• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

calder

Nice looking game, controls slick (although I hit X for the sword every single time, I just can't get my head around that) and the cutscenes are amazingly good looking. Not my kind of game at all though, I just button mashed through the first 10 minute part and got past the bridge (seriously, the clothing on the character models alone is :0 worthy in the cutscenes) and then died on the balrog demon guy. No desire to play the demo again though, but I may keep it on the HDD for a bit, it really is pretty damn gorgeous in a few areas.

No_Style

So is this a DMC4 love-fest or hate-fest thread? I didn't flip through the previous pages fearing some heart crushing comments by the haters. :/

Draft

RyuHayate said:
You gotta remain still and hold long enough for it to charge up (don't keep pressing the charge button). Once it starts decreasing, press and hold it again until the lamp is full.
Yes I was able to charge it up (3 bars?) but only when I was just standing there. I kind of figured it was going to be something you'd do mid-combo. I dunno.

Teknoman said:
Exactly, taking the "bad" voice acting out of a DMC or RE game would be just like removing the VA from No More Heroes, or the "wahoos" from a Mario game. You just dont do it.

Seriously RE1 wouldn't have been nearly as good if it didn't have shitty voice acting and writing. In fact I prefer the original to the remake because the dialogue and voice acting is still shitty, but it's not really... amusing... just plain.

Teknoman

Draft said:
Are you supposed to be able to rev the sword in mid-combo? I am having trouble getting the timing down.

I like the arm mechanic a lot.

Try this: 2 consecutive hits, press Rev (you'll see the meter do a quick 360 spin) then proceed with an attack right afterwards and there ya go. The easiest timing for Just Frame EX attacks seems to be after 2 hits.

pr0cs

brandonh83 said:
your and my taste in games (you loved Chrono Trigger, I despised it) means that my comments are going to grate with yours.
If you're happy with the demo then kudos, you have a new title to look forward to.

For me it was a disappointment, but I sort of new I wouldn't like it from the early movies I saw, I just hoped it was more "western" than what I saw, sadly the demo proved it wasn't.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
you can rev in mid-combo by tapping L2 at the right moment during a swing -- dahbomb wrote up a tutorial somewhere in this thread

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
my strategy against berial is just to jump, pull myself up to his head, slash three times, jump against his body, pull myself to his head again, repeat. i throw in gunshots here and there to build my combo meter or keep myself floating. he won't hit you often while you're in the air. you can of course throw him when his flames go out.

drohne said:
my strategy against berial is just to jump, pull myself up to his head, slash three times, jump against his body, pull myself to his head again, repeat. i throw in gunshots here and there to build my combo meter or keep myself floating. he won't hit you often while you're in the air. you can of course throw him when his flames go out.
Alright, sounds like I just have to practice keeping myself in the air with the devil bringer and the gun between slashes.

pr0cs said:
your and my taste in games (you loved Chrono Trigger, I despised it) means that my comments are going to grate with yours.
If you're happy with the demo then kudos, you have a new title to look forward to.

Well, we disagree about a couple of things, I don't think every opinion we have are going to conflict... merely coincidence and I don't mean to seemingly "pick" on you in a couple of threads. Sorry about that. But I do hope you give the final version a chance, I was just trying to explain that it's very likely a dumbed-down demo.

Kyoufu

darkressurection said:
I love this game so much, can't wait for the release. What are some tips for downing Berial? I always get him to 3 bars left then get wiped out.

I've posted it like twice before, but this is what you should do to down him quickly:

Before entering, Rev up to full Exceed. Initiate battle, jump up and use your arm to reach his head to begin attacking. Keep alternating between Melee and Jump to dish the damage, with the occasional Snatch here and there to keep yourself on his head. Remember, doing this, you will never hit the ground unless you need to. Soon his flames disappear and IMMEDIATELY jump up to his head and press Circle/B in the air to grab him and slam him. When he is down, use Streak then grab him again for another slam.

He'll be thrown into the far side out of your reach, charge up your Exceed as he orgasms around his radius (his attack won't reach you), then continue the onslaught.

This time watch out for the audio cue "DIE!". Thats when he'll use lava from the ground to hurt you. What you do here is run in one direction or keep jumping one direction. If you use jump to evade each lava attack your style meter will rise a little.

Rinse and repeat, and with any luck he'll go down in 2 minutes tops.

Kyoufu

darkressurection said:
Alright, sounds like I just have to practice keeping myself in the air with the devil bringer and the gun between slashes.

You dont need your gun to stay in the air. All you do is use your Devil Arm to reach back up to his head. Jump-cancelling on his head also allows you to stay afloat.

dralla

There's no reason to 'immediately' use the slam when his flames go out, hit him with a combo that ends with the Buster and you'll do extra damage. I use YY <-[Y] YY B, use exceed if you like as well.

Kyoufu

dralla said:
There's no reason to 'immediately' use the slam when his flames go out, hit him with a combo that ends with the Buster and you'll do extra damage. I use YY <-[Y] YY B, use exceed if you like as well.

Yeah I suppose, I'm just impatient and like to end things quickly. The quicker I kill him the less chance of him using that really annoying lava attack which disrupts my flow.

Earlier today he somehow used it 3 times in a row. "DIE!" x 3 was pretty intense hopping away from all of that lava.

Good boss fight, will probably be really enjoyable on harder difficulties.

Spasm

After being stuck at work all day reading the thread and looking at the pictures, I was sure the 360 one looked better. After finally playing each version, alternating every scene, I can honestly say it's futile trying to crown a winrar. Stuttering framerate (though rare) isn't exclusive to the 360, and the PS3 textures look just as high-res. Whichever version multi-system owners choose... is the right choice.

No_Style said:
So is this a DMC4 love-fest or hate-fest thread? I didn't flip through the previous pages fearing some heart crushing comments by the haters. :/

99.9% love the demo.

You'll have the few occasional dumbasses who judge the entire enemy roster based on the intro, demo, beginner enemies, as if they represent every single opponent in the game.

In fact, I think this is probably one of the few demos to get such universal praise.

Dr_Cogent said:
I'm pretty damn sensitive to visual anomolies in almost anything. I can see plenty of things my wife and others can't on the TV. The two versions look damn close to me, so IMO it appears to be nitpicking. I don't care if you guys are like that, but sometimes I think individuals here go way overboard on this shit.

I agree, think the visual differences are pretty close, but having said that I'd still like to thank all those who took the time to take and post screenshots of the differences, however minor. Having both systems I'd like to be able to make an informed choice on which version suits me best.

But visual differences aside, framerate stutters in areas where such slowdowns should not occur - we're not talking massive amount of effects or enemies, but instances where it should not stutter at all, e.g. facing off against a couple of enemies, running from one section to another - that to me is a huge deal. I will go for the smoother version with the most consistent frame rate everytime. It is an action game after all, where control and feel is everything. Which version will that be? According to the demo it'll be the 360 version. The final retail build might be improved on the PS3 version, but at this late in the game it seems impossible; for e.g. Burnout Paradise on the 360 received a marked improvement over the demo, but it's still not quite as smooth as the PS3 version.

Extremely easy way to just-rev attack

Understand the concept by trying this:

perform streak:

R1 + Foward + /\ -- now, at the end of Nero's slide, before he turns his hip to slash - about, tap L2 to just-rev. You'll see that one lamp meter was instantly charged.

Amazing how a simple but good gameplay idea can add so much to the norm. The Exceed system and a couple other things is what really separates this from the other games.

Synless

Spasm said:
After being stuck at work all day reading the thread and looking at the pictures, I was sure the 360 one looked better. After finally playing each version, alternating every scene, I can honestly say it's futile trying to crown a winrar. Stuttering framerate (though rare) isn't exclusive to the 360, and the PS3 textures look just as high-res. Whichever version multi-system owners choose... is the right choice.
Agreed

Gattsu25

Banned
More than pleasently surprised at the overabundant quality that the demo has. Every aspect of the game seems even more polished than in DMC3, and the controls are bliss.

Is there a way to up the difficulty level in the demo?

jvalioli

Just popped in to say that I actually managed to finish the 10 minute run. I know you guys are hardcore DMC fans, but this was quite the accomplishment for someone as bad at DMC as I am. Woo!

slade

For Berial, when his flames are out, grapple towards his head and once you're right in front of him, do the regular uppercut move with the arm. You'll be able to grab his head and shove him face first into the ground. You might even be able to do this when he is still surrounded by flames but everytime I've tried, he shakes me off. That move does more damage then hitting him up and then knocking him back when the flames are out.

Anyway, awesome demo. I want to play as Dante now.

Kyoufu

C- Warrior said:
Extremely easy way to just-rev attack

Understand the concept by trying this:

perform streak:

R1 + Foward + /\ -- now, at the end of Nero's slide, before he turns his hip to slash - about, tap L2 to just-rev. You'll see that one lamp meter was instantly charged.

An even easier way to Just-Rev attack as someone else pointed out earlier in the thread is:

/\ -> /\ -> L2

works everytime and monkey-proof timing.

maskrider

Blimblim said:
Here is my captured version of Minsc picture:
http://images.gamersyde.com/misc/dmc4ps3.jpg
Mine is a tad brighter, but otherwise it's exactly the same level of detail.
Game is very smooth, but I was surprised by the minute slowdowns during cutscenes.

Sorry for digging a somewhat old post, not intended for comparing between consoles.

Blim, also via component ?

The followings are 3 consecutive frames (close to where you took your screen) and each frame shows different sharpness because the camera is moving

http://z-o-g.org/imgs/misc/dmc4ps3-fr-0.jpg
http://z-o-g.org/imgs/misc/dmc4ps3-fr-1.jpg
http://z-o-g.org/imgs/misc/dmc4ps3-fr-2.jpg

Reading this thread it occurs to me that I have no idea how to play the game. I just wandered through the demo killing stuff... but some of you make it into an artform of button presses!

DeadGzuz

Banned
I tried both demos, they look very similar too me. I did remember why I won't be buying this game, can't stand DMC games. I'm a lightweight, I'll take GoW or HS any day.

Spasm said:

You are absolutely correct. I finally got a change to play both and you cannot go wrong. Another amazing multi-platform effort. Single platform owners aren't missing out on anything and multi-platform owners can make their choice based on controller, achievements, whatever.

Oh and I destroyed that boss my first try. Ha, ha, just thought I'd toot my own horn.

Hmm, tired the demo but i'm not quite sure if I like it or not. It may be because of the (lack of) difficulty, but I didn't find the combat all that rewarding. For one, it's a pain to have to hit "back" and triangle to get an enemy off the grown because the direction your back is facing is always changing. And once you get enemies up there and start a combo going, they die too quickly. Feels unsatisfying.

Kyoufu

_leech_ said:
Hmm, tired the demo but i'm not quite sure if I like it or not. It may be because of the (lack of) difficulty, but I didn't find the combat all that rewarding. For one, it's a pain to have to hit "back" and triangle to get an enemy off the grown because the direction your back is facing is always changing. And once you get enemies up there and start a combo going, they die too quickly. Feels unsatisfying.

The Frosts have more health, but yeah thats the demo's difficulty in effect right there. Harder difficulties open up bigger combo possibilities.

I just want to say this. I really like Capcom. I may not always like everything they put out but they've consistently made some of my favorite games over the years.

I loved the first Devil May Cry, didn't like the second, and for some reason could not get into the third one. The demo sold me on DMC4.

Mamesj

Banned
Psychotext said:
Reading this thread it occurs to me that I have no idea how to play the game. I just wandered through the demo killing stuff... but some of you make it into an artform of button presses!

Welcome to the world of DMC and NG :D there's tons of subtle things to learn about both games, which is why fans are so dedicated.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Nero's hair looks better on the 360! :D

With that said why is it taking forever to DL on PSN? It took me 15 mins on XBL

Top Bottom