• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Narag

shintoki said:
You mean you can only hold that amount? So you get the achievement there instead of a million?

Yup. The difference between the two numbers is that's the total cost of maxing out Nero/Dante skillsets iirc.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, the Agnus sword room fight on DMD was awful. I know you can stand on the platform but even trying to get around sword attacks just makes it easy to get juggled then land on the floor anyway, which nearly kills you. I never use items in a DMC game but used all my holy waters I had stacked up near the window.

pulga

Banned
NullPointer said:
OK, what the hell. I'm completely lost.

I just finished
the area in some lab where I fight some demonic doctor with a speech impediment. I got the Yamato uber-katana, split the place, shut the waterfall down and cross the bridge. Now, the last thing Nero said was "I should get back to HQ, Credo must know something about this". So once I get back to the castles main hall I start hoofing it back to where I started. And I mean all the friggin way back, across the snow, and the mines, back to the pier, and through the alleyways only to find I can't get back to the starting point because of a jump that I can't possibly reach. What the hell am I supposed to be doing? The game gives me no objectives, and literally lets you backtrack almost all the way to the beginning. Why? Where do I go from here?

What the fuck, I did this as well. :lol :lol :lol Got really frustrated when I got to that final alley and I couldn't jump back up.

DihcarEM said:
And i think the order was in someway responsible for Nero getting that arm, when they found the immensely powerful but broken devil-arm Yamato, it searched for a compatible blood-relative to latch on too and found Nero.

This is what I think as well, there's a reason why Yamato reacted so strongly towards Nero. I just wish Dante would've said something about this :(

VaLiancY

I think I'm going to be alone one this one but the two offensive Yamato abilities I find pretty useless, Maximum Bet and Showdown? I tried for the the first time today and I didn't find as effective as say Dance Macabre.

Narag

VaLiancY said:
I think I'm going to be alone one this one but the two offensive Yamato abilities I find pretty useless, Maximum Bet and Showdown? I tried for the the first time today and I didn't find as effective as say Dance Macabre.

I honestly doubt very many people use them. The only vid I've seen it used was a DMD Berial fight where the player opened with it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
VaLiancY said:
Showdown takes way too long to charge up and unless the first sword strike hits, the rest of the combo won't go off. Pretty annoying.

Darkpen

Banned
NullPointer said:
OK, what the hell. I'm completely lost.

I just finished
the area in some lab where I fight some demonic doctor with a speech impediment. I got the Yamato uber-katana, split the place, shut the waterfall down and cross the bridge. Now, the last thing Nero said was "I should get back to HQ, Credo must know something about this". So once I get back to the castles main hall I start hoofing it back to where I started. And I mean all the friggin way back, across the snow, and the mines, back to the pier, and through the alleyways only to find I can't get back to the starting point because of a jump that I can't possibly reach. What the hell am I supposed to be doing? The game gives me no objectives, and literally lets you backtrack almost all the way to the beginning. Why? Where do I go from here?
Okay, seriously, just how many people actually did this? XD

God damn fucking game. I did this too :( Sure, you SEE the bridge being opened, yet, you don't think about it, instead, you think about backtracking to "HQ," :lol

BeeDog

Darkpen said:

God damn fucking game. I did this too :( Sure, you SEE the bridge being opened, yet, you don't think about it, instead, you think about backtracking to "HQ," :lol

Same here :lol , felt so stupid.

Darkpen said:

Yup, I did it as well. So did a buddy of mine. :p

MCD

Darkpen said:

i did the same thing.

heck i stayed wondering there till i read gamefaqs out of desperation.

Narag

It comes from not retaining what was said earlier before mission 2 where Credo makes it a point about evacuating everyone to HQ from where they were. Its there but at the same time not too clear as its a throwaway line with context revealed later which is ass backwards.

Btw, great job on the leaderboard updates, Darkpen. I'm on the other platform but its cool seeing how I compare to the other half of gaf.

Darkpen

Banned
For new page, before the day's over:

<[PS3 Leaderboards: Top 3]>

(Note: some names listed are fellow GAF members who have not signed up for the leaderboard, but I have on my friends list regardless)

All names are listed by their GAF name for easier association.
All "honorable mentions" are recorded and overwritten based on double-to-single digit rankings, and from bigger to smaller. Also, only one entry per difficulty per player.

Human Total (02/24/08):
00426 - hteng - 1174436
01299 - KGKK - 992161
02688 - Defuser - 897158

Human M01 (02/24/08):
01320 - hteng - 8787
04903 - tsef - 7428
05847 - Matrix - 7289

Human M20 (02/24/08):
01610 - Danne-Danger - 31243
07034 - hteng - 23192
11626 - KGKK - 20680

Human - Honorable Mentions:
00029 - hteng - M09 - 83982 (02/14/08)

Devil Hunter Total (02/24/08):
00370 - Lince - 1472030
00493 - Danne-Danger - 1431870
00826 - MiamiWesker - 1359290

Devil Hunter M01 (02/24/08):
02087 - Remy - 10669
05449 - Lince - 9196
06758 - MiamiWesker - 8886

Devil Hunter M20 (02/24/08):
00134 - hteng - 76913
00388 - MiamiWesker - 63773
00896 - Lince - 41946

Devil Hunter - Honorable Mentions:
00056 - Lince - M07 - 90755 (02/24/08)
00067 - Danne-Danger - M07 - 89007 (02/24/08)
00071 - MiamiWesker - M14 - 54256 (02/14/08)
00031 - hteng - M10 - 108586 (02/14/08)

Son of Sparda Total (02/24/08):
00077 - Vagrant - 3267764
00497 - MiamiWesker - 2703321
00513 - hteng - 2684571

Son of Sparda M01 (02/24/08):
00260 - Vagrant - 14292
00757 - EekTheKat - 13157
00873 - Danne-Danger - 13011

Son of Sparda M20 (02/24/08):
00119 - hteng - 139101
00325 - Vagrant - 82627
00575 - MiamiWesker - 74213

Son of Sparda - Honorable Mentions:
00046 - Lince - M12 - 130934 (02/24/08)
00095 - MiamiWesker - M14 - 113165 (02/24/08)
00001 - Vagrant - M10 - 228232 (02/14/08)
00037 - Danne-Danger - M12 - 123964 (02/14/08)
00065 - hteng - M04 - 198576 (02/14/08)

Dante Must Die Total (02/24/08)
00032 - Vagrant - 6481964
00420 - MiamiWesker - 3274347
00988 - hteng - 2212557

Dante Must Die M01 (02/24/08)
00323 - Vagrant - 22686
01582 - hteng - 17705
01752 - MiamiWesker - 17273

Dante Must Die M20 (02/24/08)
00035 - hteng - 288325
00598 - Vagrant - 121337
00688 - MiamiWesker - 98555

Dante Must Die - Honorable Mentions:
00004 - Vagrant - M13 - 293995 (02/24/08)

Blood Palace Ranking (02/24/08):
00092 - hteng - 4279892
00131 - EekTheKat - 4094648
00398 - Vagrant - 3238068
01019 - MiamiWesker - 806676
01062 - Lince - 793298
04030 - Defuser - 218455
04330 - Danne-Danger - 191874
06360 - ~Devil Trigger~ - 152299
07968 - KGKK - 123356
10972 - NameGenerated - 115891
12493 - sagat2036 - 114181
13168 - Dibbz - 113416
13446 - CrushDance - 113096

Just for the record, I have a BP score of 116840, yet I'm not ranked in world scores, yet I am in U.S.A??? :(

Bloody Palace - Countries: Top 3 (02/24/08):
00260 - Canada - KGKK - 123356
00459 - Canada - CrushDance - 113096
00065 - Ireland - Ninja Kn1ght - 87653
08998 - Japan - Kyoufu - 94668
00001 - Singapore - hteng - 4279892
00019 - Singapore - Defuser - 218455
00013 - Spain - Lince - 793298
00023 - Sweden - Danne-Danger - 191874
00564 - U.K. - Dibbz - 113416
00731 - U.K. - Yasser - 110226
00017 - U.S.A. - EekTheKat - 4094648
00048 - U.S.A. - Vagrant - 3238068
00132 - U.S.A. - MiamiWesker - 806676
00043 - Poland - GrayFoxPL - 84480

There isn't enough space for me to constantly add new people who add their name to the PSN leaderboard list. If you feel that your rank should be seen by all in any of these categories (most notably, people that have been added to the PSN list most recently), please send a PM my way. I'll delete someone who clearly isn't planning on trying to play competitively, and we can exchange friend requests. It is preferred, however, if you also send a picture of your leaderboard score.

If you have any inquiries, please send a PM to me.

Keep at it guys, and don't slack so much on your Human score!

Jackpot!

February 13, 2008
February 14, 2008

SoS.gif

slade

Has anybody tried using Roundtrip against the Blitz? Does it do any damage to the electricity shield. Has anybody tried using Drive against the Blitz? I'm kinda curious about whether these projectile moves that utilize Dante's Sword instead of guns. To me, it seems like the windup time for both moves would be the biggest obstacle. I'm gonna try this next time I play the game but has anybody here tried either move yet and did it connect and if so did it do any significant damage?

How the hell am I on the list? :p Maybe I should play more. I didn't really get into the game at all, after seeing the trailers with the awesome music/animations I was very excited. I played DMC3 in anticipation and maxed out that game, DMC4 came and I wasn't really hyped while playing.

I don't think I'll play more for fun. But rather to see how good I can get! But for now I'm taking a break from DMC, I played DMC3 from Januray-DMC4 launch :p

llTll

Banned
ok i need some help.

playnig with dante. i am in the
Lost jungle /forest whatever it is
and i am friggin lost. can someone help me which direction i should go?

its pissing me off -_-

Narag

llTll said:
ok i need some help.

playnig with dante. i am in the
Lost jungle /forest whatever it is
and i am friggin lost. can someone help me which direction i should go?

its pissing me off -_-

Under the bridge, through the door into the church, follow the path like you did before by paying attention to where the shadows fall. Note you'll have to go back the way you came on the 2nd crossroads.

llTll

Banned
Narag said:
Under the bridge, through the door into the church, follow the path like you did before by paying attention to where the shadows fall. Note you'll have to go back the way you came on the 2nd crossroads.

i am lost. what
bridge ? . anyway i went to the church again. if i go upstairs, its no go since i cant jump high using my hand like Nero did. and from below, i couldnt find any way to go either

Narag

llTll said:
i am lost. what
bridge ? . anyway i went to the church again. if i go upstairs, its no go since i cant jump high using my hand like Nero did. and from below, i couldnt find any way to go either

Go under the stairs to the door in the back. You had to do this before in M08.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Then go through the lost woods again, and after that I think you're at the end.

Look at your shadow and go the other direction, the paths you take are different anyway.

glaurung

OK, there was some funny stuff about DMC4 (PS3 version) last I played.

First, the game boots up, starts loading and gives me some 8012107 error (could have been some other number), I press OK, it loads some more, gives the same error, I press OK, the game starts and I can load my save from the main menu.

And once I am past
Agnus
in mission 6, obtain the
Yamato
, I am lost.

Where am I supposed to go from there? I got back to the cathedral, no action there, Nero said something about
reporting back to the HQ and Credo
, but where the hell am I supposed to go.

I figured the level would be over after the boss fight, but no. Weird.

Help please.

voltron

So Id appreciate not getting flamed or something similar for this question...

I played DMC1 and just recently played and completed DMC4. In both games what I found the most enjoyable was the platforming, exploration and puzzle solving. Doing combos and fighting bosses is ok but I dont really find it that enjoyable.

What would be the game for me then, over DMC?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
voltron said:

I played DMC1 and just recently played and completed DMC4. In both games what I found the most enjoyable was the platforming, exploration and puzzle solving. Doing combos and fighting bosses is ok but I dont really find it that enjoyable.

DMC3.

Or uh... yeah. Can't think of any without boss fights.

Narag

voltron said:

God of War excels in that respect. For what it lacks in combat and bosses, it had the delicious Rings of Pandora amid other puzzles. There's all of 3 boss fights in it too.
The next to the last fight might turn you off to it if you hadn't given it a shot already though.

voltron said:

Onimusha maybe? Slower pace, more puzzles etc.?

Or... ICO? :p

glaurung

voltron said:

Ninja Gaiden (any you can get your hands on or Sigma), Shinobi/Kunoichi (Nighsthade), Onimusha series, Tai-Fu, God Hand, Dororo (Blood Will Tell).

llTll

Banned
Narag said:
Yup, boss fight shortly after the lost woods.

Papercuts said:
Then go through the lost woods again, and after that I think you're at the end.

Look at your shadow and go the other direction, the paths you take are different anyway.

i am sorry but. what does my shadow has to do with anything ? when i was playing with nero and i went to the lost woods. i just went thro it by luck.

i didnt know there is shadow trick. care to explain please?

Narag

llTll said:
i am sorry but. what does my shadow has to do with anything ? when i was playing with nero and i went to the lost woods. i just went thro it by luck.

i didnt know there is shadow trick. care to explain please?

You follow the path where the shadows from the arches are cast towards you. The puzzle dealt with following the light source.

Oneself

voltron said:

God of War would be what you search for.

Oneself

shintoki said:
how do you learn patterns when most enemies fall over by a gust of wind?:lol
Human mode...is absolutely no representation of the game

Read what I wrote before. Instead, you should say that Human mode is absolutely no representation of the combat. The rest stays the same.

glaurung

How the hell are you supposed to kill the metal-sharks or whatever that buzz around in level 6 and cannot be grabbed while in travel mode?

I spent like six minutes killing the three enemies.

glaurung said:
How the hell are you supposed to kill the metal-sharks or whatever that buzz around in level 6 and cannot be grabbed while in travel mode?

Use charged shots. If you don't have charged shots yet
GET IT!
, just shoot to slow them down, then use streak which should pull them out of the ground so you can combo them.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
voltron said:

God of War, gameplay is really lame to sum it up. Extremely easy combat too. Like Dynasty warriors easy. But the exploring, platforming, and puzzles are top notch. I still crack it out for a run through to play them.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
glaurung said:

Dante its tougher. Charge up shotgun and Stringer seem to be the best moves. For nero a charge shot takes them out, or for either...just wait till they jump out at you.

voltron

Much appreciated. i havent played any of the God Of War games yet and Im sure as shit gonna check out the PSP version. Any word on whether or not its like the other versions as far as format/structure goes?

then no more god of war talk i promise

Dahbomb

voltron said:

Prince of Persia and God of War. This is really curious that one would enjoy DMC for its puzzle/platforming since those are its worse aspects. The games I mentioned are far superior than DMC in those factors.

Mau ®

I've been playing up to Mission 3 on PS3. Things Id like to say

+ I like Nero as a character
+ Cool cut-scenes
+ The graphics are quite good, the screens released really made it look like DMC3 HD. It looks way better in motion.
+ Gameplay is still cool.
- HOLY SHIT at install time! Oblivion required 4GB on PS3 and it certainly didnt take that long.
- I feel like the gameplay is slower than before. I suppose it'll get better as I upgrade my moves.
- Mission structure has to go.

Im liking it.

Darkpen

Banned
voltron said:

HAVE you played Tomb Raider Anniversary? Have you? Because you really should.

cbodom

i just got dante and i dont really care to play as him.. am i missing something?
i realyl miss neros grab hand.. and they never really walked us thru how to use dante

so someone teach me how to play as dante so its badass like everyone says... :)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
just s-ranked son of sparda and got the skill collection achievements -- both conveniently happened at almost the same time. 40+ hours on the clock. i think i'll play something else before i get into dmd. goty 2008.

Aurora

tha_con said:
Berial owns my ass in Bloody Palace. Damn. I need some serious practice.
Berial is just insanely difficult for me. I can get to him with full health and DT, having cleared most floors without taking any damage, but I get raped hard everytime I reach him. I've tried and failed maybe 6 times already, aaargh!

Aurora

Double post but I finally killed the bastard. I died on Stage 26 against a Blitz + those fire hounds :( in a situation like that is it better to kill the Blitz first or leave it till last?

I've played stages 1-20 so many times I get a no damage bonus on each and practically SSS rank them all too. Thank God I've finally got Berial down, I can start aiming higher.

I have a few questions for people who have beaten the game and understand how to play Nero well.

Did the Buster move feel like a glorified quicktime event whenever you used it on a stunned boss or harder enemy?

Did the Yamato feel UNBELIEVABLY underutilized when playing Nero?

Finally, did you feel underwhelmed that Nero was the main character in the game yet
had the fewest weapons
?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Livin_Lovin said:
Did the Buster move feel like a glorified quicktime event whenever you used it on a stunned boss or harder enemy?
Sometimes, yes. Mostly, no.

Livin_Lovin said:
Did the Yamato feel UNBELIEVABLY underutilized when playing Nero?
No.

Livin_Lovin said:
Finally, did you feel underwhelmed that Nero was the main character in the game yet
had the fewest weapons
?
Absolutely not. I will get killed by this, but I want Nero 100% in DMC5.

Top Bottom