• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Chamber

love on your sleeve
WickedLaharl said:
one thing has been bothering me about the story. why does trish
give the sword of sparta to the order of the sword
?

was to just to gain their trust? i'm assuming it was, and damn was that a retarded plot device or what?
I could be wrong here but I figured it was just another example of Trish and Dante treating the whole situation like a joke. Dante's bio mentions the possibility that he's more powerful than Sparda was so I guess they figured getting the sword back would be an easy task.

Narag

shintoki said:
you know the lazers, to stun the big dude...they kill angels do. Bounce back between a platform with a lazer and spawning angels and the one that leads to it. IT gives you allot of style points killing em with it. Just rise and repeat like 5 or 6 times, you will have SSS rank style and something like 3500-4000points already in 2minutes.

I got them to keep respawning once and had like 8k style points from just that. I could never recreate it though. :(

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Narag said:
I got them to keep respawning once and had like 8k style points from just that. I could never recreate it though. :(
Jump off the platform, and return to it in about 15seconds. Works for me all the time.
There are two platforms for this.
One had you jump back to a breakable wall...but its right near it.
The other jumps back to a staircase going down.

My problem with the level is time

MechaX

Papercuts said:
I'm really not looking forward to the Dante jungle levels on DMD, fucking chimeras. :lol

Pretty much all you can do is abuse the charged shotgun. I still held onto my A or S rank (You'll get all the Stylish points you need by fighting Echidna effectively) by doing this for the next two levels whenever a Chimera showed up.

It takes awhile, and Dante is still not immune to off-screen attacks, but it's pretty much the safest way to take care of them.

Narag

MechaX said:
Pretty much all you can do is abuse the charged shotgun. I still held onto my A or S rank (You'll get all the Stylish points you need by fighting Echidna effectively) by doing this for the next two levels whenever a Chimera showed up.

It takes awhile, and Dante is still not immune to off-screen attacks, but it's pretty much the safest way to take care of them.

Yamato!

Hell or Hell Dante sucks too :(

:( @ Devil May Cry 2.

I just fought the retarded building boss and had to shut the game off, this is NOT a Devil May Cry! Oh well, I'm still forcing myself to play through the entire Anniversary Collection, this way it'll be nicer to play Devil May Cry 3 and replay Devil May Cry 4. I guess. :(

Livin_Lovin said:
WTF at those chick shots? What the hell are those for? The bottom logo says for some "Gents Magazine." Did someone really approach Capcom for a chick version of Nero to put in a magazine?
Yup. Whored out nero for advertising :(

I am so bad as Dante. I don't think I've even gotten to level 10 of bloody palace with him. It's humiliating. I think he just has too many options and I'm overwhelmed.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Narag said:
Its meant to play in an DVD player so making it Blu-Ray only would limit the potential audience and result in having to two different print runs across both platform's CEs assuming they're the same DVD.

You do realise it's the PS3 version I have, don't you? You know, the one that has the disk capable of storing both bonus DVDs as well as the game itself.

Petrie

Banned
Well, I'm a bit late to this one, but apparently I have this game coming to me in the mail later in the week (entered a contest over at 'stiq, and surprisingly won). I rented this but never had time to get through the first mission even, but I'm excited to be able to take my time now.

Anything I should know before I dive in?

industrian said:
You do realise it's the PS3 version I have, don't you? You know, the one that has the disk capable of storing both bonus DVDs as well as the game itself.
The bonusdisc is (for whatever reason) not included in the european version. It was probably easier to separate the bonus content from the Blu Ray gamedisc and just not include the bonusdisc here, instead of running two different Blu Ray productions (w & w/o bonus).

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
slaughterking said:
The bonusdisc is (for whatever reason) not included in the european version. It was probably easier to separate the bonus content from the Blu Ray gamedisc and just not include the bonusdisc here, instead of running two different Blu Ray productions (w & w/o bonus).

There are two bonus disks (one with the DMC anime stuff and another marked "bonus"). The latter fits directly into the metal case ontop of the manual, but the former is wedged between the metal case and outer cover. I wouldn't care if the bonus DVD (the one that fits perfectly) was seperate, as it has some PC stuff iirc, but the anime stuff could easily have been included on the BD.

I'll just put it down to Capcom being the enemies of convenience. And I guess i'll just have to get used to the collector's edition having that unsightly bulge. :p

Danielsan

Petrie said:
Well, I'm a bit late to this one, but apparently I have this game coming to me in the mail later in the week (entered a contest over at 'stiq, and surprisingly won). I rented this but never had time to get through the first mission even, but I'm excited to be able to take my time now.

Anything I should know before I dive in?
Immediately map the gun button to LB/L1. Start the game on Devil Hunter. Even a 4 year old could beat it on Human.

Petrie

Banned
Danielsan said:
Immediately map the gun button to LB/L1. Start the game on Devil Hunter. Even a 4 year old could beat it on Human.

Buttons are remappable huh? That makes me happy. With regard to difficulty, I played a bit of the first and third, but never got too far, as I got distracted by other games. Should I still start on that difficulty?

Danielsan

Petrie said:
Buttons are remappable huh? That makes me happy. With regard to difficulty, I played a bit of the first and third, but never got too far, as I got distracted by other games. Should I still start on that difficulty?
Yes. Devil Hunter is easier than normal in both Devil May Cry 1 & 3.

Danielsan

slaughterking said:
But you probably want to play Human anyway just for the sake of completeness. I would recommend doing it in your first playthrough. :I
And I wouldn't. The first playthrough on Human would be a total snoozefest. You're better off plowing (speedrunning) through it after having beaten Devil Hunter.

Yasser

Danielsan said:
And I wouldn't. The first playthrough on Human would be a total snoozefest. You're better off plowing (speedrunning) through it after having beaten Devil Hunter.
agreed, it's would be sad to soil the 1st playthrough experience by going through on human. that said, if you're genuinely struggling on devil hunter then do my all means play on human and work your way up.

Narag

Danielsan said:

Listen to this man.

Narag

industrian said:
I'll just put it down to Capcom being the enemies of convenience. And I guess i'll just have to get used to the collector's edition having that unsightly bulge. :p

Are the CE packages the same 2 disc metal cases throughout the world? If that's the case, it may have been a cost issue coupled with an anime distribution rights issue.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Narag said:
Are the CE packages the same 2 disc metal cases throughout the world? If that's the case, it may have been a cost issue coupled with an anime distribution rights issue.

Sadly no, all we got in Europe was the shiny case and a crappy artbook.

Edit: oh wait, you're just talking about the case. That one appears to be the same for all regions, I think.

Darkpen

Banned
CrushDance said:
source

2ryijcj.jpg
D:

*right-click save*

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
MechaX said:

Beat the jungle missions now, only managed a B in style because of them. :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Let's discuss more guys! ARE YOU CASUALS ALREADY DONE WITH THE GAME?! Pathetic.

Danielsan

Seiken said:
Let's discuss more guys! ARE YOU CASUALS ALREADY DONE WITH THE GAME?! Pathetic.
Well I'm getting less excited playing it that's for sure. Having run through most mission around 3-5 times, I need something new (waiting for Lost Odyssey) and after that I'll get back at completing it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Victrix said:
I comboed this demon, and got a SSS
Weak!
Lostconfused said:
Once you sell your soul to blizzard, you dont have time for most other things.
Weaker!

This thread is WEAK, I'm bailing :mad: Where's my Kittonwy angry smiley when ya need it :mad:

Papercuts

I thought I just bought Dante's last move but I forgot the final charge shot for the shotgun, 105K wtf.

Only 5 more DMD missions then I'll move on to Bloody Palace and maybe Hell and Hell but I will probably fail that hard.

BeeDog

Damn, bought this game at launch here in Sweden, but am still only at mission 18. I thought Dante would be much more interesting to play as than he is, and my gut feeling says this game was mostly designed around Nero's devil arm ability. Either that or it's because I have lost all my Dante skills from DMC3.

Victrix

*beard*
There's not a lot to talk about. Basically you can share cool videos, which is a pain in the ass, or you can discuss the intricacies of potential combos, which isn't interesting to the people who are just going to beat the game once and move on.

Well, and give advice for fights/enemies, but that's already been gone over here.

And as for me, I'm doing my game talk on another forum, as is usually the case :p

Yoshichan

Papercuts said:
I thought I just bought Dante's last move but I forgot the final charge shot for the shotgun, 105K wtf.
Take back your proud souls >_>?

Papercuts said:
Only 5 more DMD missions then I'll move on to Bloody Palace and maybe Hell and Hell but I will probably fail that hard.
Trust me on this one. DMD is harder than Hell and Hell, especially if you're an item whore like me. I'd punch my face hard, rather than using an item. In Hell and Hell, you're given 3 free yellow orbs each mission.

MechaX

Just beat DMD Mode, and I have to say... I'm actually a little disappointed.

Yeah, DMC4's DMD is much more playable than DMC3's DMD by a pretty far margin (Although, I question Capcom's logic in holding onto enemies that continue to phase through walls and level boundaries), but I had some hope of DMC4 surpassing the Xbox-game-that-shall-not-be-named-Black in regards to the perfect balance between all out difficulty and challenge and actual fun to be had. Things were pretty fun in DMC4 DMD, but the enemies died just as quick as they did on SoS Mode.

After DMD mode, there is only one big epiphany that I came to: In DMC5, something needs to be done about the extremely sketchy jump and roll. And fast.

Hell and Hell just looks more time consuming than anything really challenging. That, and Frosts = teh suck.

jaundicejuice said:
:( @ Devil May Cry 2.

I just fought the retarded building boss and had to shut the game off, this is NOT a Devil May Cry! Oh well, I'm still forcing myself to play through the entire Anniversary Collection, this way it'll be nicer to play Devil May Cry 3 and replay Devil May Cry 4. I guess. :(

When playing DMC2, I didn't really think of it as a "Devil May Cry" game but rather "A game staring some red-headed girl with a big ass and a horrendously fake accent that Dante has a cameo in". Also, DMC2's bosses get... relatively decent later on (No more zombie helicopters & buildings). And surprisingly, the final boss is a legitimately fun and good boss battle.

Papercuts said:
Beat the jungle missions now, only managed a B in style because of them. :(

Look on the bright side: You'll never have to do those horribly, horribly designed levels (and enemies) ever again. Stupid trap monsters...

Yoshichan

BeeDog said:
Damn, bought this game at launch here in Sweden....
Dante's just slightly less awesome than in DMC3, he's still the man!

Stupid trap monsters...
Free health, dude.

Papercuts

BeeDog said:
Damn, bought this game at launch here in Sweden, but am still only at mission 18. I thought Dante would be much more interesting to play as than he is, and my gut feeling says this game was mostly designed around Nero's devil arm ability. Either that or it's because I have lost all my Dante skills from DMC3.

It takes longer to get used to Dante now, but I still love him. There's a lot of tricks he can use that makes certain enemies easier than with Nero. So far a Mephisto, a Faust, or a Blitz are easier for me with Dante.

Seiken said:
Take back your proud souls >_>?

Trust me on this one. DMD is harder than Hell and Hell, especially if you're an item whore like me. I'd punch my face hard, rather than using an item. In Hell and Hell, you're given 3 free yellow orbs each mission.

Yeah, I never use items, even if I get really tempted. Credo on DMD had a sliver left and threw a spear, I got ahead of myself and bustered too early and was killed. The gold orb is tempting but the penalty isn't. :p

Do the enemies still DT on HaH?

MechaX said:
Look on the bright side: You'll never have to do those horribly, horribly designed levels (and enemies) ever again. Stupid trap monsters...

I was actually planning on S ranking as much as I could, so I'll eventually return to it, since I only managed an A overall.

Lince

Banned
finally beat SoS mode and surprisingly I made it into the top 100 (PS3) but I think I will be playing Warhawk and F1 for a while before engaging DMD mode.

Yoshichan

Lostconfused said:
Lets see who is still playing the same game 5 months later?
I didn't know Blizzards shitty games couldn't wait?

Oh fuck that, Blizzards' had my soul for ages and ages...

Papercuts said:
Do the enemies still DT on HaH?
They don't. H&H = SoS enemies.

Seiken said:
Oh fuck that, Blizzards' had my soul for ages and ages...

Ok just as long as wear clear on that. And i play a bit of blood palace in the morning and evening so i don't completely loose any skills i might have had.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Lince said:
finally beat SoS mode and surprisingly I made it into the top 100 (PS3) but I think I will be playing Warhawk and F1 for a while before engaging DMD mode.

Oh hey, I accepted your friend invite.

Lince said:

Ha, I came in here to mention that Warhawk has taken me back so DMC4 SoS and DMD are going to have to wait a while lol.

Yoshichan

Lostconfused said:
Ok just as long as wear clear on that. And i play a bit of blood palace in the morning and evening so i don't completely loose any skills i might have had.
I'm not a proud WoW/Diablo-player though. I hate mentioning I play the game too much. Unlike DMC4 :)

Seiken said:
I'm not a proud WoW/Diablo-player though. I hate mentioning I play the game too much. Unlike DMC4 :)
Its not entertaining to brag about wow because everyone else plays wow, its like saying you watch lost.

Yoshichan

Lostconfused said:
Its not entertaining to brag about wow because everyone else plays wow, its like saying you watch lost.
Exactly :lol

Lince

Banned
Kagari said:
Oh hey, I accepted your friend invite.

hey :p

and btw when playing Dante without Nero's devil arm I just feel like a preteen girl in underwear standing in the middle of a crowded street, do you like your badass arm? you really like it huh? well let's cut it off and make you play the game backwards now, damn Capcom.

Yoshichan

Papercuts said:
In that case, not as bad as I thought. I'll probably have issues with Dante 1 and 2 though. :lol
Can't believe I'm fucking saying this loud but... in DMD and H&H, I did the Buster-glitch on Dante :( I'm fucking pathetic, I know... but hey, I already lost a tooth because of this game. I didn't wanna lose another one.

Papercuts

I had to do it on DMD too, I died about 5 times and just couldn't do it. Makes me sad. :p

Dante 1 wasn't bad at all though.

Top Bottom