• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Danielsan

I have finally gotten all the secret blue orb pieces, full healthbar woohoo. :D
It's kind of insane that I've already spent around 34 hours on this game and I'm still far from done with it.

LordK

Mission 14( I think... it's dante's second forest mission) is a pain in the ass to get an S on in DMD. How do you build ANY style whatsoever against the stupid enemies that "slash," have spikes/scarecrows on them? Anytime I get a chance to hit them, their stupid spike shit just comes out and ruins everything. I can only get like 6600 in style on that mission with S in time and orbs. But I still get an A overall.

Narag

copybeaver said:
Mission 14( I think... it's dante's second forest mission) is a pain in the ass to get an S on in DMD. How do you build ANY style whatsoever against the stupid enemies that "slash," have spikes/scarecrows on them? Anytime I get a chance to hit them, their stupid spike shit just comes out and ruins everything. I can only get like 6600 in style on that mission with S in time and orbs. But I still get an A overall.

Charged coyote, pandora, and yamato all have enough power to knock them down and stun them long enough to combo without danger of swinging vines iirc.

sneaky77

I have to say Mission 19 is one of the cheapest BS things I have seen in a game in quite a long time.. i didn't even mind the backtracking, but this stage is just bs.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Narag said:
Charged coyote, pandora, and yamato all have enough power to knock them down and stun them long enough to combo without danger of swinging vines iirc.
Or you could just time them...Atleast from my experience in SOS which is what I do. They always activate at the same amount of time.

sneaky77 said:
I have to say Mission 19 is one of the cheapest BS things I have seen in a game in quite a long time.. i didn't even mind the backtracking, but this stage is just bs.

Both 19 and 20 left a bad taste in my mouth. That's why I'm letting it digest first before articulating my thoughts on the game. I don't want the closing (shitty) moments of the game sully my thoughts of the rest.

Narag

shintoki said:
Or you could just time them...Atleast from my experience in SOS which is what I do. They always activate at the same amount of time.

This is true too. Library entry points out they host doesn't realize it has the parasite as such they both act independantly.

Danielsan

Vyse The Legend said:
Both 19 and 20 left a bad taste in my mouth. That's why I'm letting it digest first before articulating my thoughts on the game. I don't want the closing (shitty) moments of the game sully my thoughts of the rest.
I've actually come to enjoy the last boss fight. Also I don't really get the hate for mission 19, so you fight a couple of boss fights, what's the big deal?

They should have made a multiplayer board game. People take turns rolling the die, if they get killed on red spaces they go back to the start of the board or something. That would have been fun.

Danielsan said:
I've actually come to enjoy the last boss fight. Also I don't really get the hate for mission 19, so you fight a couple of boss fights, what's the big deal?

You fight them for the
third time and have to play the shitty dice game, which isn't so bad but still very lame.
As for the last boss,
he's more or less a repeat boss too, just slightly harder with a couple new tricks. Very, very disappointing.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Danielsan said:

the dice game must be pretty annoying if you don't know how to fix it

edit: i agree that the last two missions are a letdown, though i don't feel as strongly about it as vyse does

sneaky77

Danielsan said:

I just find it lacking of the game.. completely stops it, is a crappy dice game.. yes is easy to land where u want.. but seriously.. is just bad design imo..and lazy, oh we didn't know what else to do to extend the game.. so we crapped this out.

Danielsan

Vyse The Legend said:
You fight them for the
third time and have to play the shitty dice game, which isn't so bad but still very lame.
As for the last boss,
he's more a less a repeat boss too, just slightly harder with a couple new tricks. Very, very disappointing.
Big deal, by now I've fought the bosses countless of times. I actually concider them fun. I don't really care much about the dicegame but hey it gives me free redorbs along the way. You should try mission 18 in DMC3, chessboard+boss gauntlet. :D

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Narag said:
This is true too. Library entry points out they host doesn't realize it has the parasite as such they both act independantly.
Pretty much, the thing I noticed allot too is...They all seem to activate at once on all of them, and end the sametime. Its on in-sych with each other. So timing them was the easiest choice for me. Make sure to time it one 1second earlier too. But once you get the time down. They become no problem other then the assualt ones which go underground...I still haven't found a efficentive way to counter that too much.

I still hate the last boss:lol How in heck do I get an S rank versus him?:lol I found a few tricks like shooting the gun blocks the fire balls, and the pattern of his attacks...like i always know what is coming now. But its still just annoying:lol

Narag

Danielsan said:
Big deal, by now I've fought the bosses countless of times. I actually concider them fun. I don't really care much about the dicegame but hey it gives me free redorbs along the way. You should try mission 18 in DMC3, chessboard+boss gauntlet. :D

That chessboard took longer than all the dice rolls needed to get to bosses in M19 unless you went straight for the King so I still don't get the dice complaints.

Does anyone else get the feeling Credo was supposed to be in that boss gauntlet as well but they replaced him with the shitty angelos?

shintoki said:
Pretty much, the thing I noticed allot too is...They all seem to activate at once on all of them, and end the sametime. Its on in-sych with each other. So timing them was the easiest choice for me. Make sure to time it one 1second earlier too. But once you get the time down. They become no problem other then the assualt ones which go underground...I still haven't found a efficentive way to counter that too much.

I still hate the last boss:lol How in heck do I get an S rank versus him?:lol I found a few tricks like shooting the gun blocks the fire balls, and the pattern of his attacks...like i always know what is coming now. But its still just annoying:lol

Don't shoot the fireballs. Run underneath him where its a safe zone then jump up to attack. When he's doing the savior is coming speech, time it so you can snatch up to him as the AoE finishes then attack with IR air attacks. This'll break his shield almost immediately. If you do this with his back to a wall, he'll stagger slightly and be open for a knockdown. The biggest part of getting an S rank on him is the style points so mix it up, raise your style, and abuse some level 3 charged shots. If he has a sizable chunk of life left when he does the sparda charge, counter with buster and you'll get a massive amount of style points as its directly related to damage there. You don't get jack if he's nearly dead and you do that. :(

Danielsan said:

Are you kidding? I've played DMC3 already. Millions of time. This isn't my first DMC game. :lol

Firstly, the chess game was awesome.

Secondly, the difference in DMC3's boss gauntlet is that it's only the 2nd time you fight the bosses and you get to pick the ones you want to fight. That said, boss gauntlets need to die in general.

I think it's more like since the bosses in DMC4 are so fundamentally fuck-awesome, people just wanted more new ones.

I had no problem fighting them over again since they were fun fights, through and through. And by the time you fight them again with Nero, you're all suped up so it's pretty much your chance to own them this time around :lol

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Narag said:
Don't shoot the fireballs. Run underneath him where its a safe zone then jump up to attack. When he's doing the savior is coming speech, time it so you can snatch up to him as the AoE finishes then attack with IR air attacks. This'll break his shield almost immediately. If you do this with his back to a wall, he'll stagger slightly and be open for a knockdown. The biggest part of getting an S rank on him is the style points so mix it up, raise your style, and abuse some level 3 charged shots. If he has a sizable chunk of life left when he does the sparda charge, counter with buster and you'll get a massive amount of style points as its directly related to damage there. You don't get jack if he's nearly dead and you do that. :(
Wait...you can counter buster his sparda sword charge thing? now we are talkign

and yes about the Credo thing...I wish they put him in there too. He is my favorite boss fight.

burgerdog

AllGamer said:
@burgerdog

How long did it take to beat the Hell and Hell Mode?

Between three and four hours, not much at all. I did mission 10-20 in one sitting, being rushed by my gf so we could watch a movie --;

Roxas

AAAARGGHH i hate the Sanctus battle on level 11. He's such a fucking cocksucking prick!

fucking FIREBALL FIREBALL FIREBALL, LIGHTNING LIGHNITNG FIREBALL DODGE DODGE DODGE then he fucking runs away just before i get to him.

TWAT!

Ok this really sucks, I used a holy water to clear the clusterfuck of Angels and flying swords (I call them assholes), and then my sister and her 13 year old stupid friends come and kick me off the TV (it's her birthday party). Goddamnit DMD, I hate you and love you at the same time. =(

Narag

Roxas said:
AAAARGGHH i hate the Sanctus battle on level 11. He's such a fucking cocksucking prick!

fucking FIREBALL FIREBALL FIREBALL, LIGHTNING LIGHNITNG FIREBALL DODGE DODGE DODGE then he fucking runs away just before i get to him.

TWAT!
Run towards him when he does the fireball. Its attack angle is conic and he can't hit you if you're directly underneath him. Jump up as soon as he stops and attack.

If its the second part of the M11 fight,
buster counter the statue punch to force him out

BboyDubC

Hmmm, I was loving the game until the end... it really started with the Dante section - I mean, why does he feel so inferior/helpless compared to Nero, and it was really hard to chain combos and stuff to get high style meter. The whole revisiting bosses was semi ok, because I got a new item each time, and I wasn't feeling it was really THAT lazy UNTIL THE END OF THE GAME!!
WTF thought it was a good idea to make you refight the same bosses THREE TIMES?!?! WTF IS THE POINT OF THAT?? It was EXTREMELY CHEAP AND LAZY game design. What, so you wanted to make sure that the first TWO TIMES we beat your bosses that it wasn't a fluke or something? Or perhaps you wanted to test that we could still use Nero and defeat them again since we had maybe "forgotten" after beating them with Dante? C'mon capcom, I've loved your games so far this gen, but why the IDIOCY???

BTW, Trish is freakin hot. Capcom, you can redeem yourselves by creating something special for me to play as DLC with Trish. Optional costume of
her as that regal chick
would earn you more brownie points. I will give you more of my moneys!

Narag

Are all the yellow spots in M19 "Go directly to boss." spots? I've hit a couple and its just not too intuitive if so given they were shortcuts of sorts in the previous game.

BboyDubC

Also, I noticed talk about the devil gauge or whatever from pandora... what is that for? I beat DH mode, but still didn't know what it was.

Narag

BboyDubC said:
Also, I noticed talk about the devil gauge or whatever from pandora... what is that for? I beat DH mode, but still didn't know what it was.

The Disaster Gauge is the purple bar between Dante's DT and life bars. It fills using the standard firearm button Pandora attacks and affects the strength of the gunslinger pandora forms.

I just beat Sanctus (lvl 11) on SoS, then tried to go back to Human to practice bustering the Savior smash. I only got it once out of about 5 tries. It seems to be a pretty tight window. I did get Sanctus down to about 1 bar of health only shattering his shield once. I used a Maximum bet followed by a DTed grab.

prodystopian said:
I just beat Sanctus (lvl 11) on SoS, then tried to go back to Human to practice bustering the Savior smash. I only got it once out of about 5 tries. It seems to be a pretty tight window. I did get Sanctus down to about 1 bar of health only shattering his shield once. I used a Maximum bet followed by a DTed grab.

Nice av, I've actually cut out that very pic from my EGM and stuck it in a PS3 case for my CE DMC4. I don't feel like constantly touching that fingerprint magnet every time I want to play.

When the hell am I going to be able to change my av? Am I stuck this way permanently?

Majmun

Probably already mentioned. But WOW at Gloria's cameltoe in the character info screen.

Game is totally amazing thus far. I'm now at mission 13.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Roxas said:

TWAT!

He's even worse on mission 20 :/ I was thoroughly annoyed.

Kagari said:
He's even worse on mission 20 :/ I was thoroughly annoyed.

So was I until I learned to have patience instead of always trying to rush him in his bubble. Actually, it was someone in this thread that told me not to jump towards, just run to him. I don't think I ever thanked that person.... THANK YOU! I've now beat him 3 or 4 times just for practice on DH. Once you get it, you'll laugh at your frustration.

Narag

MoonsaultSlayer said:
So was I until I learned to have patience instead of always trying to rush him in his bubble. Actually, it was someone in this thread that told me not to jump towards, just run to him. I don't think I ever thanked that person.... THANK YOU! I've now beat him 3 or 4 times just for practice on DH. Once you get it, you'll laugh at your frustration.

He isn't that much harder on DMD either. Just takes a few more hits to break his shield.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
MoonsaultSlayer said:

Yeah, it was easy once I did that too.

Narag said:
He isn't that much harder on DMD either. Just takes a few more hits to break his shield.

Yeah, I'm only at the beginning of SoS mode right now. Been on pause since I've gotten back into warhawk. Besides practice, I've also replayed the last mission just to show people the ending movie that isn't viewable in the theatre section.

Narag

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Yeah, I'm only at the beginning of SoS mode right now. Been on pause since I've gotten back into warhawk. Besides practice, I've also replayed the last mission just to show people the ending movie that isn't viewable in the theatre section.

Which isn't viewable?

Top Bottom