• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
andrewfee said:
So, I'm late to the topic, as I was banned for a month (for this post if you're wondering) but now they're both out, have we had a proper PS3/360 comparison based on the final product rather than the demo? The topic was only up to about 40 pages and is now up to 163, so there's not much chance of me finding one if it's been done.

I ended up buying the PS3 version, have finished it and enjoyed the game, but there's quite a few technical problems and I was wondering if they were in the 360 version or not.

I get some really bad slowdown in places, with it seemingly going into single digits in some spots - there's a section in Mission 8 (if I remember correctly) that always slows to a crawl.

There's also an LCD-like motion blur in many places, and doesn't seem to be an option for uncompressed sound, which is what I bought the PS3 version for in the first place. Load times aren't that quick either, despite the lengthy HDD install. (I thought they were supposed to only be a second or two?)

How does the 360 version compare? I know it had tearing and was missing effects in the demo, but have they made it into the final game? Does it have any other problems?

I've never had that bad of slowdown in the PS3 version. Only minor drops in the forest level. The uncompressed sound option is enabled in your PS3 settings menu. The 360 retail version still has tearing/same slow down issues.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
On the 360 version I've only noticed screen tearing on the waterfall part, and two instances of slowdown in the Dante jungle levels.

MCD

PS3 version is using temporal aa which explain the blur, someone better than me can further explain.

360 however, is 2xAA.

360 tears slightly in few places (waterfalls for one) and PS3 have vsync on i think.

MoxManiac

andrewfee said:
So, I'm late to the topic, as I was banned for a month (for this post if you're wondering) but now they're both out, have we had a proper PS3/360 comparison based on the final product rather than the demo? The topic was only up to about 40 pages and is now up to 163, so there's not much chance of me finding one if it's been done.

I ended up buying the PS3 version, have finished it and enjoyed the game, but there's quite a few technical problems and I was wondering if they were in the 360 version or not.

I get some really bad slowdown in places, with it seemingly going into single digits in some spots - there's a section in Mission 8 (if I remember correctly) that always slows to a crawl.

There's also an LCD-like motion blur in many places, and doesn't seem to be an option for uncompressed sound, which is what I bought the PS3 version for in the first place. Load times aren't that quick either, despite the lengthy HDD install. (I thought they were supposed to only be a second or two?)

How does the 360 version compare? I know it had tearing and was missing effects in the demo, but have they made it into the final game? Does it have any other problems?

Uh, why the hell did they ban you for that post.

OK, what the hell. I'm completely lost.

I just finished
the area in some lab where I fight some demonic doctor with a speech impediment. I got the Yamato uber-katana, split the place, shut the waterfall down and cross the bridge. Now, the last thing Nero said was "I should get back to HQ, Credo must know something about this". So once I get back to the castles main hall I start hoofing it back to where I started. And I mean all the friggin way back, across the snow, and the mines, back to the pier, and through the alleyways only to find I can't get back to the starting point because of a jump that I can't possibly reach. What the hell am I supposed to be doing? The game gives me no objectives, and literally lets you backtrack almost all the way to the beginning. Why? Where do I go from here?

Xyphie

NullPointer said:

I just finished
the area in some lab where I fight some demonic doctor with a speech impediment. I got the Yamato uber-katana, split the place, shut the waterfall down and cross the bridge. Now, the last thing Nero said was "I should get back to HQ, Credo must know something about this". So once I get back to the castles main hall I start hoofing it back to where I started. And I mean all the friggin way back, across the snow, and the mines, back to the pier, and through the alleyways only to find I can't get back to the starting point because of a jump that I can't possibly reach. What the hell am I supposed to be doing? The game gives me no objectives, and literally lets you backtrack almost all the way to the beginning. Why? Where do I go from here?

At the portrait of Sanctus (first room in Fortuna Castle) go through the left or right door. (Got stuck there myself :p)

DiddyBop

NullPointer said:

I just finished

the waterfall thing gets a lot of ppl.i spent a good 40 mins backtracking trying to find out what to do next. what you need to do after the waterfall thing is go back to the castle and once you exit through the smashed picture of the priest, head to either the door on either the left or right to that picture,and you'll reach the place where you need to be.

Singho

NullPointer said:

I just finished

I did this too. >_<;;;

Go back to church and go through one of the doors either side of Sanctus's large picture. Beat the Frosts, carry on going straight ahead, go down 3 flights of steps, cross the big massive bridge...:lol:

Can't believe I missed it too. >_<

Just had a wicked couple of hours session on this tonight, got a further 4 S Ranks, although Stage 6 SoS is doing my head in getting the S. Same with Sos Stage 7...I've died in stupid places yet blitzed through much harder areas with barely a scratch. >_<

Oh and...BLOODY PALACE STAGE 24! Berial is a FUCKER on Bloody Palace. I didn't manage to get him to lose his flame till atleast 1/4 of the way down, and he starts spamming moves which you wouldn't expect him to do so early out of his ass! Atomic explosions, ground fireballs and the massive leap he does.

Anyway, busted him up, cruised through the next 5 stages and yup...Blitz got me again! I just wanna hug him! ... and break his back, put him in a camel clutch and humble him!

Caught me by another surprise entrance, still had two of the Lizards running about, it wasn't untill my energy was on critical I realised the blind bastard Blitz was killing them for me!

I'll get past stage 24 tommorow...too tired.

Edit

:lol: Guess we wern't the only ones who backtracked all the way to the start! :D

DiddyBop said:
the waterfall thing gets a lot of ppl.i spent a good 40 mins backtracking trying to find out what to do next. what you need to do after the waterfall thing is go back to the castle and once you exit through the smashed picture of the priest, head to either the door on either the left or right to that picture,and you'll reach the place where you need to be.

Thanks for the advice guys - giving that a shot right now. Looks like its still backtracking, but towards the ice-reaver things.

Success! Thanks again. I've got my forward motion going again.

Its a weird design decision though, to let you backtrack so far. Lost a good hour of progress traavelling all over the place, but it wasn't the worse thing in the world, because the combat is really starting to grow on me.

The look of this game is amazing too - if only they could make a quality Castlevania game like this I wouldn't even mind the backtracking at all.

VaLiancY

Dave1988 said:
Pandora's 666 Omen move is quite good to use at the start of the battle. If you manage to execute it, it drops Blitz's shield instantly. You also can try a fully charged Drive to get its shield down.

After that it's Distorted Real Impact and hoping for the best.

Is that the suitcase move or the laser cannon?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i'm curious to try the ps3 version to see how bad the slowdown gets in the forest area. it can get really, really nasty in the 360 version, to the point that it makes the game hard to play. fighting a blitz in complex terrain with bad camera angles while those floor guys try to eat you and the game is running at 1/3 speed? NOT FUN

the screen tearing is minor and infrequent, and the AA is nice, but...yeah

Oneself

roxya said:

I explained. I did this with DMC and DMC3 special edition (I did DMC2 only once, with Dante and traded it). I keep harder difficulties for the second/third play through so the first time I can learn most enemy patterns etc. and try all the moves to buy only the best ones the other time(s).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
make sure you're holding the lock button, which will keep the laser level with the floor. as far as aiming it horizontally...just try to walk straight and you'll get lucky eventually. annoying mission

MoxManiac said:
Uh, why the hell did they ban you for that post.
This needs to be answered. Uncharted flat out does have tearing. I hope a Mod apologized to you and deepbrown was warned for 1.)calling you a retard 2.)calling for your banning 3.)lying just to defend a game he likes.
EDIT:Scratch that, let sleeping dogs lie. It's good to have you back.

MCD

drohne said:
i'm curious to try the ps3 version to see how bad the slowdown gets in the forest area. it can get really, really nasty in the 360 version, to the point that it makes the game hard to play. fighting a blitz in complex terrain with bad camera angles while those floor guys try to eat you and the game is running at 1/3 speed? NOT FUN

i actually think they that the forest level is the worst in the game.

terrible shadows, slowdowns, tearing and the worst backtracking level (dante) for me.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
McDragon said:
i actually think they that the forest level is the worst in the game.

terrible shadows, slowdowns, tearing and the worst backtracking level (dante) for me.

The shadows in that level are SO bad. They're so low res, it's not even funny. How that passed through QA, we'll never know.

Z3F

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
This needs to be answered. Uncharted flat out does have tearing. I hope a Mod apologized to you and deepbrown was warned for 1.)calling you a retard 2.)calling for your banning 3.)lying just to defend a game he likes.

I didn't even know that saying something like that was such a serious offense here. Stuff like tearing is hard to argue about anyway, so I don't agree with people being banned over stuff like that. Maybe Deepbrown wasn't lying either? Everyone has a different TV and different sensitivity to that kind of stuff. Even when I directly point out the tearing in Halo 3 to my friend, he claims that he can't see it.

LordK

drohne said:

It has gotten REALLY slow for me on the PS3 version as well. Two areas in particular... the one with the bridge where you typically fight mephistos. The other area is where there's a circular portion indented in the scene. If you play on SoS/DMD, you fight some of those lizard-dog things, then a blitz comes out. Sorry I couldn't describe it better. Those two places are hooooorrible.

MCD

Kagari said:
The shadows in that level are SO bad. They're so low res, it's not even funny. How that passed through QA, we'll never know.
probably the cost of 60 fps or multiplatform development, who knows, still I've seen worse shit gets pass QA, this is nothing.

copybeaver said:
It has gotten REALLY slow for me on the PS3 version as well. Two areas in particular... the one with the bridge where you typically fight mephistos. The other area is where there's a circular portion indented in the scene. If you play on SoS/DMD, you fight some of those lizard-dog things, then a blitz comes out. Sorry I couldn't describe it better. Those two places are hooooorrible.
especially this area.

Z3F

Banned
andrewfee said:

?

There are definite slowdowns in the final 360 version but even in the worst spots, I don't think it's close to being single digits bad. Even the slowest sections were quite playable. In terms of differences, I can only compare the final 360 version to the PS3 demo and IMO, the 360 looks crisper. It's not a huge difference though. It just looked like someone smeared a bit of vaseline over the PS3 version. If you're afraid about using the 360 joypad for this game, don't be. The triggers work just fine. Rumble also feels nice .

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Oneself said:
I explained. I did this with DMC and DMC3 special edition (I did DMC2 only once, with Dante and traded it). I keep harder difficulties for the second/third play through so the first time I can learn most enemy patterns etc. and try all the moves to buy only the best ones the other time(s).
how do you learn patterns when most enemies fall over by a gust of wind?:lol
Human mode...is absolutely no representation of the game

tha_con

Banned
andrewfee said:

Which section in Mission 8??? I don't remember it, but I was also kind of into the game, so I might have missed it.

Narag

copybeaver said:
Do heaven and hell kills count towards the achievements for killing so many enemies?

Yup. I got the 10k kill achievement during a heaven or hell run.

tha_con said:
Which section in Mission 8??? I don't remember it, but I was also kind of into the game, so I might have missed it.

Its the Forbidden Plaza or whatever, where you first fight the Assaults. I didn't even notice the slowdown my first time then I did something while panning the camera around later on and wow. :lol

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Just finished the final Secret mission...I only got the timing right for the one sweep attack for royal guardian. So pretty much block those...dodge the rest:lol
Full Life and all SM completed ^_^
290 achievement points so far:lol All I know is...I want 1000 from this game.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
tha_con said:
Berial owns my ass in Bloody Palace. Damn. I need some serious practice.
hes not tough at all, you will get it. You just need to watch out for his AE thing....since he does it random then. and yes...it sucks. But just save up your DT for that fight, and go at him:lol

Victrix

*beard*
shintoki said:
hes not tough at all, you will get it. You just need to watch out for his AE thing....since he does it random then. and yes...it sucks. But just save up your DT for that fight, and go at him:lol

I think you can shuffle-dodge the blast, though I haven't experimented with the timing extensively. Get to him on DMD and get yourself killed when he gets low on health to replay the fight a bit and practice it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Victrix said:
I think you can shuffle-dodge the blast, though I haven't experimented with the timing extensively. Get to him on DMD and get yourself killed when he gets low on health to replay the fight a bit and practice it.
I normally just airhike backwards.:lol

tha_con

Banned
Victrix said:

Yea, that's not even the problem I have with him, I don't freaking get it. I shuffle dodge that shit like there's no tomorrow. It's the lava attacks and his swooping sword attack (you know, the one that seemingly hits everything).

Who knows, I'll play more and get more experience.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
DMD Berial is one of the harder bosses in the game IMO. Probably 2nd after Dante. I still have a difficult time fighting him as Nero.

Narag

Just finished DMD19 for the S rank but confirmed my longheld suspicion it takes a minimum of 4 rolls to get through all 4 boards combined. Well done, Capcom.

burgerdog

RAWR, got an S rank for bloody palace last night. Does anybody know if the proud millionaire achievement counts dante's spent orbs as well? Meaning that you'd have around 600k by the time nero and dante both finish getting all their skills.

Narag

burgerdog said:
RAWR, got an S rank for bloody palace last night. Does anybody know if the proud millionaire achievement counts dante's spent orbs as well? Meaning that you'd have around 600k by the time nero and dante both finish getting all their skills.

They're not counted separately.
Proud Soul target for Proud MIllionaire is 709549.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
tha_con said:
Is there a trick to the 'dice' in those games? I do not understand that at all.
White Dot - Free space, roll again
Red Dot - Enemy spawn or something similar
Blue Dot - Orbs
Yellow Dot - Skip to the next yellow dot on the board

The dice always spin in the same order. For example, 5 will always come after 1 so if you want to roll a 5, wait until you see the 1 and then immediately buster the dice once it turns again. The timing is pretty simple and once you get it the whole thing becomes a breeze and a nice way to farm orbs.

Narag

Chamber said:
White Dot - Free space, roll again
Red Dot - Enemy spawn or something similar
Blue Dot - Orbs
Yellow Dot - Skip to the next yellow dot on the board

The dice always spin in the same order. For example, 5 will always come after 1 so if you want to roll a 5, wait until you see the 1 and then immediately buster the dice once it turns again. The timing is pretty simple and once you get it the whole thing becomes a breeze and a nice way to farm orbs.

Yellow Dot on M19 seems to be "Go Directly to Boss"

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Narag said:
They're not counted separately.
Proud Soul target for Proud MIllionaire is 709549.
Thats how many proud souls you have now?:lol
I only have about 150k or something:lol

I also was looking...it seems like they don't change the style points needed for an S ranking...from difficulty. Which is why its so dam hard on Human but so easy on SOS to get it:lol

Top Bottom