• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Wizman23

Banned
Does anyone think this game is pure crap like me? I hate the Resident Evil style type camera and the enemies just stand there and let you go to town on them. This feels like a PS2 game with a fresh coat of paint.

Wizman23 said:
Does anyone think this game is pure crap like me? I hate the Resident Evil style type camera and the enemies just stand there and let you go to town on them. This feels like a PS2 game with a fresh coat of paint.

Resident Evil style camera? Buh?

RyuHayate

Wizman23 said:
This feels like a PS2 game with a fresh coat of paint.

What in the flying fuck does that even mean? Christ, comments like this are ridiculous.

It's like every goddamn game on released on 360 or PS3 and it has to be the second coming of Christ to qualify as "next gen."

Aladuf

Banned
Just finished the demo, I've never played a DMC game before but I have to say that I loved the demo and I'll definetly be picking this up for the PS3 when it comes out.

RyuHayate said:
What in the flying fuck does that even mean? Christ, comments like this are ridiculous.

He means it plays old, but looks pretty. But essential every game is that, only a few games are truly innovative. The thing is, if they changed too much, they would lose long time fans.

Narcosis

Ace 8095 said:
For a person who has never played DMC before this demo was unsatisfying. Sure the game is pretty but I just don’t understand the combat. It seems I’ve been left out in the cold on how to make the game fun. I will rent the game because I am a fan of Ninja Gaiden, so hopefully I will be able to enjoy it when I get to play the game the right way.

The key to DMC sweetness is in the harder difficulties. This demo was definetly catered to people used to the ease of games released in the past few years and who probably shied away frm games like Ninja Gaiden or Devil may Cry 3 because of the well known complaints about the difficulty.
The difficulty level shown in this demo is along the lines of something a newbie to DMC or action games in this style might play to get a feel for things, but those wanting the full experience shuld definetly play through the higher difficulty settings where th enemy AI behaves more aggressively.

Kyoufu

Does anyone else think, just from playing the demo that this is the best DMC game yet? Of course I already knew it would be when they revealed style switching but just as playing with Nero I'm feeling all tingly and excited for a game. I haven't felt like this in a long long time.

DMC IS BACK!

RyuHayate

FilosopherStoner said:
He means it plays old, but looks pretty. But essential every game is that, only a few games are truly innovative. The thing is, if they changed too much, they would lose long time fans.

I know, but every game is like that. Every game released so far this gen has just another "fresh coat of paint" on it. I just don't get why people specifically make DMC4 the primary example of it.

RyuHayate said:
I know, but every game is like that. Every game released so far this gen has just another "fresh coat of paint" on it. I just don't get why people specifically make DMC4 the primary example of it.

I agree, I don't know why either.

Kyoufu said:
Does anyone else think, just from playing the demo that this is the best DMC game yet? Of course I already knew it would be when they revealed style switching but just as playing with Nero I'm feeling all tingly and excited for a game. I haven't felt like this in a long long time.

DMC IS BACK!

It's the first one I've played, full disclosure, but holy crud I love the hell out of it. Graphically stunning and varied, fun for a button masher like me.

Like I said, my only beef is the camera wonkiness. Everything else is magical.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Mrbob said:
Probably, since the L1 and R1 buttons are way better than the bumpers on the 360 controller plus the DMC game is made for the Playstation controller. Haven't played the PS3 version yet myself.

Having said this, the X360 controls are workable.
Wait until you get your DS3? It definitely helped me make the decision....DOH! Yeah, I got it!

sprocket

Banned
This is my last post in this thread! yay!

you can see how the shadows and textures are a bit rougher in the 360 version. Like i said before the 360 textures shimmer where as the ps3 version doesnt. the ps3 version seems to have a layer of mip mapping the 360 doesnt.

ps3:

360:

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The game looks insane, I must admit. Despite having spent a lot of time on the PC as of late, seeing visuals like this at 60 fps is really impressive. One of the nicest looking games I've played. It has the visual quality of Gears of War (some ways better, some ways worse) while running at twice the framerate (of the 360 version of Gears). Plays great too.

RyuHayate said:
I don't understand why people get upset over it, but there have been plenty of games doing things that weren't possibel last gen or the gen before. DMC4 is very much just a graphical upgrade of a sequel, but there isn't a damn thing wrong with that. It's still fun as hell.

belvedere said:
That sucks about the 360 framerate. The PS3 version seemed pretty smooth on my first go at it.

What happened with the frame rate? Are the PS3 cutscenes solid at 60 while the 360 ones aren't? That was the only frame inconsistency I noticed on the 360 demo.

Mrbob

DenogginizerOS said:
Wait until you get your DS3? It definitely helped me make the decision....DOH! Yeah, I got it!

What! You got your DS3 today? How did you get yours before me?!?! Haha I'm jealous! I'm about half the country trip than you! Of course your shipment is mostly a straight shot where mine has to veer off to the north.

Teknoman

FilosopherStoner said:
I agree, I don't know why either.

Wait till Ninja Gaiden II and God of War III release... I have a feeling a ton of people are going to say that about those two, no matter how amazing they may be.

Demo of the year, holy hell this is going to be so sweet!!!!

Nero feels like Dante from DMC1, not many moves but its fun to play with. But then there is the devil bringer which changes up the fighting a lot. I cannot wait to see the crazy combos you can come up with, I love slashing them up to the air, slash a few times, throw them to the floor, pick them back up and shoot them as I fall, then end it with a foward slash. The first area looked beautiful, enemies were very simple, a lot more DMC1 than 3. The second section was excellent, the boss battle is everything I love about DMC bosses. Once again the bringer comes into play as you fly all around the giant beast, love it.

The difficulty is rather easy, the regular enemies don't do much of anything, that gets fixed as you play on harder modes. The boss was great though, even at that difficulty. I think they found a nice middle ground between the locations and style of DMC1 with the action of DMC3, which I have not seen yet but its in there. Overall I like Nero, the arm makes playing as him interesting, but give me Dante and the DMC3 system, thats when the game will shine.

While playing now I just found out you can charge your gun, cool. I have been trying to get better and better against the boss to do the whole demo in 10 minutes. Also I did a red orb run where I tried to get as many orbs as possible. My highest for now is 7518, beat that guys. Is the charge for the sword even worth it, doesn't seem to do much extra damage, maybe some new moves will become available at the different charges?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Mrbob said:
What! You got your DS3 today? How did you get yours before me?!?! Haha I'm jealous! I'm about half the country trip than you! Of course your shipment is mostly a straight shot where mine has to veer off to the north.
I pulled into the driveway and saw the box and thought, "Oh man! It is here! Oh man, Bob will be pissed."

Mrbob

Teknoman said:
Wait till Ninja Gaiden II and God of War III release... I have a feeling a ton of people are going to say that about those two, no matter how amazing they may be.

Oh yeah there will be a battle royal for sure. And NG2 will win. :D Too bad MS locked it up as exclusive for 360.

I pulled into the driveway and saw the box and thought, "Oh man! It is here! Oh man, Bob will be pissed."
DenogginizerOS

I am, I am! Hopefully mine comes tommorrow.

KTallguy

Banned
Wizman23 said:

I can see where you're coming from. The basic gameplay is nothing that couldn't have been done on the PS2. However when you start facing off against many, many enemies, or when the huge buildings break apart in the boss fight, that's definitely something that would be impossible on the PS2.

Teknoman said:

Did you hear the latest 1up show, they essentially tore NG2 a new one for not being "fresh enough."

Also, for those saying it was easy -- did you bother to fight the boss on the other mode?

sprocket said:
This is my last post in this thread! yay!

you can see how the shadows and textures are a bit rougher in the 360 version. Like i said before the 360 textures shimmer where as the ps3 version doesnt. the ps3 version seems to have a layer of mip mapping the 360 doesnt.

ps3:

360:

That just looks like the 360 version has a much higher contrast to me. Resolution on textures and shadows looks the same to me.

ManaByte

Kabuki Waq said:
com bat was fun but man the regular enemies are still brain dead combo fodder.

I agree. Don't get the spooging over the game. Looked great (PS3 ver), but seemed to be more of the same really.

Kyoufu

C- Warrior said:
Did you hear the latest 1up show, they essentially tore NG2 a new one for not being "fresh enough."

Also, for those saying it was easy -- did you bother to fight the boss on the other mode?

I fought him on both modes with both having the same outcomes. He is way too easy once you get to grips with the game. If I could change the button config it would be even easier!

Of course, this doesn't matter until we get to try DMD mode where the bosses will have new and different attack patterns.

Ok look, it's a demo, and early in the game... the enemies are not going to be like this in the final version. If you don't believe me, check it out and play on a harder difficulty. See what happens.

Narag

KTallguy said:
I can see where you're coming from. The basic gameplay is nothing that couldn't have been done on the PS2. However when you start facing off against many, many enemies, or when the huge buildings break apart in the boss fight, that's definitely something that would be impossible on the PS2.

The real time style switching might help the argument for "next-gen" gameplay. It'll open up a huge moveset for Dante.

Bebpo

Banned
Kyoufu said:

DMC IS BACK!

No, no, no, no way.

I'm a big DMC fan and I think DMC3 is pretty much the best action game ever made. If DMC4 was just DMC3 but in HD with new weapons/bosses I would have been perfectly fine with that. Instead we get a game that throws in some new interesting things and makes some of what made DMC3 rock less good.

Improvements:
+Devil Arm and Rev Gauge add more to the mix
+Better graphics

Worsenings:
-3d camera works much worse than the generally fixed camera. I hate having to re-center the camera during fights or after to find the door. I never had to do that in DMC3. I could just concentrate on the action.
-You move slower and have to cover more ground so the speed of the game is stop and pop instead of non-stop action.
-Enemy groups are smaller with shorter respawns so it's even more stop and pop instead of nice sessions of combo-ing.
-Nero having only 1 weapon change button is a little disappointing in terms of attack variety since he probably won't get as many weapons as Dante in DMC3
-Nero seems lame as hell in cutscenes. His one-liners suck and you just want to be playing as Dante because he's cooler, has a better character model, and has better gameplay.
-Dante doesn't have any new styles
-demo is really easy and lacks the intensity of DMC1/3
-game has TWO HOURS OF EMOTIONAL DRAMA STORY :(

Now the full version on hard may fix a lot of those things, but from only having played the demo it definitely feels a step back in depth/variety/intensity/action/fun/coolness/bosses. Hopefully the full version is where it's at.

sprocket

Banned
WHOAguitarninja said:
That just looks like the 360 version has a much higher contrast to me. Resolution on textures and shadows looks the same to me.

besides the shimmering textures of the 360 version they are nearly Identical. 360 does have the better ice effect though. Fire looks a tad better on the ps3.

crap i posted again .. ok this was it :p

Mrbob

Enemies in DMC games have always had the dynasty warriors syndrome to a degree. I don't see what the problem is now. DMC4 isn't a complete reinvention of the series.

At least I wasn't going crazy at thinking the camera in DMC4 is slightly worse than DMC3.

Gowans

dino.jpeg

Just came back into this thread and :O
some of you guys should be ashamed of yourselves!

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I just played it right now and wow...this is fucking awesome. I don't know what the hell some of the other people are talking about but damn I'm glad I pre-ordered this.

pr0cs

nice looking game but defo not my baggie.
the whole concept to me feels a bit off but then I don't have the nostalgia or experience the others have.
+beautiful
+high framerate
- lame character design
- bad voice acting
- enemy AI seems pretty stupid
pass for me

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
awesome demo -- i think i've played through it a dozen times, and i've gotten pretty close to beating berial (which should probably be 'belial') within the time limit. the devil bringer makes it really easy to keep varied combos going...using it well makes all the difference against the frosts. can't wait to try it out against some tougher enemy packs. i've got the hang of 'just revving' after helm breakers and...whatever the dash is called now, but i still have a hard time working it into the basic combo. OMG OMG OMG CAN'T WAIT

i've been switching back and forth between the two versions -- just because i can -- and while i can spot a few visual advantages for each version, but they're really as close two versions on two different platforms are ever going to be. i think these comparisons are fun, but in dmc4's case they're purely academic.

pr0cs said:
nice looking game but defo not my baggie.
the whole concept to me feels a bit off but then I don't have the nostalgia or experience the others have.
+beautiful
+high framerate
- lame character design
- bad voice acting
pass for me

- lame character design
opinion, I guess, arguing about this will go nowhere, so I'll respect that

- bad voice acting
thank god, it usually adds a lot of humor and charm to the experience, ala Resident Evil

it's a demo and I'm here to say it won't be representative of how the enemies will behave

I'm not having a problem adjusting to the 360 controller for DMC after being used to it on the Dual Shock for years before. I will admit that the face buttons for the 360 controller aren't as friendly for rapid-fire input as the Dual Shock and Sixaxis, but I'm not a heavy combo player. So, it doesn't affect me. Also, now that the Sixaxis and Dual Shock 3 have god forsaken triggers where my precious L2/R2 buttons were before, I don't think I'd have an easier time holding down the lock-on button on the PS3 version now. The placement of R1 / RB are equally problematic for my big ol' manhands. I'll just have to deal with that, though.

Mojovonio said:
So first the 360 version looked and ran better.

Now its the other way around?

Depends on the time of day.

Draft

Are you supposed to be able to rev the sword in mid-combo? I am having trouble getting the timing down.

I like the arm mechanic a lot.

C- Warrior said:

Yeah, I actually was a bit underwhelmed by the time trial, before I tried the boss fight. After playing the boss once and dying after nearly killing him I tried again and this is when my eyes where truly opened to the combo-orgasmic awesomeness that is next-gen DMC!

The second round I literally did not stop attacking! With a few grapples and dodges sprinkled about, I actually had to pause the game to give my hand a second to breath! :lol

I killed the boss in a couple minutes and it was awwwesome!

Russian Steve said:
Yeah, I actually was a bit underwhelmed by the time trial, before I tried the boss fight. After playing the boss once and dying after nearly killing him I tried again and this is when my eyes where truly opened to the combo-orgasmic awesomeness that is next-gen DMC!

The second round I literally did not stop attacking! With a few grapples and dodges sprinkled about, I actually had to pause the game to give my hand a second to breath! :lol

I killed the boss in a couple minutes and it was awwwesome!

This is what the naysayers need to do.

RyuHayate

Draft said:
Are you supposed to be able to rev the sword in mid-combo? I am having trouble getting the timing down.

I like the arm mechanic a lot.

You gotta remain still and hold the right trigger long enough for it to charge up (don't keep pressing it; it's a common mistake). Once it starts decreasing, press and hold it again until the lamp is full.

Teknoman

brandonh83 said:
- lame character design
opinion, I guess, arguing about this will go nowhere, so I'll respect that

- bad voice acting
thank god, it usually adds a lot of humor and charm to the experience, ala Resident Evil

it's a demo and I'm here to say it won't be representative of how the enemies will behave

Exactly, taking the "bad" voice acting out of a DMC or RE game would be just like removing the VA from No More Heroes, or the "wahoos" from a Mario game. You just dont do it.

Top Bottom