• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

How hard is that boss Berail (sp?) in the grand scheme of all things DMC?

I've never played a DMC game before today, and I'd like to know how he would stack up to bosses in previous games (I managed to beat him on my second attempt, pulled off a sweet throw attack on the Balrog...sorry..Berail)

Danielsan

The demo was kinda of a mixed bag to me. The controlls with the 360 controler feel off. They should have used RT instead of RB to lock on enemies. The graphics were kinda disspointing, espcially the snow section. The enemies aren't nearly as aggressive as they should be. The moveset was too limited for me to really enjoy, ofcouse that´s just a problem with the demo.

However, the Berial bossfight rocked. After you´ve knocked his ass down the first time he turns really aggressive trowing all kinds of attacks at you.

I also almost managed to beat Berial within the 10min mode :D

harSon

Banned
sionyboy said:

I've never played a DMC game before today, and I'd like to know how he would stack up to bosses in previous games (I managed to beat him on my second attempt, pulled off a sweet throw attack on the Balrog...sorry..Berail)

Easy as hell if you abuse your devil arm :p

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
harSon said:

I would agree with that plus he only has one attack that hit me and that was the one when he first charged his fire thing and the whole screen goes bright it caught me off guard.

sionyboy said:

Im taking almost all his health without getting hit too bad, im even getting that EX stuff, but then he fires a few of those grand flash's i can't dodge and its over : (
Its lots of fun, I think im sold for day 2-3. The grab move make its so much better, I can ripp off combos like a whore

edit: wait you can throw him? huh need to try that.

Teknoman

harSon said:

Agreed, friggin Advent Children battle with em lol. Just stay in the air using the Devil Bringer or rebound jumping off em. He gets pissed near the end though.

So Bearil is considered an easy boss?

Hmm....maybe it'll be day one price drop. No offence intended to the game, but I don't want to throw things at my new TV.

Danielsan

sionyboy said:

Easy as hell. It´s mostly the fault of the default difficulty I suspect, but even the first sub-boss (Hell Vanguard) in DMC3 was harder than that.

Teknoman

WickedLaharl said:
the problem is that they're not locked at 60fps. you can easily see how inconsistent the framerate is in the cutscene right before you fight the frosts (i.e. when the bridge is collapsing).

I wonder if once it's on the HDD itself, as in full retail game install...if that would remedy that? Im sure it wont, but it would be nice to have it stick to 60.

But who knows, maybe the full retail version on both systems will keep a steady 60 during cutscenes.

brandonh83 said:
Difficulty chart courtesy of Capcom:

33moc40.jpg
:lol :lol Seeing it definitely makes it funnier.

vg260

*All the event cutscenes in DMC4 will be realtime using in-game character models and the game will be 60FPS throughout. It runs at 720P and CAN BE UPSCALED to 1080P on both consoles.

Just curious, what was the source for this? No upscaling for the demo on the PS3, but what about the final?

Mamesj

Banned
Danielsan said:
even the first sub-boss (Hell Vanguard) in DMC3 was harder than that.

lies, the vanguard had two attack patterns, both of which were simple to dodge on the first try. when you get Berial down to about a 1/4 health, he gets up to a pretty normal difficulty level and you can't just rush him.

the fact that there are more green orbs in that area than in the entire DMC series combined makes it extremely easy as well (so you're not forced to time your attacks perfectly.)

antiloop

I am curious how the demo (framerate) compares with the full game. Funny how no one seems to have played the full version yet here.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
That fire boss, oh SNAP he killed me, but not before i slammed his head in the floor. :D

Yes this is the GAME to get!!!!

sprocket

Banned
sionyboy said:

not hard I beat him on the first run though. just stick to his head.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
welcome me to the dmc love wagon.

i'm completely green to the series, but have been quite interested since dmc3 came out and got great reviews/impressions here . people even compared it favorably to ninja gaiden, many saying it was even better (what EP/drohne says about action games or shooters is as good as gold in my book).

i'm not convinced of that yet, but i LOVE this demo. the combat, graphics, presentation are all top notch stuff.

Teknoman

Wow I just found out you can uppercut the hell out of em with the devil bringer once you douse his flames. Thats pretty nice. Some QTE's with the bringer would've been nice.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Whoa, I killed the fire boss. Damn I love this game!!

Teknoman said:
Wow I just found out you can uppercut the hell out of em with the devil bringer once you douse his flames. Thats pretty nice. Some QTE's with the bringer would've been nice.

In a DMC game???????? Blasphemy!!!

So far I have mixed feeling about the demo. The first timed level I found extremely boring. Generic boring stage design and characters do not add up to fun. However the second section is fucking amazing.

I killed Berial on my first attempt but my health was really low. I imagine I can do much better next time I play it, which I've been waiting to do but my friends won't stop PLAYING FUCKING OBLIVION

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I went home for lunch and started the download on PSN and it finished within 20mins and started downloading the club demo lol.

Narag

Teknoman said:

God no.

Kyoufu

Killed Berial in 74 seconds......

Head slashes, then 2 Busters when the flames are down. He gets back up and is pissed, does area fire attack that you cant get hit by because it wont reach you, so what you do is charge up full Exceed while he does that. Then go in for round 2 and bam, hes gone.

What a pussy. I think HVG gave me more trouble at first, then again I wasn't playing as Nero back then, he is too awesome with his Snatch.

Teknoman

RyuHayate said:
Agreed. That'd take me right out of the experience. Tossing that fiery beast's ass into the air and knocking him back in mid-air is awesome enough for me!

Well I probably should've been a little clear, I meant like when crossing a bridge or something. Instead of just kicking back watching Nero or Dante rebound off everything, maybe press a button here or there during it. I dont really like QTE's during boss battles, but just in the environment is nice.

Maybe i've been playing Umbrella Chronicles too much.

Narag

RyuHayate said:
Agreed. That'd take me right out of the experience. Tossing that fiery beast's ass into the air and knocking him back in mid-air is awesome enough for me!

In one of the previous threads, someone I can't remember (C- Warrior or MickeyKnox maybe?) made the case that DMC gives the "cinematic feel" of the QTE without resorting to handholding and I tend to agree with that notion.

RyuHayate

Teknoman said:
Instead of just kicking back watching Nero or Dante rebound off everything, maybe press a button here or there during it.

Not a bad idea, actually. If anything, I'd like to see something like that in DMC5 (it'd be a great way for players to get a few extra red orbs or something if they pull everything off correctly although I don't the player shouldn't be punished for trying, either), but only in cut-scenes where assess are being kicked.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Teknoman said:

2vlv6m0.gif

Grayman

Just tried this now. On my second run of the time demo I got up to the berial fight and had him where he smolders just as the clock ran out.

Second time I did the frost fight I was up to the very top of the A bar, not great but better than C. Unfortunately Berial beat the shit out of me that time once I had his health low.

Going to hit up post 7 and learn some basics.

The demo is set to human mode right? All the enemies in the timed section are really really easy.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Yay! ^^ Just nabbed it off the JPN store, had a go, and now I can sleep easy. Feels very solid, just like DMC3 did once I got used to that.

Just gonna join in crying about the timer... I like to go at my own pace even in demos. Cutting me off after a single stage is fine, but let me do it in 20mins!

Still not quite getting the charge thingy... will read up and have another go this weekend. Fun :D

Grayman

B-Genius said:
Yay! ^^ Just nabbed it off the JPN store, had a go, and now I can sleep easy. Feels very solid, just like DMC3 did once I got used to that.

Just gonna join in crying about the timer... I like to go at my own pace even in demos. Cutting me off after a single stage is fine, but let me do it in 20mins!

Still not quite getting the charge thingy... will read up and have another go this weekend. Fun :D
Well if you go through it quickly you can get to the end of the non timed level(maybe even finish it?) so there is enough time to explore around in multiple play sessions of it.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Finally, finally got to play the demo after being out all day, being sick like a dog with the flu, taking an evening nap because of my headache, and now I'm back...

First off, the game looks crisp and stunning running at 1080p via VGA on my 360 - some bad textures here and there that are around, but the overall package at 60fps, no tearing or slowdown is quite impressive - kudos to Capcom for providing something that's rare this gen...

Now for the gameplay - I know it's a demo, but damn it's easy. Those sack guys still embody everything I disliked about the AI in the DMC series - they stand there waiting to die, serving themselves up to my combo meter... great for me to practice all of my moves and get the gameplay down in no time for someone who never owned the series, but there's no rewarding feeling after a battle at all...

The snow guys surprised me at first since they actually attack and block, but abuse of the Devil Bringer and keeping a two foot distance at all times makes me take them all out in one combo without being touched - I like grabbing, spinning and chucking them across the map/into each other though, but still, can be beaten with no problems after your first encounter with them...

Finally, Berial - very impressive-looking boss I must say, but again, high-abusabel - he beat me the first two times because near the end with three tiny blocks left in his life bar, he'll go crazy with his wild slashes, and I'd get hit from behind him even when it looked like I was nowhere near his sword - that annoyed me, so what did I find out after messing with him?

I could just pull myself to his head, slash three times, jump off his back while going around him, rinse and repeat - even his jumping twirl slash never touched me with that - the only time he would touch me was when I'd mess up and do a downward slash, and then he'd hit me immediately - luckily I had him pinned to one area so that when he finally did hit me, I lured him over to a house and made him break it, filled those two blocks of life back, and did the combo again, beating him with full life - it was cool slamming his head into the ground and knocking him around like a ragdoll though... heh...

So all in all, it was enjoyable, but it was still not for me - they really need to work on that camera, it was really annoying, especially in the tight areas (frequent breaking ups and cutscenes were annoying as well) and even while fighting Berial on foot the first time the camera got me hit a lot of times because I'd have him lined up and ready to roll sideways from his slash, but then he'd move and then camera would shift and make me roll backwards instead, getting me hit - grrrrr...

I had zero problems with the RB button, so as expected, it comes down to what you're used to - if you've been playing with the 360 controller for ages, it is totally not an issue - I would like to switch the gun and sword buttons around for some reason though, probably because of what I'm used to with Ninja Gaiden, and the gun seems useless to me other than keeping the combo going and enemies in the air... revving idea is cool, but I guess it's because I don't have that rev-canceling timing down yet, but it almost seems not worth pressing all those buttons yet - might play again tomorrow afternoon to practice it some more I guess, although I think I've played enough of the demo...

Also, they really, really need a run button desperately for this game - LB does nothing, so why not set it to that instead? It takes too long to get Nero to running speed - sometimes you already reach the other end of the room and the door before he starts to run - I forsee that being really tedious for the backtracking that I've been reading about in the two reviews so far...

I've been keeping up with the entire thread while I was out actually, and I found it pretty funny - especially certain people's posts - just get which version you like really - I see differences, but there's no need to get all hissy about them, especially if you say you have both consoles...

Kyoufu

Skilotonn said:
Also, they really, really need a run button desperately for this game - LB does nothing, so why not set it to that instead? It takes too long to get Nero to running speed - sometimes you already reach the other end of the room and the door before he starts to run - I forsee that being really tedious for the backtracking that I've been reading about in the two reviews so far...

LB/L1 is reserved for his Devil Trigger and R2 is for weapon change. I do agree, I wish we could run with a single button press :(

Atrus

Gold Member
Since this is going off the HDD is it representative of the load times in the final version once installed? While the loads are small I do wish they were faster, but I'm content its better than the PS2 ones at least.

Demo is probably on the beginning difficulty which seems to be almost DMC2 level, but you can see the hints of the higher difficulties in the lack of aggression shown and the large arena spaces filled with green orbs that go by unused.

Not quite clued in as to how the L2 charges work in relation to everything else, but overall a great demo.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Kyoufu said:
LB/L1 is reserved for his Devil Trigger and R2 is for weapon change. I do agree, I wish we could run with a single button press :(

Ah, okay thanks...

Maybe a double tap forward or something then...

Does anyone else get really horrible lines, mainly in the blank skies of the snowy portion of the demo? I've had my Samsung 32" since last May but recently realized that I have yet to properly calibrate it. I don't know if that's the problem, or if it's just the game.

In any case I suppose I should calibrate it regardless. Any good tutorial sites on how to go about doing this? I'm just trying to see if I can get rid of the lines myself.

near

Gold Member
Kyoufu said:
Killed Berial in 74 seconds......

Head slashes, then 2 Busters when the flames are down. He gets back up and is pissed, does area fire attack that you cant get hit by because it wont reach you, so what you do is charge up full Exceed while he does that. Then go in for round 2 and bam, hes gone.

What a pussy. I think HVG gave me more trouble at first, then again I wasn't playing as Nero back then, he is too awesome with his Snatch.

Awesome. 74 seconds :lol sweet. I'd laugh all day if I managed to kill it that quick.

Quazar

brandonh83 said:
Does anyone else get really horrible lines, mainly in the blank skies of the snowy portion of the demo? I've had my Samsung 32" since last May but recently realized that I have yet to properly calibrate it. I don't know if that's the problem, or if it's just the game.

In any case I suppose I should calibrate it regardless. Any good tutorial sites on how to go about doing this? I'm just trying to see if I can get rid of the lines myself.

I noticed some screen tearing in that snow stage.

sprocket

Banned
Teknoman said:
Also holy crap the cutscenes on the PS3 version are 60fps. That is a pretty big difference.

Example: The scene where you walk into the room and several monsters rise from the floor around you, when the Ice Demons appear for the first time, or the first time you walk into the building to look for the drawbridge switch. Seriously if you own both systems check that out. During the 60 fps cutscenes, sometimes it drops back down to 360 version cutscene fps for abit, but for the most part it sticks to 60fps.

After playing the 360 version and making my way through the PS3 version demo...thats about the only difference I see image wise, not that it's a deal breaker of any sort, but it's still there...so whatever.

go into that room on both the ps3 and 360 youll notice the 360 floor SHIMMERS .. where as the ps3 floor does not. There is clearly some extra filtering going on there.

Same thing in the very next scene the static shadow is rougher in the 360 version than the ps3. also still AA is better on the ps3 version for me.

I am going to try to take some pics.

Ciel

sionyboy said:

With the new arm, this was by far the easiest DMC boss for me. I haven't played 2.

Teknoman

sprocket said:
go into that room on both the ps3 and 360 youll notice the 360 floor SHIMMERS .. where as the ps3 floor does not. There is clearly some extra filtering going on there.

Same thing in the very next scene the static shadow is rougher in the 360 version than the ps3. also still AA is better on the ps3 version for me.

I am going to try to take some pics.

Yeah I knew it was something off when I went in there on the PS3 version. Also though things do look abit sharper on the 360 version, it's not that big a deal either way.

So really final verdict:

All DMC fans should be estatic no matter what system they get the game on.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
brandonh83 said:

yeah, there's a lot of color banding in the fog there, and it's much too severe to be produced by a tv -- my bravia (like most lcds) can exhibit some banding, but nothing like that

it's in both versions, btw

doicare

Wow, wow, wow, im really impressed, the graphics are great and the devil arm adds so much more to the game. The only thing left to decide on is which version to get 360 or ps3.

Top Bottom