• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

MoonsaultSlayer said:
So was I until I learned to have patience instead of always trying to rush him in his bubble. Actually, it was someone in this thread that told me not to jump towards, just run to him. I don't think I ever thanked that person.... THANK YOU! I've now beat him 3 or 4 times just for practice on DH. Once you get it, you'll laugh at your frustration.

Yeah, NEVER use the grapple orbs when fighting sanctus.

Just run towards him, let him dish out an attack and then perform a revved up roulette attack.

when the bubble is broken, and be begins his second form -- and starts throwing out those orbs as fireballs, simply run evade them, and when he begins an attack go in there to knock him down.

Narag

C- Warrior said:
...I believe all cutscenes are viewable, even the secret one in the theatre mode.

I was thinking the same. If he was talking about the secret one, I'm assuming he just didn't save after completing it or didn't see it in the theater.

Bebpo

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Yeah, NEVER use the grapple orbs when fighting sanctus.

Just run towards him, let him dish out an attack and then perform a revved up roulette attack.

when the bubble is broken, and be begins his second form -- and starts throwing out those orbs as fireballs, simply run evade them, and when he begins an attack go in there to knock him down.

I snatch the grapple orbs everytime and beat him without taking any hits really quick even on DMD.

Just run -> jump to dodge attack -> snatch orb or him (whichever it locks onto)

LordK

I apparently need S in orbs in mission 15 to get an S (I end up using an item before the boss fight). How do I get the orb batch that's near the painting of the old man? It has two red orbs leading up to it. I know how to get there with nero, but can't with Dante. The next place is where there are all the tombstones and where you fought mephistos with nero. It's right before the boss fight... it's a huge orb floating WAAAY up there. How do I get that with Dante? Thanks!

Narag

copybeaver said:
I apparently need S in orbs in mission 15 to get an S (I end up using an item before the boss fight). How do I get the orb batch that's near the painting of the old man? It has two red orbs leading up to it. I know how to get there with nero, but can't with Dante. The next place is where there are all the tombstones and where you fought mephistos with nero. It's right before the boss fight... it's a huge orb floating WAAAY up there. How do I get that with Dante? Thanks!
I'm not sure about the one by the portrait but Dante can jump off the fountain in the soldier's graveyard, air hike, then trickster to the middle area. From there he can jump/trickster over to the large red orb.

copybeaver said:

Devil Trigger'ed Trickster.

Allows you to double jump twice, with double sky dashes.

burgerdog

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Yeah, I'm only at the beginning of SoS mode right now. Been on pause since I've gotten back into warhawk. Besides practice, I've also replayed the last mission just to show people the ending movie that isn't viewable in the theatre section.

All movies are viewable from the theatre.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, finished Heaven and Hell and moved on to DMD. Awesome so far up to 5, I'm actually surprised that I've been churning out S ranks on all of them now, especially surprised me on Mission 1.

burgerdog

I was double jumping as DT'ed Dante in swordmaster style last night. I don't think it has to be trickster. Btw, how do you get the red and yellow orb in the soldier's graveyard area? That's where you first fight the shadow cloak thing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
burgerdog said:
I was double jumping as DT'ed Dante in swordmaster style last night. I don't think it has to be trickster.
Nope, not required to be in trickster.

Narag

burgerdog said:
I was double jumping as DT'ed Dante in swordmaster style last night. I don't think it has to be trickster. Btw, how do you get the red and yellow orb in the soldier's graveyard area? That's where you first fight the shadow cloak thing.

Check the third and fourth posts above yours for Dante.

For nero, you can jump, roulette, then air hike again to the get to middle from the fountain below. From there you can do the inair streak that i can't remember what its called then airhike at the end of that. It should put you on either of the ledges where the gold or large red orb are.

burgerdog

Narag said:
Check the third and fourth posts above yours for Dante.

For nero, you can jump, roulette, then air hike again to the get to middle from the fountain below. From there you can do the inair streak that i can't remember what its called then airhike at the end of that. It should put you on either of the ledges where the gold or large red orb are.

So that's how you do it, thanks!

pulga

Banned
Hey guys, just beat the game on Devil Hunter. Was wondering if anyone had a the song that played through the credits. Thanks.

burgerdog said:
All movies are viewable from the theatre.

I thought the part after saving Kyrie wasn't available. Or maybe it was just that part where they're standing there while the song is playing during the credits is what I was thinking of. I'll need to double check.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
pulga said:
Yup, thanks :D

And this has probably been discussed to death already, but where does this game sit in the series timeline? Does it take place after DMC2 or before it?

Before. The order goes 3, 1, 4, 2.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
I thought the part after saving Kyrie wasn't available. Or maybe it was just that part where they're standing there while the song is playing during the credits is what I was thinking of. I'll need to double check.

I just went and watched the prologue 1 video... and sure enough I was right (I knew I wasn't crazy/blind). You can't view the scene where Nero comes back to Kyrie after protecting her. It's not available in the theatre.... unless you can unlock it after completing harder difficulty settings?

Darkpen said:
I see no cameltoe either D:

Also, Sanctus is the easiest boss in the whole game, IMO.
Yeah, it's too bad they made him annoying instead of tactically interesting. His various attacks feel like they belong to an Onimusha final boss. It's an amazing amazing game but it needed a better villain IMO.

LordK

C- Warrior said:
Devil Trigger'ed Trickster.

Allows you to double jump twice, with double sky dashes.

Thanks to you and Narag I went through the level and used tons of more items and
got my S. :)

badcrumble said:
Yeah, it's too bad they made him annoying instead of tactically interesting. His various attacks feel like they belong to an Onimusha final boss. It's an amazing amazing game but it needed a better villain IMO.

He gave me a final form Bohan vibe lol.

Narag

badcrumble said:

Most of the bosses are like this though. Sanctus just didn't have the flash to mask this shortcoming.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
More final bosses need to be like Nobunaga.

Narag

Seiken said:
More final bosses need to be like Nobunaga.

To keep it in the family so to speak, Vergil3 was an excellent example of a last boss.

Punishing if you made mistakes, fast as hell, and I still remember the reaction in the thread I was reading at the time which mirrored my own:

"... did he just DT? .... HIS LIFE BAR IS FILLING BACK UP!" :lol

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KNy2Y6cm-a8&feature=related I adore how fast the tide of battle can change in this and 3.

VaLiancY

Narag said:
To keep it in the family so to speak, Vergil3 was an excellent example of a last boss.

Punishing if you made mistakes, fast as hell, and I still remember the reaction in the thread I was reading at the time which mirrored my own:

"... did he just DT? .... HIS LIFE BAR IS FILLING BACK UP!" :lol

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KNy2Y6cm-a8&feature=related I adore how fast the tide of battle can change in this and 3.

That's why I loved the
second Dante fight, I enjoy seeing characters of the same build go at it then fighting a vast giant.

Dodging them Judgement Cuts were a bitch on Vergil 3.

vMaxx

Hey Gaf,i've just finished the game in easy mode.If i play Devil hunter mode, will i keep my weapons and abilities from easy mode?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
vMaxx said:
Hey Gaf,i've just finished the game in easy mode.If i play Devil hunter mode, will i keep my weapons and abilities from easy mode?

Yes. Now answer my leaderboard question XD

lupin23rd

burgerdog said:
Stand in the center platform to avoid the electricity.

Unbelievable, why didn't I think of that. I'll give that a shot and try to S it.

Also thanks for the tip on the Alto Angel, I'll give that a shot as well.

4 more secret missions and I've got the full lifebar, maybe that will help me out too.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Fighting
Dante
is fucking annoying. I've only had a couple of goes, but I'm not getting close to killing him. Its like fighting a better version of Nero.

psycho_snake

Can anyone give some advice on how to do the revving properly? I'm taking too long to do it, so before I rev the sword up enough, I get hit by an enemy. The only way I can do it is if I rev up my sword before I go into a battle, but as soon as I use it I cant charge it up again because I take too long.

LordK

Fucking
Agnus
. I got through the whole level and the boss fight without using a freaking item and the cock
instantly
killed me with his stupid
spinning shit
. I go ahead and use the yellow orb but nooo, I don't get an overall S despite S in all three things. Then I redo the level and end up using like 5 medium heals and 6 low ones. Then.. I come here and watch vergil do the same thing to dante as
Agnus
just did to me. Ass.

Darkpen

Banned
copybeaver said:
Fucking
Agnus
. I got through the whole level and the boss fight without using a freaking item and the cock
instantly
killed me with his stupid
spinning shit
. I go ahead and use the yellow orb but nooo, I don't get an overall S despite S in all three things. Then I redo the level and end up using like 5 medium heals and 6 low ones. Then.. I come here and watch vergil do the same thing to dante as
Agnus
just did to me. Ass.
.....first of all, lay off of the /spoilering. Really.

"Instantly" needed a spoiler? Spinning shit? Really?

Second, what's this about Vergil? D:

pulga

Banned
So, what's the speculation behind Nero
having Sparda's blood? Long lost half brother to Dante and Vergil, or Vergil's son?

Yoshichan

Darkpen said:
Good stuff! Those I didn't know of was (can't be arsed to spoil and unspoil all the time. I'll spoil it all):

The Viper: can you grab her while she's berserk?!
Sanctus Giant: you can buster the fucking GOD?!
Final boss: buster when he's berserk... wow.

Thanks for the vid!

psycho_snake

drohne said:

i thought you had to stay in the air to avoid the electricity :(

i was pulling some TOTALLY NEEDLESS 'jump, fire guns, use calibur, air hike, shoot some more' bullshit
Thats exactly what I did against agnus :lol

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
my personal thoughts on the game after completing it yesterday:

Positives:
+ At times, the storyline is humorous
+ Nero is a nice break from using Dante, but by the end I wanted to use just Dante due to the fast nature of his attacks.
+ The graphics are slick
+ Fast-paced and nothing too aggravating with the gameplay
+ Leaderboards are a great way to increase replay value.

Negatives:
- Backtracking sucked
- Fighting the bosses three times was disappointing
- A little on the short side
- What happened to Credo? (or am I just forgetting something?)
- Meh love story

Neutral:
* Okay storyline overall
* Wished I could have seen at least one cinema where Trish actually fought outside of her Regal outfit.
* Last boss was a let down as I just wanted him to shut the hell up.
* The hard-rock soundtrack; though I liked the last song in the credits a lot.

Well that would be it for now that I can think of.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
ahh shit, I remember that now. I just kept thinking of his scene with Nero and Kyrie was his last. Thanks.

Top Bottom