• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

When exactly should I attempt to hit the rev to achieve the maximum effect? I can't seem to get it's timing right.

Any links would be just as good. I've searched the typical spots with no results.

Scopebob Sniperpants said:
When exactly should I attempt to hit the rev to achieve the maximum effect? I can't seem to get it's timing right.

Any links would be just as good. I've searched the typical spots with no results.

Tap the rev button in the middle of a sword slashes animation (mid-swing)

Scopebob Sniperpants said:

I'd you suggest you don't start off trying to get it on the first swing of the blade, the timing is much easier to get on a revved up second slash or his non revved streak.

shintoki said:
Compared to Swordmaster and Royal Guardian...its useless to be honest.

Really have to disagree, saying it's more useful than Royal Guardian is pretty mental to me given RG can only be used successfully by experts and there's no situation where it's specifically needed. Trickster is on the other hand the best way to isolate mobs (especially when paired with the stringer) so that you can use the SM attacks worth using, not to mention it's use with maneuvering through the air.

BeeDog

Oh man. When I heard people going "omg wtf at the dice game!" I thought they meant the one near the beginning of the game. I honestly thought "what a bunch of pansies, this shit was easy!". But now I know what they were talking about:

Just got the mission with the different levels of dice rolling. What the fuck were the devs at Capcom thinking? It's NOT cool to have you replay the same bosses for the THIRD FUCKING TIME. Talk about useless padding. Thank god though I S'ed the mission on my first try, now I'll never replay it again.

Anyways, I'm having trouble at the last mission with finding a good strategy against the boss. Anyone kind enough to share some hints?

shintoki said:
So i'm pissed for the first time:lol
Playing bloody palace last night, got to 88 I think it was...3 mega-crows and one blitz. So anyways I take out 2 of the megacrows and leave a sliver of life on a 3rd. Still in pretty good health.Blitz loses his shield, take him down to berserk...starts charging and I run over to kill the last crow. Forget about the dropping blade:lol Then impaled by the blitz with no devil trigger ready when I got up...I cried:lol

same thing happened to me. was making quick work with one of the scarecrows and blitz came from behind. Didnt have enough health regenerate. I was quite shocked how easy i reached the 80s. The enemies are a real challange there and up and since the bosses are SoS their a breeze.

vpance

On Bloody Palace I ran out of time on stage 35. I had around 8 minutes of time left when I reached Berial on stage 19. Do I just need to not get hit more overall or what? Because I felt I was killing everyone at a decent pace.

Possibly stupid, repeated, poorly phrased question: How do you dodge Berial's...well, I'm not sure what to call it, but that attack where the whole screen gets orange and blurry and it's like a nuke just went off and it seems to hit you no matter where you are or what you do? I have dodged it in the past by jumping, but today I couldn't do it at all. Not even on human. How humiliating!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Rummy Bunnz said:
Possibly stupid, repeated, poorly phrased question: How do you dodge Berial's...well, I'm not sure what to call it, but that attack where the whole screen gets orange and blurry and it's like a nuke just went off and it seems to hit you no matter where you are or what you do? I have dodged it in the past by jumping, but today I couldn't do it at all. Not even on human. How humiliating!
Run away from the fire God!

Victrix

*beard*
Rummy Bunnz said:

Distance. Just get away.

Nero can avoid it with a properly timed Shuffle, I have no idea if Dante could RG block it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Victrix said:
I have no idea if Dante could RG block it.
I can swear I've seen a movie of Dante RG'ing it. So yeah, it's possible.
Ferrio said:
Well I figured out why I was sucking with Dante. I wasn't abusing Stinger.
Abusing Stinger isn't fun (it gets repetetive) or cool (you never reach anything besides A-ranking, max).

MechaX

shintoki said:
So i'm pissed for the first time:lol
Playing bloody palace last night, got to 88 I think it was...3 mega-crows and one blitz. So anyways I take out 2 of the megacrows and leave a sliver of life on a 3rd. Still in pretty good health.Blitz loses his shield, take him down to berserk...starts charging and I run over to kill the last crow. Forget about the dropping blade:lol Then impaled by the blitz with no devil trigger ready when I got up...I cried:lol

The first time I ran through BP, I died at the same place. Only after my hardwork of killing the Blitz, I stupidly got killed by a Megacrow's rollout, taking out pretty much every bit of life that Nero had left.

Ironically enough, outside of the clusterfuck that is Nero/Dante vs. 50 Order Knights, that level is the hardest one in all of the Bloody Palace, in my opinion.

Ferrio

Banned
Seiken said:
Abusing Stinger isn't fun (it gets repetetive) or cool (you never reach anything besides A-ranking, max).

Oh i do more, I just wasn't using it at all really. Before I was just doing sword master stuff and trying to just go for lots of juggles.

Yoshichan

Ferrio said:
Oh i do more, I just wasn't using it at all really. Before I was just doing sword master stuff and trying to just go for lots of juggles.
Oh... not using Stinger at all isn't too good :lol

mr_square

Seiken said:
I can swear I've seen a movie of Dante RG'ing it. So yeah, it's possible.

Dante can RG any attack in the game, can't he? I know that was certainly true in DMC3 - I assume they've carried it over.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
distance is good, but isn't always feasible. if you're playing nero you can dt just as the wave's about to hit you -- you get a brief moment of invincibility

Yoshichan

drohne said:
distance is good, but isn't always feasible. if you're playing nero you can dt just as the wave's about to hit you -- you get a brief moment of invincibility
Oh sweet dude, I didn't know that. *types it down*

I finally beat the game today, and noticed that the L'arc En Ciel song was nowhere in the game. I take it that Capcom removed it from the North American release? It would've been nice to get something other than the one bloody metal song that's repeated a million times...

Narag

drohne said:

Was gonig to post this but was beaten. The DT invincibility is such a lifesaver.

distantmantra said:
I finally beat the game today, and noticed that the L'arc En Ciel song was nowhere in the game. I take it that Capcom removed it from the North American release? It would've been nice to get something other than the one bloody metal song that's repeated a million times...

From what I gather, yeah, it was. It would've been the 10/20/30... stage music in the Bloody Palace to denote a more difficult fight if I remember.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Slowly working at Hell and Hell, but I think I'm going to go back and S rank some stuff now. Here's how I stand at the moment:

DMC4002.jpg

The D on DMD 10 is killing me, so I want to do that next. :lol

But how the hell can you S rank 18? I've tried on DH a couple times and can't get past A overall.

Darkpen

Banned
Papercuts said:
Slowly working at Hell and Hell, but I think I'm going to go back and S rank some stuff now. Here's how I stand at the moment:

DMC4002.jpg

The D on DMD 10 is killing me, so I want to do that next. :lol

But how the hell can you S rank 18? I've tried on DH a couple times and can't get past A overall.
did you know you can repel the statue's arm using pandora? D: Its CRAZY. I saw it in a video somewhere, but I don't remember which. I tried it myself. Its awesome.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Never knew that, I'm not really good at the level in general though. I need way more style somehow.

Narag

Papercuts said:
Abuse the hell out of the knights when the statue is prone. There's also the cannon pointing right that murders respawning knights for quite a bit of points.

Here's the ranking info for mission 18. Its from the guide linked below.
Code:
MISSION 18: THE DESTROYER
- Clear Bonus -
All Modes = 1500
- Stylish Points -
S: All Modes = 5000
A: All Modes = 4000
B: All Modes = 3000
C: All Modes = 2000
- Clear Time -
S: H = 7:30 - DH = 10:00 - SoS = 11:30 - DMD = 14:00
A: H = 9:00 - DH = 12:00 - SoS = 13:30 - DMD = 17:00
B: H = ?[*] - DH = 14:30 - SoS = 16:30 - DMD = 20:00
C: H = 12:30[*] - DH = 17:00 - SoS = 20:00 - DMD = 24:00
- Total Devil Hunter Points -
S: H = 32300 - DH = 38000 - SoS = 68400 - DMD = 114000
A: H = 18700 - DH = 22000 - SoS = 39600 - DMD = 66000
B: H = 10200 - DH = 12000 - SoS = 21600 - DMD = 36000
C: H = 5100 - DH = 6000 - SoS = 10800 - DMD = 18000

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/938686/51834

Papercuts said:
By trying over and over again, trickster really helps (I used it to dash into the falling hand whenever he tried to smack me, puts you in a nice position to counter). And use the knights for style whenever he's down and don't have any weakspots within reach.

Kweh

What are you supposed to do against Sanctus in the final battle when he goes all super crazy and keeps charging at you?

Danielsan

Kweh said:
What are you supposed to do against Sanctus in the final battle when he goes all super crazy and keeps charging at you?
You use a well timed buster to send his ass flying across the room.

Dibbz

My controls are still not changing! I changed them in the main menu then loaded my game up, played some Bloody Palace then saved. Tried BP again and my controls were still the same.

How can I change my damn controls in this game?? It seems I can change them in the main menu but as soon as I load my game (which I bloody have to since I ain't going to start a new one :/) the controls go back to default.

What can I do dammit? I want L1 for the gun and R2 for devil trigger, and I'm stuck with the shitty defaults. Trying to kill a Blitz like this is a pain in the ass.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
just finished fighting Dante in mission 9

dante is coool
I like him
I like this game, good stuff

are the previous DMCs with dante?

Dibbz said:
My controls are still not changing! I changed them in the main menu then loaded my game up, played some Bloody Palace then saved. Tried BP again and my controls were still the same.

How can I change my damn controls in this game?? It seems I can change them in the main menu but as soon as I load my game (which I bloody have to since I ain't going to start a new one :/) the controls go back to default.

What can I do dammit? I want L1 for the gun and R2 for devil trigger, and I'm stuck with the shitty defaults. Trying to kill a Blitz like this is a pain in the ass.
Load your savegame, start whatever mission, then press start and change the controls in the pause menu. That should work and save the controls for future sessions.

Yoshichan

spyshagg said:
just finished fighting Dante in mission 9

dante is coool
I like him
I like this game, good stuff

are the previous DMCs with dante?
:lol :lol

Singho

Oh sod off Capcom! :lol:

This is the 4th time Capcom have caught me with the same JOKE in 3 of the DMC games I've played. First 3 times in DMC 1,3 and 4 I forget to buy the Devil Trigger stones from the Item Shop untill i've finished the game! For some reason I keep thinking the bars upgrade themselves, making certain sections and the bosses without DT a hell of a lot harder...but atleast it made me better at the game quicker.

Just now, game was still on in the background and I accidently went into the shop. I've only just found out that there SIX BLOCKS OF HEALTH AVAILABLE TO BUY! SIX! Thats almost an entire life bar! I've had over 900,000 red orbs doing nothing, I should have guessed they would actually be used somewhere. (Still only took like 120,000 in total for all 6)

I just had flash backs to SoS Mission 6 and 8 (Credo) and all the times I've fighted Berial in Bloody Palace where I could have REALLY done with 6 blocks of extra health!

Oh well. >_<; Still loving it, got S ranks on Human\DH\SoS all the way up to Mission 10.

Yoshichan

Haha, I was doing the same mistake as you too but with DT-bars :lol

Vaxadrin

Banned
So I decided to run through this again. This time around I was less caught up in the story, but noticed the cinemetography/choreography in the cutscenes is flat out amazing. Say what you will about the dialogue, which is pretty standard DMC fare, but the cutscenes are pretty spectacular. Combined with the quality of the graphics engine it's a sight to behold.

Is there some ace in the hole against those motherfucking Blitz enemies? I'm in Mission 15 and it takes way too fucking long to down these cunts.

Narag

Red Blaster said:
Is there some ace in the hole against those motherfucking Blitz enemies? I'm in Mission 15 and it takes way too fucking long to down these cunts.

Charged coyote shots with Dante.
If you're feeling up to it, you can gilgamesh/royal guard the shield off but it takes a bit of practice.

With Nero later on, charged shots (preferably level 3), then buster it 3 times in a row when its shield is down. It'll be near death and you can charge shot it the last couple hits to kill it.

Narcosis

Figured I'd just post a random post in the DMC4 thread on GAF while I had Nero in an endless air guitar loop on my TV screen. Activating the air guitar taunt during the Blitz explosion animation has led to a humourous never ending guitar riff being performed in the Bloody Palace concert hall.

Rock on!

(soon to go back to DMD mode and try to kill that little run-away bitch of a boss of Mission 11....)

Dibbz said:

Are you playing as Dante by any chance? If so, you need to go into options and select the option that switches controls to Dante. Otherwise, you're just changing Nero's controls.

Only have a few missions to S rank in DMD (mostly Dante). Mission 1 hell and hell was tough, I had to use super nero to beat dante, but Iam not too concerned about final rank. :lol

Toonami 99 said:
Only have a few missions to S rank in DMD (mostly Dante). Mission 1 hell and hell was tough, I had to use super nero to beat dante, but Iam not too concerned about final rank. :lol

For Hell and Hell, one-on-one fights wouldn't bother me so much as just regular enemy mobs. I can't make out the audio cues of most incoming enemy attacks in this game, not as well as I could in DMC3. :(

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
fucking xbl connection cutting out randomly and keeping my scores off the leaderboards. i wonder if the missing levels will be accounted for when i finish the game...i REALLY don't want to redo that level with the gyro blades

Attack You said:
For Hell and Hell, one-on-one fights wouldn't bother me so much as just regular enemy mobs. I can't make out the audio cues of most incoming enemy attacks in this game, not as well as I could in DMC3. :(

you say that now but when you get a hit with the shotgun or honeycomb you will get pissed.

Top Bottom