• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just beat Hell and Hell. :D

Dante 2 on Mission 10 and the savior on mission 18 were the hardest parts for me, overall it wasn't too bad but I used a super character so I guess that's to be expected. :lol

Narag

Papercuts said:
Just beat Hell and Hell. :D

Dante 2 on Mission 10 and the savior on mission 18 were the hardest parts for me, overall it wasn't too bad but I used a super character so I guess that's to be expected. :lol

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Dante2 on Hell or Hell. I had to cheese my way to victory there. :lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Even cheesing got annoying, he kept randomly jumping up and shotgunning me. :lol

Oh, and the Agnus window fight was another part I had to redo hundreds of times.

Dahbomb

What's up with the title change? :lol

And Lucifer is supposedly godly on larger bosses. There's a video floating around of Lucifer ownage of Dagon in 50 seconds on DMD.

Dahbomb

Dahbomb's/ChaosAptom's Official Review of Devil May Cry 4

7 years, 9 million units and 4 games later... the Devil May Cry franchise is still the King of Action. No other series has been able to provide the same stylistic yet skilled driven complex combination of short/long ranged combat like a DMC game. DMC remains untouched on its throne and DMC4 beckons in a new term of rule for the franchise, one that will continue until the next DMC drops by which is all but confirmed now that DMC4 has ushered in a new milestone for the series in terms of fast sales.

Now that the obligatory hyperbole opening statement is out of the way, I will proceed with the actual review. But don't forget the opening statement when you read the review because it still holds true. DMC4 doesn't do anything that would cause the series to be dethroned despite what this or any other review will cause you to believe, a review is merely a formality and DMC4's quality speaks for itself.

With DMC4 I will be splitting it into the following categories:

*Game Play & Mechanics
*Graphics & Technical Aspects
*Sound & Music
*Art Design
*Game Design
*Replay Value & Content
*Story & Cutscenes
*Overall Presentation

GAME PLAY & MECHANICS

Many fans will say this and that about what they feel a DMC game is to them and what type of experience they are looking for in a DMC game. For me a DMC game's worth is measured almost entirely by it's game play and general mechanics that combine to form the DMC combat engine. In the DMC series, only DMC2 was a DMC game that failed to meet the minimum criteria of what I deem as the "DMC game play standard" and thus DMC2 will never be a DMC game for me.

DMC4 retains the series game play standard while at the same time pushes the standard forward for fans and newcomers a like. I feel that DMC4's biggest accomplishment was that it was able to bring out DMC from its niche/hardcore shell into the casual, semi-hardcore gaming market by going back to its original roots. The game accomplishes this by the introduction of a new character through which the series receives brand new mechanics.

Snatch, Exceed, double tap directional inputs, multiple charge levels, Buster, Sprinting and doppelganger-like DT system are some of the new mechanics brought into play for DMC4 thanks to Nero. Nero on paper is a fairly limited character in terms of overall movelist.... but so is DMC1 Dante when compared to where the series is now. Of course as fans and gamers we are not concerned about how a player stacks on paper but rather how it stacks when the heat is on. And when the heat is on for Nero that is where he truly shines. If we as gamers were so fixated on number of weapons/moves, then most of us would over look gems like ZOE2.

Nero's approach to DMC is simple but elegant. It builds upon the foundations laid down by the original DMC1 and merely expands upon them. Stuff like timing based combat (Exceed), enemy interaction (Buster/Snatch) and utilization of Devil Trigger were philosophies brought in by DMC1 that were some what lost in the way upon the introduction of DMC3 where the emphasis was more on the player himself, his weapons and his moves. With Nero players who felt that DMC3 was too convoluted in approach now feel right at home even if he has few weapons and moves. Nero's combat is so elegant that none of his moves can be classified as being useless because the construction of the combat engine as just so solid and well thought out. His combat is pure, cutting down to the core essentials and mechanics of what is required to make an excellent action game.

Of course DMC3's approach to combat cannot be so easily dismissed because that form of combat single-handedly saved the series from early extinction. DMC3's combat is retained in DMC4 and it has been expanded upon. DMC3's approach to combat was Customization, DMC4's approach is "All-In-One". Dante represents the evolution of the DMC3 combat engine much like Nero represents the evolution of the DMC1 combat engine, but its far more obvious with Dante. Dante now has access to all 4 of his Styles at once which already makes it a superior system to DMC3's where you were forced to play with one Style at one time, alienating a large number of mechanics and moves available to the player at once.

According to the Director Itsuno, he stated that Dante's portion of the combat has been maxed in terms of RAM and memory on the next-gen hardware. This is probably why Dante has fewer weapons in DMC4 but I for one barely felt their omission, especially the firearms. The sheer complexity of Dante's combat is unmatched and will probably stay unmatched for 2-3 years when the next DMC game rolls around. 4 Styles plus one Sub-Style (Dark Slayer), 3 Melee Weapons one more obtained from the Sub-Style Dark Slayer and 3 Firearms one of which has 7 transformations almost working as a Style in of itself. And all of this is available to you at once, a feat not at all possible by the previous DMC3. Obviously some sacrifices had to be made but stuff like toning down of the effectiveness of Royal Guard/Trickster while upgrading Gunslinger were merely balancing issues and I for one consider them necessary for DMC4.

This covers the general out look on the game play and mechanics for DMC4. When going into specific details it also becomes clear the amount of work that was put into polishing DMC4's combat when you start bringing in enemy types into the equation. Some previously frivolous moves were removed (most notably the Crazy Combos and vanilla moves like Free Ride and Wild Stomp) for the sake of balancing however I believe the removal of these moves takes away from some of the personality of the series.

Core mechanics such as the Devil Trigger system has also been expanded upon in DMC4 which was greatly tapered down in DMC3. Now DT is available as a viable option during combat as opposed to just a generic bomb that it was watered down to in DMC3. The balancing of the core mechanics I felt was essential to keep the integrity of the new online scoring system brought into play for DMC4, which minutely tracks your combat prowess. Judging on the basis of these new additions, polished aspects and balancing of previous mechanics it is easy for me to score this section of the game so high because as a long standing fan I have no regret in saying DMC4 is the best at what it does.

Final Score = 10.0 DMC4 is the most balanced, most complex and most polished DMC combat engine to date in the grand scheme of things, all of which is nothing short of sheer excellency.

GRAPHICS AND TECHNICAL ASPECTS

Next-gen game development has been a slippery slope of technical and visual expansion. It has become an even bigger headache thanks to multiplatform development and DMC4 has been no exception. Certainly creating similar experiences on different consoles is not an easy task but Capcom does it with class.

The first thing that DMC4 nails on the basic level is retaining the series’ 60FPS, standard which for some reason was a difficult task to do with HD visuals. The director mentioned that a 100% increase in graphics would’ve been possible had he opted for 30FPS but he also mentioned that without 60FPS the fluid animations of the character and attacks would not be up to par with the series and it would be seen as a downgrade in terms of game play.

Despite having a high framerate, DMC4 still manages to look near flawless on both consoles. Excellent animations, visual effects, great lighting and solid textures all around. DMC4 is the first DMC game to please visually since DMC1. Even among the top-tier graphical showpieces DMC4 can hang with the best because of its delivery of high frame action in HD. There is also minimal screen tearing and framerate drops in the game on both consoles making DMC4 one of the very few multiplatform game to impress equally on all consoles.

Even though DMC4 looks phenomenal for most of the game it does have some issues technically. Obviously the game has a very clean and sometimes barren look to it in some levels. In some areas there is exaggerated shimmering of shadow effects or even slowdowns (particularly the jungle level). There are some low resolution textures used in some of the environments that stick out if you look for them. There is the usual clipping of the sword through the long trench coat of the characters etc. I still don’t believe that any of these factors detract from DMC4’s overall visual fidelity but it should be known that DMC4’s graphics are not perfect, just outstanding.

Final Score = 9.5 – DMC4 provides a technically masterful experience on both consoles at a blistering framerate, a feat delivered by few games of this generation. It is detracted by only a handful of visual botches that don’t pull down the game from absolutely breath taking.

SOUND AND MUSIC

DMC4 supports a solid soundtrack and an excellent sound quality overall. Technically the audio effects of DMC4 are the best in the series and in its genre probably the best yet. The audio of enemies, special moves and even the characters or the ambient sounds of the levels are delivered in lossless fashion at full technical prowess. The weight of your attack is transmitted mostly through the audio cues. Even something like timings of Royal Guard and Exceed are reliant on audio cues making the audio aspect of DMC4 an integral part of the action experience.

The soundtrack of DMC4 works well. While not overwhelmingly good like something composed by Harry Gregson Williams/Hans Zimmer it does get the job done. The battle theme is the generic heavy metal with lyrics stuff that fans have been accustomed to since DMC3 but some of the orchestral tracks are really good stuff. The ambient tracks are also nice and instill a gothic atmosphere to the otherwise barren levels. Plus the 360 version comes with custom soundtracks with complete customization over track control so that is a non-issue for some.

The voice acting for DMC4 is generally good for the series but overall it is merely decent. It also ranges from characters to characters, with someone like Nero/Sanctus delivering well on their dialogue and someone like Agnus who is filled with gut-wrenchingly bad theatrical voice. The voice acting adds some flair to the otherwise dead script and story.

Final Score = 9.0 The sound effects in DMC4 are top notch that are almost integral to game play with the soundtrack being solid and the voice acting being alright. It is all presented well but it lacks the extra resounding effect that something like the original DMC had with its tracks.

ART DESIGN

DMC1 set the standard for art design in action games. DMC3 took that art design element away by making it sterile and non-interesting. DMC4 attempts to bring the art design standard of the series back to the original and while it does not manage to capture the essence of the original it still does a MUCH better job than DMC3 at delivering an artistically competent experience.

The art design of DMC4 hits you hard as soon as you play the game, so much that one might confuse it for pure graphics prowess. The architectural design in DMC4 is spot on and brings back some of the gothic feel of the series. DMC4 for the most part doesn’t even take place in gothic settings but the settings that it do take place in are artistically pleasing. They have a sense of awe-inspiring aspect to them particularly the arenas of the Bloody Palace where you are in the clouds on a platform in bright sunlight. It’s a bone chilling experience and that is merely the tip of the iceberg in terms of level design for DMC4. It’s only downfall is that some open areas of DMC4 fail to instill the same feeling because they are not quite as rich.

The artistic design of DMC4 has poured into the enemies and bosses as well as the characters. The enemies are flawlessly designed and generally look great. The bosses are even more so well designed ranging from the behemoth that is Berial to the breath taking Credo Angelo boss fight and finally to the gigantic scale of the Savior. These are some of the best designed enemies and bosses since the original DMC which is saying a lot since most consider DMC to have some of the best enemies in an action game yet.

Final Score = 9.5 DMC4’s artistic merits cannot be overlooked because they add so much to the overall experience. It is the direction that the series should go in for future games in terms of both enemy and level design.

GAME DESIGN

It is almost a bewilderment that a game that accomplished so much technically could fall so low in terms of game design. DMC4 could’ve been the end all DMC game if it weren’t marred by obvious game flaws, and there are many of them.

To begin, backtracking has always been in a DMC game but never to this magnitude. It is almost staggering at some times when a player has to spend an hour going back to a previous location to go to the next arbitrarily named “mission”. Then because of the separation of the game into 2 characters, this gave Capcom a free pass to repeat ENTIRE LEVELS and BOSS ENCOUNTERS two to three times! Inexcusable on all accounts no matter what type of game it is. Recycled content is the bane of gaming existence and is something that should’ve been lost in the early years. It is painful to see it in a beloved franchise and this should never happen again.

Another atrocity that occurred in DMC4 is the off balance nature to which the game handles the Dante/Nero game play structure. You play as Dante for only 20-25% of the game at maximum which is a huge case of cognitive dissonance as Dante’s combat requires more time to get used to. It feels that DMC4 is Nero’s game with Dante injected in it to fill in some arbitrary checks for the game’s back cover despite how brilliant Dante’s combat engine is. Dante’s character and game play was not done justice, who was reduced to a side character. If you have 2 characters in a game, then have 2 characters in a game… not 1 and a half.

Of course it is easy to dismiss DMC4’s game design with those obvious flaws but some credit has to be given to DMC4 as well. DMC4 is the first game to have an acceptable learning curve and a leveling up system that the player actually understands. The first 13 or so missions of DMC4 are excellently designed in terms of pacing and delivering new content to the player. There is a great deal of polish put over in the game to help player get continuously better in their approach to the combat and it never feels convoluted or over bearing. In this regard, DMC4 is a major step over previous games in terms of game design. It holds your hand through the game without actually holding your hand.

Final Score = 7.5 DMC4 has clear flaws in its game design ranging from recycled game content and off balance Dante/Nero game play structure. However at the same time it is also well designed in its first 13 missions delivering fresh content and easing the player into an otherwise difficult franchise to get into. DMC4’s game design is a mixed bag overall and should be looked into for future installments.

REPLAY VALUE AND CONTENT

DMC4 continues the series’ staple high replay value approach for its game play. Now there are two fleshed out characters to mess around with, 6 difficulties and a plethora of Achievements/Accomplishments to tackle. Bloody Palace is now tweaked so that it’s no longer randomized so that you can anticipate the enemy patterns and strategically plan for them, making it easier to replay and experiment with (ie. Combo videos). It is also ranked. And of course there is carry over stats between difficulties and replayable missions to further aid you in better runs.

The biggest addition to DMC4 is the Leaderboard system, which allows you to post up your performance score online among other veterans. This is used as a measuring stick among hardcore fans as to see who really is the King of Hell. This adds great replay value to DMC4 by encouraging players to be at the top of their game and to aim for something higher than just perfect S runs. There is also a Penalty/Bonus system for DMC4 for the rankings tied in with the scoring system (Devil Hunter points).

While the actual replay value of DMC4 is certainly extremely high, there is a curious lack of unlockable contents. While unlockable contents like costumes don’t actually increase the game play replay value, they are cool Easter eggs to ease you through repeated walkthroughs. Stuff like costumes are lacking in DMC4 and even some of the previous weapon classes of DMC3 are also glaringly absent. These things could’ve added an insane amount of replay value and content to DMC4, which as of now feels it adding that little extra stuff. Whether or not these things will be added as a DLC or as a Special Edition like with DMC3 is up in the air but it will most likely happen just like it does with most games. As such I have to keep that factor in mind for my final score, which admittedly is a bit lenient.

Final Score = 9.0 DMC4 continues DMC’s tradition of extremely high replay value with a Leaderboard system, 2 unique characters and a more polished Bloody Palace. What DMC4 lacks is extra unlockable content that would’ve gone a long way in pleasing the long time fans with costumes and staple weapon classes. It is still up in the air whether new content will be added in DLC or SE packaging.

STORY AND CUTSCENES

Story has never been the strong point of a DMC game but it’s an important element to the series as it allows the player to connect to the characters and universe they play in. Judging on who you ask about the story of DMC you will get different answers. The universe is interesting but the delivery of the story is always ridden with plot holes, general awkwardness and silly Japanese-centric inside jokes that the rest of the world just doesn’t get.

DMC4 is no exception and I would go as far as to say it’s the prime example of all the things wrong with the DMC story. Only the DMC4 story fails on even more levels than previous DMC games. DMC3 and DMC1 had a villain that was developed throughout the game which made the final climactic battle that much more satisfying. Particularly DMC3 where you were squaring off against Vergil and each encounter being more intense than the previous one, closing off the game with one of the best final battles in an action game yet. DMC4 lacks above mentioned integral antagonist character that makes the story of such action games work. And that is a big blow to the story of DMC4.

Another big offense that the DMC4 story made was the general vague method with which it treated the mythos behind the new character Nero. So many questions are left unanswered when you finish the game that it made the entire game almost pointless in comparison. Why does Nero have Sparda’s blood? Why does he have a freakish Devil arm? What happened to Vergil? Is Nero even a human? I don’t understand if this is a way for them to answer questions raised in DMC4 in a future DMC game or this is just a way Capcom can avoid making a huge error in the canonical universe of the DMC franchise but whatever it is, it is lame. When a DMC game ends, it ends.

So what is left then? The entire ride to the finish ultimately ends up being fruitless and nothing more than a string of cool action scenes and bad ass one liners involving some rather over the top characters and demons. About par of what to expect from a DMC game and at least DMC4 gets some of those things right. There are references to Sparda throughout and I believe Nero’s character was done justice in that the player did sort of want to see him prevail. There is some merit to the DMC4 story but overall it’s disappointing even compared to the low standard set by previous DMC games.

The cutscenes are directed well enough and visually are out of this world. The voice acting is generally solid but nothing overwhelmingly great either. The action is about par of what to expect, certainly after DMC3 which set the bar so high that in DMC4 it just seems like ordinary affair. Technically brilliant but some what flat in delivery thanks to a sub par story.

Final Score = 7.0 Thanks to the cutscenes which are technically proficient and par for the series in terms of direction, the story of DMC4 barely avoids disastrous results. Lack of an engaging antagonist and various vague plot holes make the story of DMC4 dull and uninteresting even when compared to previous DMC games.

OVERALL PRESENTATION

The overall impression one receives from DMC4 is a positive one. There is a multitude of great options and an excellent come to life Library feature that really rounds out the packaging of the title. Loading times are brisk, production values are high and everything feels just right. Customization is back and the same Mission Select navigation system from DMC3 is back. The Gold checkpoint system from DMC3Se also makes a return and is probably the standard for future DMC games as well.

DMC4 eases the player into doing what they should be doing through a good tutorial and options system. Like mentioned before, one of the greatest accomplishments that DMC4 has done is that it makes the transition into the franchise easier than any previous DMC game and this is all thanks to its presentation in its menus and options.

The overall presentation in DMC4 is a yardstick for future DMC games to follow. Nothing needs to be said here, I never once had a problem with the way DMC was structured.

Final Score = 9.5 An excellent tutorial, options and menu system coupled with quick loading times and a great checkpoint system makes it the easiest DMC game to get into. The system makes the player do what they should be doing in a DMC game and it sets the standard for future games to follow.

Final Review Score = 9.2

Bottom Line: It is difficult for me as a long time fan and an avid gamer to rank DMC4 among the other DMC games. DMC4 is certainly not the end all DMC game that most people including myself hoped it to be, but it is still a very excellent entry into the franchise despite its flaws. DMC4’s core game engine, presentation and technical merits are UNQUESTIONABLE but its approach in game design and story definitely raise some eyebrows. There was also an obvious lack of content that may or may not be remedied in the near future hence I didn’t delve too deeply into that factor.

DMC4 in terms of game play is superior to the original DMC but may not be superior to DMC3’s game play, even though DMC4 is far easier to approach for the newcomer. DMC4 in terms of art design is superior to DMC3 but may not be superior to DMC1’s. In story it’s the worst of the three but in overall presentation and technical merit it’s probably the best of the three. Right now the only thing I can do is to see how DMC4 stands against the test of time and then see how nostalgia effects my decision of DMC4. I have given my score of DMC4 which is actually the lowest of the 3 games (I gave DMC1 a 9.4, DMC3SE a 9.6) but I think it’s more of a reflection of how DMC4 doesn’t meet some expectations of a hardcore fan rather than the actual merit of the game itself. Even so I think some of the obvious faults of DMC4 in its game design need to be addressed for future games.

DMC4 is a technically phenomenal action game supporting some of the greatest visuals in an action game while at the same time having a GOD-LIKE combat engine. It has a great learning curve for newcomers with a great overall presentation that makes the game play experience even better. It is marred severely by some questionable game design choices and a dull story that brings down the overall quality of an otherwise ground-breaking action title.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Really, I've been wanting to read your impressions for a long time Dahbomb! VERY nice review!

Finally finished SoS, I do wish it gave you the human acheivements, I really can't be arsed running through the game again now. I think its time for this to go in the drawer of probably not going to be played again for a while now.
Agnus is still a douche btw, but at least this time I did Mission 19 without items.
I gold-orbed on 9(damn it, s,s,s=a),10 and 17 - the rest were no items

SoS.jpg

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Success :lol
Bloody Palace Cleared and done with S rankings. ^_^
Human Mode also cleared with all S rankins...
Got first 5 levels on DMD mode done with all S rankings...Curse the one death on 6 >_<

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
shintoki said:
Success :lol
Bloody Palace Cleared and done with S rankings. ^_^
Human Mode also cleared with all S rankins...
Got first 5 levels on DMD mode done with all S rankings...Curse the one death on 6 >_<
I really, really have a hard time S ranking Human Mode :(

LordK

Hm, I thought hell and hell would be a lot harder. Of course I'm using super characters though :). You can just keep on continuing and not worry about your rank because it doesn't count towards anything. So once you make it to a boss, all you have to do is beat it without getting hit 4 times. With super characters, it's not too difficult :p.

So I just have to complete bloody palace and get and S in it, then I should have all the achievements. Doing those two things will be really hard for me though :(.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Seiken said:
I really, really have a hard time S ranking Human Mode :(
Just don't get hit:lol Pretty much how I did it. But you get a 50% bonus for not getting hit to points.
Also, I use the buster less. Since it does too much damage:lol

Also can you use super characters on normal missions and still get S ranks? Someone mentioned you can't for bloody palace.

Narag

copybeaver said:
Hm, I thought hell and hell would be a lot harder. Of course I'm using super characters though :). You can just keep on continuing and not worry about your rank because it doesn't count towards anything. So once you make it to a boss, all you have to do is beat it without getting hit 4 times. With super characters, it's not too difficult :p.

So I just have to complete bloody palace and get and S in it, then I should have all the achievements. Doing those two things will be really hard for me though :(.

I wish it had limited continues or at least didn't turn on enemy handcap, disabled items, and put that mythical SSS style bonus needed to kill in there. :(

shintoki said:
Just don't get hit:lol Pretty much how I did it. But you get a 50% bonus for not getting hit to points.
Also, I use the buster less. Since it does too much damage:lol

Also can you use super characters on normal missions and still get S ranks? Someone mentioned you can't for bloody palace.

No, much like no damage is a 1.5x bonus, super characters are a massive penalty and you only get 20% of your normal score.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
so I just unlocked Dante and I dunnoo.. I liked playing this game with Nero with the devil bringer. Dante feels kind of clumsy against most eniemies.

Anyone have any tips?

haunts said:
so I just unlocked Dante and I dunnoo.. I liked playing this game with Nero with the devil bringer. Dante feels kind of clumsy against most eniemies.

Anyone have any tips?

Ever play any of the previous DMC's? If so, play like that.

Calcaneus

haunts said:

Anyone have any tips?

It took a while for me to get used to it but after a mission or two, it started to gel.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Choke on the Magic said:
Ever play any of the previous DMC's? If so, play like that.

haha, I dont remember now.. I got so used to playing Nero.. Seems like once an enemy away its rough to get right back in there and start another combo.. With Nero Id just use devil bringer to pull them back..

haunts said:
haha, I dont remember now.. I got so used to playing Nero.. Seems like once an enemy away its rough to get right back in there and start another combo.. With Nero Id just use devil bringer to pull them back..

You'll get it then. I actually prefer Dante.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
haunts said:
Trickster works well when you have it maxed out. So does using Stinger and then canceling into another combo. Dante is pretty fun once you get use to style switching on the fly which took me awhile. I do prefer Nero's more finesse style of play though since it reminds me of DMC1.

Fantasmo

Whereas in SoS I could hold my own just fine, DMD is kicking my ass horribly. I'm using way too many items just to make it to the end of a level, nevermind the insanely powerful enemies where I realize I'm dead before I even know it.

I can charge the Blue Rose just fine, but I'm NOT good with Exceed and bosses keep destroying me.

Any tips aside from farming easier difficulties and using tons of items?

Ferrio

Banned
haunts said:

Anyone have any tips?

I was in the same position, and haven't played any of the other games (did DMZ1 *briefly*) so being tossed Dante I was lost. I got my ass kicked that first level so many times.

It dawned on me eventually... STINGER. USE THE FUCKING STINGER. Smack enemies with it a lot, then follow up with sword master, interuppting that with rebellion and the launcher, and etc.
So... moral of story STINGER their ass until you're a safe distance from other enemies, and your enemy's guard is broken.

In the end I ended up liking Dante a lot more.

No expert, but I either used stinger to close in.. or trickster dash.
is the royal guard a parry attack?

Yes. The stance itself allows you to block, but if you block at the moment of impact it parries.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
bu bu bu all my dope exceed combos with nero? :(

i miss all the L2 shenanigans.

how do I do the sword attack where he wiles out with like 50 swords at once? I cant seem to get it to come out consistently.

Ferrio

Banned
haunts said:
bu bu bu all my dope exceed combos with nero? :(

i miss all the L2 shenanigans.

how do I do the sword attack where he wiles out with like 50 swords at once? I cant seem to get it to come out consistently.

Ya, I missed it too (especially the Full Exceed Rev). The one where he rapidly stabs? Up+Triangle. Let go up ASAP but hold triangle. Or upgrade his Sword Master and it'll do it in one of his ground combos.

Calcaneus

Just beat it, thought it was great. Overall I enjoyed Nero's section a little more, the exceed meter and the Devil Bringer added a LOT to the experience. Dante's part felt like DMC3 with
quick style change and new weapons, which is still pretty awesome.

But now that I'm done, I can't help to think how much more awesome the game could have been if they delved more into Nero's abilities. I would have been completely fine with playing the whole game with Nero, gaining new weapons and uses for the Devil Bringer. It felt kinda wierd when Dante would get his weapons so quickly, when there was usually about 5 missions between weapons in the other game. Giving Nero the whole game would have brought back one of the elements that I love about the series, starting off as a badass with nothing and ending the last fight as a badass with everything. And that was kinda missing with this one.

Of course we would still need our Dante, I would have also been fine with him being playable after the first playthough.

But anyways, this was overall a completely awesome experience and not a disappointment at all. I just feel that it could have easily been a lot more than it was. So I'm basically babbling about making a great game even greater, but it was just on my mind.

Yoshichan

There are many ways of getting to the enemy when he's far away.

Trickster Dash, these are two examples:

1: Stinger let's the enemy fly far away from you... so Trickster Dash right away.
2: Swordsmaster, O O O O lets the enemy fly far away from you, quickly Trickster Dash

Also, if you want to reach your enemy quick without pussing it forward, Stinger Cancel is your absolute best friend. It doesn't push him away and it's a great combo starter (High Roller right after it).

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Finished the game Saturday on DH difficulty. I was mostly disappointed in the boss fight repetition. DMC1 was awesome because the bosses evolved with each battle. Here it was just more of the same.

I just beat mission 12 as Dante, and man,
Echidna
was a joke. I mean, I beat her as Nero with a sliver of health left (don't laugh), and I barely even got hit with Dante. I love Swordmaster so far, but I think I need to practice with the other styles as well. Also, now that I have
Gilgamesh
, what's the trick to doing Dante's badass uppercut?

Edit: I figured it out. Time to rock this shit.

Darkpen

Banned
SabinFigaro said:
I just beat mission 12 as Dante, and man,
Echidna
was a joke. I mean, I beat her as Nero with a sliver of health left (don't laugh), and I barely even got hit with Dante. I love Swordmaster so far, but I think I need to practice with the other styles as well. Also, now that I have
Gilgamesh
, what's the trick to doing Dante's badass uppercut?

Edit: I figured it out. Time to rock this shit.
impact distortion ftw :lol

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Wow....:lol I think I got one shotted by a Blitz earlier today:lol I either had 18 bars of health with some extra or full, Forgot the amount. But I jumped at the wrong time...got impaled when he was berserking. Dead.:lol

My face went from...Oh well..Hes dead when hes done attacking me anyways:lol

To

...What...in hell? WTF!!! Did I got got one shotted? WTF CAPCOM!!!:lol

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
you can break out of that attack with devil trigger if you've got any meter. if not, you're basically screwed. i make a point of saving a bit of dt for that purpose, especially in bloody palace -- getting pwned by a suicidal blitz an hour into your run is NOT AMUSING

jax (old)

Banned
Picked this up today. played 1 stage. beat the fire boss. Don't know why/how but I'm not feeling the game. The controls seem REALLY awkward - seems to be left trigger holding all the time to do stuff and I got hand cramps from button mashing. Does it get better? I beat the fire boss and the whole time I was like ... what the fuck am I doing (with regards to controls). I feel as though Nero is running too slow.

The visuals are also somewhat mehish.

help a newb to the series. I'm actually not surprised at how I feel about this. Had the same reaction to DMC1. But that was a rental and this is a purchase. Help me grow to like it. Should I read the manual ... will that help?

Jax said:
Picked this up today. played 1 stage. beat the fire boss. Don't know why/how but I'm not feeling the game. The controls seem REALLY awkward - seems to be left trigger holding all the time to do stuff and I got hand cramps from botton mashing. Does it get better? I beat the fire boss and the whole time I was like ... what the fuck am I doing (with regards to controls). I feel as though Nero is running too slow.

help a newb to the series. I'm actually not surprised at how I feel about this. Had the same reaction to DMC1. But that was a rental and this is a purchase. Help me grow to like it. Should I read the manual ... will that help?

Practice your combos. And don't mash buttons, press the button once per attack.

X26

Banned
Jax said:
Picked this up today. played 1 stage. beat the fire boss. Don't know why/how but I'm not feeling the game. The controls seem REALLY awkward - seems to be left trigger holding all the time to do stuff and I got hand cramps from button mashing. Does it get better? I beat the fire boss and the whole time I was like ... what the fuck am I doing (with regards to controls). I feel as though Nero is running too slow.

the tutorial videos in the game might be helpful, they show short clips of all the moves you can use and how to do them

Defuser

Jax said:

No manual can help if you keep on button mashing. Watch videos and see how the pro players play DMC4.

Darkpen

Banned
X26 said:
the tutorial videos in the game might be helpful, they show short clips of all the moves you can use and how to do them
what tutorial videos. There aren't any tutorial videos. Where are these videos. I've never seen such a thing. All I've ever seen is the skills list.

Narag

Darkpen said:
what tutorial videos. There aren't any tutorial videos. Where are these videos. I've never seen such a thing. All I've ever seen is the skills list.

Check the library and Dante's/Nero's actions. There should be a small vid playing the currently selected action in full speed.

Dizzle24

DMD mode is KICKING MY FUCKING ASS. (Dante's Missions)

I just can't seem to not take damage and use items.

I have never, ever, ever, ever used more than a few items in the DMC games.

Here I am, using up all of my stock, and having to farm for hours to buy more just to finish some of Dante's missions.

I actually get angry and shut the damn game off on occasion as of late.... a first for me. :lol

VaLiancY said:
Beat SoS last night. That Y..Y..Y Lucifer combo is a bitch to pull off, its the timing with the last Y that kills me.
There's a longer pause for that last Y, you should wait until Dante completely turns around and faces the enemy.

BeeDog

BeeDog said:
Oh man. When I heard people going "omg wtf at the dice game!" I thought they meant the one near the beginning of the game. I honestly thought "what a bunch of pansies, this shit was easy!". But now I know what they were talking about:

Just got the mission with the different levels of dice rolling. What the fuck were the devs at Capcom thinking? It's NOT cool to have you replay the same bosses for the THIRD FUCKING TIME. Talk about useless padding. Thank god though I S'ed the mission on my first try, now I'll never replay it again.

Anyways, I'm having trouble at the last mission with finding a good strategy against the boss. Anyone kind enough to share some hints?

Quoting myself for some help here. Haven't played the game at all since that post (since I should be busy studying for two exams ugh), so really would like some help before I get back to it.

Narag

BotoxAgent said:
how are people able to charge their gun with Nero while pulling combos. What control scheme is best to facilitate this?

Map the gun to L1 or R1, whichever is more comfortable.

USD

BotoxAgent said:
how are people able to charge their gun with Nero while pulling combos. What control scheme is best to facilitate this?
It can be done with the standard control scheme (with a lot of practice), but it's probably best to map the gun button to a shoulder button.

BotoxAgent said:

Which system are you playing on? I have the gun moved to L1.

SO I played Bloody Palace a lot getting to 20 and never being able to pass it. Passed Berial, and somehow...made it all the way to 65 without a hitch.

Is Berial that hard for anyone else?

Narag

jeremy_ricci said:
Which system are you playing on? I have the gun moved to L1.

SO I played Bloody Palace a lot getting to 20 and never being able to pass it. Passed Berial, and somehow...made it all the way to 65 without a hitch.

Is Berial that hard for anyone else?

Berial proved problematic for a lot of us at first due to him not behaving exactly like he did in any of the regular difficulties.

So I've beat the game on Devil Hunter, Human and I'm on Stage 6 on Son of Sparda and I've got 23 hours in. Definitely worth the money. Still can't seem to get my groove in Bloody Palace though. Furthest I've got is Stage 17:lol I don't know why it's freak accidents.

Top Bottom