• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

boco77

Banned
I'm surprised noone else mentioned this but the game doesnt run at 60fps all the time. The cutscenes are locked at 30fps, although they look great. Theres definately a better looking character model of Nero in the cutscenes than when you are controlling him. Kinda like what FF7 did :p difference being those were pre rendered.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
boco77 said:
I'm surprised noone else mentioned this but the game doesnt run at 60fps all the time. The cutscenes are locked at 30fps, although they look great. Theres definately a better looking character model of Nero in the cutscenes than when you are controlling him. Kinda like what FF7 did :p difference being those were pre rendered.

true

dunno if its just the demo...

methane47

boco77 said:

You're playing on the 360 right?

No_Style

dralla said:
the comparison talk was just starting to die down too :[

Yes. We should be discussing more pressing issues:

20080125.jpg

No write up yet.

Narcosis

So, while everyone bickers about graphics textures and blur, what's up with the gameplay for people who are combo gods? I can manage to just barely hit an S rank in some fights before I kill everything, is anyone here hitting SS and SSS yet or are you finding the enemies lifespans to be too short too?

I think you can solve the problem of enemies dying too fast by upping the difficulty. At least that's how it was in DMC3, they got an HP boost but were still really dumb.

akachan ningen said:
I think you can solve the problem of enemies dying too fast by upping the difficulty. At least that's how it was in DMC3, they got an HP boost but were still really dumb.

Well honestly I don't like enemies that take forever to die just because they have a lot of health. That's no fun.

Narcosis

akachan ningen said:

In the retail versions of the DMC games that's true, I was talking just about the demo.

Mamesj

Banned
Narcosis said:
So, while everyone bickers about graphics textures and blur, what's up with the gameplay for people who are combo gods? I can manage to just barely hit an S rank in some fights before I kill everything, is anyone here hitting SS and SSS yet or are you finding the enemies lifespans to be too short too?

I'm not a combo god, but I've just barely hit S rank once--on the ice demons, of course. Seems like the only place where SS and SSS are possible is on Berial, but I probably just suck ;)

Narcosis

Mamesj said:
I'm not a combo god, but I've just barely hit S rank once--on the ice demons, of course. Seems like the only place where SS and SSS are possible is on Berial, but I probably just suck ;)

I just barely managed S rank on the ice demons too, and on the last batch of enemies at the end of the docks. I don't by any means consider myelf a DMC expert, just someone who played quite a bit of 1 and 3 and is familiar with stuff like Dante Must Die and Heaven and hell. I was just curious if any of the more uber players were in this thread and if they were hitting SSS ranks on the demo.

Mamesj

Banned
Narcosis said:
I just barely managed S rank on the ice demons too, and on the last batch of enemies at the end of the docks. I don't by any means consider myelf a DMC expert, just someone who played quite a bit of 1 and 3 and is familiar with stuff like Dante Must Die and Heaven and hell. I was just curious if any of the more uber players were in this thread and if they were hitting SSS ranks on the demo.

The guy got up to double S in the combo vid (no triple though.)

Kritz

Banned
After more attempts than I'd like to admit, I finally beat that bastard Berial. Now, speaking as a DMC virgin, there are a few things that really irked me. I thought the monster count was far too low, even for a demo. When I first saw the mess of little demons running around in an out-of-reach area, I assumed I'd be able to fight them all at once.

In previous Devil May Cry games, how many enemies were there to fight at once? Or do monsters in this game favour high defence over sheer numbers?

I think most of my other gripes have to do with the fact that, no matter how much I pretend, this game is not Ninja Gaiden. But from the demo, it looks like a great game in its own right, and I'll probably pick it up regardless of any silly bias I might have.

sprocket

Banned
sprocket said:
This is my last post in this thread! yay!

you can see how the shadows and textures are a bit rougher in the 360 version. Like i said before.. the 360 textures shimmer where as the ps3 version doesnt. the ps3 version seems to have a layer of mip mapping the 360 doesnt.

ps3:

360:

reposted for truth.

[Nintex]

sprocket said:
reposted for truth.
But no one cares, gamers with an Xbox will buy the 360 version, gamers with a PS3 will buy this for the PS3. It's the same game with minimal changes because the Nvidia/ATi GPU's handle things differently. There is no superior version, it all comes down to the console you have or the controller you like best. But there's nothing wrong with any of the versions. The PS3 build isn't a blurfest and the Xbox 360 AA and shadows are just fine. Just let it rest...

anyone know any good combo vids out there?

This is my first experience with DMC, tbh. Switching targets with the lock on is probably the biggest hurdle for me.

sprocket

Banned
[Nintex] said:
But no one cares, gamers with an Xbox will buy the 360 version, gamers with a PS3 will buy this for the PS3. It's the same game with minimal changes because the Nvidia/ATi GPU's handle things differently. There is no superior version, it all comes down to the console you have or the controller you like best. But there's nothing wrong with any of the versions. The PS3 build isn't a blurfest and the Xbox 360 AA and shadows are just fine. Just let it rest...

I agree its too close to really matter. Its just weird that people are not calling it what it is .. MIP MAPPING .. some how now its a BAD THING? :lol

The only real difference between the 2 demos and it all may be because they are earlier builds? Is that the textures shimmer in the 360 version( no/little mip mapping?) and the the ice effect looks better in the 360 version.

sprocket

Banned
FilosopherStoner said:
Not only is it sad, but what do those pictures prove? I'm either blind or the only difference is the time left in the demo.

look at the textures and shadows. :/

anyway why cant I post the pics? we got the guys from xboxyde posting pics.

Im just showing what the others wont. Youdo want to know both sides of the story correct?

Narcosis said:
I'm not a DMC uber player by any means, but I managed to hit a SS rank at the end of the first demo (right before you switch to the snow area of the second demo).

[Nintex]

sprocket said:

Im just showing what the others wont. Youdo want to know both sides of the story correct?
Stop looking at the textures and shadows and just play the game. Wait it's not even out yet, aren't we talking about a trial version from TGS? Gamersyde stuff is appreciated because:
A: They don't go overboard with comparing games and post direct feed instead of 1000x enlarged ugly up-close TV shots.
B: Most footage they release is from preview builds that we don't have access to.
C: Gamersyde rules.

No offense, but I'm sick of comparing games and I don't care which version is superior. Espcecially not when we're looking at shadows or counting pixels on the screen.

Both sides of the story? The PS3 version isn't covered in blur and the shadows of the Xbox 360 version are just fine. Capcom delivered one of the best looking games of the generation with a very impressive framerate. The animations are insane in this game :O

Sysgen

Played this last night on my PS3 because Microsoft in it's brillance won't let the majority of it's userbase play the demo this week. My gold account just expired and I'm not renewing for another couple of weeks so it was off to the PS3 for the DMC4 demo. I can just imagine there were a few fuck you MS comments last night as the majority of 360 users were locked out of the hottest demo of the new year.

I enjoyed the demo immensely and will be picking it up day 1 thouigh I wasn't thinking about getting it on release. For the first time this generation I'm getting the PS3 version in support of SONY who made the demo available to their entire userbase.

Lince

Banned
after playing 10+ times each version of the demo I'm still undecided, in my Bravia LCD the PS3 ver has better color saturation, somewhat better lighting and I rellay like the subtle blur... on the other hand there's minor slowdown during combat and that doesn't happen with the 360 version, which looks sharper and higher-res in some parts... the controller is no longer an issue so I guess I'll have to wait 2 more weeks until the experts here scrutinize the final code :lol

Amazing how "360 is looking better" comparisons have been going on since the middle of the thread, but as soon as sprocket posts something that shows something else... :lol

Metalmurphy said:
Amazing how "360 is looking better" comparisons have been going on since the middle of the thread, but as soon as sprocket posts something that shows something else... :lol
Dot50Cal... not fanboy.
sprocket...

Psychotext said:
You're saying Dot50Cal is biased? Wasn't he the one pointing out the framerate issues on the 360 version of the Burnout demo just a little while back?
I'm saying it doesn't fucking matter who does it.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
On the subject of comparisons, it seems I was a bit hasty in saying that the textures were lower resolution on the PS3 version. I cant be 100% certain, but it seems the PS3 is applying a post processing effect which blurs some area's of the screen during motion (and this game doesn't exactly sit still for you). Another thing I noticed is that the 360 has better mipmap tansitions but in odd places, as if its forced LOD to max. It can make things appear really sharp from a distance but it really shouldn't be. Take this set for an example:

Using the higher res mip-maps leads to texture aliasing. To much information in too little pixel space. While people are taking this as higher res textures, it is just an artifact. The PS2 did not support mip-mapping at all, which was why all the distant texture werre "swimming" and pixelated. I wonder why the DMC4 devs went with different LOD - did they just want to use any extra RAM on the 360? (higher res mip-maps are of course larger in RAM)

sprocket

Banned
DeadGzuz said:
Using the higher res mip-maps leads to texture aliasing. To much information in too little pixel space. While people are taking this as higher res textures, it is just an artifact. The PS2 did not support mip-mapping at all, which was why all the distant texture werre "swimming" and pixelated. I wonder why the DMC4 devs went with different LOD - did they just want to use any extra RAM on the 360? (higher res mip-maps are of course larger in RAM)

bingo.. I would be happy if they just admit the texture shimmering in the 360 version myself.

Chao

Sysgen said:
Played this last night on my PS3 because Microsoft in it's brillance won't let the majority of it's userbase play the demo this week. My gold account just expired and I'm not renewing for another couple of weeks so it was off to the PS3 for the DMC4 demo. I can just imagine there were a few fuck you MS comments last night as the majority of 360 users were locked out of the hottest demo of the new year.

I enjoyed the demo immensely and will be picking it up day 1 thouigh I wasn't thinking about getting it on release. For the first time this generation I'm getting the PS3 version in support of SONY who made the demo available to their entire userbase.

Too bad they will never know of this heroic deed.

zoukka said:
Try DMC3. In DMD the enemies have like 500% health and they regenerate.

I played through that one on normal... still I don't really recall running into that problem, though a lot of enemies in action games are sorta like this.

FIREBABY

Will somebody please tell me what "revving" does. On a side note, man is this game stylish. I only briefly played DMC1. Sorry I just couldn't get into it, but this is a day 1 purchase for me. I don't know what it is. But this just works for me. Maybe its the arm.

Takuan

I noticed slowdown during cutscenes in the PS3 demo. Nothing significant. What irritates me more is the banding my set shows... it's all over the place, and highly annoying. Fucking LCD technology. It's a Sony KDL32S3000, in case anyone was wondering. I regret having blind faith in this particular product.

Back on topic, the game is just as expected. It's pretty enough, with the exception of a few ugly ground textures, and it has the same gameplay as before. I really like Nero's "GET OVER HERE" devil arm move, it's a ton of fun to use. I'll probably wind up buying it.

sprocket said:

Great, I'm glad your last post in this thread was many pages ago, so we don't have to listen to you now... oh wait

Top Bottom