• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Mamesj said:
Welcome to the world of DMC and NG :D there's tons of subtle things to learn about both games, which is why fans are so dedicated.
That's the odd thing... I'm a hardcore NG player but it wasn't immediately obvious to me that there was much combat depth here. I think I need a tutorial. :lol

Quazar

brandonh83 said:
They're saying 2 hours of cutscenes and roughly 15 hours of straight gameplay, not including how many times you die.

Not bad at all. Not sure if I'll get it day 1 yet though.

Psychotext said:
That's the odd thing... I'm a hardcore NG player but it wasn't immediately obvious to me that there was much combat depth here. I think I need a tutorial. :lol

I'd say the more you look into DMC's aesthetics, the more you'll be glad you took the time to look into it. I'm with you, when the first one came out I didn't really try to learn combos and how to actually play it, but when I did it turned into something almost completely different.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The JustEX windows are pretty small, and thinking about the timing on those while I'm also thinking about what combos to do, yeah, that's going to probably take most of the game for me to do it a small percentage of the time. Definitely makes a hell of a lot more sense than the basic Exceed charge method though.

Also, that you can charge Blue Rose during attacks is pretty neat. I'm warming up to Nero bit by bit.

Singho

RyuHayate said:
You gotta remain still and hold the right trigger long enough for it to charge up (don't keep pressing it; it's a common mistake). Once it starts decreasing, press and hold it again until the lamp is full.

You can do that or you can rev it mid combo. After the first slash click the LT as the swing is on the way down and you will hear a "Phreeeeeeee" sound effect of the lamp being lighted. The next attack will obv be the charged up version in the combo.

Just been messing about near the start of the Ice section close to the camera and have managed to string a number of EX lamps mid combo one after another, it's really satisfying to nail although I ain't got the timing down yet. At the same time you can be charging up your gun to have a final shot ready to be delievered to the dome of anyone still in your way.

Head was spinning at the start trying to keep fingers pressed on one and held on the other, was fun. :D

The only thing I'm having trouble with at the moment is jump cancelling. I can do it when the enemy is just standing about where I was practicing just to see if it still works, but when I take the battle mid air, I must be wrecking up the timing somthing rotten. Anyone else have any luck with it?

Psychotext said:
Reading this thread it occurs to me that I have no idea how to play the game. I just wandered through the demo killing stuff... but some of you make it into an artform of button presses!
Ha! Exact same situation for me. I was button mashing all the way through. I have no clue how it's supposed to be done. Game looks great and was fun to play, but the camera movement gave me a little bit of nausea, which I didn't enjoy. Not sure if I'll pick this one up.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
EviLore said:
The JustEX windows are pretty small, and thinking about the timing on those while I'm also thinking about what combos to do, yeah, that's going to probably take most of the game for me to do it a small percentage of the time. Definitely makes a hell of a lot more sense than the basic Exceed charge method though.

Also, that you can charge Blue Rose during attacks is pretty neat. I'm warming up to Nero bit by bit.
Yea playing as nero is a different but rewarding experience, and i wonder if i'll miss playing as him when you switch to dante in the actual game.

gconsole

Psychotext said:

The same to me. I didn't see much combat depth in Ninja Gaiden when I learn it a lot in DMC. I need more practice as well.

Kyoufu

EviLore said:

His gameplay is going to get deeper when you get access to his Devil Trigger, plus the rest of his moveset like the Blue Rose upgrades. Nero is definitely not a Vergil-esque-boss character-that-gets-old-quick.

Pimpwerx

I forgot how much I liked DMC games. Hadn't played since DMC2. Really fun shit. The combo system is better than I remembered. The game is pretty forgettable graphically, though. PEACE.

Played both simultaneously. 360 through component and PS3 through HDMI.

360 definitely has better AA and image quality in general. Didn't think it'd be very apparent but, well, there it was. PS3 seemed a little jaggy and a little darker....not quite as vibrant as the 360 version. HOWEVER the cinemas on the 360 seemed to be 30fps instead of the 60fps like on the PS3.

It took me about a minute to get my head around playing DMC with the 360 controller. The layout could use some adjusting imo but anyone that says it's unplayable with the controller is fucking retarded. I prefer the sixaxis but I gotta say that I like the rumble of the 360 pad and there does seem to be something missing when it's not there.

But whatever. It's a crap shoot.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I officially love throwing frosts around. Wow i didn't know the 10 min demo was also part of the second demo level. kewl.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Played both simultaneously. 360 through component and PS3 through HDMI.

360 definitely has better AA and image quality in general. Didn't think it'd be very apparent but, well, there it was. PS3 seemed a little jaggy and a little darker....not quite as vibrant as the 360 version. HOWEVER the cinemas on the 360 seemed to be 30fps instead of the 60fps like on the PS3.

It took me about a minute to get my head around playing DMC with the 360 controller. The layout could use some adjusting imo but anyone that says it's unplayable with the controller is fucking retarded. I prefer the sixaxis but I gotta say that I like the rumble of the 360 pad and there does seem to be something missing when it's not there.

But whatever. It's a crap shoot.

So can't go wrong with either version?

Z_Y

I take back anything bad I ever said about slow PSN downloads. I started downloading both the PS3 and 360 demos at the same time (welll...technically the PS3 version about 30 seconds earlier) and by the time I had downloaded and installed the PS3 demo...the 360 download was at 8%. :lol

Anywho, the game is awesome....beautiful on both consoles. But I think I am going to go with the PS3 version for 3 reasons:

1) It seemed the 360 version shimmied a little bit on some of the floors and I didn't notice this on the PS3 version. I'm going back to verify though. I've played the PS3 version twice for the 10 minute limit and once through on the 360. Is there an "end" to the demo or can you just go as far as time allows?

2) Controller. The lock-on trigger mapped to the bumper is an issue for me. Maybe I'd get used to it but I don't really have to in this case. I need to pick up the dual shock when it is released here though. Rumble felt really good on the 360 version. Funny how you don't really miss things until you see (feel) what you are missing.

3) Having the first 3 in my library....it would just feel...."odd" not having the PS version of 4. Yea...I know I'm weird.

Bebpo

Banned
Hey, so what sort of weapons will Nero be getting besides just hand upgrades? Swords or Guns?

In the first post I don't see any other weapons listed.

Z_Y said:
3) Having the first 3 in my library....it would just feel...."odd" not having the PS version of 4. Yea...I know I'm weird.

I'm the same way. Luckily I don't have a 360 so I don't have to worry about that.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
neojubei said:
So can't go wrong with either version?
People always need something to promote there system

In general...I wish that was my problem...60%!!!:lol One Day of fighting to get get in download. I'm so going devil trigger

Z_Y said:

I'm totally the same way. I went out and got all three GTAs used for Xbox, just so I could have a nice row of them when 4 comes out.

Kyoufu

Bebpo said:
Hey, so what sort of weapons will Nero be getting besides just hand upgrades? Swords or Guns?

In the first post I don't see any other weapons listed.

I think someone mentioned in the other DMC4 thread that he gets the Yamato in mission 6. Whether or not its part of his DT though I don't know.

Need confirmation on that.

Bebpo

Banned
Kyoufu said:
I think someone mentioned in the other DMC4 thread that he gets the Yamato in mission 6. Whether or not its part of his DT though I don't know.

Hmmm...yeah I can't imagine that you'd have to go through 50% of the game with only a pistol and generic sword. I'm hoping they're just hiding his weapons.

3 and 3 for Dante seems about right for 50% of a game. Maybe a little lacking, but pretty close. I'd be disappointed if Nero didn't have at least 3 weapons.

Kyoufu said:

Is the Yamato his insane and awesome briefcase?

Darkpen

Banned
all I can say is.... I wish there was more to the demo XD

Srsly, guys. After the first time I went through the first "mode" and time ran up, I thought I'd speed run to see how far I could go, and ended up Berial with 25 seconds to spare on my first try. Funny thing is, though, when I went to try the other "mode," I got killed by Berial like... 2 times before I finally beat him o_O

Using the non-R1 devilbringer move while in air on both the ice-dudes and Berial is awesome :O Reading up on the thread, I'm fascinated by people figuring out that you can actually rev up mid-combo and stuff D: I like how the game feels like DMC1, but so much better (and easier?)

Kyoufu

BenjaminBirdie said:

Only Dante gets those :(

Yamato is a weapon used by Dante's brother, Vergil in DMC3. It used to belong to the Legendary Dark Knight Sparda (their father).

Bebpo said:
Hmmm...yeah I can't imagine that you'd have to go through 50% of the game with only a pistol and generic sword. I'm hoping they're just hiding his weapons.

3 and 3 for Dante seems about right for 50% of a game. Maybe a little lacking, but pretty close. I'd be disappointed if Nero didn't have at least 3 weapons.

Me too, I don't want to use this sword the whole way through. Its nice and all, but the real fun from DMC3 came with all the different weapons. I mean, even a boss character like Vergil got 3 weapons.

Darkpen

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
The Yamato is Virgil's sword, seen in the DMC4 trailers released so far.

Kyoufu said:

Yamato is a weapon used by Dante's brother, Vergil in DMC3. It used to belong to the Legendary Dark Knight Sparda (their father).
....what are you talking about :| No it didn't

watership

Confession: Never played a DMC game. The only thing that irks me is the anciently contrived 'doors magically sealing me in with monster' thing. Hate it. Okay, back to it.

Kyoufu said:

Man I really wish the 360 version was coming with a recap disc.

gkryhewy

I failed against the Balrog - tried about 6 times. Made it through the ice things by 10 minutes no problem though. I need to learn a few more combos/moves, I think. Shooting seems incredibly weak - am I missing something?

Darkpen

Banned
Mojovonio said:
I still can't beat that fire demon.

I've tried grappling on to him and shooting at him while airborne, but I end up dying.

Ah well

gkrykewy said:
I failed against the Balrog - tried about 6 times. Made it through the ice things by 10 minutes no problem though. I need to learn a few more combos/moves, I think. Shooting seems incredibly weak - am I missing something?

Berial is easy. Basically, you want to grapple onto him to get to his head, mash the sword combo until its over, and grapple again. Just make sure you're not pressing forward when mashing the sword (and holding the lock-on at the same time), otherwise you'll do a downward slash, and that'll only mess you up. When his lights burn out, lock on and grab, let go of lock on and press grab again to do an aerial slam dunk. Now his head will be on the ground and grab again without locking on to do another major throw. Immedietly after, he'll do this AOE move where you need to mash jumping or something, or just get out of the way to avoid. From there, you rinse and repeat what you were doing before.

If your health goes down, just have him destroy some building and get the green orbs.

iplay5150

Just played both versions of the demo, and while I didn't notice any major graphical differences, there's a big difference when playing it on a 360 controller. My right hand is killing me. Resting my index finger on the bumper while going to town on the face buttons is not comfortable. PS3 version for me.

neojubei

Z_Y said:
I take back anything bad I ever said about slow PSN downloads. I started downloading both the PS3 and 360 demos at the same time (welll...technically the PS3 version about 30 seconds earlier) and by the time I had downloaded and installed the PS3 demo...the 360 download was at 8%. :lol

Anywho, the game is awesome....beautiful on both consoles. But I think I am going to go with the PS3 version for 3 reasons:

1) It seemed the 360 version shimmied a little bit on some of the floors and I didn't notice this on the PS3 version. I'm going back to verify though. I've played the PS3 version twice for the 10 minute limit and once through on the 360. Is there an "end" to the demo or can you just go as far as time allows?

2) Controller. The lock-on trigger mapped to the bumper is an issue for me. Maybe I'd get used to it but I don't really have to in this case. I need to pick up the dual shock when it is released here though. Rumble felt really good on the 360 version. Funny how you don't really miss things until you see (feel) what you are missing.

That's one of my reasons for picking the PS3 version. Just keeping it in the family.

Oh and when the DS3 comes out in NA maybe you should get it, I have the DS3 controller and it is great with this game.

gkryhewy

Mojovonio said:
yeah, playing with the 360 controller is a fucking chore.

But in the retail version you'll be able to remap RB to RT, so...

Darkpen said:
When his lights burn out, lock on and grab, let go of lock on and press grab again to do an aerial slam dunk.

Thanks, that's the step I was missing!

Kyoufu

gkrykewy said:

Early stage in the game where the Blue Rose hasn't recieved many upgrades. Later on in the game you'll pack more punch in your shots. For the demo, not worth using AT ALL. Unless you want to look cool that is.

Okay guys, since alot of you have never played a DMC game before and are struggling on Berial, here is a great video to help you: http://youtube.com/watch?v=2Lyqo4B0pm4

It teaches the art of J-Cancel. An invaluable technique that will help you destroy Berial. Learn it, love it, live it. (or something).

Once I get my capturing setup sorted I'll do some videos with Nero where you you can kill an enemy in the air the entire time and never have to touch the ground.

Watch the video and then try it.

neojubei

Darkpen said:
The Yamato is Virgil's sword, seen in the DMC4 trailers released so far.

....what are you talking about :| No it didn't

Yea it did, same with rebellion. Yamato was given to Vergil and Rebellion was given to Dante from their father as a gift.

Mrbob

Just played the PS3 version. DMC games feel like home with the sixaxis pad. God it felt so much nicer controlling nero. The X360 pad works, but the ps3 pad is much better.

Other things of note:

I got my PS3 on HDMI and 360 on component, and yeah the 360 version does look slightly sharper. But the PS3 version had better color saturation for me. Much more vibrant.

Audio wise, no contest. X360 DD sounded a bit muffled on my surround system while the PS3 version was crystal clear. I'm just using a regular 5.1 system as well. I was shocked at how much more clear the sounds and music were on the PS3.

Of course the final kicker will be the dual shock 3 controller when I get it.

I wouldn't go buy a PS3 if you only have a X360 to play this game. They are both close overall.

gkryhewy

Mrbob said:
I wouldn't go buy a PS3 if you only have a X360 to play this game.

Come on - did that really need saying? :lol :lol Because I was really on the fence about buying a PS3 for THIS GAME, just to get a more traditional controller and keep it in the "family" :lol

Top Bottom