DMC3SE, at least when it comes to the shotgun and Pandora.

But definitely, definitely go for stuff like double jump and charging the shotgun (pretty crucial for those wraith guys). Dante's all about versatility, but generally I found it to be best to pick two things from each 'choice' and work on them (shotgun+pandora, trickster+swordmaster, rebellion+lucifer) to gain a solid base to work from before expanding into improving other stuff. Really up to you, though - Dante is the epitome of flexibility and you can seriously pick your own playstyle with him, it's awesome.

You know, I got so used with Nero's gameplay that it was a bit difficult to abruptly go into Dante's mechanic.
These are great. Thanks to the both of you.

Top Bottom