• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

123rl

I loved the demo - it's too early to judge Nero as you don't have many moves available, but the potential is definitely there. The Berial fight is cool though

LowParry

ypo said:
Uhh it's incredibly obvious there's AA on the PS3 version.

Not really. You can tell right off the start of the demo of each version when it mentions about this is a working title and it may have bugs. The lack of AA in the PS3 version is so obvious. But damn it has better color.

Nemesis_

Teknoman said:
They really said that? Its just a demon powered grapple arm...dunno what was so complicated about that.
This was in very early stages mind you - we didn't even know what the Devil Bringer was at the time. When I heard that common originally, I thought it was some kind of summon system, as it brings devils hence, Devil Bringer :lol

karasu

Nemesis556 said:
Here's what I don't understand - originally they said that the Devil Bringer was "something we can't do on anything but the PS3", yet the game is now available on multiple consoles AND I don't see what's so amazing about it.

Was this some scrapped feature or what?

I called that thing a glorified throw button about a million months ago. It's cool, epecially how it looks, but it aint that special.

Danielsan

Nemesis556 said:
This was in very early stages mind you - we didn't even know what the Devil Bringer was at the time. When I heard that common originally, I thought it was some kind of summon system, as it brings devils hence, Devil Bringer :lol
Well that's what it will become later in the game.

My initial response to the demo was dissapointment but I've been toying around abit in the demo and I'm finally feeling the love again. :D

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I was a bit sceptical about this game, but the demo sealed the deal for me. Day 1 baby! Nero is as cocky and badass as Dante, I love the way he acted in the Berial-cutscene. The rythm of the demo was also a piece of excellent work. Capgods confirmed!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Wow the graphics in this game... This is the first time in this gen that a game matches the bullshots. DAMN! Also, the gameplay was up to par, fuck it was almost what I would expect from a next gen NG. I will not pick this day one, but if for some reason Itagaki doesn't deliver the goods this will be the best possible tittle to fall back on.
Teknoman said:
Now to hope that the "Accomplishments" in the PS3 version will get their own 3d trophies in HOME. :D

They really said that? Its just a demon powered grapple arm...dunno what was so complicated about that.
I think he was talking about the grapple mechanics and how you are translated from one zone to another without loading times or texture pop in. At that point the developers might have assumed that only the PS3 had the hardware to accomplish that. Its a feat on its own, it feels very "fresh".

DrXym

Played the PS3 version. The graphics and framerate were fantastic in the demo, but I thought the constant walking through doors and accompanying whooshing to a new area was disconcerting and very badly done.

Kyoufu

Mugen said:
wtf, where are the youtube videos showing off some mad combos and shat.

Demo has only been available for one day. Give people time to become familiar with Exceed and to be able to show it off on enemies that die very quickly.

dralla

The enemies die too fast to pull off crazy combo's

probably my favorite move in the demo.

oemwx.gif

unlike the normal high roller, the ex version goes all the way around, and as you can see, I hit the guy behind me as well

KTallguy

Banned
dralla said:
The enemies die too fast to pull off crazy combo's

probably my favorite move in the demo.

oemwx.gif

unlike the normal high roller, the ex version goes all the way around, and as you can see, I hit the guy behind me as well

Yea, those just frame revs are fun, but I have trouble doing them while actually concentrating on combos :lol

Awesome through and through though.

Demo is really boring to me. I'm sure most of it can be written off as simply too easy, but the huge amounts of slowly running about in a completely dead environment really sucks and seems like that's something that will make it to the final game.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
This game has the best taunts in the history of games.

Nero putting his sword to the ground and revving it as taunting (like in the cutscene with dante) is one of the most awesomest and badass things ever.

edit: Vid of ALL nero's taunts in the demo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioIpMkBCbKk

ROFL i dunno if its just me, but his SSS moves Taunt seems like a Power rangers signature move :lol

Defuser

Haha!! Finally found a good combo video:

Now this is how you play Devil May Cry people!!!! DMC is all about Stylish action!!!!

Dot50Cal

Banned
On the subject of comparisons, it seems I was a bit hasty in saying that the textures were lower resolution on the PS3 version. I cant be 100% certain, but it seems the PS3 is applying a post processing effect which blurs some area's of the screen during motion (and this game doesn't exactly sit still for you). Another thing I noticed is that the 360 has better mipmap tansitions but in odd places, as if its forced LOD to max. It can make things appear really sharp from a distance but it really shouldn't be. Take this set for an example:

360:
http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/gaf/dmc4/3608.png

PS3:
http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/gaf/dmc4/PS38.png

These are both lossless captures, so they should rule out any artifacting. Though as some have pointed out the PS3 shots are a bit more blurred due to the PS3's analog (component) output not being as sharp as the 360's. Thanks goes to the fellas over at Beyond3D for their technical knowledge :)

Rekwest

Some tips I've found helpful...

You can actually rev during sword melee. The timing is between sword combo strikes (Y, LT, Y, LT, etc). There are two ground combos. First is the 4-strike (Y, Y, Y, Y). Then there's the cooler 7-strike (Y, Y, *pause 'till 2nd animation is almost finished, Y, Y, Y, Y, Y). The Blue Rose (Nero's gun) has a charged shot (hold X) which is an instant knockdown on the small guys. Nero's forward dash/slash (hold RB then towards enemy hold Y) and launch/aerial rave (same but hold away from enemy) moves have a few invinciblity frames at the start that you can exploit during boss battles. When you're fighting Berial and his flames go out, walk up to him and just hit B for an entertaining throw. Just make sure you keep away from him when he gets up, because he goes Nuclear in anger.

I'm liking the demo a lot, and can see myself at least renting it when it releases.

Dot50Cal said:
comparison pics

When you switch between those pics, it is quite obvious the 360 versions textures are sharper. But as you said, it may be a blur thing or whatever. Saying that the textures are sharper doesn't necessarily mean it looks better though. On some things the blur looks good, on others the sharper texture looks better.

Now I shall go back and beat that fire dude.

GrayFoxPL

Dot50Cal said:
On the subject of comparisons, it seems I was a bit hasty in saying that the textures were lower resolution on the PS3 version. I cant be 100% certain, but it seems the PS3 is applying a post processing effect which blurs some area's of the screen during motion (and this game doesn't exactly sit still for you). Another thing I noticed is that the 360 has better mipmap tansitions but in odd places, as if its forced LOD to max. It can make things appear really sharp from a distance but it really shouldn't be. Take this set for an example:

360:

PS3:

These are both lossless captures, so they should rule out any artifacting. Though as some have pointed out the PS3 shots are a bit more blurred due to the PS3's analog (component) output not being as sharp as the 360's. Thanks goes to the fellas over at Beyond3D for their technical knowledge :)

All fine, but why didn't you use hdmi for ps3? Mine through hdmi DMC4 gives razor sharp picture and honestly it's the best quality I've seen on PS3 yet. Uncharted looks really jaggy in comparsion, at least on my set.

Btw. If looking at those pics someone says that one version looks "much better" o even "noticeably better" then the other, I'll come to their home and wring necks of their fucking hamsters.

Enough is enough.

Dot50Cal

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:
All fine, but why didn't you use hdmi for ps3?

PS3 has HDCP enabled for playback during games when using HDMI. HDMI capture cards (which are hard to find and expensive) do not record HDCP streams. You would need to buy a PS3 debug, and by then you are in the thousands of dollars range.

GrayFoxPL said:
Btw. If looking at those pics someone says that one version looks "much better" o even "noticeably better" then the other, I'll come to their home and wring necks of their fucking hamsters.

Enough is enough.

You really cannot tell a difference in sharpness of the textures? Granted this is nit picking to the infinite degree, and I really couldn't care less what version people buy, but you have to be blind to not see ANY difference. Granted it is a small difference, but it is still there.

Surfheart

Dot50Cal said:

360:

PS3:

I've played both versions of the demo now and they are incredibly close graphically. The only differences I noticed playing them back to back is that the PS3 version is ever so slightly more aliased. It also tends to "stutter" every now and then. (easy to see on the second cycle of the attract sequence where a street lamp moves across the fov.

Either way, a fun and beautiful game no matter which version you end up with.

Edit: ^^ Soz :(

Feindflug

Played the 360 demo and I have to say that it's freakin' amazing - loved it! Still haven't played the PS3 demo though (DMC4 demo isn't available yet on the greek PSN).

My only complaint with the 360 version is the RB as the lock-on button it just feels weird but thank god the final version has customizable controls - still can't decide which version to get though... :/

Dot50Cal

Banned
FilosopherStoner said:
You really cannot tell a difference in sharpness of the textures?

At a closer glance the difference in texture sharpness seems to be the mipmaps being forced (think of LOD Bias on video cards) on the 360 version, which can be a good thing but in some cases leads to oversharpened textures like on the puppet here:

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/gaf/dmc4/3605.jpg
http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/gaf/dmc4/PS35.jpg

It also seems the PS3 version is applying a blur post processing effect (is this traditional? I seem to recall the previous games in the series having this as well) and the better ice shaders. So the really ironic thing is the PS3 version may indeed be more true to the games vision :lol

I really need to find someone who can do that so I can record it in HD :D

GrayFoxPL

FilosopherStoner said:
You really cannot tell a difference in sharpness of the textures? Granted this is nit picking to the infinite degree, and I really couldn't care less what version people buy, but you have to be blind to not see ANY difference. Granted it is a small difference, but it is still there.

I said that it isn't "noticeably better" not that there isn't any, even tiny, whiney bit of difference. You said it yourself that it's nit picking to the infinite degree. I just loose it when people say bullshit like "Oh, it's MUCH better!".

Edit: Btw I played the demo and then looked at the first comparsion pics and got them confused because my ps3 output looked exactly like 360 pics in terms of sharpness and gamma. Ps3 pics were tiny bit off.

Maggot9

Banned
godhandiscen said:
Wow the graphics in this game... This is the first time in this gen that a game matches the bullshots. DAMN!

If it matches the screens then they were never bullshots were they?

bluheim

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:
Btw I played the demo first and then looked at the first comparsion pics and got them confused at first because my ps3 output looked exactly like 360 pics in terms of sharpness and gamma. Ps3 pics were tiny bit off.

Same here. Is this due to HDMI or something ? I'll take pictures of the demo on my TV set, when I'm back home.

GrayFoxPL said:
I said that it isn't "noticeably better" not that there isn't any, even tiny, whiney bit of difference. You said it yourself that it's nit picking to the infinite degree. I just loose it when people say bullshit like "Oh, it's MUCH better!".

Agreed, anyone that says one version looks much better than the other is just trying to start a war.

Dot50Cal said:
At a closer glance the difference in texture sharpness seems to be the mipmaps being forced (think of LOD Bias on video cards) on the 360 version, which can be a good thing but in some cases leads to oversharpened textures like on the puppet here:

While in the example you showed, I think the 360 version looks better (sharper textures) in the pictures, I wouldn't doubt that the PS3 looks better in motion because of the blur. I feel that when blur is applied and not overdone, it makes the game look so much better.

I don't really care, but for the sake of argument, I wonder if the PS3 pics are in fact being post-processed, or the textures just aren't shaded as well as the 360 version. I think both versions look fantastic, and I wouldn't be able to spot these differences without these pics everyone keeps posting.

hteng

Banned
hmm.. is it me or the character feels kinda sluggish, often times when i wanna cancel my combos and jump out of harms way im always stuck in the combo, and the camera gets crazy when you are stuck at a wall with berial humping you in front.

Nemesis_

Do you mean the shockwave type of attack? I call it Apocalypse myself cos it reminds me of a Nuke hitting Raccoon =P

Anyway, just run away and keep jumping - I always avoid it now.

The two versions are too close to call graphically. I did catch the 360 version tearing during the run up to the frosts, but it stopped doing it while I was looking at it, so I guess maybe it was related to loading? Didn't see any difference during the combat, which is where it counts. The PS3 looked sharper, while the 360 looked darker, but my PS3 is through HDMI, while the 360 is through component.

That shit out of the way... WAHAY! Great fun. Managed to get a couple of S's, almost made it to Berial before time ran out. Almost killed him in the second mode. Another go and he's toast, but my fingers ache, and I should sleep.

Pity that our hero still can't open doors, and has the same terrible taste in music as his predecessor, but hey, that's part of the charm I guess.

Has anyone tried it with a DS2? Can't say I'm a massive fan of sprung triggers in this sort of game. Especially if I need to use them in the middle of a combo.

Danielsan

fabs115 said:
so is there any way to completely avoid berial's fire attack? it drains health wow
Hold RB> analog stick back and press A a couple of times to quickly move out of its way. Not that hard really.

Kyoufu

fabs115 said:
so is there any way to completely avoid berial's fire attack? it drains health wow

The SSJ4 shockwave you can avoid by either jumping over or just staying away, it has limited reach.

The "DIE!" lava attacks from underneath are easily avoided by running and/or jumping.

justjohn

fabs115 said:
yeah i would like to know this too. i was so close to beating him. i also wished they hadnt timed the demo, i kinda got lost
edit. thanks for answering

Kyoufu

justjohn said:
yeah i would like to know this too. i was so close to beating him. i also wished they hadnt timed the demo, i kinda got lost
edit. thanks for answering

The second mode starts off at the ice area where the frosts are and isn't timed. Thats where I spend my time at now since the enemies in the timed level are just waaaaaaaaaaaay too weak for me to do anything worthy on.

Darkpen

Banned
Defuser said:
Haha!! Finally found a good combo video:

Now this is how you play Devil May Cry people!!!! DMC is all about Stylish action!!!!
....and where is this said video?, unless you're referring to the youtube one.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It also seems the PS3 version is applying a blur post processing effect (is this traditional? I seem to recall the previous games in the series having this as well) and the better ice shaders. So the really ironic thing is the PS3 version may indeed be more true to the games vision
Yes, there is mild post processing while simply moving around (just like the old DMC games). They also use some kickass object motion blur during cutscenes (I assume that's in the 360 build as well, but that cutscene screen shot seems to suggest otherwise).

The textures are exactly the same on both versions, though. Only minor filtering differences exist.

It's nice that there is absolutely no loading between rooms, though. It was never that fast with the PS2 games.

Top Bottom