• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Danielsan

Narag said:
Its weird how the stuff DTs in this game compared to the third iirc. The stronger it is, the longer it takes instead of the last of the group alive triggering.
I thought in DMC3 all enemies DT'd after a certain timelimit aswell but as far as I remember the timelimit was much much shorter. Fighting DT'd enigmas still gives me nightmares.

Dante s not really that hard, I managed to beat him(And beat him badly) without needing to jump ontop of the bed. Basically all I did was the following:

1) Shoot

2) When close enough I'd Forward+Triangle. Whenever you do this he'll roll out of the way and try to stinger you from behind, you have to be fast and jump away.

3) The stinger causes him to slowdown and lets you hit him, but it'll only work if forward+triangle again and hit him. Press up+Triangle to launch him and then hit him a couple times and then use your DT+O and you'll hit him 3 times. Run away when done.

Rinse and repeat. If he grabs you, simply use your Devil Trigger to break out.

Another very easy way on harder modes is to just get up close to him and try to buster. All i did was shoot him and get him near a wall, use your devil bringer and you'll initiate a quick time mode where the two spar. Jam the "O" button and nero will beat him(It's not hard, but can get your thumb sore if you beat him using only this method). Initiate a quick combo of about 3 hits or so and press "O" again.

Keep doing this and he'll be beaten easily. The reason I recommend against or near a wall is because Dante will roll backwards after you hit him with your combo and try to attack you. Just press "O" right away when he tries to roll back and he can't get anywhere.

Narag

Danielsan said:
I thought in DMC3 all enemies DT'd after a certain timelimit aswell but as far as I remember the timelimit was much much shorter. Fighting DT'd enigmas still gives me nightmares.

I think it was both actually, I might go doublecheck today.

Were those the archer type enemies? I wondered more than once if DMC4 was easier simply by virtue of a lack of a strong dedicated projectile enemy.

Danielsan

Narag said:
I think it was both actually, I might go doublecheck today.

Were those the archer type enemies? I wondered more than once if DMC4 was easier simply by virtue of a lack of a strong dedicated projectile enemy.
Yeah those were the archers enemies, they also had the great tendency to skate away when you tried to attack them which made them even more anoying.

edit: just watched a video of someone going through DMD in DMC3 and I think you're right. It's probably both.

burgerdog

I think I'm done for a while. I got all but 4 achievements and a lot more out of the game than I ever expected. Excellent AAA game, for me it doesn't get much better than this. Yesterday I was on my way to S all SOS missions and I didn't have it in me anymore :( It's something to do later, I probably played this way too much anyway.

Narag

Toonami 99 said:
did you use the super characters in BP and Hell and Hell?

Used it in Heaven or Hell for the achievment, two birds and one stone and all of that.

Regular characters in Hell and Hell. One of the achievements is for S ranking Bloody Palace which you can't do with a super character. Its an interesting way of keeping claims honest.

Dave1988

Little tidbit about the game's writing:

http://boards.ign.com/devil_may_cry/b5258/159478052/p3
Hihihellobye said:
Capcom cares about the US market as a high class prostitute cares about her customer: nothing beyond the money, and "no kisses on the mouth", those are for the Japan market. I clashed heads many times because, IMO, they were overdoing the Japanese-oriented cliches. Even the dialogs, that are in English, are transliterations of Japanese in-jokes, thus making it sounds incredibly cheesy when heard by native English speakers... Like when Nero defeats Echidna and says "Didn`t your mom teach you not to litter", it`s actually a reference to a very common "insult" between jp boys. It makes no sense in English, but in the context of Japan it is actually funny. The lesbian "wtf?" is also a very common jp phrase that is considered very manly, and the hero that is "above" being tempted or promiscuous is seen as a "strong man". Dante is actually the joker.
Fact remains, however, that the west likes what the Japanese national market wants, so it was about collecting the local info and then "make-believe" care for the rest of the world.

FFChris

So difficult to come to a conclusion about this game...

I haven't played a DMC since the first one, which I really enjoyed. This one seems like it should be excellent, but something is wrong.

The graphics are gorgeous, some of the best on the 360. Load times are fantastic (no idea where some people got the 10 second rubbish from, the load times are literally under a second, or non existant), bosses are great and combat is really cool..

BUT. Something is wrong with the balance of the game. I'm currently on the 8th mission, and I don't feel my gun has any use at all, I have no new weapons to speak of and my DT is useless. Plus, the enemies present little challenge, and I'm never going to be able to buy cooler moves when I'm only getting 800ish proud souls a mission. I don't know what to think. The revving idea is cool, but unless there is a way to do it in combat (with that MAX-Rev skill maybe?) then it's no use to me.

I really want to get to Dante, to see if the gameplay changes a bit, though the backtracking really doesn't make me happy.

Maybe I just want the game to be more challenging.. I don't know.

Edit: Oh, and the story is terrible. But who plays DMC for story anyway!

Narag

FFChris said:

I haven't played a DMC since the first one, which I really enjoyed. This one seems like it should be excellent, but something is wrong.

The graphics are gorgeous, some of the best on the 360. Load times are fantastic (no idea where some people got the 10 second rubbish from, the load times are literally under a second, or non existant), bosses are great and combat is really cool..

BUT. Something is wrong with the balance of the game. I'm currently on the 8th mission, and I don't feel my gun has any use at all, I have no new weapons to speak of and my DT is useless. Plus, the enemies present little challenge, and I'm never going to be able to buy cooler moves when I'm only getting 800ish proud souls a mission. I don't know what to think. The revving idea is cool, but unless there is a way to do it in combat (with that MAX-Rev skill maybe?) then it's no use to me.

I really want to get to Dante, to see if the gameplay changes a bit, though the backtracking really doesn't make me happy.

The gun blows without judiciuos purchase and use of the charged shots. You can rev during any swing in a small window. I think its when the sword flash is gold, Max-Rev just fills all the lamps in an even smaller window of the above. Your proud souls are roughly 3% of your final score count so the better/more stylish you are, the more you'll get. As a consequence of enemies having more life in tougher levels, you'll walk away with higher scores and more proud souls as a result.

You'll start out with a well upgraded Dante too as he'll have the same amount of proud souls to spend as Nero did. This also means you'll be able to bump up Nero again after the Dante segment as you'll have more souls to spend.

Dave1988

FFChris said:

1. Get Level 3 Charged Shot. It's one of Nero's most powerful (and broken) moves.
2. DT's Maximum Bet is a very good move for bosses / Scarecrow massacres.
3. What difficulty setting are you playing at?
4. There is a way to rev instantenously. You just have to hit the Rev button during a specific moment of a move. The ability to do so has to be purchased IIRC.

FFChris said:

Dante might be just the thing for you. He has waaay more combat options and his part of the game is harder than Nero's.

FFChris said:

I do :(

DMC3's story was fairly good, I was expecting the same from DMC4...

FFChris said:

I think your opinion on the gun will change significantly if you purchase its level3 charge and move it to L1/Left bumper. I wish I had done that from the very beginning as it changes up your options for combo finishers and is great at keeping the enemies you're not focusing on busy too.

The rev also adds a lot to gameplay as you upgrade it too. Wouldn't be the same game without those two additions.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Saint Gregory said:
I think your opinion on the gun will change significantly if you purchase its level3 charge and move it to L1/Left bumper.
If he puts it to L1, he won't be able to Exceed.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Saint Gregory said:
L2 is Exceed, I rev it with my middle finger as I hold down L1 with my index finger. What's the problem?
You do know that many people can't exceed with the middle finger, right?

Narag said:
I'm still a fan of the gun on R1/RB if you can maintain the claw to do so. :lol

I thought about that too, but it was just too much to get used to as far as I was into the game. Switching the gun with DT just made more sense for me.

Seiken said:
You do know that many people can't exceed with the middle finger, right?

Really? Damn, I'll admit that I'm not as acurate with it as before but I still hit it most of the time. It's a great trade off as far as I'm concerned.

FFChris

Dave1988 said:
1. Get Level 3 Charged Shot. It's one of Nero's most powerful (and broken) moves.
2. DT's Maximum Bet is a very good move for bosses / Scarecrow massacres.
3. What difficulty setting are you playing at?
4. There is a way to rev instantenously. You just have to hit the Rev button during a specific moment of a move. The ability to do so has to be purchased IIRC.

Dante might be just the thing for you. He has waaay more combat options and his part of the game is harder than Nero's.

I do :(

DMC3's story was fairly good, I was expecting the same from DMC4...

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I'm currently on LV1 charged shot, will try and upgrade as soon as I can.

I'm playing on the Devil Hunter difficulty, and looking forward to getting to Dante. Good news on the Rev front though, I'll have to practice with that. Basically I'm looking for more options in my fighting, currently I'm using a select few moves to get the enemy up in the air and keep them and myself there for as long as possible.

Narag

FFChris said:
Thanks for all the help everyone.

I'm currently on LV1 charged shot, will try and upgrade as soon as I can.

I'm playing on the Devil Hunter difficulty, and looking forward to getting to Dante. Good news on the Rev front though, I'll have to practice with that. Basically I'm looking for more options in my fighting, currently I'm using a select few moves to get the enemy up in the air and keep them and myself there for as long as possible.

Get Roulette if you don't have it already. Such a delicious deadly attack you can do twice if you have air hike.

Seiken said:
Yeah, the scary part with this is that I still have my Blue Rose on square... and I'm a psycho at combining it with attacks. And yes, that means I'm actually holding square while tapping triangle, L2, R1 and Circle. My friends can't believe their eyes when they see it :/

Well no wonder you broke that tooth, its not natural! I actually tried that for a while but kept firing on accident so gave up. :(

Yoshichan

Yeah, the scary part with this is that I still have my Blue Rose on square... and I'm a psycho at combining it with attacks. And yes, that means I'm actually holding square while tapping triangle, L2, R1 and Circle. My friends can't believe their eyes when they see it :/

Seiken said:

I'm sorry but holding square while tapping triangle is a much neater trick than me reving with my middle finger :p

Yoshichan

Saint Gregory said:
I'm sorry but holding square while tapping triangle is a much neater trick than me reving with my middle finger :p
It really isn't my fault that I got used to it. I didn't know you could change the controls until 60 hours later when I actually started reading this thread (properly). It was too late :(

Narag said:
Get Roulette if you don't have it already. Such a delicious deadly attack you can do twice if you have air hike.
Oh god, why did no one tell me? Wow... I'll be trying this sweet pie for sure.

Narag said:
Well no wonder you broke that tooth, its not natural! I actually tried that for a while but kept firing on accident so gave up. :(
Really, it's no problem for me and that didn't cause the accident >_<

Yoshichan

Question: Enemies need to be on DMD and fully Devil Triggered to actually survive the x2 roulette right?

OK, what skill level equivalent is Berial on Bloody Palace floor 19? I basically walked though him like he wasn't there on SoS mission 2 and he's absolutely raping me now. I've gotten to that floor with full health and all the time I need like 5 times now and I can't get him below 50% health. I feel so weak :'(

Narag

Saint Gregory said:
OK, what skill level equivalent is Berial on Bloody Palace floor 19? I basically walked though him like he wasn't there on SoS mission 2 and he's absolutely raping me now. I've gotten to that floor with full health and all the time I need like 5 times now and I can't get him below 50% health. I feel so weak :'(

Inbetween SoS and DMD. SoS vitality with a hint of DMD aggressiveness.

Narag said:
Inbetween SoS and DMD. SoS vitality with a hint of DMD aggressiveness.

Really? His defense seems so much higher. I guess it's time to watch some DMD vids. I think I'm being so agressive myself that I'm not noticing when he's getting ready to do his big time attacks.

Dave1988

What's up with the ranking system? Some missions and the Total for DMD display how many points I got but don't display my number on the list. What's up with that?

ravien56

Hey guys, just some questions, can anyone explain to me how to use Lucifer? It throws out projectiles right...but im not really sure how to make them explode...and is there any good situations to use it? the same for Giglamesh

Dibbz

Quick question.

I want to change my button config so I can use the charged shot whilst attacking. Thing is I change the buttons and make sure that it's saved the way I want it. Then I load up my game and the damn buttons are back to the way they were before I changed them! Don't tell me I have to start a new game just so I can use the re-mapped buttons!

Why don't they let you access the options after you have loaded your game, at the mission menu?!?

ravien56

Dibbz said:
Quick question.

I want to change my button config so I can use the charged shot whilst attacking. Thing is I change the buttons and make sure that it's saved the way I want it. Then I load up my game and the damn buttons are back to the way they were before I changed them! Don't tell me I have to start a new game just so I can use the re-mapped buttons!

Why don't they let you access the options after you have loaded your game, at the mission menu?!?

this doesnt answer you, but what'd you end up changing the shoot button to?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
DMD complete! :D

Mission 20 is super easy, even on DMD he does the same stuff, just takes more of a beating. I was able to S rank it on my first try.

Now to give Bloody Palace a real try later tonight...

Dibbz said:
Quick question.

Change the controls and then beat a mission with that configuration, it should stick after that.

Yoshichan

Papercuts said:
Now to give Bloody Palace a real try later tonight..
Good luck! And don't forget to inform us how it went :p

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Died at 81, credo hit me a ton and on the next stage those spinning scarecrow bastards nailed me, I should have focused on that first. So much wasted time, but I guess it was a careless mistake. :p

I faced a lot tougher stages than that, so I wasn't as offensive I guess. I'll try again tomorrow, hopefully I not only finish it but I can S rank it. :lol

Narag

Papercuts said:
Died at 81, credo hit me a ton and on the next stage those spinning scarecrow bastards nailed me, I should have focused on that first. So much wasted time, but I guess it was a careless mistake. :p

I faced a lot tougher stages than that, so I wasn't as offensive I guess. I'll try again tomorrow, hopefully I not only finish it but I can S rank it. :lol

So long as you finish it without a super character, you should.

Ferrio

Banned
Can anyone give me any tips on how you're suppose to play as Dante. I'm getting my ass kicked soon as I was switched to him, it's night and day. Crap like those ice bastards, and those combined forest enemies are kicking my ass.

I MISS MY MAX INSTANT REVS!

Ferrio said:
Can anyone give me any tips on how you're suppose to play as Dante. I'm getting my ass kicked soon as I was switched to him, it's night and day. Crap like those ice bastards, and those combined forest enemies are kicking my ass.

O

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
So i'm pissed for the first time:lol
Playing bloody palace last night, got to 88 I think it was...3 mega-crows and one blitz. So anyways I take out 2 of the megacrows and leave a sliver of life on a 3rd. Still in pretty good health.Blitz loses his shield, take him down to berserk...starts charging and I run over to kill the last crow. Forget about the dropping blade:lol Then impaled by the blitz with no devil trigger ready when I got up...I cried:lol

Dave1988

Ferrio said:

Against Frosts Gilgamesh and DT'd Stinger work best. Against Chimera's I suggest a combo of Pandora's Box, Trickster, Gilgamesh and Rebellion.

shintoki said:
So i'm pissed for the first time:lol
Playing bloody palace last night, got to 88 I think it was...3 mega-crows and one blitz. So anyways I take out 2 of the megacrows and leave a sliver of life on a 3rd. Still in pretty good health.Blitz loses his shield, take him down to berserk...starts charging and I run over to kill the last crow. Forget about the dropping blade:lol Then impaled by the blitz with no devil trigger ready when I got up...I cried:lol

I feel your pain.

Ferrio

Banned
Dave1988 said:
Against Frosts Gilgamesh and DT'd Stinger work best. Against Chimera's I suggest a combo of Pandora's Box, Trickster, Gilgamesh and Rebellion.

Don't have Pandora or Gilgamesh yet. How the hell do you use trickster?

Ceb

The Credo fight alone has made the like the game much more. I like the combat as much as I did in the demo now that I have more skills. They really ought to give you more moves from the start for DMC5 and change the whole system of buying skills. If you can go back and farm for souls anyway there's no point to holding you back in that sense.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Ferrio said:
Don't have Pandora or Gilgamesh yet. How the hell do you use trickster?
Press O Press O:lol Meh...Coming from someone who used nothing but Tricksters in DMC3. It sucks in 4. I use it for the occasion Air Dash with a hike...normally to get at bosses. But outside of that I haven't found a good reason to use it.

Anyways. Forgot if I mentioned my progress or not
Working on Human mode now...All S ranks of course is the goal. First 14 done so far
SoS and DH mode completeed with all S ranks
DMD, First two missions with S ranks. From all the horror stories I heard about Berial being difficult. I didn't find him it at all. I'm not looking forward to the Dante missions though.

Also...How does one use Pandora's?:lol I still haven't figured out how to use it...like...at all.:lol

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i've been meaning to play other games, but when i don't play dmc4, i just end up playing nothing. so i'm playing dmc4 again. dante must die is fun a couple levels in...the difficulty is finally approaching something like dmc3 on normal :lol

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Ferrio said:
Yes.. I know. But how is it used? What makes it better than regular dodge? Is there any hidden crap it does that's not told?
They really gimped it down from DMC3 put it that way. But it has a few moves

The middle air vertical air hike type move. It moves you vertical in mid air. Decent against bosses and such.
You can also recover if knocked into the air by pressing it.
He also has a teleport type thing with it.

Compared to Swordmaster and Royal Guardian...its useless to be honest.

Top Bottom