• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

antiloop

Teknoman said:
Hmm now that I look at this picture and the 360 picture, it looks like the PS3 has some kinda filter on it. everything looks a little less sharp but more colorful.

It has a blur filter or maybe it's upscaled dunno. Just try to add a blur layer to the 360 pic in photoshop. It looks almost the same.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I beat Berial on my third try. The only attack that hit me was his flame wave, which did a fuckton of damage each time. Even when I was in the air it hit me. Didn't know exactly how to evade or dodge that attack.

clav

Took me 3 minutes to get the game. Really fast speeds here in Illinois.

So-so demo. Scenes seem pre-rendered. Controls are a little stiff. Seems more like a PS2-PS3 end.

I hope the final game has better visuals.

Never played any of the DMC series.

Rimshot

I feel that the sword has been boosted, and that's a good thing if you ask me.

The sword wasn't used at all in my DMC3 playthrough, normal dual guns + acrobatics = insta win, worked throughout the game to stay in the air and shoot and worked on the bosses too, made the game too easy.

The first DMC was harder if you ask me, and also my favorite in the series so far, DMC 4 might take it's place. The sword there wasn't to much use except juggling the enemies up so one could make swizz cheese off them with the guns :)

The demo (might be easy/normal but still) it feels as if one can handle oneself with pretty much only the sword, specially if use the power up thingy (L2 button).

Choke on the Magic said:
I'm personally a big fan of the rumble. The playasia $5 and $10 coupon codes are good till Jan. 31 so I'd get on it if you want one. The codes are on the DS3 thread btw. I think Markmark is the poster of them.

Play asia doesn't ship sony products to europe =(

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Well on the difficulty hasn't it been said that the game ramps up the more you move forward!?? So I am not worried about that, now the thing is I cannot wait till I fucking play as Dante!

llTll

Banned
i have 2 questions. i am still downloading DMC4 from the japanese store. so i have to ask.
- is the game in english or japanese?

- is there any difference between both versions? like green/.red blood etc?

Rimshot

llTll said:
i have 2 questions. i am still downloading DMC4 from the japanese store. so i have to ask.
- is the game in english or japanese?

- is there any difference between both versions? like green/.red blood etc?

Game is in english, don't think there is any diff between the versions.

USD

Rimshot said:
I feel that the sword has been boosted, and that's a good thing if you ask me.

The sword wasn't used at all in my DMC3 playthrough, normal dual guns + acrobatics = insta win, worked throughout the game to stay in the air and shoot and worked on the bosses too, made the game too easy.
That's fucking crazy talk. It must have taken you an eternity to kill stuff. If anything it should be the other way around.

Eteric Rice

DGRP said:
First time playing the demo, probably would be my last.

It was okay, nothing amazing but okay.

Same feelings.

Might get it when it drops a little in price. It should be a fun slasher like the others. :D

Rimshot

USD said:
That's fucking crazy talk. It must have taken you an eternity to kill stuff. If anything it should be the other way around.

Not really. Too bad I don't have the usb to memory card thingy, could check my play through time on the save that way. Since I sold my ps2 to get the japanese ps3 when it came there.

mileS

DJ Sl4m said:
Gameplay: 4/10 This isn't next gen gameplay at all, in fact it would have bored me to death last gen as well.

Overall: 5/10

Let's hear other impressions on the demo, I understand it can be fixed a little before release of the full game, but so far I'm not liking it at all. I'm going to pass on purchasing this last gen gameplay.

First of all, nothing is going to be fixed... the game is out on Feb. 5th so its not like they have time to fix anything, the game is done.

how about providing some examples of that "last gen gameplay" Thats probably the dumbest shit i've heard on GAF in a long time. Grats on that.

MonkeyLicker

Art does not make 60FPS @ 1080i with real world physics on the PSf*ckin2.
antiloop said:
It has a blur filter or maybe it's upscaled dunno. Just try to add a blur layer to the 360 pic in photoshop. It looks almost the same.

According to Quaz51 on beyond 3d (a pixel counter) they're both 720p.

Rimshot

mileS said:
First of all, nothing is going to be fixed... the game is out on Feb. 5th so its not like they have time to fix anything, the game is done.

how about providing some examples of that "last gen gameplay" Thats probably the dumbest shit i've heard on GAF in a long time. Grats on that.

Isn't the demo the same build as they used in E3 and before? Doesn't have to be taken from the latest build of the game. Anyways, I didn't find any real things to complain on, thought the demo was awesome :)

near

Gold Member
mileS said:

That demo isnt new, its actually quite old now. I personally thought the demo was good, and hopefully the final thing will be better.

mileS

Airkiru said:
That demo isnt new, its actually quite old now.

Did I say it was new? no pretty sure I didn't... What exactly would they fix anyway? does he expect them to "fix" that "last gen gameplay" for final release?

spwolf

Never played DMC before and DMC4 PS3 demo looked pretty good. Graphics are fine, controls are fine, I can see myself enjoying it a lot.

Yeah, I could nitpick it to hell if I wished, but there is no reason to. I enjoyed the demo.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
mileS said:
Did I say it was new? no pretty sure I didn't... What exactly would they fix anyway? does he expect them to "fix" that "last gen gameplay" for final release?

Yeah that whole last gen gameplay comment it bullshit if you go buy that every fucking game is last gen shit.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Ken Masters said:
I dled the PS3 demo earlier today and after a couple run through I can say the graphics are definitely a disappointment

Not for me. When they showed dmc4 for the first time I was disappointed, mainly because it didn't quit live up to the teaser they were showing before. But I'm actually impressed by the graphics after playing this demo. There's not much to complain about. And as far as I can tell, the 360 version and ps3 version are identical. Anyone who is nitpicking the minor differences(if any) are fools. I own both systems and played both demo's. I thus far has played mainly on xbox because I chat alot with my friends. Awesome demo.

Minsc

Gold Member
Blimblim said:
Here is my captured version of Minsc picture:
http://images.gamersyde.com/misc/dmc4ps3.jpg
Mine is a tad brighter, but otherwise it's exactly the same level of detail.
Game is very smooth, but I was surprised by the minute slowdowns during cutscenes.

The pictures were posted in this thread before I commented about them, I just wanted to throw in my thoughts, but I didn't realize the likelihood that they were fanboy fodder and apologize for the short-sightedness.

On the other hand, your picture does look very similar to the PS3 one I commented on, so I sort of still want to stand by my opinion (the 360 version looks sharper texture-wise, AF and all that, but who knows, maybe that was over-sharpened in the PNG), but I really don't care enough to figure this mess out any more!

Enjoy the game everyone, i hope to as well in due time :)

near

Gold Member
mileS said:

No I was just saying that since the demo isn't new, it could have been altered from when it was released.

Choke on the Magic said:
That's fucking tardtastic! Why the fuck not?

I believe it's because Sony sued Lik-sang out of business for selling PSPs to Europe before it came out here so now most Japanese retailers are slow to sell Playstation stuff to Europe. www.yesasia.com sell DS3s to Europe though. I got mine there.

inner-G said:
You might try yesasia or ncsx.

Thanks, but I've got mine on the way. I live in the US. I was just expressing my distaste for asian retailers showing no love to europe. I look at it from the standpoint that if the US can import stuff before it's released here why can't europe. Makes no sense.

Rimshot

Choke on the Magic said:
Thanks, but I've got mine on the way. I live in the US. I was just expressing my distaste for asian retailers showing no love to europe. I look at it from the standpoint that if the US can import stuff before it's released here why can't europe. Makes no sense.

Yeah, I've been trying to make sense of that a long time :(

Teknoman

Also holy crap the cutscenes on the PS3 version are 60fps. That is a pretty big difference.

Example: The scene where you walk into the room and several monsters rise from the floor around you, when the Ice Demons appear for the first time, or the first time you walk into the building to look for the drawbridge switch. Seriously if you own both systems check that out. During the 60 fps cutscenes, sometimes it drops back down to 360 version cutscene fps for abit, but for the most part it sticks to 60fps.

After playing the 360 version and making my way through the PS3 version demo...thats about the only difference I see image wise, not that it's a deal breaker of any sort, but it's still there...so whatever.

The controls of course feel a little better using the good ol dual shock/sixaxis for DMC action. But thats the same way I felt when playing Ninja Gaiden using the PS3 controller, that just felt better with the 360 controller/original controller style.

RandomXTX

I thought the demo was good as far as demos go. Not too hard not too easy. And not overwhelming for those new to the series. I think it will do well on both consoles.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
RandomXTX said:
I thought the demo was good as far as demos go. Not too hard not too easy. And not overwhelming for those new to the series. I think it will do well on both consoles.

Well for some reason the first time I fought the Ice monsters I had trouble cause I went blind not know what I could do with the devil bring but after that I made those Ice things into personal bitches!

BlacKMaRK

Banned
any body have any tips for some bitchin combos??

ive pulled a few but ill be dammed if i can repeat them at will...

and ive got 2 strikes against berial =/

Difficulty chart courtesy of Capcom:

33moc40.jpg

Teknoman said:
Also holy crap the cutscenes on the PS3 version are 60fps. That is a pretty big difference.

the problem is that they're not locked at 60fps. you can easily see how inconsistent the framerate is in the cutscene right before you fight the frosts (i.e. when the bridge is collapsing).

Teknoman

WickedLaharl said:
the problem is that they're not locked at 60fps. you can easily see how inconsistent the framerate is in the cutscene right before you fight the frosts (i.e. when the bridge is collapsing).

Yeah made sure to toss that in the edited post as well.

Top Bottom