• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Lince

Banned
Seiken said:
I will get killed by this, but I want Nero 100% in DMC5.

qft, I won't buy DMC5 without him, give me few weapons and lots of different things to do with them and I'll have fun trying them all, give me lots of weapons with lots of different moves and I'll be pissed because I pressed the wrong button on the d-pad changing styles or R2 two times when it should have been one, I really admire those of you who can play DMC4 Dante using 100% of his potential in every situation.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Aurora said:
Double post but I finally killed the bastard. I died on Stage 26 against a Blitz + those fire hounds :( in a situation like that is it better to kill the Blitz first or leave it till last?

I've played stages 1-20 so many times I get a no damage bonus on each and practically SSS rank them all too. Thank God I've finally got Berial down, I can start aiming higher.

For the most part Blitz should always be handled last. I died on floor 37 last night and capcom must think they're hilarious because there's nearly a Blitz per floor once they first start coming. :p

BojTrek

Banned
I just finished Human Mode on the X-Box 360... I bought the game on Day 1 and it took me this long to finish.

Is Devil Mode basically the exact same game just harder monsters?

If so, I think I am satisfied beating the game in Human Mode and might retire the game.

Am I just going for achievement points if I play again?

BojTrek said:
I just finished Human Mode on the X-Box 360... I bought the game on Day 1 and it took me this long to finish.

If so, I think I am satisfied beating the game in Human Mode and might retire the game.

On human mode (I played through first on human to get the story), the game is basically just a beat em up game. On the other difficulties it takes some strategy to figure out the enemies, especially the bosses.

I would recommend you at least try Devil Hunter for a few levels. It will go quicker since you already know the puzzles and should be fun.

Dave1988

Today just isn't my day.

1. I died on the 101st floor of BP
2. Got my ass handed to me by Credo on DMD

NERDRAAAAAAAAAAAAGEEEEEEEEEE!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Devil Hunter is harder, but still not very hard. I'd recommend going through again though, stats are kept so after one play you probably have a ton of moves to get, I'm on DMD and still missing one for each.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I love the addition of Leaderboards.:lol I'm so going to be beating my time with DMC3 in this one. I just got down playing Mission 19 to find out I ranked at 25. It was like...**** Yea!!!:lol

Sweet, my first S,S,S = S mission, SoS Mission 12 and wooot, 132nd on the leaderboard, never thought I'd get that high :D
I managed to pull off the energy ball rebound on the angels again, taste your own medicine angels haha. Also I hate Mephistos with Dante, after 11 levels of Nero I've forgotten how to fight them properly with Dante, especially hate that new attack they gain on SoS, the spinning blade

IMG_0220.jpg
IMG_0219.jpg

Thrakier

Darkflight said:
All your orbs/skills/items should transfer between difficulties

So I can level on human to get more health items for the final boss on normal difficulty, yes? I have to do human anyway to get the achievements I think...

Aurora

BojTrek said:

I played Human first and I wasn't that impressed. I then beat it on Devil Hunter and it was a brilliant experience. So much more satisfying now that I could pull off SSS combos often.

Definitely give it a shot. I'd be surprised if you didn't enjoy it more this time round.

so i got the game for 360 today (meaning i now have both versions of the game). and so far i haven't seen a single screen tear nor has there been any slowdown. tho i imagine it will be there in full force once i hit the forest level (lol @ peeps saying the slowdown in the forest is "minimal"), just as it is in the ps3 ver.

one difference between the two for certain is the rumble. on 360 there is no rumble when you fire blue rose and no rumble for revving. hella lame if you ask me.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
WickedLaharl said:
so i got the game for 360 today (meaning i now have both versions of the game). and so far i haven't seen a single screen tear nor has there been any slowdown. tho i imagine it will be there in full force once i hit the forest level (lol @ peeps saying the slowdown in the forest is "minimal"), just as it is in the ps3 ver.

one difference between the two for certain is the rumble. on 360 there is no rumble when you fire blue rose and no rumble for revving. hella lame if you ask me.

Not as bad as what I did. Bought two PS3 copies... 1 JPN version and 1 US collectors D: The collector's edition wasn't really worth it though.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Spirit of Jazz said:
I hate Royal Guard, god damn you final orb fragment! I have an easier time max revving...

i suck at royal guard too. my strategy for that mission was to kill one mephisto, and then just dodge every attack from the remaining mephisto except that one where it spins and then swipes -- its timing is much easier than the others

yella

drohne said:
i suck at royal guard too. my strategy for that mission was to kill one mephisto, and then just dodge every attack from the remaining mephisto except that one where it spins and then swipes -- its timing is much easier than the others

I actually ended up doing that as well... the second time I did the mission. The first time I was able to Royal Guard both of them fairly easily and get the orb to drop... only to decide that I should try to kill them before I went for the orb... and exited the mission!:lol

keanerie

prodystopian said:
Anyone else disappointed that you can't SS missions anymore? I feel so let down when all three categories are S and my Ranking is just an S.

Just popping in this thread for the first time, have yet to play the game despite being a hardcore DMC3 fan...and this is surprising. No category for Life? Does that mean you can take a hit and still S Rank a Mission?

Narag

prodystopian said:
Anyone else disappointed that you can't SS missions anymore? I feel so let down when all three categories are S and my Ranking is just an S.

Yes :(

keanerie said:
Just popping in this thread for the first time, have yet to play the game despite being a hardcore DMC3 fan...and this is surprising. No category for Life? Does that mean you can take a hit and still S Rank a Mission?

Yup. I think it was a decision to make it more score attack oriented given the leaderboards as the ranks go by point totals in the end. That said, No Damage gives you a 50% bonus to your final score so its still a big factor.

Yeah, they seem to have cut down on the amount of frames to perform a Royal Block when compared to DMC3.

In fact, in many ways they toned Dante in DMC4 down, as if the developers felt he was too overpowered and exploitable in DMC3. (million stab and it's gimped dmc4 range I'm looking at you >_<)

Dahbomb

C- Warrior said:
Yeah, they seem to have cut down on the amount of frames to perform a Royal Block when compared to DMC3.

In fact, in many ways they toned Dante in DMC4 down, as if the developers felt he was too overpowered and exploitable in DMC3. (million stab and it's gimped dmc4 range I'm looking at you >_<)
The toning down of Dante makes sense because of him having all 4 of his styles at once. In DMC3 you only had one. But he's still fun as hell and indepth to play, in fact this more balanced Dante encourages top-tier play.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I received my DMC CE through the mail today and am currently learning Sanskrit as I type this.

One thing that pissed me off though was the fact that it came with two separate DVDs. Couldn't they have just used that extra space on the BD for it? Or would that have increased the installation size to 10GB?

Anyways, I look forwards to playing it eventually.

Narag

industrian said:
I received my DMC CE through the mail today and am currently learning Sanskrit as I type this.

One thing that pissed me off though was the fact that it came with two separate DVDs. Couldn't they have just used that extra space on the BD for it? Or would that have increased the installation size to 10GB?

Anyways, I look forwards to playing it eventually.

Its meant to play in an DVD player so making it Blu-Ray only would limit the potential audience and result in having to two different print runs across both platform's CEs assuming they're the same DVD.

On a side note, I'm finishing up S ranks in DMD and just had the best battle with Echidna ever. I got nailed just as I DT'd and had literally no health in the bar. I was luckily able to recover :p

Sidzed2

Hey all,

Doing my DMD run slowly, perhaps a mission or so every night after work, and I need HELP from the Pros!

I have found every boss (except for Berial) to be a Royal Pain in the Arse.

Bael took me an hour, Echidna took an hour and a half, Agnus took a while and Dante took me half an hour but only because I got lucky and his A.I. seemed to break.

Basically, I do not have enough orbs to use items frivolously, and I am extremely apprehensive about going forward. I just know that the Savior and the Mission 19 Boss Gauntlet are going to be hell.

So, give me your best boss strategies for DMD as Nero, please! Which attacks do more damage to a boss? A rev-ed Streak, or a rev-ed 3 hit combo? Or a split? Please help! Which items are best? Do holy waters actually do anything?

I'm terrified over here (yeah, yeah I'm a wussy).

Dave1988

Sidzed2, you might want to check this thread out.

It's got Boss strategies for both Dante and Nero + Youtube vids showcasing how to defeat the bosses.

I stopped playing DMC4 for about a week or two and went back to Son of Sparda and was getting owned. So I started on Human to get myself back into it. I beat it on Devil Hunter, but since you don't get the achievements for Easy at least I have a reason to play through again besides warming back up to play Son of Sparda.

Sidzed2 said:
Hey all,

Doing my DMD run slowly, perhaps a mission or so every night after work, and I need HELP from the Pros!

I have found every boss (except for Berial) to be a Royal Pain in the Arse.

Bael took me an hour, Echidna took an hour and a half, Agnus took a while and Dante took me half an hour but only because I got lucky and his A.I. seemed to break.

Basically, I do not have enough orbs to use items frivolously, and I am extremely apprehensive about going forward. I just know that the Savior and the Mission 19 Boss Gauntlet are going to be hell.

So, give me your best boss strategies for DMD as Nero, please! Which attacks do more damage to a boss? A rev-ed Streak, or a rev-ed 3 hit combo? Or a split? Please help! Which items are best? Do holy waters actually do anything?

I'm terrified over here (yeah, yeah I'm a wussy).

You should go back and try S ranking all the missions on the previous difficulties. It'll give you great practice both in confidence, upgrade your stats, get more items, and learn more strategies as well as be more efficient. After you've done so, (whether for achievement purposes or whatever) DMD will be a welcome change of pace.

ravien56

so im super late to the party here and i dont really wanna read 160 pages, but can any1 explain wtf happened in the secret ending? who called?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Finally got my shipment from Capcom today. PS3 CE with art book and bonus discs. Put about 2 hours into the game, after the initial install. The series recap up to that point was appreciated. Fun game. But now I'm going to put it aside to continue with Lost Odyssey. Also, I think I'm going to bust out the 5th Anniversary Collection and start a 1-3 run through before returning to 4.

I haven't played any of the demos, but I was surprised at how good the game felt with the Sixaxis... considering I've never been a fan of this controller, or even the DualShocks.

Narag

mh56 said:
so im super late to the party here and i dont really wanna read 160 pages, but can any1 explain wtf happened in the secret ending? who called?

Just a client. Its just a cute "See You Next Time!" bit of fanservice as there's always work for Dante.

one thing has been bothering me about the story. why does trish
give the sword of sparta to the order of the sword
?

was to just to gain their trust? i'm assuming it was, and damn was that a retarded plot device or what?

Narag

WickedLaharl said:
one thing has been bothering me about the story. why does trish
give the sword of sparta to the order of the sword
?

was to just to gain their trust? i'm assuming it was, and damn was that a retarded plot device or what?

I think it was half to gain their trust, half to get Dante off his ass since he was pretty indifferent about it all.

WTF at those chick shots? What the hell are those for? The bottom logo says for some "Gents Magazine." Did someone really approach Capcom for a chick version of Nero to put in a magazine?

burgerdog

I can't S rank Mission 18 in SoS mode. I could nail the time easily, orbs is a free S, but style is screwing me over. I even combo the angelos that spawn throughout the area. Any tips?

Narag

burgerdog said:
I can't S rank Mission 18 in SoS mode. I could nail the time easily, orbs is a free S, but style is screwing me over. I even combo the angelos that spawn throughout the area. Any tips?

Jump down to the first area, attack the hand that's flat against the platform directly. This'll knock the statue back without use of the cannons. Just traverse the area killing Angelos. I recommend knocking out all but one gem so you can just milk the clock, especially against the sword angelo by the left leg.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
burgerdog said:
you know the lazers, to stun the big dude...they kill angels do. Bounce back between a platform with a lazer and spawning angels and the one that leads to it. IT gives you allot of style points killing em with it. Just rise and repeat like 5 or 6 times, you will have SSS rank style and something like 3500-4000points already in 2minutes.

Top Bottom